Concept Art / Fan Art

gu35s

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok. now you need to make sure that the outer walls are 1 meter thick according to that block so they match the rest of the complexes. after that you also need to cut the height of the walls down to the same level as the other buildings and split the top level from the lower level so we can hide if the player is zoomed in that far.

1 meter thick walls is within 25x25 or outside?

What is the size for player box?

What's the wall height of each level? If the height got too compressed, should I just compress Z scale of Spire or change the design accordingly? Maybe edit the spire to go up to top level?

1 meter thick INSIDE the 25x25.

hmmm.. probably the easiest thing then would be to fix the outer wall asize and the paste the interior part into an existing module shell that I've attached.

facility_shell.zip

Edited by Vaaish

Actually, I used the lab.3DS as sample. So I manage to throw in the real servers too. Edited the spire to fit into 2 levels.

image1

image2

I am not sure of the size of player box so I just use 1x2 meter box.

Edited by gu35s

go ahead and put everything inside of that shell I posted... it lines up better between the levels than what you posted since it was designed from the ground up to be two sotry. I also think there are too many servers in there.,,, remember most of the processing is in that central core. also I posted the scale block you need to use to ensure the inside of the section is scaled correctly. use it.

psychtrainfalv6_img1

psychtrainfalv6_img2

Cleaned up some unneeded polys that can be fixed by using texturing i.e. monitor screen, keyboards, etc.

And edited the spire to be less messy for similar reason.

Is it just me or it feels very spacey? probably would be better after texturing... can someone help with that, please?

psychtrainfal_v6.blend.zip

Edited by gu35s

Just a quick question, did you have someting special in mind with those two "phone boths" ( the one in the entrance area is the one most puzzeling for me.) No offense meant, just checking, because I can't think of sth spontanious.

uh, phone booths? you mean the red scale block? I would replace them with character model if I have em, but it seems that the ones I found are .max files and I couldn't open them with blender =\ (or I just simply don't know how)

uh, phone booths? you mean the red scale block? I would replace them with character model if I have em, but it seems that the ones I found are .max files and I couldn't open them with blender =\ (or I just simply don't know how)

Ohh, I see, so those won't be in the final model then. Thanks! :)

I have been trying to texture the bottom of spire for a few hours now. It's official, I suck at texturing...

Anyway, I can unwrap okay, do the bits of photoshop and able to put it down on uvmap, but I can't seem to be able to render the texture. Still trying a few things.

If there is anyone who can help with texturing, please do.

I use blender, and I found the way to unwrap and texture it. It sucks so bad I am too embarrassed to show it....

I thought something looked really odd, so I looked back to Vaaish's sketch, and found the model of spire is different. Here is a new version of the spire that is closer to Vaaish's sketch.

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/2530/psychtrainfalv7ss01ej5.jpg

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3009/psychtrainfalv7ss02ol0.jpg

Sumo, you can always download the previous zipped blender file if you would like to. I attached this version's too.

psychtrainfal_v7.zip

http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/4644/psiamprndrgs2.jpg

I really don't think the stun launcher works very well, the first looks a bit too phallic and the second a little plain. Alien weapons should look "cooler" than human ones if possible.

oops. second is psi-amp. not stun launcher.

For first one. Other than the weapon itself, how is the "sleeve"? Maybe I can start modeling alien weps where the sleeve is formed with the weapon itself rather than the "cuff" style I made before.

phallic.. very interesting choice of word. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallic are you sure?

Actually it might be a bit phallic... But who says the Aliens don't have to compensate...? ;)

But something else "bothers" me more: I get the feeling this weapon (actually both models - the weapon and the psiamp) is a bit... unwieldily/bulky. I know it's good tradition that Alien weapons have to be all about tearing your arm off if you try to lift them, but maybe you could try to make them a bit more practical (read: slim)? :)

LOL

yah, I have that feeling too. The more I look at it, the more i feel like they could be spaceships instead :P

Anyway, here's the v2 and v2b of psi-amp.

Edit: 2b is the ones above. The ones to the right are just testing the subsurf version.

Edited by gu35s

You do a very nice job very quick keep it up, that new render to me makes it seem like you arm is supposed to go inside, as it would incase your arm, i agree with mad, off balanced that would be fine if you would add another handle for a second hand...

How about having it actually need for the hand to be inserted? worn like a glove (of sorts), the interior would be filled with Alien Composites that would adapt to the hand of whatever Alien.

There. Psi-amp v3.

Although it seems that the second handles are quite awkward... what do you think if I take out the second handles, and the second hand can be placed under the rails instead?

@Azrael: Do you mean the stun launcher or the psi-amp? I'll model another one for glove like psi-amp later and see how it looks.

