XCOMUFO & Xenocide

XCom veteran playing again after many years

oldfan

The explosion occurs the minute your firing cycle stops (single shot, or auto shot), and if enough damage has been done to kill it. Not when you end the turn or when you take a step after it has fallen.

Sometimes the Cyberdisc doesn't explode. It's rare, but I think what's happened is that only enough damage was done to put it under the stun bar. This is a Good Thing™ - unless you were aiming to knock out some nearby walls or aliens at the same time!

If you do take a step after knocking down a Cyberdisc safely and you get a violent explosion, then something has glitched and turned a very powerful explosive into a live proximity mine. Not something generally associated with the Cyberdisc, but more related to having unspent proximity mines at the end of the missions. (it's a Collectors Edition bug). Rather nasty to have a blaster bomb turned into a live mine!

- NKF

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The explosion occurs the minute your firing cycle stops (single shot, or auto shot), and if enough damage has been done to kill it. Not when you end the turn or when you take a step after it has fallen.

Sometimes the Cyberdisc doesn't explode. It's rare, but I think what's happened is that only enough damage was done to put it under the stun bar. This is a Good Thing - unless you were aiming to knock out some nearby walls or aliens at the same time!

If you do take a step after knocking down a Cyberdisc safely and you get a violent explosion, then something has glitched and turned a very powerful explosive into a live proximity mine. Not something generally associated with the Cyberdisc, but more related to having unspent proximity mines at the end of the missions. (it's a Collectors Edition bug). Rather nasty to have a blaster bomb turned into a live mine!

- NKF

Thanks for confirming my fears. Then again, I doubt anybody would like to get up so close to a Cyberdisc to begin with. But things do happen.

Another Cyberdisc related question is how does one determine what direction is the Cyberdisc looking at (where is its rear and whether my movement will trigger reaction fire)?

Another Cyberdisc related question is how does one determine what direction is the Cyberdisc looking at (where is its rear and whether my movement will trigger reaction fire)?
You don't have complete information in-game.

* The slightly darker line is "sideways". The usual 90-degree field of vision does apply.

* I'm unaware of whether this has been tested, but I think line of sight and line of fire are calculated from the NW quadrant regardless of facing.

The north west quadrant (the topmost section in the iso view)is the core for all large units. The rest just hang on to it.

Without using guesswork, or if you saw which direction it was heading during the aliens' turn, there's no easy way to tell you exactly which way they are facing. One of their 'features', I guess. ;)

It's best to always assume that it may be facing you by default, so it's good practice to stand well clear of them and open fire at them from a distance.

- NKF

The north west quadrant (the topmost section in the iso view)is the core for all large units. The rest just hang on to it.

Without using guesswork, or if you saw which direction it was heading during the aliens' turn, there's no easy way to tell you exactly which way they are facing. One of their 'features', I guess. ;)

It's best to always assume that it may be facing you by default, so it's good practice to stand well clear of them and open fire at them from a distance.

- NKF

Aye. I think I did notice a line sometimes, but I was never able to determine with certainty. So far, I took the approach you suggested. Better be safe than sorry. The only thing is that sometimes in base defense the Cyberdisc passes those one tile doors you have somebody behind who has a high explosive charge ready to be thrown. But sometimes he needs to step outside the door to throw it. Oh well, maybe this is what mind probes are good for.

So in my recent new game my second terror mission was against sectoids. Against my better judement, I decided to give it a try. Out of my 10 troops and HWP, I had about five guys in personal armor and 3-4 laser rifles.

When I started the machine, there was a sectoid with its back to me. So my HWP blasted him with a rocket on the first turn (it was super close by and I was afraid it is going to shoot met when I end the turn).

First turn after unloading troops, I managed to kill a few nearby sectoids. However, somebody decided to throw an alien grenade OMG . One of my scouts (no personal armor) died and two others were injured (personal armor).

I noticed a Cyberdisc far away in a warehouse. I shot it lots of times with the laser rifle but it didn't die. Eventually I realized that there were lots of Cyberdiscs in there (I lost count of how many. At least six if not even more).

