XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xenocide Project Still Going?

Doctoxic

Hi guys
am new to the forum - love the xcom games and this xenocide looks really cool

anyway, i wondered how active this project still is as the download seems to be dated November 2003

please please tell me that this game is still being worked on :happybanana:

Doc

In a word, yes! :D

We are still going - you can't get rid of us that easily. A lot of work is going on behind the scenes, although no downloadable material has been made available recently. Correct me if I am wrong RK, but are we working on Alpha 5?

it never ceases to amaze me that :

1) there still appears to be so much interest in this type of game
yet
2) good strategy games just don't seem to be made anymore

the fact that we are all still excited about a 10 year old game must say something about the strength of gameplay over graphics

good luck you guys

Doc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
well I'm new here and x-com ufo defence and apoc have been two of my favorite games. when i was looking around for something like it I stumbled onto this project.

this is an open source project and all, but...where's the source code?

I ask this because I've been making my own game (primitive graphics, unrelated to x-com other than its turnbased) and I just wanted to see how your code looked and how the game was being put together. Since I'm a senior in high school I'll have a lot of time after first quarter ends and I'd be more than happy to do some really basic coding (doing the stuff you could get a monkey to do, typing in unit stats, anything I can do to help).

cheers :beer:

Here is some info on how to get and compile our code: [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type%3d%70ost&id=5093"]http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?ac...pe=post&id=5093[/url].

If you want to be a part of the project, then I suggest to go here: [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showforum=103"]http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showforum=103[/url]. Do some reading and make some posting, so you could be promoted to the recruit status. This status will give you an access to lots more information.

After that, just do your work! :D

• 3 months later...
[quote name='shunx' date='Jan 19 2005, 06:26 PM']I see that thousands of users have joined since I first saw this site. Being greedy, I'm hoping for a playable beta before 2010. Otherwise 2020 would be fine too, haha...
[right][post="107953"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

dunno m8, that's a pretty strict deadline :wink1:

• 2 months later...
Guest Maluvin

Just want to say both me and my friends anxiously await every bit of progress you guys make.

Just wish I knew how to code so I could help LOL.

actually, the pictures on that site are primarely abandoned, sucky, and outdated. :) Edited by mikker

• 4 months later...

"1) there still appears to be so much interest in this type of game

yet

2) good strategy games just don't seem to be made anymore"

- The original games were big fun. It was a very good game.

I enjoyed buying new soldiers, train them to decent stats, and sometimes mourn their loss

(i admit it, i cheated sometimes to not lose a main guy i liked hehe, i reloaded an older save file

and started from there), while going on with the main game. It was fun to research... it combined many

different game genres together. (On an off topic, there was some adventure... space quest or so. dont recall the name, quest for glory in space, space ques.t.. erhm.... where you could play some arcade game in it, in a game hall. I found this funny... i think it was space invaders or so, where you fly a plane in space and shoot at something... i cant recall)

The overall game feel really was the most important difference compared to other games (and I actually

loved the last release the most... apocalypse or so. The graphics were very decent compared to the

2nd sequel, where you fought under sea...which was great too btw.)

Nowadays, Ego Shooters or Pseudo MMORPG with endless hack n slay seem to lead

the pack. These kind of games are very boring for me. I am especially mad at the Ego Shooters.

I am not really that amazed at the rendering. Many parts seem to be very poorly rendered, just look at some World of Warcraft scenes. Or Doom, which seems to lose it all by having a dark atmosphere - lazy details? ;)

Half Life 2 is a bit different probably, but personally, I become more and more tired of that kind of rendering. Why does it always have to follow the same trend ?

There is actually only one game the last 4 years or so that i liked to play, which was Blizzard's

Warcraft in Multiplayer. Sure, the graphics are comic-like with too much colours, and the game will be the same after you played it 100 times, and outcomes become very predictable.... but its still fun.

( Blizzard's WoW to me was one of the biggest disappointments I have ever seen in the last time.

They advertized it a lot, and then, IMHO, it sucked incredibly much. )

Edited by shevegen

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot believe that people are actually taking time out to bring out a new form of Xcom. And i have to say that's fantastic, i've enjoyed playing this game for years since it came out back in the day.

Wish you guys all the luck and support to continue with it!

Kiddo

I cannot believe that people are actually taking time out to bring out a new form of Xcom. And i have to say that's fantastic, i've enjoyed playing this game for years since it came out back in the day.

Wish you guys all the luck and support to continue with it!

Kiddo

By the way something i forgot to ask was, is there a trial or finished work out at the moment? If so how could i go about getting my hands on it?

Thanks in advance =)

Kiddo

• 2 weeks later...
Hello there, I've been observing this project for a quite some time and after seeing the videos in here (Video) I was somewhat suprised, as these were made a well over a year ago and were far more advanced than I had expected this project to be. So I'm asking, your rough guess, how large % of v 1.0 is done/satisfactory? Edited by Nerkaarium

from what little i understand about how programming is going, battlescape is right now a second priority so it isn't very far along... but it might be farther than i think

yes, and i remember some people were saying that that was a bit generous too, but a few of us didn't exactly believe that. But i definately remember September 2004 as a possible release date... and its almost October now

Guest Azrael
BTW, there still is a "We expect to have a playable game (without most of the bells and whistles) by the end of 2004." on the site :). (Under the "What is xenocide" link in the corner)

Hmm, that link still points to the old FAQ...

Edit: Mindstormmaster has fixed it :)

Edited by Azrael

• 2 months later...

BTW just as a reminder (most of the time we get this mistake), progress releases are sort of internal development releases, even though we publish them in the site, there hasnt been any real public release (With press release and that).

Greetings

Red Knight

• 1 month later...

Hey guys? just a small question for those who are associated with the programming etc.

Is Xenocide going to use any TFTD charactoristics? As in an amalgamation of the 2 very similiar games?

PS please in no way construe this as a complaint/ request/ demand etc etc just a simple question.

I suppose I could download whats available and see for myself but honestly I really want to see this completed and then i wanna savor it to the last battle.

PSS sorry if this is in the improper forum ima "newbie" round here and still wandering around trying to figure out where everything is...oh n wasnt me who peed in the plant either........ i found the can already