#1 Devatar

Devatar

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 05:06 AM

Wow. :o

This would undoubtedly be the biggest competition for xenocide. (not that it's a competition, and not that there would be many competitors. I'm just flakey, aren't I?)

If they get to finish it, that is.

The game has great concept, but it may all be too ambitious for an open source project. But well, who knows, these guys might just pull it off.

Best of luck to the EDF team! :beer:
Love is crap, made up by sick people to torture others.

#2 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 06:38 AM

From what I read of it, they've kind of ground to a halt or are close to it. Which is a shame as some of the ideas they had were pretty cool.

#3 Devatar

Devatar

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 06:06 AM

Yeah, they weren't afraid to change the core rules of the game.
Love is crap, made up by sick people to torture others.

#4 Aosar

Aosar

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 10:57 AM

Yeah, it would be a shame if it will be cancelled. Then again, they have set their goals pretty darn high...
-Aosar
-------------------------
Pardon the engrish,
I'm Finnish...
"No Worries!"

#5 GreatGold

GreatGold

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 852 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 08:57 PM

Hey -

Last I heard, a few of their devlopment staff jumped ship and went over to Talon. I don't know how high-up the chain they were though. Otherwise, I haven't seen ANY activity.

Gold
---
Rule #33:
Celatid venom is a paralytic nerve toxin, not 'happy juice".

---
Posted Image

#6 Micah

Micah

Colonel

• [[Administrators]]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:35 AM

Yep, I believe that at least the lead Talon developer was a defector from EDF.

#7 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 11:21 AM

So now we need to start breaking up that group, and try to pull the members into our fold, bwahaha! Soon the X-Com world will be ours! Muah ha ha!!! :devillaugh:

#8 LordT

LordT

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 12:40 PM

Is it really good to say these things in an all out open forum?
We don't want people to get mad at us :/
Take your time and submit a name to the Names Database.

Resistance is futile! (if < 1 ohm)

#9 GreatGold

GreatGold

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 852 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 01:27 PM

Hey -

To anyone reading this, Bruener is clearly joking. We have done nothing, other than be the best crew, that has hindered any other project. In fact, I am not even aware of any EDF people that are now working on Xenocide.

Gold
---
Rule #33:
Celatid venom is a paralytic nerve toxin, not 'happy juice".

---
Posted Image

#10 Guest_Jim69_*

Guest_Jim69_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2003 - 05:14 PM

Not that I am sayin we should poach ne1, but if it is true that they have stopped, shouldn't someone invite them for a kinda merger? Some of their ideas on AI were clearly good and they seemed to have some good ideas. Again, I'm not sayin poach some guys, more of an offer to the whole project to help this one if they actually have stopped.

#11 NickJones

NickJones

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 09:39 PM

LOL. you guys are TOO nice. EDF doesnt seem to be making ANY progress. They have great ideas, but ideas are worth little unless action is taken to acheive them. You dont give your selves enough credit. What you are doing is incrediable and should be looked upon as so. :rock:

#12 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 01:55 PM

Didn't EDF close down like, last year?
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#13 gbjbaanb

gbjbaanb

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 01:21 PM

lol. Yes, I am a 'defector' from EDF, but I'm not sure that term 100% describes what happened. when I was looking around at x-com games, I found EDF, and thought I'd offer my help to them - help which was pretty much roundly rejected (as I think, any help would have been).

So, I went and did it myself instead. Talon has ground to a halt for the last few months too, but I'm still around, and will (hopefully) get my finger out soon.

I have (quietly) suggested a merger, but I'm still playing with code and 3rd party libs (and real work in real life), so I 'm not sure what we could do that'd be really useful.
Certainly we could share code bits, and models, etc where needed. everything's OSS anyway, so we can't stop each other, but it might be nicer to work with each other on these kind of things.

anyway, ramble over. see ya.