XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xcom Apocalypse

Guest jwh

Xcom Apocalypse seems to be the most problematic of all the Xcoms to run.

I've got a problem thatI can't solve. I can't get Xcom Apocalpyse to run under Win98SE. It installed fine and started up OK but after I tried to configure the sound ,It froze. After rebooting when I tried to run the game, it loads DOS4gw and then quits. If I load it under DOS, I get the error there is no mouse.

The machine I'm using a Duron 900MHZ with 256 mb RAM and Win 98

What can I do to solve this problem.

I've noticed that getting apoc to work on so many different machines really does seem to be a problem and a headache. I'm running Win98 2nd ed. at the moment and I can get apoc to run fine for me, but I've run into your same problems before. I can only think of three possible solutions off the top of my head. One is that you could delete the game, reinstall it, and play it without sound. Next is to run it in DOS mode after you get the mouse to load. There's usually a file somewhere on your hard drive called mouse.com that you could run while in DOS mode. The third is to go to this web site: http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/

and download the newest version of VDMSound. After installing it, set up

Apocalypse to use a Sound Blaster, 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1 (the default for SB

emulation under VDMSound). Exit and save from the setup program. A little more explanation of this topic particular solution can be found here: http://www.xcomufo.com/xcom3fix.html and though this info is for XP, it might work for you. Hopefully something works for you. Good luck.

-Micah

[email protected]

www.xcomufo.com

Guest Zorkatoid

Got problem whit x-com apocalypse.

Have win2000pro 1700MHz athlon etc...

Try to run, starts, start menu (the one whit start new,

load and quit), try to move mouse, mouse pointer "trapped"

in upper left corner (can move 2x2cm area).

How come?

Anyone?

Plz?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest stewart
But doesn't XP have a 95 emulation kind of thing so people can play games. As I recall XP is based on NT which was game hostile, but still microsoft must've realized the games is a big part of the home computer environment.

I can install, but I can't get it to run past the intro.

You may need to launch special prefs for the installed (such as enabling low-level CD-ROM support.) If I recall, VDM sound has a program called launchpad which hooks the dos IRQ calls and emulates a soundblaster into directsound (or disk, if you care).

I think it's...

http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/%7Evromas/vdmsound/

This MAY help. It may not. Still won't let me run APOC.

Weird. It runs just fine for me.

System stats: PIII-866 running Win98SE w/ 384MB RAM. Nvidia Geforce2 Ultra/64MB graphics card. Asus 52x CD-ROM. Creative SBLive 5.1 sound - using the SB16 emulation.

and btw... I found that the alien dimension crash bug only occurs with the "small" downloadable version of XC3 on this site. The bigger ISO version does not cause the bug. I have no idea why.

i do have probs with Apoc too.

when i try running it it loads but it does like a fatal crash.

it gives me all kinds of numbers 8873290ff3926fffff39176

a big list..

i dunno if it may be corrupted files...:angry:

The small hard drive version on my site has been known to have lots of error like missing directories, so files could certainly be missing or corrupted as well. I didn't make the file myself (so don't blame me! :) I dled it off grokster and just put it up without even trying it first cause I don't really like Apocalypse. Maybe I'll take it down off the site since the ISO is up. But depending on what the ISO does to my bandwidth, I don't know if it will stay online, too. Has anybody other than sparrowhawk dled the ISO and seen whether it fixed your problems? Please let me know.

The small hard drive version on my site has been known to have lots of error like missing directories, so files could certainly be missing or corrupted as well. I didn't make the file myself (so don't blame me! :) I dled it off grokster and just put it up without even trying it first cause I don't really like Apocalypse. Maybe I'll take it down off the site since the ISO is up. But depending on what the ISO does to my bandwidth, I don't know if it will stay online, too. Has anybody other than sparrowhawk dled the ISO and seen whether it fixed your problems? Please let me know.

Micah, ill never blame you, Thanx to you i got both Ufo and TFTD :D

u took of Apoc now? off or its was allready down? <---- The ISO

It's probably the guy's who made the CD-Rip (hard drive version) fault. They probably didn't play the game through and everything else semth to be working so they released it.

It's probably the guy's who made the CD-Rip (hard drive version) fault. They probably didn't play the game through and everything else semth to be working so they released it.

i dont know man, maybe windows is problem too, i used to play it on XP,

Xp was unstable with me so i got bac kto win2k..

and now cant play it

oh well... :(

:LOL: well they were saying that the game worked till they got to the alien world or something :). The people that crack games usually try to do a 0-7 day release so they don't got time to play the game actually :) at least ;) that is my understanding of the warez d00dz culture ;) warez tha warez?

Micah, ill never blame you, Thanx to you i got both Ufo and TFTD  :D

u took of Apoc now? off or its was allready down? <---- The ISO

Whoops, it is indeed down now. I think the bosses there noticed the sudden jump in bandwidth use and located the culprit. I hope those of you who needed it go it. I haven't the slightest idea where I would put the ISO now. It would cost something like $75/year just to host this one file. I don't think I'm willing to pay for that.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest jonboy_2000
Apocalypse does not like Nvidia Riva TNT 2 graphics cards, it runs fine on my computer now that i changed the graphics card. I suggest Radeon or if you can, older ones such as Voodoo. Compatibility doesn't seem to have been on the forefront of the game maker's minds. Also, new hard drvies are literally 'too fast' for it, as on my new pentium 2.8 laptop it claims my disk cache is too slow on setup, and that my cd drive is too slow. Its actually better to run the game on older systems in DOS or on windows 95/98. Hope that helps! :D

• 1 month later...
Guest mo5.com

Subject: Why Apocalypse does crach on my notebook / XP !!

Hi everyone !

Finally, i have found why on earth this Xcom Apocalypse does crash on my notebook :

The problem is : the USB wheel mouse !!!

Yes, believe it. I have installed VDMSOUND and stuff, and everything works perfectly on my XP as soon as i don't use my USB mouse !

If i do, every fast move i make does crash Xcomapoc ! But it does work perfectly with the integrated mousepad (still, unplayed with this).

The lesson is : you should get Apoc to work with a serial/ps2 mouse under XP, without any troubles ^_^

I just intalled the Logitech driver for my usb mouse, but nothing changes. Still searching...

See u,

mo5.com