I think overall the machine had at least 8 cyberdiscs.

I figured this is a good chance to figure out who is a psi-weakling and usually there are quite a bit of boggeys near the LZ and I was hoping on taking out the leader (psi). I took him rather quickly and he ended up controlling a panicked weak scout of mine.

Two of my good troops died. One of them was stupid because I didn't keep my distance and there was an unexplored small warehouse nearby which had a sectoid who killed my troop (second shot as first one missed). After a while, I noticed that another soldier of mine far away just died. I have no idea how it happened unless some shot missed its target and ended up hitting him. I think that there is an actual bug in the game as I've seen something weird before. A sectoid fired and missed my HWP. Many turns later, all of the sudden one of my guys in a personal armor was reported to be unconscious. Weird, I thought to myself. Maybe smoke/incediary bug of some sort as I never recall him being hit. I loaded a few turns before (nothing major happened in between) and I noticed he is wounded. This reminded me of the fact that the missed shot at my HWP was en-route to my guy though I'm positive I never saw any hit nor heard any noise. This made me recall that I had a few times where missed shot is not "tracked/scrolled" thru the screen and on those occasions there was a soldier standing right near the screen "edge". Either there is a bug in the game or the screen flipped so quickly that nothing could be seen nor heard.

Anyway, this made me realize I broke Zombieland rule #17 - "Don't be a hero".

Next time, no more sectoid terror missions unless I have power armor.

Edited by oldfan

Sectoid terror eh?

Well, those are a simple binary choice.

Do you want to catch a leader?

If yes, it's worth the gamble. If not, then you run with your tail between your legs.

Rutting psychics.

Actually, I couldn't even if I wanted to - I don't have alien containment.

You see, with council funding only and range based accuracy, the game becomes significantly harder. Therefore I aim on first researching power armor and save all my money for that. Even if I do have an alien containment ($600,000 if I remember correctly) researching the necessary stuff and building a psi-lab is simply to expensive and I'd rather invest more in having enough troops, cash reserve, engineers (to start producing personal armor and enough laser weapons in a reasonably time), and a second strike team (also acting as garrison) in one of my bases.

I think that power armor is probably the most important tech in the game - now your troops actually have a good chance of surviving enemy fire and grenades (And also to filter out smoke - and I use plenty of smoke grenades).

• 2 weeks later...

Do you consider dropping weapons/grenades as a psi counter measure cheating?

On one hand, I think to myself, ah! This soldier knows he might harm others. So while he is in control, he/she takes the necessary steps to disarm themselves. On the other hand, I am taking advantage of the fact that I know that psi controlled soldiers cannot pick up items.

After lots of thinking, I decided to switch from sniper rifle to pistols early on the game. Decided that three aimed shots are pretty much like a sniper aimed shot (close enough though it'll take some time to get a 100% shot). I still let my scouts rifles in a urban terrain (barns, terror) just in case they encounter a threat at point blank range after opening a door. Major shortcoming is the 12 bullets per clip, of course. Decided to carry and extra 4-6 clips for my top soldiers just in case (and maybe more if it is a large scout).

The only downside is that I won't risk a shot when scout is very adjacent to line of fire. But I can reposition my shooter and still have 1-2 aimed shots, unlike a rifle.

After lots of thinking, I decided to switch from sniper rifle to pistols early on the game. Decided that three aimed shots are pretty much like a sniper aimed shot (close enough though it'll take some time to get a 100% shot). I still let my scouts rifles in a urban terrain (barns, terror) just in case they encounter a threat at point blank range after opening a door. Major shortcoming is the 12 bullets per clip, of course. Decided to carry and extra 4-6 clips for my top soldiers just in case (and maybe more if it is a large scout).

The only downside is that I won't risk a shot when scout is very adjacent to line of fire. But I can reposition my shooter and still have 1-2 aimed shots, unlike a rifle.

So, the long and short of it is that a pistol is a better sniping weapon than a sniper rifle, but it's not as good for close range bursts.

And these changes were for realism?

In real life, a greater number of trials does increase the chance of at least one shot hitting its mark compared to if you only had a small number of attempts. This is why automatic weapons are so effective.

