XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Alien Breeding

kafros

ALIEN BREEDING

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Research/Alien Breeding

In order to fully appraise the true threat of the Alien species and understand very nature of the Alien invasion, we must first comprehend the alien species themselves. The full understanding of the alien physiology, the alien anatomy and the way these aliens reproduce, will aid us in this endeavor.

X-Corps scientists were surprised by the results derived from the recent studies on the way the aliens reproduce (codenamed “Alien Breeding” for sort). Most of the alien species do not actually reproduce in any natural way. That is, in a way we are used to. In fact, only one of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”, which is the Viper, as it can lay eggs and can be described as reptilian-like. Morlocks and Greys are evolved primates without reproductive organs, Artopods and Terror-Discs are mechanical, Cloaks are a complete mystery, Satyrians and Raptors are surgically and genetically enhanced and Spawns are genetically engineered weapons. In addition, most individuals of each alien species seem to be almost 100% genetically and physically similar. These facts leaded us to the assumption that aliens actually clone themselves.

After a crash site mission, a strange chamber was discovered in the alien supply craft, which was full of awkward cylindrical devices, in which some kind of alien embryos were located. This chamber mostly consists of cybernetic control consoles and devices, which we call “incubators”, as it is a very fitting description. Incubators consist of a nutrition-rich liquid in which fetuses in various stages of development were suspended. The liquid ensures a rapid growth of the embryo inside. After a deep analysis of both the incubator device and the contained liquid, we have discerned a complex electronic structure. Complicated circuits, accurate sensors and nutrient regulators are all operating automatically and effectively. The most fascinating feature of the incubator is nanotechnology! Nanomachines were detected in the liquid, repairing the fetus’ tissues and cleaning the liquid itself. We have so far been unsuccessful in removing the liquid from the containers without disrupting power flow and upsetting the operating balance, thus damaging the device, as both the incubator and the liquid require a constant addition of energy, which is provided from the incubator’s energy battery and is recharged by the ship’s Xenium reactor. While conducting research on an incubator, X-Corps scientists found some Ventriculant tissue in the fluid, but not on the fetus. This is yet another proof that Ventriculant tissue is the main factor in alien cloning. In order to produce a whole organism with different cell types, the aliens must feed Ventriculant cells with different DNA strings (probably “in vitro” at their bases), which make the cells transform into various body parts, as i.e. vital organs and skin. The fetuses are then placed in incubators in a breeding chamber, in order to have the energy, nutrients and growth-safe environment (indispensable premises for their complete and successful transformation) provided by the incubators. It is not safe to grow the fetuses in ships, as they need a safe environment like an alien base, so that the aliens will be able to solve any malfunctions of this hi-tech equipment. So, we believe that such breeding chambers may not only be found in [supply ships], but mainly in Alien bases.

Great potential was found in this method of reproduction, because with this factory-line system, the alien invaders generate the various alien clones they need (soldiers, scientists, pilots, engineers etc) in a medium time period. Many scientific and military agents suggested using these chambers in order to easily and efficiently clone troops. The possibility of using these devices in order to provide rapid production of X-Corps soldiers has been rejected due to a variety of problems. Setting ethical issues aside, we are left with overwhelming technical issues. The incubators need a great quantity of power supply in order to start their operation and maintain an optimal growth state for the embryo, which can’t be efficiently provided without a Xenium Reactor. If we intend to use Xenium, the operation and maintenance of the incubators is also highly inefficient cost wise. Finally yet importantly, we cannot acquire the great quantities of Ventriculant tissue needed for this kind of reproduction, as it is dangerous to capture/grown live Ventriculants, difficult and costly to sustain them and practically impossible to collect the large quantities needed for cloning many soldiers. Nonetheless, feeding DNA strings to all these Ventriculant tissues is a time-consuming and expensive procedure.

Further research has also shown that these incubators also have a device that plants cybernetic implants in the brain of the freshly cloned aliens. With a specific procedure, these components upload racial memories and all scientific, technical or combat information into the blank mind of the reproduced creatures.

"Oh, so it's just cloning, not anything else? Why'd you call it 'alien breeding' and scare me like that! I'm waaay too old for that, you hear?!"

- Major Tommy J. Fork

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comments in blue.

ALIEN BREEDING

In order to fully appraise the true threat of the Alien species and understand very nature of the Alien invasion, we must first comprehend the alien species themselves. The full understanding of the alien physiology, the alien anatomy and the way these aliens reproduce, will aid us in this endeavor.

X-Corps scientists were surprised by the results derived from the recent studies on the way the aliens reproduce (codenamed “Alien Breeding” for sort). Most of the alien species do not actually reproduce in any natural way. That is, in a way we are used to. In fact, only one of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”, which is the Viper, as it can lay eggs and can be described as reptilian-like. Morlocks and Greys are evolved primates without reproductive organs, Artopods and Terror-Discs are mechanical, Cloaks are a complete mystery, Satyrians and Raptors are surgically and genetically enhanced and Spawns are genetically engineered weapons. In addition, most individuals of each alien species seem to be almost 100% genetically and physically similar. These facts leaded us to the assumption that aliens actually clone themselves.

I'm not exactly sure why Cloaks would be a complete mystery; the Cloak autopsy CT suggests "genetic manipulation". (Aside: this might be a little late for this, but what if Cloaks are actually more highly specialized versions of Greys?  The Grey autopsy CT resembled, in some ways, the Cloak autopsy CT.  It's not a big deal, just a "wouldn't that be cool" idea.)

