XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Two Handed Fire

Guest Jim69

Guest Jim69

Hey

I am pretty sure that noone has posted ne thing like this, but if they have sorry 4 going over it again.

Pistols. In Apoc, as long as u were playing in realtime, u could fire 2 pistols in each hand at the same time. This could be implemented into a turn based game fairly easily. This is how:

When a pistol is held in one hand with nothing in the other, the non firing hand would support the pistol grip to add help cut down the recoil. So, if a pistol was in each hand, then the accuracy would suffer a little. Plus, the gun in the weak hand of the firer would suffer an accuracy penalty too. I don't know the exact figures from the original, so here are just some basic figures to show what I mean:

• 2 Handed gun ( Rifle etc. ) penalty accuracy: 0%
    2 Handed gun ( Rifle etc. ) + Other object penalty accuracy: 40%
    1 Handed gun ( Pistol etc. ) penalty accuracy: 0%
    1 Handed gun + other 1 handed gun penalty accuracy: 20%
    1 Handed gun + other object penalty accuracy: 15%
    Gun in weak hand penalty accuracy: 10%

Like I said, these are rough figures. So, if u had 2 hand guns, one in each hand, u would recieve half the penalty for having a 2 handed gun with another object in other hand.

What I propose is this; If a gun is in each hand, another option for each gun would be fire simultaniously, bearing in mind the above penalties. So with both guns, u could fire 6 shots at a time 4 auto shots, with every other shot ( the one from the gun in the weak hand ) being 10% less accurate.

Sounds nice to me.. finally it's usefull being a arnold "terminator" schwarznegger in x-com games (meaning those pistols in both hands)

two guns in each hand

cool, four guns?

pistols are dead inaccurate anyway. at ten feet they can be regularly up to a foot out. the accuracy penalties should be there but they should be insignificant any way. Half life made me laugh. the magnum was so accurate it had a laser sight. what tosh. they only good thing about a magnum is it's power. the gun was actually built about the bullet. the magnum refers to this single huge penetrate-anything bullet. There are good rifles thatfire magnums. you can put a hole in an 18 litre truck engine with a magnum rifle at point blank.

still i wouldn't want to be shot at with a pistol, at any range.

somebodies old sig used to be

i tried equipping one of my soldiers with 2 hand guns ( like in the John Woo filmes) but it just wasnt the same

no quotes because its close enough but still some errors.

i would love to see double pistols in. though, i dont think there should be a penulty if your doing dominant hand holds gun and other hand holds scanner. it wasnt done in the original and i think thats why these guns were put in in the first place, to have another object. as long as its in your dominant hand you should be fine.

I agree with c4t, in that a pistol in one hand, and an object in the other hand should be possible without a penalty (or at least a very small one), but a rifle in one hand and an object in the other hand should give a severe penalty. That way there would be some use for single-handed weapons.

Also, could the Ufopedia mention single/dual ahdn use for each weapon? Most are self evident, but for some it wasn't very clear, like the stunlauncher.

Edited by j'ordos

Heck, while we're at it (and if this is a seperate mod) we should make all weapons where you can hold in both hands...heavy plasma in both hands = a lot of fun...like I said this should be a seperate mod so that you can take the mod out when you wish

Guest Jim69
I agree with c4t, in that a pistol in one hand, and an object in the other hand should be possible without a penalty (or at least a very small one), but a rifle in one hand and an object in the other hand should give a severe penalty.

I totally agree, thats the point I was trying to make with the figures. The penalty for a pistol and something else should be small, much smaller than with a rifle or the pistol would be obsolete, but I think should still remain.

The reason, as I said b4, is that when firing a pistol most operatives use the other hand for holding the gun steady, so a small bonus should be made 4 this, as most special forces are fairly accurate with two hands holding a pistol at relatively short ranges.

I also see this as a way to bring pistols back into the frame a little more, as I personally rarely used them

so, pistol in a hand with nothing else (just pistol) =small bonus. pistol in dominant hand with item=no bonus or penulty. pistol with pistol in other hand= pistol in non dominant hand gets 10 percent penulty? i think thats what you guys said? no?

Guest Jim69
Maybe not 10%, that was just a random figure I picked out of the air and would need a little work, but what u said is the general jist of what I was getting at, yes.

