XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - GAIA Defense Array

pros for computer guidance:

Easy to design and manufacture, Theoretically faster response time

cons:

Can be fooled relatively easily(countermeasures, ecm and such), can't dodge counterfire.

pros for Mind-Missle-Interface:

Harder to trick(provided operator has a eye's view of what's going on), operator can initiate complex manuvers to throw off counterfire or intercept target

cons:

harder to implement, stressful on operator.

Given that the Fusion Missle has high accuracy, I think that the MMI might be an easier way to explain away the discrepencies between basic missle and fusion missle intercept capabilities.

/me pulls out a chainsaw and gets ready to rip the CT into pieces...

First of all, how big is this missle going to be? Judging from the already modeled Fusion Missle Defence Base Module, the missle would, at the most, be five feet in diameter. Current human tech for particle accelerators that can collide particles hard enough to even create antimatter require huge amounts of energy, and relatively huge cyclic accelerators and long acceleration times.

Even with alien tech, we must still stay relatively within the bounds of reality, and developing a missle that uses particle accelerators to generate anti-matter at time of impact is needlessly complicated. Might as well just use anti-matter stored in a magnetic bottle that releases the anti-matter upon impact. Then again, there's the matter of consistancy with the predecessor. The original Fusion Bomb CT that I worte used a xenium generator to create a miniture blackhole, later revisions by someone else turned it into a gravitic molecular squisher...  :huh?: I'm still wondering how that works. However, in both cases, it made use of xenium and/or it's reactor to achieve the effect.

:Coffee: OMFG I just realized that I ate all the second 'i's in 'missiles' throughout the whole post!

Yeah, we didn't want to tell you :P

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG, I completely forgot about this! [rolls into a ball, hoping Azrael won't vaporize him]

Okay, here's the next draft.

As the war progresses, our forces are faced with the growing threat of alien scouts in search of our hidden bases. Despite our efforts to shoot these craft down, it is inevitable that one day, our bases will be discovered, and with larger and significantly more powerful UFOs becoming common, an attack on these facilities would almost certainly be deadly. Our ground forces cannot hope to survive long against a continuous onslaught, and would soon be wiped out. Thus, our only hope is to destroy any and all attacking UFOs before they get a chance to unload their troops. In the past, we have used mounted missile turrets for this purpose. However, examination of larger UFOs has shown that in the face of a determined assault, these defenses would present next to no resistance. Indeed, the projectiles used are useless against the hulls of most of these craft! Although our engineers have long searched for a solution, it has not come to them until now.

Recently captured alien “Fusion Bomb Launchers” have provided valuable insights into the field of heavy weaponry. These incredibly destructive pieces of technology operate using proton-charged warheads to actually create a small, temporary black hole. The rapid dispersement of these Xenium- powered highly charged sub-atomic particles can actually create a gravitational warp, which, in the lack of another gravitational pull to cancel it out, will grow indefinitely. Moments after this “hole” appears, the lack of gravity in the target area will cause the surrounding area’s gravity to implode upon said spot. This will in turn create a larger area of lesser gravity, which will continue to suck in even more gravity until the “hole’s” gravity is equal to that of the surrounding area. Though this requires a sizable amount of gravitational force, Earth contains an extraordinary amount of gravity within each cubic millimeter. Thus, the gravity warp will usually extend X meters from the origin. The pull of gravity in this area is strong enough to pull the individual atoms of even the strongest materials apart, destroying everything in the area. Yet, this is only half of the damage. The warhead will have been atomized, too, at this point, releasing the original gravity warp. The previously withheld gravity will rip through the area, in an effort to neutralize the minute differences in gravity. The resulting explosion will then proceed to rip apart any remaining objects.

Although the damage caused by this hand-held device is incredible enough, our engineers have found a way to magnify one, and mount it on a tower. If several of these modules are used in combination, the chances of repelling alien invaders are very high. This new employment of alien technology will greatly improve the defensive capabilities of our bases, reducing the threat to them. This innovation may help us survive long enough to discover the aliens’ Master Plan, and thwart it, finally winning this terrible war.

How is it? I completely rewrote it to fit the Fusion Bomb Launcher entry. Did I miss anything?

*picks up nearby psionic crusher, and evil flashes in eyes*

"come here tsereve"

not too bad. I have to say i totally disagree with the black hole thing, as it is a sketchy area to be using, especially considering that the black hole could last forever due to time warps and the question of where does the black hole go, but i won't go into that. It already too far in to be pushed out

• 2 weeks later...

Ask and ye shall receive, but don't let the colors intimidate you.

Red text indicates additions, orange text indicates deletions, and blue text indicates comments.

Added [brackets] and capitalizations of “Aliens” are not denoted.

As the war progresses, our forces hidden bases are faced with the growing threat of Alien scouts in search of our hidden bases discovery by Alien scouts. Despite our efforts to shoot these craft down, it is inevitable that one day, our bases will be discovered, and with larger and significantly more powerful UFOs becoming commonplace, an attack on these our facilities would almost certainly be deadly costly?. Our ground forces cannot hope to survive long against a continuous onslaught ”Our ground forces are ill-equipped/are not trained (give a reason why they can’t survive long) for a continuous onslaught”?, and would soon be wiped out ”and their resistance would soon be weathered away”?. Thus, our only best hope is to destroy any and all attacking UFOs before they get a chance to unload to prevent their troops from gaining entry. In the past, wAlthough we have used mounted missile turrets for this purpose in the past,. However, examinations of larger UFOs has have shown that in the face of a determined assault, these defenses would present ”offer little or no”? next to no resistance. Indeed, the projectiles used are useless against the hulls of most of these craft! Suggest mentioning why the missiles are useless: low damage, limited penetration, low rate of fire; missiles just can’t dish out the damage quickly enough to delay or prevent an enemy ground assault.  Although our engineers have long searched for a solution, it has not come to them until now ”...solution, it was our scientists that finally unearthed the answer”.