After a crash site mission, a strange chamber was discovered in the alien supply craft, which was full of awkward cylindrical devices, in which some kind of alien embryos were located. This chamber mostly consists of cybernetic control consoles and devices, which we call “incubators”, as it is a very fitting description. Incubators consist of a nutrition-rich liquid in which fetuses in various stages of development were suspended. The liquid ensures a rapid growth of the embryo inside. After a deep analysis of both the incubator device and the contained liquid, we have discerned a complex electronic structure. Complicated circuits, accurate sensors and nutrient regulators are all operating automatically and effectively. The most fascinating feature of the incubator is nanotechnology! Nanomachines were detected in the liquid, repairing the fetus’ tissues and cleaning the liquid itself. We have so far been unsuccessful in removing the liquid from the containers without disrupting power flow and upsetting the operating balance, thus damaging the device, as both the incubator and the liquid require a constant addition of energy, which is provided from the incubator’s energy battery and is recharged by the ship’s Xenium reactor. While conducting research on an incubator, X-Corps scientists found some Ventriculant tissue in the fluid, but not on the fetus. This is yet another proof that Ventriculant tissue is the main factor in alien cloning. In order to produce a whole organism with different cell types, the aliens must feed Ventriculant cells with different DNA strings (probably “in vitro” at their bases), which make the cells transform into various body parts, as i.e. vital organs and skin. The fetuses are then placed in incubators in a breeding chamber, in order to have the energy, nutrients and growth-safe environment (indispensable premises for their complete and successful transformation) provided by the incubators. It is not safe to grow the fetuses in ships, as they need a safe environment like an alien base, so that the aliens will be able to solve any malfunctions of this hi-tech equipment. So, we believe that such breeding chambers may not only be found in [supply ships], but mainly in Alien bases.

Perhaps "nutrient-rich artificial amniotic fluid" for the liquid in which fetuses are suspended.  Hm, maybe: "Aliens do not appear to be grown on ships because the energy requirements of weapons, propulsion, and navigation systems prevent the UFO from providing the steep energy demands of the Alien incubators.  Instead, Alien fetuses are held in the less energy-intensive stasis until they arrive at an Alien base, where final cell specializations occur."?

Great potential was found in this method of reproduction, because with this factory-line system, the alien invaders generate the various alien clones they need (soldiers, scientists, pilots, engineers etc) in a medium time period. Many scientific and military agents suggested using these chambers in order to easily and efficiently clone troops. The possibility of using these devices in order to provide rapid production of X-Corps soldiers has been rejected due to a variety of problems. Setting ethical issues aside, we are left with overwhelming technical issues. The incubators need a great quantity of power supply in order to start their operation and maintain an optimal growth state for the embryo, which can’t be efficiently provided without a Xenium Reactor. If we intend to use Xenium, the operation and maintenance of the incubators is also highly inefficient cost wise. Finally yet importantly, we cannot acquire the great quantities of Ventriculant tissue needed for this kind of reproduction, as it is dangerous to capture/grown live Ventriculants, difficult and costly to sustain them and practically impossible to collect the large quantities needed for cloning many soldiers. Nonetheless, feeding DNA strings to all these Ventriculant tissues is a time-consuming and expensive procedure.

Instead of "Great potential was found in this method of reproduction" (sentence 1), maybe "This method of reproduction is highly efficient"?  Regarding human usage of the Alien technology, I still lean towards my earlier comment about incompatibility of human DNA, but that's just my opinion. :P

Further research has also shown that these incubators also have a device that plants cybernetic implants in the brain of the freshly cloned aliens. With a specific procedure, these components upload racial memories and all scientific, technical or combat information into the blank mind of the reproduced creatures.

Has the implant idea been finalized?  I seem to recall reading in tzuchan's backstory that there might be small colonies of "Overmind" in each clone?

"Oh, so it's just cloning, not anything else? Why'd you call it 'alien breeding' and scare me like that! I'm waaay too old for that, you hear?!"

- Major Tommy J. Fork

Wow, this CT has come a long way! Good job, kafros. =b

Edited by Astyanax

Ty Asty :)

I've corrected the first 3 comments, and I don't really have a problem with "incompatibility of human DNA", even if "that's just your opinion. :P", I've already added it :P :wink1:

But, I'm not sure about

Has the implant idea been finalized?  I seem to recall reading in tzuchan's backstory that there might be small colonies of "Overmind" in each clone?

What about that? I think I should say something like "OM clones are stored in brain implants ", that's ok. But, does the player know about the OM?

AAAZ! :Poke: WE NEED YOUR TECH-TREE WINSDOM!!! :master: :NyaNyaNya: :) :wave:

Guest Azrael
Ty Asty :)

I've corrected the first 3 comments, and I don't really have a problem with "incompatibility of human DNA", even if  "that's just your opinion. :P", I've already added it :P :wink1:

But, I'm not sure about

What about that? I think I should say something like "OM clones are stored in brain implants <blah blah blah>", that's ok. But, does the player know about the OM?

AAAZ! :Poke: WE NEED YOUR TECH-TREE WINSDOM!!! :master: :NyaNyaNya: :) :wave:

No, the player is not likely to ever find too much about the OM, the part about the implants is good, I like it :)

Anyway, this text doesn't really talk about implanting OM clones... better not get into that...yet, as we still don't have an OFFICIAL backstory!

ALIEN BREEDING

X-Corps scientists were surprised by the results derived from the recent studies on the way the aliens reproduce (codenamed “Alien Breeding” for sort). Most of the alien species do not actually reproduce in any natural way. That is, in a way we are used to. In fact, only one of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”, which is the Viper, as it can lay eggs and can be described as reptilian-like. Morlocks are evolved primates without reproductive organs, Artopods and Terror-Discs are mechanical, Satyrians and Raptors are surgically and genetically enhanced and Spawns are genetically engineered weapons. Cloaks and Greys seem to be genetically enhanced species which have achieved special mental abilities. In addition, most individuals of each alien species seem to be almost 100% genetically and physically similar. These facts leaded us to the assumption that aliens actually clone themselves.

