XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Script Ideas And Voice Acting Standards

Rhyos Beoulve

Or when your Commander is next to a rookie he will give him advice on what to do: "First you must realize one thing.... there is no spoon. Move IN!!!" Sound good?

• 2 weeks later...

well, here it is another ideia.

Imagine that there are only 3 soldiers letft on the battlefield, morale is low, one is bleeding, and few clips on the guns.

The soldiers that is bleeding complains and ask for a medic.

The soldier with few bullets asks for more ammunition.

The soldier who panics, drops weapon, starts running and lauf while running in complete madness, then it stops and starts to cry.

There are thousands of examples out there but its better to use alterate wav files from other games then amateur voices.

Thanks

SAM

:boohoo:

i think aftermath voices sucked because

most of the time 7 people were telling

you the same stuff at the same time.

*alien fires plasma weapon*

soldier1: "ouch, i'm hit!"

soldier2: "that hurts!"

solder3,4,5,6,7...

*soldier2 fires laser*

*alien is dead*

soldier1: "he's dead"

soldier2: "got him"

soldier3,4,5,6,7...

this should be avoided at all costs. :D

i think the average user expects some audio

feedback when he selects a soldier or gives

out orders. instead of "yes" we could use a

unobtrusive "selection sound", and most of the

other actions provide some kind of feedback

anyway (e.g. you hear the soldier's steps after

issuing a move order).

what i want to say is that if you allow the user

to turn off voices, there should be replacement

sounds where necessary.

for panicked soldiers:

there are different kinds of people and not

everyone will behave in the same way. Some

won't run around and cry, but instead will crouch

down and be too frightened to say anything.

or they'll pray, or...

"... [heavy breathing /] ...]"

"[whispering]our father, which art in heaven...[/whispering]"

and my favorite berserker quote:

"Who pissed? Who pissed on my fu cking carpet? That bastard fu ckin' dog man, I'm going to throw you in the fu cking pool! YOU! Get the fu ck out of my house! Get the fu ck outta here! It's a fu cking terrorist, it's one of Bin Laden's gang. Why'd they do it, Sharon? Why'd they do it man?" :wink:

Edited by CptJackSparrow

i think aftermath voices sucked because

most of the time 7 people were telling

you the same stuff at the same time.

*alien fires plasma weapon*

soldier1: "ouch, i'm hit!"

soldier2: "that hurts!"

solder3,4,5,6,7...

*soldier2 fires laser*

*alien is dead*

soldier1: "he's dead"

soldier2: "got him"

soldier3,4,5,6,7...

this should be avoided at all costs.  :D

Well, this won't happen in Xenocide as it's turnbased, you can only control one man at a time (so there won't be 10 soldiers killing a grey all yelling "got him!" ^_^ )

Well, this won't happen in Xenocide as it's turnbased, you can only control one man at a time (so there won't be 10 soldiers killing a grey all yelling "got him!" ^_^ )

But if we're stupid enough, there would be

15 soldiers yelling "ARGHN!" when a grey

throws his grenade. :unsure:

Hm. Anyway this seems to be more of a

programming issue which doesn't really

belong here. So I shut up now. :stupid:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I think when u've been playing X-com and compare it with Aftermath, u can immediately see that Aftermath didn't succeed in creating that scary feeling in the game, especially with the voices. X-com almost uses no voices. Maybe keeping them down to wordless expressions might do it, just like in X-Com. They only use screams and freaky noises, which work best with a good music background ;)

I forgot to mention that all of this depends on what your aiming at. Do you want a scary environment -> almost no speech, use expressions.

When u're going to use speech, the style of the game will totally differ from Ufo Defense. Also, if the texts will be more humoristic, u'll get a parody on x-com. I don't think that's where you want to end, or do you? (maybe as an option, it'll shure be funny ^_^ ) But on the main road, I don't think it's a good idea -_-

I agree with ATeX :)

i'll just place another opinion here (i'm not really a sound guy)

in the gameplay area, the battlescape. I think the atmosphere should be a more professional -> thrilling environment

Maybe if soldiers see an alien the spotter could say

*edited.. removed (a member humbly pointed out my wrongful use of words & plus i cannot think of anything else that would not also be classified as lame/annoying)

when the moral drops you could use little speech and when you do use speech, start playing voices with slight tremors & fear

Alien dies

"All clear" / "Scope clear" / "Clear"

Soldier uncon

seperate soldier says "Need a medic over here"/ "Requesting medic"

keeping it short and sweet i think is the way to go, untill all heck breaks loose then you might want to make everyone more frantic and confused and try to draw the player into that.

