XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Do You Like UFO2000?

Mustang

Do you like UFO2000?  

146 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I only played the demo... is the game good?

[quote name='Black Dash' date='Feb 29 2004, 05:40 PM']I only played the demo... is the game good?[/quote]
demo? what demo?
UFO2000 is a multiplayer game based on the X-Com saga: [url="http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net"]http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net[/url]

OOps! I made a mistake... sorry! :rolleyes:

By the way, a new version of UFO2000 has been released.
So those who answered "Whats UFO2000?" at this poll, have a chance to try it. :)
Just go to [url="http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net"]http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net[/url] and download it.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Mustang' date='Feb 21 2004, 12:13 AM']As for me, I love UFO2000, I play it everyday. The internet servers normally have at least one person online now so it is twice as fun :D[/quote]
:huh: I can hardly find opponent, and when I do, something goes wrong, thus none of my games was finished. :(

But I like it. :)

[quote name='Extralucas' date='Apr 21 2004, 01:14 AM']:huh: I can hardly find opponent, and when I do, something goes wrong, thus none of my games was finished. :([/quote]

Well, looking at server statistics, seems that you have played 5 games for the last week. One of them was stopped because one of the players just exited from the game (at least server interprets it so), and 4 remaining games were finished without any problems.

[url="http://ufo2000.lxnt.info/results.php"]http://ufo2000.lxnt.info/results.php[/url]

I'm really very curious, is the server statistics wrong?
If the statistics is wrong, that's a bug that needs to be fixed as soon as possible, the server should log any errors encountered. If it misses some problems, that's not good at all. So the developers are even unaware of your problems and therefore can't fix them in the next versions :(

Providing feedback and bugreports is very important for making the game better. Critical bugfixes (fixes of the bugs that make the game unplayable) are the top priority task.

Now about finding the opponents. Have you tried UFO2000 Pager? It will notify you if somebody logs on to the server. You can find a link to it on UFO2000 home page in the 'downloads' section.

[quote]But I like it. :)[/quote]
:beer:

I have only had it for about a week or so, and I constantly pester j'ordos to play :D Anybody else though, welcome to PM me. Although I must warn you I am VERY new and need a decent squad. The only squads I have I pinched off of cpl. :D

I love it but its annoying as heck when it gets updated and you have to uninstall it, install new one switch squad files (which doesn't work sometimes) only to find its been updated again so you cant play!!

They should do upgrades as they are smaller, easier to use and downright better.

but otherwise. it rocks!

[quote name='Kamikazee' date='Apr 21 2004, 11:32 PM']I love it but its annoying as heck when it gets updated and you have to uninstall it, install new one switch squad files (which doesn't work sometimes) only to find its been updated again so you cant play!![/quote]

But you do not have to uninstall the game. The game upgrades to a new version without any problems (just install it over your existing ufo2000 directory), all your configuration and squad files are preserved!

[quote]They should do upgrades as they are smaller, easier to use and downright better.

but otherwise. it rocks![/quote]

I agree, but upgrades are also more difficult to create and ufo2000 installer is not so large (I know, it has currently become larger because of the music included, but we will also make smaller versions of installers with no music in the future or make the music optionally downloadable).

[quote name='Serge' date='Apr 21 2004, 06:52 PM'][quote name='Extralucas' date='Apr 21 2004, 01:14 AM']
:huh: I can hardly find opponent, and when I do, something goes wrong, thus none of my games was finished. :([/quote]

Well, looking at server statistics, seems that you have played 5 games for the last week. One of them was stopped because one of the players just exited from the game (at least server interprets it so), and 4 remaining games were finished without any problems.

[url="http://ufo2000.lxnt.info/results.php"]http://ufo2000.lxnt.info/results.php[/url]

I'm really very curious, is the server statistics wrong?
If the statistics is wrong, that's a bug that needs to be fixed as soon as possible, the server should log any errors encountered. If it misses some problems, that's not good at all. So the developers are even unaware of your problems and therefore can't fix them in the next versions :(

Providing feedback and bugreports is very important for making the game better. Critical bugfixes (fixes of the bugs that make the game unplayable) are the top priority task.