After a crash site mission, a strange chamber was discovered in the alien supply craft, which was full of awkward cylindrical devices, in which some kind of alien embryos were located. This chamber mostly consists of cybernetic control consoles and devices, which we call “incubators”, as it is a very fitting description. Incubators consist of a nutrient-rich artificial amniotic fluid in which fetuses in various stages of development were suspended. The liquid ensures a rapid growth of the embryo inside. After a deep analysis of both the incubator device and the contained liquid, we have discerned a complex electronic structure. Complicated circuits, accurate sensors and nutrient regulators are all operating automatically and effectively. The most fascinating feature of the incubator is nanotechnology! Nanomachines were detected in the liquid, repairing the fetus’ tissues and cleaning the liquid itself. We have so far been unsuccessful in removing the liquid from the containers without disrupting power flow and upsetting the operating balance, thus damaging the device, as both the incubator and the liquid require a constant addition of energy, which is provided from the incubator’s energy battery and is recharged by the ship’s Xenium reactor. While conducting research on an incubator, X-Corps scientists found some Ventriculant tissue in the fluid, but not on the fetus. This is yet another proof that Ventriculant tissue is the main factor in alien cloning. In order to produce a whole organism with different cell types, the aliens must feed Ventriculant cells with different DNA strings (probably “in vitro” at their bases), which make the cells transform into various body parts, as i.e. vital organs and skin. The fetuses are then placed in incubators in a breeding chamber, in order to have the energy, nutrients and growth-safe environment (indispensable premises for their complete and successful transformation) provided by the incubators. Aliens do not appear to be grown on ships because the energy requirements of weapons, propulsion, and navigation systems prevent the UFO from providing the steep energy demands of the Alien incubators. Instead, Alien fetuses are held in the less energy-intensive stasis until they arrive at an Alien base, where final cell specializations occur.

This method of reproduction is highly efficient, because with this factory-line system the alien invaders generate the various alien clones they need (soldiers, scientists, pilots, engineers etc) in a medium time period. Many scientific and military agents suggested using these chambers in order to easily and efficiently clone troops. The possibility of using these devices in order to provide rapid production of X-Corps soldiers was proven to be impossible to materialize. Setting ethical issues and the overwhelming technical issues aside (Needed Xenium reactor, Ventriculant feeding/capture, inefficient cost wise procedure), we face a yet unsolvable issue. Although we have experimented thoroughly, there is a yet unsolvable incompatibility issue. Whenever we feed Ventriculant tissue with human DNA, the cells stay idle. Enzyme administration has not proven to be an efficacious solution.

- Major Tommy J. Fork

No, the player is not likely to ever find too much about the OM, the part about the implants is good, I like it :)

Anyway, this text doesn't really talk about implanting OM clones... better not get into that...yet, as we still don't have an OFFICIAL backstory!

How about making them "temporary implants"? That way, we don't have to add a line to each autopsy CT saying that "a strange cybernetic implant has been found within the brain of this Alien":

Further research has also shown that these incubators install temporary cybernetic implants within the brains of the freshly cloned aliens, presumably to upload racial memories and relevant scientific, technical or combat information into the blank mind of the reproduced creatures.  The implant deteriorates after the procedure is complete and is reabsorbed by the individual.

EDIT- Hm, since you (kafros) already introduced the concept of nanotechnology, maybe the implant is constructed through a combination of organic matter and nanomachines? Um, maybe it's too complicated, though.

Edited by Astyanax

Guest Azrael

How about making them "temporary implants"? That way, we don't have to add a line to each autopsy CT saying that "a strange cybernetic implant has been found within the brain of this Alien":

Further research has also shown that these incubators install temporary cybernetic implants within the brains of the freshly cloned aliens, presumably to upload racial memories and relevant scientific, technical or combat information into the blank mind of the reproduced creatures.

You're right there, don't know how I missed it :OhBrother: , that line sounds good, but how can an implant be temporary?, maybe we can say that the machine simply uploads information into the brain as it grows? *thinks of Matrix*, like inserting something into the head, and then having the tissue regenerate, or you can say that it seems like it uploads the information psionically, maybe...

This "temporary" isn't mine <_>

maybe we can say that the machine simply uploads information into the brain as it grows?

Personally, I prefer a "Brain Flash" done to the freshly-cloned alien than a "Continuous brain update" done in all stages :huh?:

Edit: Then, how has azrael missed it, while he posted just after you? :blink2:

Edited by kafros

Guest Azrael
maybe we can say that the machine simply uploads information into the brain as it grows?

Personally, I prefer a "Brain Flash" done to the freshly-cloned alien than a "Continuous brain update" done in all stages :huh?:

I didn't precisely meant continuous, that's up to you, just making a suggestion.

I have a habit of editing my posts (to flesh them out further) after I type them, and Az has a habit of posting just before I finish editing. :P

Edited by Astyanax

ALIEN BREEDING

X-Corps scientists were surprised by the results derived from the recent studies on the way the aliens reproduce (codenamed “Alien Breeding” for sort). Most of the alien species do not actually reproduce in any natural way. That is, in a way we are used to. In fact, only one of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”, which is the Viper, as it can lay eggs and can be described as reptilian-like. Morlocks are evolved primates without reproductive organs, Artopods and Terror-Discs are mechanical, Satyrians and Raptors are surgically and genetically enhanced and Spawns are genetically engineered weapons. Cloaks and Greys seem to be genetically enhanced species which have achieved special mental abilities. In addition, most individuals of each alien species seem to be almost 100% genetically and physically similar. These facts leaded us to the assumption that aliens actually clone themselves.