Recently captured Alien “Fusion Bomb Launchers” have provided valuable insights into the field of heavy weaponry ”..., bringing our destructive capabilities to an entirely new level”. These incredibly destructive ”potent”? pieces of technology operate using proton-charged warheads to actually create a small, temporary black hole I have to agree with blehm, I think the black hole idea is pretty unbelievable.  Maybe some sort of “demolecularization field” ala Ender’s Game or maybe play up Xenium’s ability to fold space?. The rapid dispersement of these Xenium-powered ”propelled”? highly charged sub-atomic particles can actually create a gravitational warp, which, in the lack of another gravitational pull to cancel it out, will grow indefinitely. Moments after this “hole” appears, the lack of gravity in the target area will cause the surrounding area’s gravity to implode upon said spot. This will in turn create a larger area of lesser gravity, which will continue to suck in even more gravity until the “hole’s” gravity is equal to that of the surrounding area. Though this requires a sizable amount of gravitational force, Earth contains an extraordinary amount of gravity within each cubic millimeter. Thus, the gravity warp will usually extend X meters from the origin.  The pull of gravity in this area is strong enough to pull the individual atoms of even the strongest materials apart, destroying everything in the area. Yet, this is only half of the damage. The warhead will have been atomized, too, at this point, releasing the original gravity warp. The previously withheld gravity will rip through the area, in an effort to neutralize the minute differences in gravity. The last nine sentences are too confusing and perhaps too technical for the text at hand.  I’d suggest paring it down significantly if you keep the black hole as your reason behind the [FBL].  Also, keep in mind that X-Corps soldiers can sometimes survive a near miss.  How can a soldier’s armor let alone his/her body resist gravity itself?. The resulting explosion will then proceed to rip apart any remaining objects.

Although the damage caused by this hand-held field portable? device is incredible enough, our engineers have, amazingly, found a way to mount it on a tower and magnify one, and its destructive potential XX-fold mount it on a tower Isn’t the craft-mounted version of the [FBL] discovered before Fusion Defense is?  If so, the craft-mounted version should be scaled up for use in Fusion Defense, not the hand-held one. If several of these modules are used in combination, the chances of repelling our bases have a significantly greater chance to repulse any Alien invaders are very high. This new employment deployment of adapted Alien technology will greatly improve the defensive capabilities of our bases, reducing the threat to them. This innovation may and might just help us survive long enough to discover the [Aliens’ Master Plan], and how to thwart it, and allow us to win finally winning this terrible war.

Edited by Astyanax

• 1 month later...

As mentioned in Azrael's recent post in the pinned Creative Text Department Agendas thread, we should try to get those facility CTs finished.

I'm bumping this thread so our itinerant CTD crew can pore over the science in the text. :P I didn't change much of the science in the CT during my proofreading, so for those of you who don't want to look at my "glowing texts" :D, refer to Tsereve's text in post #53.

If I recall correctly, although the name "Fusion Defense Facility" hasn't been finalized, the preceding items from which it's name will likely be derived (Fusion Launcher, Fusion Bomb, and Fusion Missile) have been decided on, so don't go changing the name.

Cheers!

-Asty

Guest Azrael
As mentioned in Azrael's recent post in the pinned Creative Text Department Agendas thread, we should try to get those facility CTs finished.

I'm bumping this thread so our itinerant CTD crew can pore over the science in the text. :P  I didn't change much of the science in the CT during my proofreading, so for those of you who don't want to look at my "glowing texts" :D, refer to Tsereve's text in post #53.

If I recall correctly, although the name "Fusion Defense Facility" hasn't been finalized, the preceding items from which it's name will likely be derived (Fusion Launcher, Fusion Bomb, and Fusion Missile) have been decided on, so don't go changing the name.

Cheers!

-Asty

I think one of the main issues is it's "blackhole" principle of functioning, as you said, it's pretty unbelievable, I haven't checked the Fusion launcher yet, must, but we need something else, that demolecularisation field of yours sounds quite cool actually.

Also, I believe at some points the text doesn't sound too scientific, like the use of ! signs, which doesn't fit in a scientific report. And, the beginning of the last paragraph is confusing, I know you are talking about the FBL, but as this text is about the facility, it's not that clears and the first time it reads funny, you read and think "how is this facility hand-held???".

Edit: I've read the other text, and it doesn't precisely says a blackhole, it says a dimensional gravity well, or dimensional well (don't exactly remember at the moment).

Edited by Azrael

I don't know if it's apropriate, but this is what I did in Missile Defence Array.

I left out most descriptive work about how the missiles function, leaving that part for the 'Titan Missile' text.

I assume it wouldn't be very bad to focus on how the building work, rather than what's happening with the fusion balls. Leaving the headache of explaining how all that work for the "Fusion Missile Launcher" writer.