The rifle is indeed better at hitting with aimed shots, and the higher the accuracy of the shooter, the better the odds. However it doesn't allow you as many attempts because of its enormously high TU consumption. This means that a failure with one aimed shot feels so much more significant than a failure with a snapshot. To mitigate that chance of wasting a lot of TUs on a missed shot, you obviously want someone that's highly skilled to attempt these shots.

The pistol on the other hand has a fast snapshot. The hit/miss and time unit losses are moderated. It's not greatly accurate, but a single miss won't cost you too much in terms of TUs. And since you get several attempts at it, you get to try your luck a few more times. Autoshots work on the same principal, but they get more attempts at less accuracy. They also force you to take all three shots, even if only the first shot was necessary.

Really, the Standard Pistol's forte lies in its snapshot. The Standard Rifle excels at aimed (when used by highly accurate soldiers) and autoshots (on anyone). Your choice in either weapon will depend on what you want the soldiers to do.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

In real life, a greater number of trials does increase the chance of at least one shot hitting its mark compared to if you only had a small number of attempts. This is why automatic weapons are so effective.

The rifle is indeed better at hitting with aimed shots, and the higher the accuracy of the shooter, the better the odds. However it doesn't allow you as many attempts because of its enormously high TU consumption. This means that a failure with one aimed shot feels so much more significant than a failure with a snapshot. To mitigate that chance of wasting a lot of TUs on a missed shot, you obviously want someone that's highly skilled to attempt these shots.

The pistol on the other hand has a fast snapshot. The hit/miss and time unit losses are moderated. It's not greatly accurate, but a single miss won't cost you too much in terms of TUs. And since you get several attempts at it, you get to try your luck a few more times. Autoshots work on the same principal, but they get more attempts at less accuracy. They also force you to take all three shots, even if only the first shot was necessary.

Really, the Standard Pistol's forte lies in its snapshot. The Standard Rifle excels at aimed (when used by highly accurate soldiers) and autoshots (on anyone). Your choice in either weapon will depend on what you want the soldiers to do.

- NKF

However, I play with ranged based accuracy and anything above 7 tiles for automatic or 14 tiles for snapshot will start having penalties to it. Also, last night I lost a super soldier who stepped out of the Skyranger. He used his pistol and hit a nearby sectoid (two tiles away) and suffered reaction fire from it. WTF

Had he had a rifle, I would have used autoshot and probably have been done with that sectoid.

:-(

It was actually very bad case - I had 4-5 sectoid near the ramp: two of them right by the ramp and two of them near the front wheels of the Skyranger. I'm thinking about either ditching the handguns or let my first four troops carry rifles, just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently made a reboot of my interest to X-Com and I began playing on Superhuman. It's surprisingly not as horrible as I thought. The only difference seems to be tougher aliens and heavy plasmas to drown in.

I'll just skip step 3 and jumping directly into PROFIT. I'm drowning in money. I don't know what to spend it on. D:

On another note, why does Cyberdisks take 5-6 shots from the Laser Rifle before it explodes, but only has to be looked upon angrily by a single shot from the Heavy Plasma to blow up into magic double-rainbow fireworks?

I feel discriminated by Alien technology.

Actually Cyberdisk is vulnerable to laser fire (if im correct).

If you dont know, X-Com has every weapon that shoots deal random from 0 to 2x damage. Armor is substracted from that damage.

Meaning, your soldier w/o armor can survive a heavy plasma shot with 0 damage but die from a pistol.

Cyberdisk must have a big armor, meaning, alot of shots from weaker weapons (weak medium damage) would deal just zero to them. Here, having two shots from a weapon that has X damage listed is much less than one shot from a weapon that has 2X damage listed. Thats why heavy lases are considered one of the best anti-cyberdisk weapons.

Since explosions deal 0.5 to 1.5 damage, they are kinda overpowered in the game, especially at the start (especially since they deal 4x damage to big units since each tile of it takes damage. especially since sectoids (and other aliens mostly) have very low hp (like your soldiers, low compared to damages of weapons in the game)

I recently made a reboot of my interest to X-Com and I began playing on Superhuman. It's surprisingly not as horrible as I thought. The only difference seems to be tougher aliens and heavy plasmas to drown in.