After a crash site mission In one of our numerus missions, a strange chamber was discovered in the alien supply craft, which was full of awkward cylindrical devices, in which some kind of alien embryos were located. This chamber mostly consists of cybernetic control consoles and devices, which we call “incubators”, as it is a very fitting description. Incubators consist of a nutrient-rich artificial amniotic fluid in which fetuses in various stages of development were suspended. The liquid ensures a rapid growth of the embryo inside. After a deep analysis of both the incubator device and the contained liquid, we have discerned a complex electronic structure. Complicated circuits, accurate sensors and nutrient regulators are all operating automatically and effectively. The most fascinating feature of the incubator is nanotechnology! Nanomachines were detected in the liquid, repairing the fetus’ tissues and cleaning the liquid itself. We have so far been unsuccessful in removing the liquid from the containers without disrupting power flow and upsetting the operating balance, thus damaging the device, as both the incubator and the liquid require a constant addition of energy, which is provided from the incubator’s energy battery and is recharged by the ship’s Xenium reactor. While conducting research on an incubator, X-Corps scientists found some Ventriculant tissue in the fluid, but not on the fetus. This is yet another proof that Ventriculant tissue is the main factor in alien cloning. In order to produce a whole organism with different cell types, the aliens must feed Ventriculant cells with different DNA strings (probably “in vitro” at their bases), which make the cells transform into various body parts, as i.e. vital organs and skin. The fetuses are then placed in incubators in a breeding chamber, in order to have the energy, nutrients and growth-safe environment (indispensable premises for their complete and successful transformation) provided by the incubators. Aliens do not appear to be grown on ships because the energy requirements of weapons, propulsion, and navigation systems prevent the UFO from providing the steep energy demands of the Alien incubators. Instead, Alien fetuses are held in the less energy-intensive stasis until they arrive at an Alien base, where final cell specializations occur.

This method of reproduction is highly efficient, because with this factory-line system the alien invaders generate the various alien clones they need (soldiers, scientists, pilots, engineers etc) in a medium time period. Many scientific and military agents suggested using these chambers in order to easily and efficiently clone troops. The possibility of using these devices in order to provide rapid production of X-Corps soldiers was proven to be impossible to materialize. Setting ethical issues and the overwhelming technical issues aside (Needed Xenium reactor, Ventriculant feeding/capture, inefficient cost wise procedure), we face a yet unsolvable issue. Although we have experimented thoroughly, there is a yet unsolvable incompatibility issue. Whenever we feed Ventriculant tissue with human DNA, the cells stay idle. Enzyme administration has not proven to be an efficacious solution.

- Major Tommy J. Fork

I've caught a light instance of the Virum Astynanxium sickness.

Edited by mikker

Nope, that's level 3(!!!) Astyanaxation, and I can post many reasons to explain myself:

1) Use of colours :P

2) Use of Gold and Red ("heavy" ones) instead of Green and Blue (calm ones)

3) The WHOLE POST was quoted for just a line! :NyaNyaNya:

4) All of us have caught Astyanaxation, thus we should use a cure method and keep away from bright lights! But, YOU GO ON USING BRIGHT COLOURS :P!

I will post a CT which will contain a possible cure :wink1: :rolleyes: ^_^

Edited by kafros

Nope, that's level 3(!!!) Astyanaxation, and I can post many reasons to explain myself:

1) Use of colours :P

2) Use of Gold and Red ("heavy" ones) instead of Green and Blue (calm ones)

3) The WHOLE POST was quoted for just a line!  :NyaNyaNya:

4) All of us have caught Astyanaxation, thus we should use a cure method and keep away from bright lights! But, YOU GO ON USING BRIGHT COLOURS :P!

I will post a CT which will contain a possible cure  :wink1:  :rolleyes:  ^_^

/me shivers in horrer after realising the horror he's unleashed on the world...

I think someone better come up with a anti-tzuchan gun... I think I'm just as infectious as Asty is...

"Most of the alien species do not actually reproduce in any natural way. That is, in a way we are used to. In fact, only one of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”, which is the Viper, as it can lay eggs and can be described as reptilian-like."

sounds kindda clumsy to me.

"which was full of awkward cylindrical devices, in which some kind of alien embryos were located."

sounds wrong in a scientific report. Scientists not know what it is, ad the use of 'awkward' and 'kind of' doesn't really.... appeal to me.

"Satyrians and Raptors surgically and genetically enhanced...

Spawns are genetically engineered...

Cloaks and Greys seem to be genetically enhanced..."

can you find other words to use? It seems kindda the same all the way...

"In addition, most individuals of each alien species seem to be almost 100% genetically and physically similar. These facts leaded us to the assumption that aliens actually clone themselves."

oh no, another 'genetically', that's number 4! And a 'seems to be', not fitting. What about 'In addition, individuals have proven to have the exact same DNA as other of their race, leading us to aliens actually being clones' or something like that?.

"which we call “incubators”, as it is a very fitting description."

yeah, else they wouldn't call it that, would thay? :P

"The most fascinating feature of the incubator is nanotechnology!"

OMG! NANO TECH!!!!111 ROFLMAO DAD ROXORZ MY BOXERZ! LOL

*ehem*, the X-corps use nanotechnology, so why should it be ' ! ' wothy?

the third paragrafh focus alot on the cloning device. Arn't that researchable before alien breeding, and even a requirement?

"Further research has also shown that these incubators also have a device that plants cybernetic implants in the brain of the freshly cloned aliens." Also x2. Also, (no pun intended) that paragraf should be longer, giving more detail.

"incubator’s energy battery and is recharged by the ship’s Xenium reactor"

by the ship's or base's xenium reactor, right?

"(Needed Xenium reactor, Ventriculant feeding/capture, inefficient cost wise procedure)"

how is needing a xenium reactor an 'overwhelming technical issue'?

"we face a yet unsolvable issue. Although we have experimented thoroughly, there is a yet unsolvable incompatibility issue."

quite clumsy, two times issue.

Can't find any more currently...

(see? I've successfully cured myself of the colour color stage of the A. syndrome!)

Edited by mikker

Guest Azrael

One freaking time, and it was because of a text that was there for nearly a year with no replies, and all plasmas are based on it. So I made a stupid mistake once, shoot me, at least I don't do it anymore.

edit, yes I was kidding, sorry for the harsh tone everyone, I was not feeling myself at the time :)

Edited by Azrael

One freaking time, and it was because of a text that was there for nearly a year with no replies, and all plasmas are based on it. So I made a stupid mistake once, shoot me, at least I don't do it anymore.

