XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Versions Of Xcom 1 On The Way...

One Man Band

Gee... Get real, there's a Pocket-PC version of XCOM... I'm waiting for the PALM version. Those are at least possible...

I've given up on Nintenduh a long tmie ago (I still have my original 1991 Gameboy though, still functionnal :D)

The "no brains" gaming industry is simply not interested in something as involved and complex (and fun) as XCOM. :stupid:

[edit]

Here's the thread about the Pocket PC version...

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...ic=5053&hl=PALM

Edited by Paladin

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys...

See? I'm not dead! :wave:

The majority of the year has been unbearable work-wise, and I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel (that isn't the train).

I will be resuming development of XCom Advance very soon...have no fear.

What I could really use though is a master list of any XCom (1)/UFO Defense bug (not just limited to crash bugs or whatever, I also want it to include things like UFOpaedia errors, reference tree anomalies, stats-are-slightly-wrong...basically, any problem that exists with XCom 1, I want to know about it.)

I don't know if someone already has this documented somewhere, if so, I'd love the link. I know there's a thread in the forums that sort of talk about bugs, but it's certainly not a master list. I'd be willing to maintain the list if people send me defect reports.

Thanks guys.

-- One Man Band

Not only does he live, but he resurructs the topic as well! ^_^ Great to see you back, One Man Band. As for bugs, there's the infamous "Floater Medic" one for starters. Also, sometimes, when I'm done researching, the screen will come up as usual: finished research on XYZ. I click the button "view research" or something like that, thing that takes you to the ufopedia entry, and it shows me an entry. A blank one. Then, after I click OK, it brings me back to the "allocate research" screen. Annoying to have to always check the UFOpedia manually.

I would talk to anyone like NKF or whoever else has done a lot of experiments on the original X-COM or those who've worked on the editors (stuff they may have encountered while designing the editors etc.). Also there might be some descrepencies between the versions (some stuff could have been fixed i.e. Soldier stat caps would flip over to worse than rookie stats with DOS but had been fixed in the CE etc.) - such as DOS, the Playstation or Collector's Edition to really nail stuff down. I myself have only experienced a few bugs and crashes, but mainly the stuff that got me was the cosmetic stuff that dealt with not enough memory such as the money cap and so forth (flipped over to the negative after reaching 2 billion, 1.5 million or something).

Anyway, hope there's a master list somewheres. I'd find it hard to believe there's not an X-COM fanatic somewhere that hasn't had one started themselves :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hmmm...I'm not sure who NKF is. :huh?:

Also, I'm planning to develop XCom DS™ as well.

-- Bob

ohhhh, XCom DS would rule! much better to have a touchpad than use "arrows" for mouse.

in battlescape you could have the selected soldier stats on the additional screen. or just extend the battlescape view.

for geoscape... uh... no idea. maybe messages could show up on the extra screen so as to not cover up the globe?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
GBA first?....ewww... DS would be able to put so much more towards it. Plus you could use the touch screen to mess with the menus. It'd be perfect.

Yeah, but not everyone has a DS or the money to shell out for one. Advance is a much more widespread system that still has the capability to make a decent X-Com.

Well, I recently got DS, so I can see the possabilities, but you're right, better to start widespread. And how do you make Game Boy games on a computer? There's no way to download it into the cartridge format. And plus, how would we download it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'd like to see how One Man Band manages the problem of limited fire and smoke tiles. Incendiary rounds would be so much better. =D That, and the weird physics thingy - when you absolutely demolish the ground floor but the first floor remains floating. >_< Don't think that'll be easy to fix.

But how are we going to get it? I don't have the software to download it onto a cartridge, and it'll take a while to get marketed world-wide. But if I had a credit card, I'd gladly donate some money.

Actually, if you have an old version of X-com (EU,TFTD, Apoc etc, either one yo had bought, took from a friend, *cough* *cough* d0VV|\||_0@d3D *cough* *cough*, etc), then just use Dosbox 0.61!!!! It takes some time (20 mins or less) to find the right settings for your pc, but once you set it right, you can enjoy xcom and at the same moment surf through this forum!!! ^_^

No "Turbo", no "VDM Sound", nothing! And it works fine ^_^

Actually, if you have an old version of X-com (EU,TFTD, Apoc etc, either one yo had bought, took from a friend, *cough* *cough* d0VV|\||_0@d3D *cough* *cough*, etc), then just use Dosbox 0.61!!!! It takes some time (20 mins or less) to find the right settings for your pc, but once you set it right, you can enjoy xcom and at the same moment surf through this forum!!! ^_^

No "Turbo", no "VDM Sound", nothing! And it works fine ^_^

but it still has all the bugs and flaws of the original, and One Man Band was also gonna put in the cool features from the PS version ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just PM'd One Man Band and politely asked him to provide us with an update on his progress. Help should be on its way, so hang in there, everyone! :fingerscrossed:

- Zombie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys...