Edited by gu35s

I'm not quite sure whether the Psi-Amp was a "one handed" or "two handed" operated device. Zombie? :)

As for placing the hand under the rails: Might be a good idea, because otherwise it's unbalanced again (now to one side). So maybe you could make a handle/grip area under the rails, or even on top of them (just like a chainsaw... :) ) But in the second case I wonder if it might not be better to have the rear handle the other way around (turn 180°)

But let's see the glove version.. :)

I definetly love the new front part! Really cool!

PsiAmp_v3b. Edited the second handles to the rails.

PsiAmp_v4. Glove version. Or more like gauntlet version.

Something keeps nagging me bout v4, but I can't tell what. Maybe some input and suggestion would help. (or even just say "SCRAP IT!" would be fine too :P)

I think the next one I am going to edit v3b so the end handle is connected on both end of handles rather than just one.

Edited by gu35s

why is the psi-amp getting to be so huge? it should be small... handheld or possibly even headgear

Oops, missed that post. *Discarding psi-amp_v4*

HEAD GEAR! That'd be nice. Maybe I can make more of a headband :P

I don't remember if the psi-amp was 1x2 or 1x3. Is there any size/block constraint or is it free for all? Maybe I can make some kind of head gear with 2x2 setting.

Why not?

As I said, if we are to follow X-Com... Because in X-Com it was handheld, and changing it would alter gameplay, and the main idea behind Xeno was to stay as true to X-Com as possible, not changing stuff.

Also, there was no headgear in X-Com.

Well you know, you Could indeed make a headset, that acts as a BONUS to the Psi Amp, but removes the Helmet.

It would be rather balanced and wouldnt altar gameplay too awfully, although I do think using a Percent value rather than a Set value would make more sense for it xD

I say go back to the earlier versions of the Psi amp, and just stuff a handle on the side :D

Or, make it hook around the Elbow with the handle underneathe?

Or possibly on top hanging under the arm.

@Azrael: Oh, "if we are to follow". For some reason I think I read "we are not allow to". I must have been very tired when I read that :P

Sumo: The version 3c should be okay. since the back handle is connected on both end, and since the shape of the psiamp really have no up or down makes me thinks you can hold it any way you want it as long as the front is pointed to the target or at least away from you. So basically you can hold the back handle horizontally or vertically and still be able to hold the front handles on the rails, or as u said, elbow under it. Except if there is other suggestions for the secondary side handles?

just trying to think outside the box here and get some new takes on the whole idea. if you think about it it makes alot more sense to have something that enhances latent psychic abilities around the head and not in the hand. THere are other difficulties to work with like characters using them couldn't wear helmets.

ok v3c doesn't look too bad, lets change that protrusion opposite the handle to fit around the users arm like it has to interface with his body, and to pull a really bad scifi reference, lke the wrist cannons off Earth Final Conflict.

keep the look of that protrusion the same just adapt it to fit over the forearm and rest in the palm

Err. I don't quite understand. Which protrusion opposite the handle? I am not very sure what protrusion means o,O

Never watched EFC, and don't really know how it looks like. I just made the whole model up while I was making it.

Brain slow. Just wake up. *Slam head on table*

turn the end that pokes out from the center the farthest into something that looks like it connects to the users arm without changing how it looks too much.

I don't think my brain is kicking today.

Edit the front so it connects to users arms like the one to left or right?

Wait. Or do you mean the front has some kind of connection to the holding arm at the handle? or do you mean that it's like a gauntlet where the whole forearm inserted and have a handle at the middle of the protruding section?

Or just tell me by pictures probably works better.

*Drink more coffee*

Edit: Actually, I think I'll take a quick nap. I hope that clear the fog.

Edited by gu35s

I think he means more of the line as we were talking about earlier, you made a glove attached to the handle, we are talking about the device being the glove, now I just copy pasted part of your image but you get the idea, make the end hollow and form to an arm.

psiampv3crndrjz4_1_.jpg

I think he means more of the line as we were talking about earlier, you made a glove attached to the handle, we are talking about the device being the glove, now I just copy pasted part of your image but you get the idea, make the end hollow and form to an arm.

Yeah, remember Xeno is to follow X-Com, so we just won't have (at least initially) a two-handed psi-amp.

Err. Vaish said, "the end that pokes out from the center the farthest", so I imagined it's the "CEEE( )" part rather than then "()]=)" part. But I may be wrong.

I ll try to put up a gloved handle as suggested first. And I think I have another idea for it. I'll post em up maybe around tonite or tomorrow.

Vaaish, um, simpler but more descriptive explanation, please?