*BOOM!*

Oops, looks like someone took that a little too literally.. :D

Guest Azrael

*BOOM!*

Oops, looks like someone took that a little too literally.. :D

:huh:

Well, my Solution to Astyanaxation: Kafriladolvon! (Better names will be aprecciated :P)

Get a pill of the drug, and you start doing stuff like:

Additions/Changes

Removals

Comments

Well, you can see some Astyanaxation-like side-effects, but at least you are not Astyanaxised anymore ^_^

Now, work... :Coffee:

=========

"Most of the alien species do not actually reproduce in any natural way. That is, in a way we are used to. In fact, only one of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”, which is the Viper, as it can lay eggs and can be described as reptilian-like."

sounds kindda clumsy to me.

Will do something about it :)

"which was full of awkward cylindrical devices, in which some kind of alien embryos were located."

sounds wrong in a scientific report. Scientists not know what it is, ad the use of 'awkward' and 'kind of' doesn't really.... appeal to me.

Hmmm... Do they have to be THAT scientific? :Poke:
"Satyrians and Raptors surgically and genetically enhanced...

Spawns are genetically engineered...

Cloaks and Greys seem to be genetically enhanced..."

can you find other words to use? It seems kindda the same all the way...

Yeah... "It's not AZRAEL, it's AZ-ZY", riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight... Genetics are genetics! Genetic manipulation, genetic alternation, genetic enhancement, alternation of genetic material, modulation of genetic code, same thing :Poke:

"In addition, most individuals of each alien species seem to be almost 100% genetically and physically similar. These facts leaded us to the assumption that aliens actually clone themselves."

oh no, another 'genetically', that's number 4! And a 'seems to be', not fitting. What about 'In addition, individuals have proven to have the exact same DNA as other of their race, leading us to aliens actually being clones' or something like that?.

IMHO, I think mine is more formal, but you are right, a re-write wouldn't hurt. I'll try to mix them both and make some da-ba-doo changes :P ^_^
"which we call “incubators”, as it is a very fitting description."

yeah, else they wouldn't call it that, would thay? :P

It's 97% fitting, other descriptions were 96.5% fitting, you get my point... But, I also get yours, and I think I'll indeed remove it <_>
"The most fascinating feature of the incubator is nanotechnology!"

OMG! NANO TECH!!!!111 ROFLMAO DAD ROXORZ MY BOXERZ! LOL

*ehem*, the X-corps use nanotechnology, so why should it be ' ! ' wothy?

*Ahem* Where exactly? In rifles, HWPs and "Rag Armor"? :OhBrother:
the third paragrafh focus alot on the cloning device. Arn't that researchable before alien breeding, and even a requirement?

"Further research has also shown that these incubators also have a device that plants cybernetic implants in the brain of the freshly cloned aliens." Also x2. Also, (no pun intended) that paragraf should be longer, giving more detail.

"incubator’s energy battery and is recharged by the ship’s Xenium reactor"

by the ship's or base's xenium reactor, right?

I must see the Tech tree, I still haven't :OhBrother: :blush1:

And yes, you are right about the "base's", forgot to change that before ^_^

"(Needed Xenium reactor, Ventriculant feeding/capture, inefficient cost wise procedure)"

how is needing a xenium reactor an 'overwhelming technical issue'?

One (or more) xenium reactor(s) for a specific facility (IF, it could be used by humans, and actually can't be used), large quantities of Xenium, personel to look after both the reactor and the incubators.........
"we face a yet unsolvable issue. Although we have experimented thoroughly, there is a yet unsolvable incompatibility issue."

hOW D@R3 I MiSs sUC|-| ThiNGz?! :Brickwall: :Brickwall: :Brickwall:
Can't find any more currently...
You were much helpful already, thank you very much pal! ^_^ =b

Not to worry, Az- I doubt anyone will start mistaking you for me. :P

I mean, after all, I have a reputation to uphold; unfortunately, it's one that's also led to the creation of a specialized gun with my name on it... :D

Edited by Astyanax

Guest Azrael

hOW D@R3 I MiSs sUC|-| ThiNGz?! :Brickwall: :Brickwall: :Brickwall:

Two times "yet unsolvable"

1) Thanks, but I've already noticed that :wink1: :)

2) Only that?! No more comments?! :blink2:

Then, I guess it's ready, and it just needs proofreading.

I'll do the final rewrite (I DO hope it will be the final one :huh?:)

ALIEN BREEDING

X-Corps scientists were surprised by the results derived from the recent studies on the way the aliens reproduce (codenamed “Alien Breeding” for sort). Reproduction methods of most Alien species are definitely non-natural. In fact, only one of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”, which is the Viper, as it can lay eggs and can be described as reptilian-like. Morlocks are evolved primates without reproductive organs (they seem to be surgically removed), Artopods and Terror-Discs are mechanical, Satyrians and Raptors are surgically and genetically manipulated and Spawns are living terror weapons created via genetic engineering. Cloaks and Greys seem to be genetically enhanced species which have achieved special mental abilities. In addition, most individuals of each alien species are almost 100% similar in both physical and genetic level. These facts leaded us to the assumption that aliens clone themselves.

During a battlefield mission, a strange chamber was discovered, which was full of awkward cylindrical devices, in which some biological mass of alien origin was contained. This chamber mostly consists of cybernetic control consoles and devices, for which the most fitting name is “incubators”. They consist of a nutrient-rich artificial amniotic fluid in which fetuses in various stages of development were suspended. The liquid ensures a rapid growth of the embryo inside. After a deep analysis of both the incubator device and the contained liquid, we have discerned a complex electronic structure. Complicated circuits, accurate sensors and nutrient regulators are all operating automatically and effectively. The most fascinating feature of the incubator is nanotechnology. Nanomachines were detected in the liquid, repairing the fetus’ tissues and cleaning the liquid itself. We have so far been unsuccessful in removing the liquid from the containers without disrupting power flow and upsetting the operating balance, thus damaging the device, as both the incubator and the liquid require a constant addition of energy, which is provided from the incubator’s energy battery and is recharged by the ship’s or base’s Xenium reactor. While conducting research on an incubator, X-Corps scientists found some Ventriculant tissue in the fluid, but not on the fetus. This is yet another proof that Ventriculant tissue is the main factor in alien cloning. In order to produce a whole organism with different cell types, the aliens must feed Ventriculant cells with different DNA strings (probably “in vitro” at their bases), which make the cells transform into various body parts, as i.e. vital organs and skin. The fetuses are then placed in incubators in a breeding chamber, in order to have the energy, nutrients and growth-safe environment (indispensable premises for their complete and successful transformation) provided by the incubators. Aliens do not appear to be grown on ships because the energy requirements of weapons, propulsion, and navigation systems prevent the UFO from providing the steep energy demands of the Alien incubators. Instead, Alien fetuses are held in the less energy-intensive stasis until they arrive at an Alien base, where final cell specializations occur.