Sorry for being so silent for so long. My normal workload prevents really concentrated progress on XCOM GBA.

However, I have been working with another developer to try to obtain the license from the current holder. At this point, I can't promise anything beyond "I love XCOM and would love to play it on my GBA" but understand that I can only work on it when paying projects permit. If it gets signed, then it'd be brought to the top of the list of course, but until then, you'll have to be patient and wait for me to get some spare time. :)

-- Bob

Edited by One Man Band

Just to help you guys to past the time before Bob finishes his GBA, DS or Windows version.

GBA

Rebelstar Tactical Command : August 2005

- no base building though... google for more information

- i've seen the E3 trailer of it (no sound), there's burst fire modes with like a swarm of laser hitting the alien!

PC

Laser Squad Nemesis (already OUT) Single-player mode(NEW)

- $19.99 or something.

Lastly, if and when Bob(aka One Man Band) see this, could you explain how you got the geoscape globe to render/display ? Not to sound too cynical, but it seems more like a photoshop job to me. As the geoscape globe imho is done the oldschool way of having flat/gouraud shaded kinda sphere (made of many polygons). And I kinda recall seeing a sine.dat in the game which i suppose are precalculated values for speed of rendering the globe.

I would settle for a rectangle wrapped around globe if it gave the battlescape(the hader part) more time to be coded.

~just my 2 cents.

Lastly, if and when Bob(aka One Man Band) see this, could you explain how you got the geoscape globe to render/display ? Not to sound too cynical, but it seems more like a photoshop job to me. As the geoscape globe imho is done the oldschool way of having flat/gouraud shaded kinda sphere (made of many polygons). And I kinda recall seeing a sine.dat in the game which i suppose are precalculated values for speed of rendering the globe.

I would settle for a rectangle wrapped around globe if it gave the battlescape(the hader part) more time to be coded.

The Geoscape globe is rendered the same way all the other versions render it: only the land is polygons and the ocean is a hand-gouraded 'mess'. The polygons are textured using what I call a 'stencil' renderer, meaning the polygon is cookie cut from a big sheet of texture; no perpective correctness, no extra anything really.

I (and others that I've let play the cart on a real GBA, or even an emulator) can assure you that those shots are NOT Photoshop jobs and it behaves exactly the same as every other version you've ever seen. (Meaning you can rotate, zoom, show borders, cities, capitals, and the twilight line is even accurate.) :)

-- Bob

Bob : thanks for the reply. puts my mind to ease :)

Btw, the globe is done by hand rite ? (think oldschool demo scene) meaning not using any 3d api (i dun think GBA has any 3d api anyway...)

Some suggestions for usability. Since GBA has no touchscreen.

Assuming Start is used to pause the game. (when ur boss sneaks up on you at work while ur playing GBA Xcom :D )

-=- Geoscape -=-

R + D-pad to rotate

L + D-pad to zoom

Select goes to Baseview

-=- Baseview -=-

L + D-pad : Switch base (up/down d-pad would be wasted though)

R(holding down) + D-pad : select the buttons on the right like menus (no need to use the fake mouse to click) (in this case left/right d-pad would have no function)

Select exits Baseview

only D-pad : move the mouse cursor

-=- Battlescape -=-

R + D-pad to scroll

L + D-pad to up/down the layer/level (?)

-=- All cases -=-

Button A and B of cuz would be left click, right click.

Notice I chose "R" for the more common cases(so that one hand controls one thing). "L" + d-pad requires you to use two fingers from the same hand.

That should make playing the game on gba less of a bitch with the d-pad controlled cursor :)

While your at it, make the windows version battlescape run at a higher resolution (to show more of the map at one time). Otherwise I dun really see the point of a new windows version. hehe.

Edited by pcx

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...