I know, you probably worked so much for that explanation, but...

Edited by dan2

I think one of the main issues is it's "blackhole" principle of functioning, as you said, it's pretty unbelievable, I haven't checked the Fusion launcher yet, must, but we need something else, that demolecularisation field of yours sounds quite cool actually.

Also, I believe at some points the text doesn't sound too scientific, like the use of ! signs, which doesn't fit in a scientific report. And, the beginning of the last paragraph is confusing, I know you are talking about the FBL, but as this text is about the facility, it's not that clears and the first time it reads funny, you read and think "how is this facility hand-held???".

Edit: I've read the other text, and it doesn't precisely says a blackhole, it says a dimensional gravity well, or dimensional well (don't exactly remember at the moment).

"Demolucularisation field"? Was that in my older drafts? Well, I'll look into that, as well as fixing the whole "scientific style" thing. And you're right, now that I look at it, the "hand-held" part is quite confusing!

As for the dimensional gravity well vs. black hole thing, Stephan Hawkings (I think it was him, might've benn Feynmann) once compared the two similarly, almost as synonyms. But if you're really troubled by it, I'll change it.

And dan2, don't worry, CTDs are meant to be rewritten. :D

Personally, I think a "demolecularization field" is even more far-fetched than a good ole black hole cannon...

But in anycase, we don't really need mini-blackholes or demolecularization field to make a deadly weapon...

Consider this: Xenium Reactors give of large amount of energy during normal use, ie 50 units of Xenium can let a large scout fly for an an extended period of time. Xenium is a "physical" knot of space-time. What happens when a Xenium reactor goes into overload? Massive explosion capable of knocking out alien composite walls and killing poor aliens...

(Note: based on how XCom simulated ufo damage, it kinds of makes sense that earth weapons can't really damage a ufo hull, but that extended impact/stresses can force the xenium reactor into overload, and if the aliens can contain it, they land inone piece and try to fix the reactor, and if they don't, they crash and the reactor overloads and blows)

Inorder for the *ahem* fusion ball to manuveur like it does, it pretty much has to have a large(for it's size) Xenium reactor right? Why bother with a warhead when the engine itself is as good as one? When the bomb(I still say it's a rocket) detects that it's going to impact something, the onboard reactor goes into a feedback loop, generating massive amount energy as well as a rapidly destabilizing space-time knot, and then goes into a spectacular *BOOM*!

As for the dimensional gravity well vs. black hole thing, Stephan Hawkings (I think it was him, might've benn Feynmann) once compared the two similarly, almost as synonyms.  But if you're really troubled by it, I'll change it.

They're close, but not that similar.

A black hole is an intense gravity well, but it's intensity requires that escape velocity to be higher than light speed. Escape velocity is the minimum velocity an object must initially have in order to continously get further from a gravity well. For Earth is several kilometres per second (google knows the exact value).

For this weapon the gravity well must be just strong enough to mentain the plasma ball small enough till it's reaching the target.

Now that I think of, even just that gravity well will be strong enough to knock a target really hard, plasma is just the icing on the cake.

P.S. How about when xenium 122 is gradually unknotting inside the plasma is maintaining a steady intense gravitational well long enough for a blast, but that well disperses soon after all the xenium is gone?

I'm thinking also of negative space, in which plasma concentrates rather than dispersing, at least at first :wacko:

Edited by dan2

As for the dimensional gravity well vs. black hole thing, Stephan Hawkings (I think it was him, might've benn Feynmann) once compared the two similarly, almost as synonyms.  But if you're really troubled by it, I'll change it.

They're close, but not that similar.

A black hole is an intense gravity well, but it's intensity requires that escape velocity to be higher than light speed. Escape velocity is the minimum velocity an object must initially have in order to continously get further from a gravity well. For Earth is several kilometres per second (google knows the exact value).

For this weapon the gravity well must be just strong enough to mentain the plasma ball small enough till it's reaching the target.

Now that I think of, even just that gravity well will be strong enough to knock a target really hard, plasma is just the icing on the cake.

P.S. How about when xenium 122 is gradually unknotting inside the plasma is maintaining a steady intense gravitational well long enough for a blast, but that well disperses soon after all the xenium is gone?

I'm thinking also of negative space, in which plasma concentrates rather than dispersing, at least at first :wacko:

:huh?: Are you talking about plasma weapons or are you talking about the (so-call) fusion bomb? If it's the first, it's prolly in the wrong thread, if it's the later, I don't quite see the need as we are talking about something that's like a missle powered by a xenium reactor. I'm trying to campaign for a overloading xenium reactor which would prolly provide a spectacularly destructive explosion. The intense gravity waves and weird space-time bending that would occur from such an event would only be the icing on the cake...

AFAIK, that means that there wouldn't be a need for gravity fields to contain plasma(from where? :huh?: ) so...

• 1 month later...

Can you say. . .buried?

tzuchan:

Nice idea, but this is the pinnicle of alien destructive technology, it can't just be a remote-controlled kamikaze ufo. It has to be something that would take ages for mankind to think of, even with access to Xenium. Besides, this might get the sound crew started on a really nice "BOOM!" :P

The overloaded Xenium Reactor could be a lead. . .maybe the Xenium reactor surrounds a small container of compressed matter just above critical mass, when the reactor blows, critical mass is breached, creating a gravity warp?