I'll just skip step 3 and jumping directly into PROFIT. I'm drowning in money. I don't know what to spend it on. D:

On another note, why does Cyberdisks take 5-6 shots from the Laser Rifle before it explodes, but only has to be looked upon angrily by a single shot from the Heavy Plasma to blow up into magic double-rainbow fireworks?

I feel discriminated by Alien technology.

Try playing with council funding only and/or ranged based accuracy. It is a different ball game.

I would say that with my current skills at the game, the ability to sell alien artifacts for cash or manufactured goods makes the game extremely easy.

Oldfan did you modified any of the ranged based accuracy values? I'm trying to play a game with similar settings as you (Council Fund only, Ranged based accurracy, stunfest and no aliens freakout messages) but my soldiers ain't hitting anything. I'm using rifles with snap shots and going through ton of clips and personel as I have to be very close to hit something.

Edit. Difficulty Superhuman and also the improved starting base setup, but with the standard facilities.

Edit 2. I've been doing better lately using a lot of ducking and moving much faster sacrificing reaction fire. I guess bigger ufos will be very hard.

Edit 3. I think I've got the early game now, NKF style: laser pistols and lotsa granades and smoke are working for sectoids, floaters and snakemen so far.

Edited by Kirill

Oldfan did you modified any of the ranged based accuracy values? I'm trying to play a game with similar settings as you (Council Fund only, Ranged based accurracy, stunfest and no aliens freakout messages) but my soldiers ain't hitting anything. I'm using rifles with snap shots and going through ton of clips and personel as I have to be very close to hit something.

Edit. Difficulty Superhuman and also the improved starting base setup, but with the standard facilities.

Edit 2. I've been doing better lately using a lot of ducking and moving much faster sacrificing reaction fire. I guess bigger ufos will be very hard.

Edit 3. I think I've got the early game now, NKF style: laser pistols and lotsa granades and smoke are working for sectoids, floaters and snakemen so far.

I restart the games more than a few times until I get some good soldiers. One should always strive on distancing himself from the enemy. Aimed shots by the sniper rifle pretty much exhaust your turn - anything which is not close by is very hard to hit by snapshot.

I can't seem to upload a text file. I have copied & pasted its content:

; UFO Extender - Mod for X-COM

; See <http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=User:Seb76> for more details.

; Copyright © 2008,2009 Seb76

;

; This file is part of UFO Extender.

;

; UFO Extender is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify

; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by

; the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or

; (at your option) any later version.

;

; UFO Extender is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

; but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of

; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the

; GNU General Public License for more details.

;

; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License

; along with UFO Extender. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

[Loader]

Executable=UFO Defense.exe

[Equipment Screen]

Show Stats=1

Weight=Weight>

Accuracy=Accur>

Reaction=React>

Psi Strength=P.Str>

Psi Skill=P.Skill>

Show Grenade State=1

Primed=primed

Save Equipment=0

Auto Flares=0

[Music]

Apply=1

Source=MP3

CD Drive=D

MP3 Folder=mp3

Battlescape=*Battlescape*.mp3

Start Menu=*Final Briefing*.mp3

Bad Ending=*Final Briefing*.mp3

Good Ending=*Dogfight*.mp3

Geoscape=*Geoscape*.mp3

Dogfight=*Dogfight*.mp3

Mission Debriefing=*Debriefing*.mp3

UFO Assault=*Briefing1.mp3

Base Defense=*Briefing2.mp3

Base Attack=*Briefing1.mp3

Mars=*Debriefing*.mp3

Terror Mission=*Briefing2.mp3

[Wreck Analysis]

Apply=0

Zone Discovered=Intel found out that the %s UFO was raiding %s

Mission Discovered=Inspection showed that the %s UFO was on an %s mission

Both Discovered=Ship investigation revealed that the %s UFO was on an %s mission in %s

[Roswell]