Now about finding the opponents. Have you tried UFO2000 Pager? It will notify you if somebody logs on to the server. You can find a link to it on UFO2000 home page in the 'downloads' section.

[quote]But I like it. :)[/quote]
:beer: [/quote]
Heh, right after my post I played with j'ordos, and 3 times with other players next day. Maybe I just had tough luck before. :unsure:

And the problems... Well, my oponents had to leave the game, nothing technical. <_<

• 4 months later...
[quote name='Mustang' date='Feb 20 2004, 06:13 PM']As for me, I love UFO2000, I play it everyday. The internet servers normally have at least one person online now so it is twice as fun :D
[right][post="65752"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

hmmm...ya..1 person does not equal a game...u need 2...this seeems to be a prob.

we need an irc channel eh? ....
ppl don't like sitting alone watching a black screen hoping for some company ...

Man, I have a terrible win/loss ratio so far. What is wrong with me?

Heh, otherwise, UFO2000 is a great idea, and it's, best of all, great fun to play. Excellent work so far, guys--keep it up (and if there's anything I can do to help, which there probably isn't, I'd be glad to). Best thing about it is how balanced the gameplay has been made in comparison with the first version I got to play (heavy plasma fire rate, etc.)

Guess I have to upgrade to the newer version, it seems.

Guest alex the greater
not all the wepons are saported (i wana blaster lancher) and you cant use armor pluss the maps are to small and the stat edit isint detaied enough (how about units getting beatter as time progresses)

but outherwise nits great! i love taunting my oponites whith the chat feture

[quote name='alex the greater' date='Aug 25 2004, 05:34 AM']you cant use armor
[right][post="91752"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
what do you mean? no tanks? or no personal armor/power armor/fly suits? if second, you're wrong - armor for soldiers is already implemented

[quote name='alex the greater' date='Aug 25 2004, 05:34 AM']the maps are to small
6x6 is too small??

[quote name='alex the greater' date='Aug 25 2004, 05:34 AM']how about units getting beatter as time progresses
how do you imagine this at the current state of the game? player who have played more games will have better soldiers than his opponent...

I personally think that the coolest thing about UFO2000 has to be the individual hairstyles for the soldiers on the battlescape. That is AWESOME! Stupid question, really, but is there any way to incorporate that into the original game? That's really, really cool.

Guest alex the greater
[quote name='Twilight Owl' date='Aug 25 2004, 08:41 AM'][quote name='alex the greater' date='Aug 25 2004, 05:34 AM']you cant use armor
what do you mean? no tanks? or no personal armor/power armor/fly suits? if second, you're wrong - armor for soldiers is already implemented
[/quote]

no you can change the skin of a unit but i dount change thare stats/armor value
which is why my scuad is all whareing t-shirts (cause thay look K001)

nad how come if you change your skin to alien how come it doesint change the stat preamiters Edited by alex the greater

[quote name='alex the greater' date='Aug 26 2004, 04:34 PM'][quote name='Twilight Owl' date='Aug 25 2004, 08:41 AM'][quote name='alex the greater' date='Aug 25 2004, 05:34 AM']you cant use armor
[/quote]

no you can change the skin of a unit but i dount change thare stats/armor value
which is why my scuad is all whareing t-shirts (cause thay look K001)

nad how come if you change your skin to alien how come it doesint change the stat preamiters
[right][post="91894"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

changing the skin WILL change armor values.
i'd wish to look how your squad will fight against a squad which is wearing power armor ;) Edited by Twilight Owl

Guest alex the greater
oh thats why i always lose

but it should change yor stats to (mutions and power armor make you strong, sceloids are week but have insane reation fire, fly suits make you fly) Edited by alex the greater

[quote name='alex the greater' date='Aug 26 2004, 07:07 PM']oh thats why i always lose
[right][post="91909"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

maybe it's not the only reason ;)

[quote name='alex the greater' date='Aug 26 2004, 07:07 PM']but it should change yor stats to (mutions and power armor make you strong, sceloids are week but have insane reation fire, fly suits make you fly)
[right][post="91909"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

why should stats of a soldier depend on his skin? you can select them yourself.
BTW i don't remember that power armor increse strength (maybe i'm mistaken)

Power Armor doesn't increase Strength.