I'm not going to re-write the entire CTD until I get an opinion about my latest idea, gimme some feedback.

dan2:

IIRC, I didn't mention plasma anywhere here. Plasma shouldn't play any part in this weapons, unless I missed that thread.

when the reactor blows, critical mass is breached, creating a gravity warp?

Actually I don´t like the Idea of a gravity warp on earth very much... Plus this would be a lot of programming if you want to do it nicely... can´t we just let it blow? Or maybe a wave of nanometer sized ultraheavy (so that they keep "on track") antimatter particles...THAT would be devastating... of course we would need to shield them for a few msec while they are flying, otherwise they would just collide with normal matter (such creating a massive energy blast) after a few µm... But that might be possible if a massive magnetic field would be created for a short time...

Hey, welcome back, Mad! It's been a while. :)

Unfortunately, the blaster bomb/launcher has been voted on, and the final name has been selected: Gravity Distortion Launcher / Gravity Distortion Drone. So, gravity should play some role in the weapon's function.

Tsereve: I like the idea of an overloaded mini-Xenium Reactor causing a distortion of gravity; it could fit very well with Kikanaide's "gravitic property of Xenium" that is mentioned in his plasma texts (see his Plasma Cannon CT for example).

Hey, welcome back, Mad!  It's been a while. :)

Yea, and I´m afraid it will be a while again.... Sorry everyone! I´m prepairing for my final exams now (which will be in June) so I´m quite busy... :(

Unfortunately, the blaster bomb/launcher has been voted on, and the final name has been selected: Gravity Distortion Launcher / Gravity Distortion Drone.  So, gravity should play some role in the weapon's function.

right... I forgot. Sorry again... :Brickwall:

buut... *actually_liking_the_idea_of_antimatter_anhilating_everything_in_its_way_very_mu

h* maybe the antimatter particles (of course created by the xenium reactor overload) could some kind of "surf" on the gravity (or maybe anti-gravity) wave... :D Just an idea....

Edited by Mad

As alien ships grow more numerous and powerful, our technicians are pressed to find more efficient and effective methods of defending our bases. The consequences of one of these structures being discovered is too great to risk, as our forces would be quickly annihilated by the swarms of alien invaders. Unfortunately, this possibility grows greater each day, as more UFOs cloud our atmosphere. While examining alien Gravity Distortion Drone technology, they have at last found a solution to this enigma.

The Gravity Distortion Defensive Module[?] is the pinnicle of structural protection technology. Utilizing high-energy gravitational warps and Xenium reactor particle expulsion, this weapon is capable of blasting through the hulls of the toughest ships. Even the dreaded alien [battleships] can be brought down with these lethal tools.

The Gravity Distortion Defensive Module[?] operates mainly on a small yet powerful Xenium reactor. This device serves as its propulsion, powers its navigation, and provides the force needed to initiate its destructive energy. When this projectile is fired, it ties in directly to the gunner's mind, instantly locking on to the first target it finds in his or her's subconscious. Having found a target, it immediately blasts out of a silo reinforced with alien composites[?] and heads towards the target craft. The immense propulsion force generated by the Xenium reactor allows the Gravity Distortion Drone to change direction almost instantly, granting unparalleled accuracy. The Xenium reactor itself is spherical, surrounding a small amount of alien composites[?] compressed to just outside the point at which it which warp into a miniature black hole. Upon impact, the reactor is driven into overload, causing it to explode and further compress the matter incased within it. This matter is then pushed pass critical mass, and grows dense enough to form a gravitational warp. In the same instant as the formation of this warp, scattered Xenium particles from the reactor issue forth, atomizing all matter within a medium radius. As the warp gains a hold on these particles, they are sucked back across the destroyed surroundings at near-light speed, splitting the atoms further, which can occassionally result in a nuclear reaction to further the damage. The miniature black hole then proceeds to draw everything in its proximity into a space-time curvature, before exhausting it's energy and dissapating(sp?). The mass gathered within the warp is then expulsed at the same speed at which it was absorbed, decimated any remaining matter in the area.

Although this weapon is capable of unparalleled damage, it does have several downsides. Because it targets the first thing it finds in its user's mind, it has a tendancy to get confused and refuse to target anything, resulting in it firing in a straight line and missing altogether. It also places significant mental strain on the gunner, meaning too many shots with it in a short amount of time may cause the user to pass out, or even die. Still, if used properly, the Gravity Distortion Defensive Module[?] will be a valuable asset in our fight against the alien menace.

--------------------------------

Sorry for the bracketed stuff, too lazy to find the current names, plus I'm tired. . .

Sorry... I don’t have time to proofread it, but I like most of it. Actually there is only one thing, which bothers me: black holes don’t collapse. Once established they stay. Plus it’s a pretty bad idea to establish such a thing on a planet... or in a solar system you want to keep running for the next few years... (Ok.. maybe a little exaggerated, but you get the point...) So, what can we use instead? Maybe the Aliens found a way to create gravitons (although their existence is still unproven by earths scientists...) with the energy from the xenium reactor meltdown... this might be easier to control than a black hole...

Guest Azrael

Two things for now: Blackholes is not a good idea, doesn't sound plausible and the hole would possibly cause much more effects than those you described, for instance the blackhole is so powerful that it draws even light to it, even a miniature one, to be a black hole would have to have such a power, and it's probably not a good idea to create one on our planet's atmosphere or even proximity.