Apply=0

;Terrain names

Jungle=Jungle

Farm=Farm

Mountain=Mountain

Desert=Desert

Polar=Polar

;Dialog strings

Title=UFO Incident

Info=Crash reported

Location=LOCATION

Type=TYPE

Terrain=TERRAIN

[Range Based Accuracy]

Apply=1

Minimum Efficiency=10

Snap Penalty Distance=14

Auto Penalty Distance=7

Orange Cursor Threshold=95

Red Cursor Threshold=75

[Line Of Fire Check]

Mind Control=1

Panic=1

Mind Probe=1

[Craft Ready Message]

Apply=1

Title=Aircraft ready

Info=A craft has been refitted

[bug Fix]

Tactical Scroll=1

Pay For Dirt=1

Phantom Radar=1

Base Disjoint=1

Radar Stacking=1

Base Facility Dismantle-Construction Crash=1

Collectors Edition Blaster Bomb Bug=1

Video Pitch=1

Proximity Grenades=1

Proximity Grenades Experience=1

Transfered Crafts Refueled=1

Elerium-fueled Craft Bug=1

Displayed Base Maintenance Cost=1

Intro Sounds=1

Music Change Freeze=1

Door Jam=1

Personnel Overflow=1

Funky Fire=1

Hostile Civilians=1

Animations Speed=1

Crash On First Move=1

[Mod]

More Reaction Fire=0

Hot Grenades=0

Alien Inventory=0

Save Reserve Mode=1

Retaliate Against Ground Assault=1

Rank In Inventory=1

Skip Intro=1

No Blaster Bomb Drift=0

Manual Interception Fire Mode=1

Crafts Always Ready=1

Stunned units KIA=1

Keep Base Navigation Modules=1

Base Building Stacking=0

More Smoke=1

Force Language=1

Funding Council Income Only=1

Surrender Defence Missions=0

Disable Base Defenses=0

Initial Alien Bases=0

Heavy Laser=0

Stun Fest=1

Fast Base Defenses=0

Reorder Soldiers In Crafts=1

No Funkers=1

Bloodthirst=0

Limited Military=0

De-equip Crafts=1

TFTD Doors=1

Assign All Personnel=0

HQ4x=1

D3D=0

D3D Windowed=0

Always On Top=0

Clip Cursor=1

Scale Mouse=1

Screen Ratio=0.833333

No Auto Wake Up=0

Alien Bleeding=0

No Alien Freak Out Messages=1

Max FPS=0

CPU Mask=0

High Priority=0

General Store Capacity=0

Show Money=1

Auto Sell=0

Doubleclick Movement=1

[Hack]

No Score Game Over=0

Big Brother=0

Alien Pets=0

No Alien Psi=0

Directly Use Alien Weapons=0

Recover All Clips=0

Show All Locations=0

FPS=0

[initial Base]

Apply=0

row1=HangarTL HangarTR HangarTL HangarTR HangarTL HangarTR

row2=HangarBL HangarBR HangarBL HangarBR HangarBL HangarBR

row3=AccessLift Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty

row4=LivingQuarters GeneralStores SmallRadar Laboratory Workshop Empty

row5=Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty

row6=Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty

[Caps]

Apply=1

Time Units=80

Health=60

Strength=70

Energy=100

Reactions=100

Firing Accuracy=120

Melee Accuracy=120

Throwing Accuracy=120

Psi Skill=100

[battlescape Shortcuts]

Apply=0

End Turn=Return

Multilevel View=

Show Map=

Center On Unit=

Inventory=Space

Kneel=

Next Unit=Tab

Next Unit Skip Current=Back

View Up=Prior

View Down=Next

Go Up=Up

Go Down=Down

Left Menu=Left

Right Menu=Right

Unit Stats=

Options=Escape

Lift Off=

Reserve None=1

Reserve Snap=2

Reserve Auto=3

Reserve Aimed=4

[Geoscape Shortcuts]

Apply=0

Rotate Right=Right

Rotate Left=Left

Rotate Up=Up

Rotate Down=Down

Zoom In=MouseWheelUp

Zoom Out=MouseWheelDown

Geo Speed1=1

Geo Speed2=2

Geo Speed3=3

Geo Speed4=4

Geo Speed5=5

Geo Speed6=6

Intercept=MouseMiddle

Bases=B

Graphs=G

Ufopaedia=U

Options=Escape

Fundings=F

[OBDATA.DAT]

Apply=0

;Make grenades indestructible to allow stacking several explosions

Grenade Resistance=255

;Make HE packs capable of breaching UFO walls

High Explosive Damage=200

Heavy Plasma Weight=10

Edited by oldfan

• 5 weeks later...