This method of reproduction is highly efficient, because with this factory-line system the alien invaders generate the various alien clones they need (soldiers, scientists, pilots, engineers etc) in a medium time period. Many scientific and military agents suggested using these chambers in order to easily and efficiently clone troops. The possibility of using these devices in order to provide rapid production of X-Corps soldiers was proven to be impossible to materialize. Setting ethical and technical issues aside (with the latter being overwhelming, such as the needed Xenium and its reactor, Ventriculant feeding/capture, inefficient cost wise procedure), we face a yet unsolvable issue, despite our throughout experimenting. Whenever we feed Ventriculant tissue with human DNA, the cells stay idle. Enzyme administration has not proven to be an efficacious solution. This incompatibility problem is to be addressed further.

Further research has also shown that these incubators also have a device that plants cybernetic implants in the brain of the freshly cloned aliens. With a specific procedure, these components upload racial memories and all scientific, technical or combat information into the blank mind of the reproduced creatures. We’ve also found something of great interest: After deep analysis, it is clear that Alien individuals show similar brain activity, near-to-identical brainwaves and coincident reactions when responding to Interrogation. These facts suggest that cloned Aliens share a common concept, but we haven’t yet managed to locate the source.

- Major Tommy J. Fork

Please, don't make any grammar/syntax/vocabulary/double writting comments, let's leave that to the proofreading 4CE! ^_^

I think that all ideas are clear. We MAY have a problem with the final sentence. The "source" is meant to be the concept and thoughts of the "sharing individual", the one who shares it with all the cloned aliens, which actually is the OverMind. But, we can't make it clear yet, so... I just let people imagine ^_^.

Edited by kafros

• 3 weeks later...
Well, dippy? Any progress??? :sorry:

Why are you looking at me? Did I say something and then not do it? :blush1:

Anyhow, looking at the text, it looks really good, but where do we get this 'strange chamber' from? If the aliens do not install them on ships, then it is a logical assumption that you get the chamber from a base - but the player may or may not have assaulted (successfully) an alien base as yet. This could post a slight problem for the tech tree - as far as I know, assaulting an alien base is not a prerequisite for this research?

*ahem*

You assigned yourself to this task in the task Tracker and told me that you will complete it

*ahem*

Edit: Of course there's no problem with that, but I would just like to see it complete, either by me or someone else :)

Edited by kafros

Well, I have just made comments assuming that you are the author - therefore what do you propose to do? Either we can rearrange the tech tree (which I doubt will happen for v1) or you will have to modify this 'strange chamber' - or say it is theoretical or something? :huh?:

Where exactly is the tech tree?

When are we supposed to be able to research Alien Breeding?

I haven't read the text recently, but IIRC, I mention that Incubators are mainly found in bases, as they need to be taken care of. But, [supply ships] may also transfer fetuses between bases, so you can also find Incubators in ships. I think that the same happened in EU :)

Looks like "strange chamber" refers more to a room, than an actual object. Perhaps changing "strange chamber" to "strange room" or "strange alcove" would lessen the confusion...

From what is written in the text, incubators appear in both ships and bases. However, Alien fetuses are only grown in bases; the incubators hold fetuses in stasis while they are being transported by UFOs. If the text is confusing, it might need some rewording to clarify it.

If mentioning "Alien bases" is premature, it can always be rephrased into something like, "Since every single Alien fetus found in UFOs was held in stasis, this suggests that Alien bases have been established on Earth for final incubations," or, "Because of the rather young apparent age of the tissue and the amazing uniformity of the cellular structure, we suspect the Aliens are cloned or incubated somewhere in close proximity to Earth... perhaps on Earth itself..." or something like that.

Ok, here's the Tech tree.

Alien Breeding becomes available after obtaining the Alien Breeding item AND completing every autopsy... I might be presumptuous in saying this, but by the time the player has researched every Alien autopsy, they would probably have found an Alien base already...

Of course there's no problem with that, but I would just like to see it complete, either by me or someone else
You know... I'm always willing to pick up discarded texts. :Tomato: Edited by Astyanax

Actually, strange chamber IS a room, the room where incubators and alien zupa-gupa-computers are located :)

Now... Not all aliens are "available" by the end of the first year, right? And, the game informs you that a base is found at the end of each new year (or that happens when a country signs a pact with the aliens? :huh: ). Thus, we can "program" the game to... help us correct that problem so that a base is always found before you kill every kind of alien.

These 2 sentences you mention sound cool, but another problem lies among them: If you have already found a/more base(s), then doesn't it sound silly to say: "perhaps on Earth itself..." or " this suggests that Alien bases have been established on Earth" ? We could try something like "suspected alien bases", that sounds a bit confusing... Naah, something more fitting should be found :innocent:

Please, read the text again and if you find it confusing I'll change it :). Personally, I think it needs some "spice" :wink1: :P :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ALIEN BREEDING

X-Corps scientists were surprised by the results derived from the recent studies on the way the aliens reproduce (codenamed “Alien Breeding” for short). Reproduction methods of most Alien species are definitely non-natural. In fact, only one of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”, which is the Viper, as it can lay eggs and can be described as reptilian-like. Morlocks are evolved primates without reproductive organs (they seem to be surgically removed), Artopods and Terror-Discs are mechanical, Satyrians and Raptors are surgically and genetically manipulated and Spawns are living terror weapons created via genetic engineering. Cloaks and Greys have been genetically alternated to extremes, and their neural system has evolved in such a way that has permitted them to achieve special mental abilities. Most Alien indiciduals have similar-to-identical physical and genetic attributes, and many kinds of enhancements have been found. These facts leaded us to the assumption that aliens clone themselves.