Second, Xenium reactor sounds just odd, you could say the missile (or bomb, or ball or whatever) posseses something that can be comparated to a Xenium reactor, but throwing Xenium Reactors at the Alien sounds like an improvised solution of the X-Corps when they've run out of weapons instead of a super-advanced missile.

Yeah, black hole probably wasn't a great idea, it's really a gravity warp. But saying "the warp" and "the gravitational warp" just sounds repetative, and I'm never gonna spell "anolamy" or "anomely" or whatever it is correctly. So if anyone knows some other synonyms for this, I'm all ears.

True, a black hole wouldn't "burn out". But this is an artifically generated gravitational warp. Vast amounts of energy would be required to maintain the density of the matter, and the energy form the blown reactor would dissappate within seconds. Then, the matter would be blown out of the gravity warp, as stated in the above text.

So if I understand what you're saying, it's not really a black hole, right? In other words, it's a brief, but incredibly powerful gravitic pulse (a momentary distortion in the gravitational field). If this is the case, you wouldn't have to explain why the nearby ground/trees/buildings don't get sucked into the blast.

Azrael: regarding the "Xenium reactor"... I think it's mostly semantics. It doesn't have to exactly be a reactor (it could be a missile or bomb), but perhaps its method of operation shares many characteristics with the reactor technology-- suitably modified to be a weapon, of course. I dunno, I'm just brainstorming. You're right that Aliens throwing reactors at X-Corps soldiers does sound rather odd, though. :P

Edit- it's "anomaly", by the way. :)

Edited by Astyanax

Guest Azrael
Yeah, black hole probably wasn't a great idea, it's really a gravity warp.  But saying "the warp" and "the gravitational warp" just sounds repetative, and I'm never gonna spell "anolamy" or "anomely" or whatever it is correctly.  So if anyone knows some other synonyms for this, I'm all ears.

True, a black hole wouldn't "burn out".  But this is an artifically generated gravitational warp.  Vast amounts of energy would be required to maintain the density of the matter, and the energy form the blown reactor would dissappate within seconds.  Then, the matter would be blown out of the gravity warp, as stated in the above text.

*sees Astyanax posting ALREADY* Get back, NO, GET BACK!

The word is anomaly :D, how about gravity well? besides distortion, that sounds cool.

edit: dammit you beat me :D, anyway, semantics or not, if you say "xenium reactor" it is exactly a xenium reactor, this is a scientific report that tries to be as specific as possible.

Edited by Azrael

Muahahaha! Threads... you can run, but you can't hide! ;)

Anyway... dang it Az, you beat me to "anomaly" :P

Other words synonymous with "gravity warp"? Hm... maybe "a gravitational aberration generated by the harmonic amplification of gravitic waves through Xenium catalysis." Just kidding. How about a "brief gravitic pulse" or "sudden gravitational impulse", "near-instantaneous gravitic oscillation", "powerful gravitational distortion", or "violent gravitational fluctuation"?

Edit- regarding the Xenium reactor... maybe the scientific report can liken it to a Xenium reactor without actually calling it as such?

Edit #2- We always seem to simul-post, don't we, Az? LOL

Edited by Astyanax

Guest Azrael

Oooh, "Gravitic Pulse" I like how that sounds, very sci-fic and cool!

edit: Stop posting before me! :Brickwall: *struggles with Astyanax, trying to keep him away from the "add reply" button*

Edited by Azrael

*grabs an Anti-Astyanax gun*

Here ya go, Az! :D

Gravitational Pulse does sound cool, as well as most of your other synonyms. I gtg in 5 minutes, I'll write the next draft this evening (aka in like 6 hours-ish)

• 1 month later...

OK, so it was a bit longer than 6 hours. Sue me. Or rather don't. :P

Anyway, I noticed we don't yet have a name for this module, so I'm gonna refer to it as a Gravity Distortion Defense, after the new names for the Blaster Launcher and Blaster Bomb.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the horde of alien ships grows more numerous and powerful, our technicians are hard-pressed to find more efficient and effective methods of defending our bases. The consequences of one of these structures being discovered is too great to risk, as our forces would be quickly annihilated by the swarms of alien invaders. Unfortunately, the possibility of such an occurance grows greater each day, as more UFOs cloud our atmosphere. While examining alien Gravity Distortion Drone technology, our R&D team has at last found a solution to this enigma.

The Gravity Distortion Defensive Module is the pinnicle of structural protection technology. Utilizing high-energy gravitational warps and Xenium reactor particle expulsion, this weapon is capable of blasting through the hulls of the toughest ships. Even the dreaded alien Juggernauts can be brought down with these lethal tools.

The Gravity Distortion Defensive Module operates mainly on a small yet powerful Xenium reactor. This device serves as its propulsion, powers its navigational system, and provides the force needed to unleash its destructive energy. When this projectile is fired, it ties in directly to the gunner's mind, instantly locking on to the first target it finds in his or her's subconscious. Having found a target, it immediately blasts out of a silo reinforced with alien composites and heads towards the target craft. The immense propulsion force generated by the Xenium reactor allows the Gravity Distortion Drone to change directions almost instantly, granting unparalleled accuracy. The structure of Xenium reactor itself is that of a hollowed sphere, containing a small amount of alien composites compressed to just above critical mass. Upon impact, the and propulsion system stops, and its energy is redirected back into the Xenium reactor. With this extra power, the reactor is driven into overload, causing it to explode and further compress the matter incased within it. This matter is then pushed into critical mass, and grows dense enough to form a gravitational warp. In the same instant as the formation of this warp, scattered Xenium particles from the reactor issue forth, atomizing all matter within a medium radius. As the warp gains a hold on these particles, they are sucked back across the destroyed surroundings at near-light speed, splitting the atoms further. The gravatational pulse then proceeds to draw everything in its proximity into a pocket in the space-time curvature, before exhausting it's energy and dissiepating. The mass gathered within the fold in the continuum is then expulsed at the same speed at which it was absorbed, decimating any remaining matter in the area. This gravatational pulse's undulation, expelling the particles, drawing them back in, and then firing them out once more is capable of turning any known substance into so many free-floating particles.