After a while of not playing, I started a new game again. <_<

I am happy to inform I have mastered the use of hand guns.

First month I saw about eleven UFOs (only two small scouts) and almost downed a terror ship which was scouting (it dropped to interception speed for just about 1 - 1.5 hours. My second interceptor was just 30 minutes away).

Anyways, up until the 19th of January, I saw nice activity. Then, activity didn't happen for about 9 days. :(

Most annoying! Especially, since I monitor the activity graph religiously (every hour I take a glance).

Most UFOs landed (by intent) and 2-3 were blown out of the sky after reaching my pre-determined limit of scouting (don't want them to take off).

Luckily, on all crash landings, damage was minimal or non existent - had plenty of aliens to target practice and I got lots of elerium (about 300 - 400).

Anyways, to my annoyance, all of the aliens were pesky sectoids! How annoying!!! Even with hand guns, sectoid sometimes take only one hit to drop. I was really hoping for a nice target practice with floaters that can take much more damage.

Oh well.....

Anyways, I monitored the hits per solider and tried to distribute it so each will get at least three hits (to ensure at list an accuracy improvement by one point). My tactic is to have 4 super snipers that I always try to advance and then the rest - wanna have those which can eventually guarantee a hit.

So one of my best soldiers, started with a 70 accuracy. Look at him at the end of the first month - accuracy 87! Not bad, eh? (see attached image)

He actually got very lucky about 4-5 times, with a +3 increase in accuracy. I have some others which also went up by 10-15 points but they are in the neighborhood of 77 - 83 which is still pretty good. The handgun ensures quite a few hits and lower damage which translate into higher increases.

post-22883-1286166637_thumb.png

Edited by oldfan

• 3 weeks later...

I recently came to hate Sectoids. Reason being that because they are low of height, many times, they cannot be seen when standing near fences (wood and stone) by soldiers and especially by HWPs. Annoying!

I prefer Floaters, even though they may float. They are also bigger and easier to hit. And in the beginning, they make much better target practice for you troops and pesky Sectoids sometimes die from one pistol gunshot.

Arrrr....... =p

• 1 month later...

"Research Rollover" bug - I don't quite get it. What does "the new effort of the scientists you allocate is applied immediately" mean exactly? Is it an effort per day that is applied immediately?

Let's say that I have 50 scientists and a projects that would take them exactly 20 days to complete. If I select something further down the list than the previous researched technology, does this mean that a total of one day is automatically put into it and now I'll just have to wait 19 days?

P.S.

Just to be certain, the UFO extends does not fix this, right?

I'm not entirely sure on the technical details, but it either means two things:

It duplicates the effort that was done on the previous project and applies it immediately to the new one. You might have seen this happen when researching aliens, where you've interrogated one, start on another (further down the list, as per the article) one and then the project is completed instantly.

Or, the leftover points are applied to the new topic.

I suspect it's the latter case.

- NKF

"Research Rollover" bug - I don't quite get it. What does "the new effort of the scientists you allocate is applied immediately" mean exactly? Is it an effort per day that is applied immediately?
Yes.
Let's say that I have 50 scientists and a projects that would take them exactly 20 days to complete. If I select something further down the list than the previous researched technology, does this mean that a total of one day is automatically put into it and now I'll just have to wait 19 days?
Yes.

Basically, when a research item completes, research for all items before it in the list has already been applied, while research for all items after the list has not been applied. So, move the scientists from the projects at/before the completed project, to something later than the completed project. The research effort will also be applied to the new project.