Edited by RustedSoul

hi,

im new (blabla :-) )

what about diffrent accents? depending from which continent/country the recruits are... i dunno how many nationalities are in this forum but i could do some austrian english (you know this from arnold schwarzenegger "ill be back" :D )

well maybe it would enlarge the release too much but it would also be a nice feature...

who is going to do the vocal recordings? i can record vocals quite well (good mic and preamp) but there arent too many native speakers in vienna (who will work for free :P )

greetings

max

yeah if you need an Australia accent, i'm willing to chip in where i can

Enemy sighted (aussie trans) Found a/the wombat ^_^

Death scream (Oz trans) aRrh...bug..ger

just a thought

I think we should use minimal, military professional vocalizations only for the soldiers who are holding it together. I think we should make that aspect as far away from hollywood as possible. The trailer of UFO:AM makes the troops in it sound like a bunch of teenaged mongoloids that have to narrate every action they take.

"I'm filling my cup with coffee. I have spotted the sugar. I'm reaching for the sugar. I am putting sugar in the cup. Oh no! I have no milk.. proceeding to the fridge."

Conversely, I don't think that when your guys are freaking out that they should be spilling out corny catch phrases. I would wager that people in mortal terror of death don't often yell out, "WHO WANTS TO HAVE A LITTLE." That sounds more angry than scared... The thing is that you can't really portray a psychotic rampage in a turn based system. I would lean more towards just sounds of fear and pain like in the first AvP game. I found their fear reactions quite immersive.

edit: Moreover, you have a sound for when the aliens die... the sound is the alien dying. I think that punctuating the event with two sounds would be a little too much.

Edited by fux0r666

wouldnt the power armor do problems with your voicing? then we must put a filter on it?

I agree with voices. Like the medallions, it could be something you get when specific stuff is made.

like:

Power armored guy shoots at least 3 aliens with a baster bomb. "All too easy" darth vader style.

or

ethereal just beside an unarmored rookie (hard to get): "Rookie....i am your father..." darth vader style.

Oh yes, definately look at the Alien vs Predator games for good scary effects.

• 2 weeks later...

Incidentally, has anyone give any thought to civilians? Would they have region dependant accents (cause thats a lot of accents). And would they talk if they spotted anything.

Perhaps you could just have them say somthing when you see them for the first time (see zip file), and a scream when they die.

Incidentally I trying to find out who made the voices in the zip to see if we can use them.

Civilian.zip

Edited by MagicAndy

Wow! This old post is still up? ^_^ I'm amazed! I guess the sound can wait, though.

By the way, I managed to land a professional audition, and it'll be a week until I hear from the producers as to whether or not I get the part. =b Gonna have an actual pro workin' on it! *Pro = guy who did a bit part on some abstract anime series*

Would they have region dependant accents (cause thats a lot of accents).

Absolutely not. There's enough work without that. They could say something like those you have there though. We don't need to use ready human voices, I think these forums has enough people to make a lot of different death screams and simple phrases. Only ready and free sounds we need are all SFX like gun shots and door voices and such.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the best way to reduce sounds and responses popping up everywhere would be to reduce the chance they will.

We can divide the various sounds into groups like "Response", "Spot, "Death", "Kill", "Berserk" etc.

Then you could do the following

A speech submenu of the sound menu would have adjustable sliders next to each group of speech that count percents. These are the chances a specific voice over would be used when the opportunity arises. So if for example you've set the "response" to 20%, only one in 5 soldier selections would say "ok" or whatever.

If you've set the "kill" slider to 50%, then half the time, wherenever a soldier kills an alien he will say something.

etc. You get the drift.

Then we could have as much speech as we like without annoying in any way the player.

Regarding foreign language:

Since each soldier has a nationality, it wouldn't be very difficult to program the game to first search in a subfolder for that nationality for sounds and if it doesn't find anything, use the default sounds. That way, we release the game with the standard sounds, and it is easily moddable to include as many nationalitys sound pack as we care to make. Players could even use their own home made packs.

So, for example if the speech directory is \sounds\speech, a Greek soldier would first look in \sounds\speech\greek\ for sounds and if it doesn't find it, look in the \sounds\speech\ directory.

Obviously, for v1.0 there would be a minimal number of speech, if any, but the important thing is to have the "infastructure" to fill it up.

PS: Let me here say that I'll gladly volunteer to do greek voice pack ;).

• 2 weeks later...

One way to make the morale a little more interesting (rather than just a numerical stat) would be to include a "Report" button. Hit that, and the soldier would say something like "This is a milk run, commander." at a high morale level, but if the mission's going badly and morale is low, they could say something more like "We can't hold them! We can't hold them! We're all gonna die down here!"

And Jim wouldn't have to click it if he didn't want to hear any emotional voices.

P.S. I'd love to do some of the voice acting for this. I'm an American, but I can definitely do death screams for humans or aliens, and apparently I enunciate very well. As I write this, actually, I just got done MCing a concert for my school.

Edited by Magstar