Although this weapon is capable of unparalleled damage, it does have several downsides. Because it targets the first thing it finds in its user's mind, it has a tendancy to get confused and refuse to target anything, resulting in it firing in a straight line and missing altogether. It also places significant mental strain on the gunner, meaning too many shots with it in a short amount of time may cause the user to pass out, or even die. Still, if used properly, the Gravity Distortion Defensive Module has the potential to be an invaluable asset in our fight against the alien menace.

alright guys, i've got this one, just wait to tomarrow, i need to go at least one night without getting less than 7.5 hours of sleep :Hyper:

As the horde of alien ships grows more numerous and powerful, our technicians are hard-pressed to find more efficient and effective methods of defending our bases. The consequences of one of these structures being discovered is too great to risk, as our forces would be quickly annihilated by the swarms of alien invaders. Unfortunately, the possibility of such an occurrence grows greater each day, as more UFOs cloud our atmosphere. While examining alien Gravity Distortion Drone technology, our R&D team has at last found a solution to this enigma.

The Gravity Distortion Defensive Module is the pinnacle of structural protection technology. Utilizing high-energy gravitational warps and Xenium reactor particle expulsion, this weapon is capable of blasting through the hulls of the toughest ships. Even the dreaded alien Juggernauts can be brought down with these lethal tools.

The Gravity Distortion Defensive Module operates mainly on a small yet powerful Xenium reactor. This device serves as its propulsion, powers its navigational system, and provides the force needed to unleash its destructive energy. When this projectile is fired, it ties in directly to the gunner's mind, instantly locking on to the first target it finds in his or her subconscious. Having found a target, it immediately blasts out of a silo reinforced with alien composites and heads towards the target craft. The immense propulsion force generated by the Xenium reactor allows the Gravity Distortion Drone to change directions almost instantly, granting unparalleled accuracy. The structure of Xenium reactor itself is that of a hollowed sphere, containing a small amount of alien composites compressed to just above critical mass. Upon impact, the end propulsion system stops, and its energy is redirected back into the Xenium reactor. With this extra power, the reactor is driven into overload, causing it to explode and further compress the matter incased within it. This matter is then pushed into critical mass, and grows dense enough to form a gravitational warp. In the same instant as the formation of this warp, scattered Xenium particles from the reactor issue forth, atomizing all matter within a medium radius. As the warp gains a hold on these particles, they are sucked back across the destroyed surroundings at near-light speed, splitting the atoms further. The gravitational pulse then proceeds to draw everything in its proximity into a pocket in the space-time curvature, before exhausting it's energy and dissipating. The mass gathered within the fold in the continuum is then expulsed at the same speed at which it was absorbed, decimating any remaining matter in the area. This gravitational pulse's undulation, expelling the particles, drawing them back in, and then firing them out once more is capable of turning any known substance into so many free-floating particles.

I don’t like the superdense matter core idea. To move anything at near light speed would take something near a Black Hole’s density, and a Black Hole would not just go away. Unless the particles making up the nucleus are reppellent to themselves, it would hold itself together, and a black hole in the middle of a battlefield is a potential problem. However, if you somehow got energy that could cause the space time continuum to warp and then whip back into shape I can see that working, but what this energy is could be a problem. It also seems that something this powerful would have to be extremely tiny or it would be so incredibly powerful that it would probably be more powerful than you would need to destroy the ship.

Although this weapon is capable of unparalleled damage, it does have several downsides. Because it targets the first thing it finds in its user's mind, it has a tendency to get confused and refuse to target anything, resulting in it firing in a straight line and missing altogether. It also places significant mental strain on the gunner, meaning too many shots with it in a short amount of time may cause the user to pass out, or even die. Still, if used properly, the Gravity Distortion Defensive Module has the potential to be an invaluable asset in our fight against the alien menace.

You did what I wanted a little bit, but I still think that you should say that any inexperienced gunner is fully capable of being inable to operate the weapon, as although humans can think at near light speed, the reaction cannot, and only a gunner can compensate. Please put that in in at least one place please :)

alright, i had to take about 10 minutes, please look at my commentary, the first sections comments may be too drastic to be used though, i wish i had brought that up on the first blaster bomb equivalents CTD.... sorry guys, i failed you

I'll remember that for the next draft. . .

Yes, something like that would need near a black hole's density. Emphasis on "near." Since it's not quite at a black hole's density, it won't continue sucking up stuff indefinately, and will thus dissipate if not given extra energy. So, if an alien UFO defies the game mechanics and fires a plasma burst or explosion at the exact instant of the explosion, then we're in trouble. :P

well, if near light speed is 1/4. then that would work... But remember, neutron stars are exactly .5 density of a black hole, and they have more than enough gravity to hold themselves together. at one point, they have the density to hold themselves together, and added energy from gas being sucked in would make it extremely explosive and dangerous(nothing on battlefield would live through it, think instant incineration)

Tempting though that it, it probably wouldn't flow with the game mechanics. Oh well. btw, this is a base defense module, not the hand weapon.