During battlefield operations, X-Corps has salvaged new kinds of co-operating equipment which is accountable for the large number of Aliens we encounter. This equipment can be found in special rooms full of awkward cylindical devices in which some biological mass of alien origin is contained. After the completion of our research, we codenamed that kind of room as "Reproduction Chamber".

This chamber mostly consists of devices which we call incubators. They are connected to cybernetic control consoles and seem to be programmed and automated for the most part. Incubators consist of a nutrient-rich artificial amniotic fluid in which fetuses in various stages of development are suspended. The liquid ensures a rapid growth of the embryo inside. After a deep analysis of both the incubator device and the contained liquid, we have discerned a complex electronic structure. Complicated circuits, accurate sensors and nutrient regulators are all operating in harmony, automatically and effectively. The most fascinating feature of the incubator is nanotechnology. Nanomachines were detected in the liquid, repairing the fetus’ tissues and cleaning the liquid itself. We have so far been unsuccessful in removing the liquid from the containers without disrupting power flow and upsetting the operating balance, thus damaging the device, as both the incubator and the liquid require a constant addition of energy, which has to be provided by a Xenium reactor. While conducting research on an incubator, X-Corps scientists found some Ventriculant tissue in the fluid, but not on the fetus. This is yet another proof that Ventriculant tissue is the main factor in alien cloning. In order to produce a whole organism with different cell types, the aliens must feed Ventriculant cells with different DNA strings (probably “in vitro” at their bases), which make the cells transform into various body parts, as i.e. vital organs and skin. The fetuses are then placed in incubators in a breeding chamber, in order to have the energy, nutrients and growth-safe environment (indispensable premises for their complete and successful transformation) provided by the incubators.

Aliens do not appear to be grown on ships because the energy requirements of weapons, propulsion, and navigation systems prevent the UFO from providing the steep energy demands of the Alien incubators. Thus, we suspect that Alien fetuses are held in less energy-intensive stasis until they arrive at an Alien base, where final cell specializations occur.

This method of reproduction is highly efficient, because with this factory-line system the alien invaders generate the various alien clones they need (soldiers, scientists, pilots, engineers etc) in a medium time period. Many scientific and military agents suggested using these chambers in order to easily and efficiently clone troops. The possibility of using these devices in order to provide rapid production of X-Corps soldiers was proven to be impossible to materialize. Setting ethical and technical issues aside (with the latter being overwhelming, such as the needed Xenium and its reactor, Ventriculant feeding/capture, inefficient cost wise procedure), we face a yet unsolvable issue, despite our throughout experimenting. Whenever we feed Ventriculant tissue with human DNA, the cells stay idle. Enzyme administration has not proven to be an efficacious solution. This incompatibility problem is to be addressed further.

Further research has also shown that these incubators also have a device that plants cybernetic implants in the brain of the freshly cloned aliens. With a specific procedure, these components upload racial memories and all scientific, technical or combat information into the blank mind of the reproduced creatures. We’ve also found something of great interest: After deep analysis, it is clear that Alien individuals show similar brain activity, near-to-identical brainwaves and coincident reactions when responding to Interrogation. These facts suggest that cloned Aliens share a common concept, but we haven’t yet managed to locate the source.

"Oh, so it's just cloning, not anything else? Why'd you call it 'alien breeding' then? Damn, I thought I could create a new kind of porn-perversion, xenophilia...

- Scientist Tommy J. Fork, nicknamed "The Nerd"

Edited by kafros

I can't get to it right away (RL is beckoning me), but I'll go through the text (hopefully) within the next few days.

Oops, it's been quite a bit longer than a few days, hasn't it? Sorry kafros, it slipped my mind :(, though if you don't mind, I can still put some pretty colors in the text. :P Otherwise, I'll wait until it's in the proofreading forum.

No problem pal :)

Do you like the new changes in the text? If there aren't any comments or serious changes that should be made, the put it in Phase I and it's all yours to... colorize! :D

Edited by kafros

Guest Azrael
We have so far been unsuccessful in removing the liquid from the containers without disrupting power flow and upsetting the operating balance, thus damaging the device, as both the incubator and the liquid require a constant addition of energy, which has to be provided by a Xenium reactor. While conducting research on an incubator, X-Corps scientists found some Ventriculant tissue in the fluid, but not on the fetus. This is yet another proof that Ventriculant tissue is the main factor in alien cloning. In order to produce a whole organism with different cell types, the aliens must feed Ventriculant cells with different DNA strings (probably “in vitro” at their bases), which make the cells transform into various body parts, as i.e. vital organs and skin. The fetuses are then placed in incubators in a breeding chamber, in order to have the energy, nutrients and growth-safe environment (indispensable premises for their complete and successful transformation) provided by the incubators.

Aliens do not appear to be grown on ships because the energy requirements of weapons, propulsion, and navigation systems prevent the UFO from providing the steep energy demands of the Alien incubators. Thus, we suspect that Alien fetuses are held in less energy-intensive stasis until they arrive at an Alien base, where final cell specializations occur.

There is a small issue here. First, I don't understand why removing the liquid disrupts power, it's not clear, and I don't think that is feasible, after all, the UFO loses power when it's shot down or when the troopers remove the Reactors. Next, all power in ship is provided by Xenium Reactors, so if there are some onboard, they power the incubators too. I think instead of making it so obscure, it'd be better to put it this way: the incubators transport fetuses which we have evidence are clones, where they are cloned remains unknown (as they are cloned in Mars itself), the liquid is simply nutrient-rich liquid (no need for nanos) meant to sustaint he fetuses during their travel to Alien Bases, where they'll complete their growth and implantation of cybernetic complements.