P.S.

Just to be certain, the UFO extends does not fix this, right?

UFOExtender currently has no effect on this.

Example from my current game:

I have 100 Scienitists. Inveterate inspection of the save files indicates I have 100 scientist-days on both Motion Detector and UFO Navigation.

To trigger the Research Rollover Bug, I put 100 scientists on Motion Detector. When midnight comes around, Motion Detector completes. So, put the 100 Scientists on UFO Navigation. Well, *that* completes by Research Rollover. So I put 100 scientists on Flying Armor, and *that* research happens immediately by Research Rollover.

I just got three days of work out of the scientists. They are very inspired.

I have 100 Scienitists. Inveterate inspection of the save files indicates I have 100 scientist-days on both Motion Detector and UFO Navigation.

To trigger the Research Rollover Bug, I put 100 scientists on Motion Detector. When midnight comes around, Motion Detector completes. So, put the 100 Scientists on UFO Navigation. Well, *that* completes by Research Rollover. So I put 100 scientists on Flying Armor, and *that* research happens immediately by Research Rollover.

Mmmmmmmm.......... just to make sure I understand, it is not the cumulative work of the entire previous project, it is just the amount of work your X scientists will perform in a single day which is added to the research immediately (without waiting for midnight). Right?

Mmmmmmmm.......... just to make sure I understand, it is not the cumulative work of the entire previous project, it is just the amount of work your X scientists will perform in a single day which is added to the research immediately (without waiting for midnight). Right?

Yes, any scientists repositioned after the completed project get to research again, regardless of whether they've already researched or not.

Yes, any scientists repositioned after the completed project get to research again, regardless of whether they've already researched or not.

I guess if one wants to avoid this bug/feature, he can either not select an item for research immediately (going back to the geosacpe without choosing any research) and then going back to the research tab in the base view again? Or perhaps start research with zero scientists on all subjects and after research is complete, just pick one of the existing and fill it up with scientists?

I guess if one wants to avoid this bug/feature, he can either not select an item for research immediately (going back to the geosacpe without choosing any research) and then going back to the research tab in the base view again?
This will completely bypass the bug, yes.
Or perhaps start research with zero scientists on all subjects and after research is complete, just pick one of the existing and fill it up with scientists?
I'm a bit fuzzy on how to interpret this. Yes, reallocating scientists to projects before the completed one does not trip the bug either. (Of course, any scientists originally allocated to projects after the completed project, that are reallocated to projects before the completed project, are lethargic and do not do any research that day whatsoever).

I guess if one wants to avoid this bug/feature, he can either not select an item for research immediately (going back to the geosacpe without choosing any research) and then going back to the research tab in the base view again?
This will completely bypass the bug, yes.
Or perhaps start research with zero scientists on all subjects and after research is complete, just pick one of the existing and fill it up with scientists?
I'm a bit fuzzy on how to interpret this. Yes, reallocating scientists to projects before the completed one does not trip the bug either. (Of course, any scientists originally allocated to projects after the completed project, that are reallocated to projects before the completed project, are lethargic and do not do any research that day whatsoever).

Will try doing that. But I better not forget to assign research back. ^_^

• 6 months later...

I have 1000’s of hours on Hanggliders.

I’m a lifelong biker. I have lots of $.

I would rather be kayaking on the Yough.

Instead I’m babysitting my 85 year old father the rest of his or my life.

I’m 2 years in and bordering on zombie.

I recently made the mistake of buying Galactic Civ 1 & 2 only to find that some hose bag prick named Brad Wardell (Stardock) WTF made these games unplayable without an update 1st to get you to register the serial #, then to get his Impulse/ pop-up crap loaded on your putter.

After working 1000 hours a week until he was close to a breakdown unsuccessfully trying to make it work. He found a sucker to unload it on. (GameStop) The whole thing is one big buggy mess like every game this guy has put out. When you enter the serial # all you get is (Not a valid ser #) So with a $10 donation to Dosbox I’m starting over with X-com. With all the fixes it's like playing for the first time. Thanks Everyone! :D