And besides, the sudden influx of particles will consume energy at a profuse rate. It'll start being evened out. Imagine the space-time continuum as a large sheet of cloth (yeah, I know, real original). When the gravity pulse actives, the energy "pinches" part of the cloth inwards (or out, whatever, to the side). So, the surrounding area of cloth moves in closer to partially fill in the "gap." Go on, try it. Now, the amount of cloth that will move in to "fill" the "gap" is directly related to the energy used to pinch the cloth outwards. Because there is limited energy used here, limited material will be pulled inwards towards the "gap." Thus, back to the Gravity Distortion Defensive Module, a limited amount of matter will be pulled into the flux.

So the energy creates the distortion? Okay, that works.. i prefer the 3D model of space, where an object draws everything nearby into an hourglass shape :)

Guest Azrael

Couple of quick comments, I'll take a closer look when I have more time.

- The facility does not require a Xenium Reactor to be built (IIRC), but, since we may introduce several changes in Xenocide to correct X-Com's faults, leave it like this, but beware that it could change in the future.

- Don't use the word "pinnacle", as better defense modules could be built, the scientists don't know that this is the LAST one (and technically, it isn't, it only is within the boundaries of the game).

- Don't call the missiles (or whatever) Gravity Drones, as those are the names of the blaster bombs, these, although similar, are not the same.

- Please use the name "Gravity Defense Array"

- Launching Xenium Reactors at the Aliens doesn't seem too... cool, it looks like it is an improvised defense instead of a technical advancement ("We ran out of missiles! load that old Reactor we got back there!")

I'm assuming that this is the thread for the "fusion missle defence"? if yes, I have to mention that the name Gravity Defense Array brings more to mind grav-shield facility than anything else.

Also, I've read in some articles that a short lived black hole will result in a huge release of energy when it decays. I seem to recall that it was because a decaying black hole would release anti-matter.

Edited by tzuchan

actually, the energy would have to be special or fuel some kind of gravitational distortion device, because how can something with no mass(photons) warp space time?

Guest Azrael
I'm assuming that this is the thread for the "fusion missle defence"? if yes, I have to mention that the name Gravity Defense Array brings more to mind grav-shield facility than anything else.

Completely agree :) how's "Distortion Defense Array"?

Sounds better and more informative. I thought the same thing as tzuchan. Here I was reading about gravity (in specific pulling) when I thought I was reading about the grav repulsor defense! :rolleyes:

Azrael:

-Ok then. . .

-Good point. . .although I think the Security Station of Apoc was quite a downgrade. . .wish I could unleash some fusion balls on those cultists :devillaugh:

-What shall I use, then?

-Gotcha.

-It's not launching a Xenium Reactor. It's launching a projectile powered by and loaded with a Xenium Reactor. It's the same principle as the plasma weaponry (I think. . .). The Xenium Reactor powers a reaction which causes the damage. It's not the reactor that actually does the damage, it only does a minute part directly. Most of the devastation is caused by the warping of the matter incased on the reactor. You're launching a projectile. It just happens to contain a Xenium Reactor. By your arguement, modern guided missiles run on the principle of throwing fuel at your foe.

tzuchen:

Yes.

Ok.

And how is that bad? It's those infernal Cloaks that're getting it :wink1:

blehm:

Huh? What's going to have no matter now?

Exo2000:

LOL

alright tsereve, sorry about the photons, those have nothing to do with this

how can energy from this dimension cause a gravitational warp? Only physical things can warp space, and since energy is not physical, how can it warp space? so the energy would have to either be from another universe or dimension or it would have to fuel some reactor that warps space. Is that more understandable?:)

-It's not launching a Xenium Reactor.  It's launching a projectile powered by and loaded with a Xenium Reactor.  It's the same principle as the plasma weaponry (I think. . .).  The Xenium Reactor powers a reaction which causes the damage.  It's not the reactor that actually does the damage, it only does a minute part directly.  Most of the devastation is caused by the warping of the matter incased on the reactor.

The energy is the initiator of the change in mass which in turn creates the warp. The energy is also created as a byproduct of the warp. But it's the matter incase within the reactor which actually creates the warp. The energy merely blows it inwards, causing it to warp.

No, the Kinetic energy can cause a massive wave which causes mass in one part to move to another part very quickly, which would result in a small distortion, but i don't think that anything that will work on this chart will leave much left on earth

. . . . . .the sudden influx of particles will consume energy at a profuse rate.  It'll start being evened out.  Imagine the space-time continuum as a large sheet of cloth (yeah, I know, real original).  When the gravity pulse actives, the energy "pinches" part of the cloth inwards (or out, whatever, to the side).  So, the surrounding area of cloth moves in closer to partially fill in the "gap."  Go on, try it.  Now, the amount of cloth that will move in to "fill" the "gap" is directly related to the energy used to pinch the cloth outwards.  Because there is limited energy used here, limited material will be pulled inwards towards the "gap."  Thus, back to the Gravity Distortion Defensive Module, a limited amount of matter will be pulled into the flux.