Other than that, the text looks great, fix that up and we'll take a final look :) good work.

There is a small issue here. First, I don't understand why removing the liquid disrupts  power, it's not clear, and I don't think that is feasible, after all, the UFO loses power when it's shot down or when the troopers remove the Reactors. Next, all power in ship is provided by Xenium Reactors, so if there are some onboard, they power the incubators too. I think instead of making it so obscure, it'd be better to put it this way: the incubators transport fetuses which we have evidence are clones, where they are cloned remains unknown (as they are cloned in Mars itself), the liquid is simply nutrient-rich liquid (no need for nanos) meant to sustaint he fetuses during their travel to Alien Bases, where they'll complete their growth and implantation of cybernetic complements.

About power disruption, indeed there is no reason. Gotta fix that.

In the previous draft, I clearly said that there was a direct connection between X.R. and the Chamber. Probably forgot to make it clear in the new draft.

Hey, the aliens have developed Space-travel and Psionics, and aren't using nanos?!?!?! :blink2:

the incubators transport fetuses which we have evidence are clones, where they are cloned remains unknown...the liquid is simply nutrient-rich liquid meant to sustaint he fetuses during their travel to Alien Bases, where they'll complete their growth and implantation of cybernetic complements.

Isn't that clear already?! :blink:

Edited by kafros

Guest Azrael
There is a small issue here. First, I don't understand why removing the liquid disrupts  power, it's not clear, and I don't think that is feasible, after all, the UFO loses power when it's shot down or when the troopers remove the Reactors. Next, all power in ship is provided by Xenium Reactors, so if there are some onboard, they power the incubators too. I think instead of making it so obscure, it'd be better to put it this way: the incubators transport fetuses which we have evidence are clones, where they are cloned remains unknown (as they are cloned in Mars itself), the liquid is simply nutrient-rich liquid (no need for nanos) meant to sustaint he fetuses during their travel to Alien Bases, where they'll complete their growth and implantation of cybernetic complements.

Ty ^^

About power disruption, indeed there is no reason. Gotta fix that.

In the previous draft, I clearly said that there was a direct connection between X.R. and the Chamber. Probably forgot to make it clear in the new draft.

Hey, the aliens have developed Space-travel and Psionics, and aren't using nanos?!?!?!  :blink2:

the incubators transport fetuses which we have evidence are clones, where they are cloned remains unknown...the liquid is simply nutrient-rich liquid meant to sustaint he fetuses during their travel to Alien Bases, where they'll complete their growth and implantation of cybernetic complements.

Isn't that clear already?! :blink:

Not as clear as it could be, right now it's not very clear what's the purpose of the chambers, I think mainly because the name is misleading. You call them "reproduction chambers", but they are not actually that, as the cloning process takes place on Mars :)

Also, I don't see the purpose of nanos in the liquid, if it's meant to be a nutrient.

About the Xenium Reactor, as long as you mention that the chamber does not have one of its own, but it's rather powered by the ships' Xenium Reactor. :)

Az already mentioned the "Reproductive Chamber"- maybe it should be called "Cloning Chamber"? Just be careful to consistently refer to "chamber" as a room and not as a small enclosure (e.g. incubation chamber) or vice versa. Though "chamber" can mean both, it's confusing if you use both close together- the reader might not understand which one you're referring to. From now on, I'll refer to the room as the "Cloning Chamber" and the incubation chamber as the "incubation apparatus" in this post.

Hey- maybe you could tie in an idea from ex-Con87's Alien Harvest CT? If the Aliens are indeed harvesting mitochondria, perhaps you could add a line saying that the nanomachines helped incorporate mitochondria into Alien cells? Then you could add another line describing the grisly contents of various vats associated with the incubation apparatus- vat of raw Ventriculant tissue, another container full of bloody mitochondria, one of a liquid metal (the nanorobots), another of the foul-smelling amniotic fluid...?

This would give the nanorobots a reason to be in the incubation apparatus, imho. :P

About the power disruption part... maybe you could mention that "recovered UFOs are disassembled before salvaging (it's impossible to transport such a large object), and in the process, the extremely sensitive incubation apparatuses invariably fail, likely due to power disruptions"?

Edited by Astyanax

Guest Azrael
Hey- maybe you could tie in an idea from ex-Con87's Alien Harvest CT?  If the Aliens are indeed harvesting mitochondria, perhaps you could add a line saying that the nanomachines helped incorporate mitochondria into Alien cells?  Then you could add another line describing the grisly contents of various vats associated with the incubation apparatus- vat of raw Ventriculant tissue, another container full of bloody mitochondria, one of a liquid metal (the nanorobots), another of the foul-smelling amniotic fluid...?

Better not, Alien Harvest has been ditched by ex-Con and still needs major modifications (any takers? :D), don't include the mitocondria part.

Instead of Reproduction Chambers, I believe Incubation would fit best.

I think the "Reproduction Chamber" is the room where the incubation apparatuses are in. (kafros: this is the sort of confusion that I mentioned in my last post about using two different definitions of "chamber" in close proximity in the CT :P) Edited by Astyanax

Wait, did these rooms exist in X-Com's UFOs?

? :blink2: ?

http://ufopaedia.xcomufo.com/alienreproduction.htm

If you remember, there was a room in Alien bases where these cylinders were installed. You could not see any fetuses, but whatever...

DON'T confuse them with food storage cylinders :P

And, in TFTD, there were cryogenics rooms were you could see body vaults, nano-injectors and MC-Trainers :)

So, a nice mixture of them all will make Alien Breeding!

Idea: Newborn aliens should be hungry! So, why not add food storage in the room?

Even cloning is a kind of reproduction: You reproduce an organism. And, at the start of the CT, I mention different aliens, including Vipers (which aren't cloned), so Alien Breeding seems nice :).

But, I could agree with "Cloning Chamber" or "Cloning Vault". "Incubation Gizmo"???? :D. Apparatus just doesn't sound that good, but there's no actual problem with using it, so "Incubation Apparatus" :)

Other comments?