Also, you can set these things manually... Click on the name then drag the sliders about. You can make Sectoids with insane accuracy and reactions and buggerall health. (one of my team has like 40 health, 70 reactions and 70 accuracy. ph34r)

And flying for the flight suit isn't coded yet. So far so good, it might arrive later, but for the moment I prefer no flying. Stops people hiding on roofing when all your soldiers are ground-bound.

I'd probably actually win if I had some proper l33tsk1llz, but I'm a tad short of those when it comes to X-COM. When it comes to UT2k4 though... heheh. The two games I've won is because the people at the other end had to go do something so I kinda won by default if nothing else. Edited by Exo2000

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I see this is an old thread, but I cna already tell you I like the game quie a bit.

It's definately fresh. (for me anyway).

I've had some bugs that have shut me down in hotseat mode, but I didn't to copy the message and report it. I'll work on that if it happens again.

I'd love to help in any way possible.

I helped fo menial tasks for some JA2 Mods (not Urban Chaos, though) and though I might need a tad bit of training, I can usually be pretty creative. I'm no programmer though...(I know poeple like me are a dime a dozen... :( ) Anyway I've been playing this game for ten years so I know it well.

Thanks for this. It's just what the Dr. ordered, for me anyway!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I ADORE this game. I just discovered it today and have been playing it non stop. I'm playing hotseat right now trying to learn some tactics and familiarize myself but I have played 1 multiplayer game against Hobbes and I got schooled pretty bad!

He filled the entire map with smoke but luckily I got 2 kills with 1 of my men (missile launcher) :D

Very fun game.

• 1 month later...
I LOVE it. In the words or Peter Griffin, Un-Freaking-Believeable! I play it all the time.... dont win lots, but I dont care, its fun!

• 2 months later...
For some reason I'm not allowed to vote but I like it very much. :)
Glad I recently dug out my old X-Com game, otherwise I wouldn't have heard about it.

The only thing that's getting tedious after a while is that everybody seems to be using nothing but scout-sniper tactics...

• 5 months later...
hello to forums :) My last singleplayer game was finished right before x-mas (first right after game came out in early 90's :) ), and now I found UFO2000, well awesome awesome awesome =b . hopefully we'll meet at the server :D

• 2 months later...
Guest Azrael
I like it, I had a battle two nights ago against some guy from Poland, we had a great time, I ended up winning but we were matched, being two newbies at this. I had the bad luck of running into a rather rude guy last night whose team had almost nothing but missile launchers, it must be that I suck a lot, cause my team got wasted in three or four rounds, it reminded me of UFO: Aftermath, when the Aliens attacked with rocket spitters and you had literally no way to run (one of the main critisisms of said game, it's extremely unbalanced, especially the infamous Russian mission). I dunno if the missile launchers are unbalanced, or I just suck a lot, but I didn't found fun to be squashed by a rain of missiles, while effective, I think they kill the fun a little :( Anyway, I like how the battlescape is looking.

thats why i dont play so much anymore, the rude ones. as for being rocket pwned, the more heavily geared up the enemy is the less armour he is going to have. LOVE NADES!

i only play on 15k - bar playing against people i know

• 4 months later...

The games is quite great!!

But it seems to be a public problem, with the bomber-men. Otherwise the game would be unbeatable. Tactics pure. And yes, it's adrenalin-pumping, to wait about 5 minutes or more, until the opponents hits the end-turn-button.

Something I love is the situation of 2 vs. 2 after a long match. And you don't know where the opponent has the rest of his men. Much better than in original x-com (although the game was one of the best ever made). Great laud for the developers!! You do a good job.

• 7 months later...