Meaning that because there will be limited energy and limited matter pulled in, the Earth will survive. And if it doesn't, I suppose that's just a casualty of war. :P

Guest Azrael
It just happens to contain a Xenium Reactor.  By your arguement, modern guided missiles run on the principle of throwing fuel at your foe.

It's not by my argument, by the way you've phrased it, it strongly suggests that (obviously silly) idea. Also, Missiles containing Xenium Reactor? that doesn't sound correct. Why don't you take Tzuchan's text's idea and make it a larger and more powerful version of it? (since it's basically that). A fairly simple explanation is that having an entire facility devoted to it, it is possible to create a much larger effect.

I've edited the text to reflect the new name chosen by members.

The Fusion Implosion Rocket, commonly known as "Fusion-Bomb" is fired from the Fusion Bomb Launcher. It is a guided missile with a warhead that generates a mini-black hole and is capable of being guided in maneuvers currently unmatched by any earth-based missiles. It is the ultimate weapon in the alien's arsenal.

The Fusion Rocket is basically a Xenium-122 power source with devices to control the magnetic fields necessary for the direction of the gravity waves. The entire device is covered with alien alloy that protects the internal mechanism. Upon being ejected from the launcher through the use of super-conducting magnets, the gravity drive first negates the effect of gravity on the rocket, and then uses intense gravitic pulses to change directions. The rocket is capable of changing directions on a dime at speeds of up to 100 meters per second. The rocket can only withstand the forces required for this type of maneuvers by the use of alien alloys in its construction.

The bomb uses a proximity sensor and upon sensing that it is within 10mm of any surface, initiates the gravitic implosion. The Xenium-122 power source is specially designed to destabilize the Xenium-122. When this occurs, Xenium-122 decays quickly, and in the process of doing so, creates a miniature black hole that lasts for 1/100th of a second.

Having reverse engineered the alien rocket, we are now capable of producing it ourselves and face the alien threat with their own weapon of mass destruction.

Well then, I'd have to revert back to the mini-black hole idea (with modifications) that you guys discarded a while ago.

Edit: Yeah, The Master Maniac has a newer version. But your exact words were "Tzuchan's text's idea" and The Master Maniac's CT was a rewrite, while Breunor's was an edit.

Edited by Tsereve

It just happens to contain a Xenium Reactor.  By your arguement, modern guided missiles run on the principle of throwing fuel at your foe.

It's not by my argument, by the way you've phrased it, it strongly suggests that (obviously silly) idea. Also, Missiles containing Xenium Reactor? that doesn't sound correct. Why don't you take Tzuchan's text's idea and make it a larger and more powerful version of it? (since it's basically that). A fairly simple explanation is that having an entire facility devoted to it, it is possible to create a much larger effect.

Well...... Tsereve is right in the sense that there is(or imho, should be) a smaller version of the xenium reactor in the missles. However, he's also somewhat incorrect because the xenium reactor in the missle has to be designed to overload in the most destructive possible manner. You can't just put a Xenium reactor into a container with some guidance system and expect to get the maximum potential damaging source.

No, the Kinetic energy can cause a massive wave which causes mass in one part to move to another part very quickly, which would result in a small distortion, but i don't think that anything that will work on this chart will leave much left on earth

Although black holes seem to be of similar size relative to our scale, they are NOT all created equal. Black holes vary greatly in power. Remember that the awesome gravity of a neutron star is because there is a HUGE amount of matter inside it. Way, WAY more matter than you could even find in all of Earth's solar system. You can't even begin to make a dangerous, self-sustaining black hole until you collapse our sun. Maybe not even then. To begin with, there simply won't be enough matter to hold all the material together. Secondly, it won't be large enough to find any sources of matter to sustain itself. It might be able to live if the black hole devoured Jupiter, but the victory would be short-lived. The "black holes" X-Corps is dealing with are orders of magnitude away from that relatively small scale.

"But the spot of gravity must be huge! Just look at how ginormous Earth's gravity is, and it's only 1G!"

Earth's gravity is caused by trillions upon trillions of tons of matter working together, spread over thousands of miles of space. Gravity decreases as a square of the distance. That means you are not getting as much gravity from the other side of the world, as you are your local surroundings. It's fair to say that the majority of the 1G you feel, is coming from matter just several hundreds of miles around you. The rest of the matter is farther away, and isn't doing as much. However, all the little bits of gravity add up, and give us the total weight that we feel. Overall, Earth has a very nice chunk of gravity, but it is divided across so much space that it is a rather weak force.

The gravity distortion from the explosion is not a light tug of gravity spread across thousands of miles of space. It's a super concentrated blast, localized in a tiny dot. It can't even hope to reach the total gravity value of Earth, but it remains destructive because of how concentrated the force is. With that kind of force it can do considerable destruction, but anyone far enough away won't notice it.

The gravity distortion weapon here is NOT a planet-sucking cataclysmic-all-destructive force. It is a deep pinprick in spacetime caused by the action of Xenium, and ends when the Xenium can no longer create it. Any nearby matter will be sucked in of course, that's what it's made to do. People nearby might feel a little off-balance for a second, and nearby buildings may suffer damage similar to a small earthquake. But it won't be anywhere near enough to counter earth's gravity at that distance, and the explosion is happening high in the air, so people and buildings will likely not be nearby to witness it. I can't say the same for the aliens inside, though.