I'm going to be present an opposite view here.

Though having two guns would be very 'movie' like, even the most basic trained one week in the armed forces would tell you that it's just that. Hollywood has a lot answer for. Two guns isn't just inaccurate its really dangerous too. There is a good reason that pistols are held in two hands, with one covering the bottom of the clip. That is the clip can fall out, casue jams and in a really serious case misfire in the breach and cause the gun to explode.

If we're having our operatives come from the level of Seals, SAS, Spetnatz and so on, they'd balk at the mere suggestion of using two handguns. If the user wants to equip two handguns (as was possible in the original) then leave it up to the player.

If we go endorsing the use of two handguns, everyone will use it. I think we should leave it as the original does it and just have a double hand negative modifier.

Guest Jim69

Yeah, I know that no soldier ANYWHERE would ever use a hand gun in each hand. But then, it can hardly be said that X-Com was so popular because of its realism now, could we? For starters, it is impossible to even FIRE a rifle while holding something in your other hand ( or at least so much so that it would be far more dangerous than firing a pistol in each hand ) and if u can justify how we managed to come up with lasers powerful enough to cause damage exceeding our greatest rifles over long distances in just 10 years without any alien technology then I'd like to hear it.

Just coz something is unrealistic don't make it wrong. If it actually had a negative effect on gameplay then I could understand, but this game is far from a sim. Maybe other ppl have a much different opinion to me, I'm used to it :D and ultimately it isn't gonna be my decision but the programmers or majority vote, but I personally don't have any problems including a few Hollywood trueisms, and who can deny that it would be a laugh firing 6 auto shots blindly at a group of cyberdisks, praying that one of the wildly innacurate shots actually hits something :happybanana:

Edit: Just read thru post again and realised 1. I may have sounded a little defensive, this was not the aim, and 2. That my English has fallen so far that my sentances are like 9 lines long :LOL:

hmmm...if you have 2 pistols in each hand, then you could have an "akimbo shot", with shoots 4-6 shots, 2-3 for each gun.

Its still balanced, because pistols ain't that powerfull (maybe even less with akimbo?), and it takes 2 guns, with 2 clips, and if its plasma pistols, you have to build them (aliens=heavy plasma), and that takes elerium. It would be a great weapon for high-accurrecy soldiers.

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/shoot3.gif

Oh, and pistols should generaly be less accurate, and/or less powerfull.

oh, and if you have only 1 pistol, then you shold have a Accurecy BONUS, because you can hold it with 2 hands.

Guest Jim69
Yeah, that'd be cool. I didn't know what to put 4 the diff between holding a pistol in each hand and 1 pistol and some other object e.g. Psi-Amp. Would they be the same, or would there be a diff do u think?

hmmm....that depends on the item, i think.

If you have a rocket launcher (heavy, 2 handed weapon) in one hand, and the pistol in the other, you get a penelty.

If you have a granade (light, one handed weapon), there should be not much penelty.

If you have nothing, you get a bonus.

like:

2 Handed gun ( Rifle etc. ) penalty accuracy: 0%

2 Handed gun + Other object penalty accuracy: 40%

1 Handed gun ( Pistol etc. ) bonus accuracy: +10%

1 Handed gun + other 1 handed gun penalty accuracy: 0%

1 Handed gun + other object penalty accuracy: 5%

1 handed gun + 2 handed gun penalty accuracy: 30%

Edited by mikker

If you have a rocket launcher (heavy, 2 handed weapon) in one hand, and the pistol in the other, you get a penelty

There should be a HUGE penalty when using the rocketlauncher then, maybe somewhat smaller penalty when using the pistol though.

edit: well, you edited while I was posting :hammer:

Edited by j'ordos

Personally I think the penalties of holding should be directly related to the weight and size of the object in question and if the object is really heavy and/or big, then you should not be able to wield a secondary weabon at all!

Personally I think the penalties of holding should be directly related to the weight and size of the object in question and if the object is really heavy and/or big, then you should not be able to wield a secondary weabon at all!

Part of that is already implemented through the loss of TU's if you overload your soldier. And I agree that it kinda looks weird to fire a rocket launcher with one hand and holding an autocannon in the other, though some might find that awesome. A compromise could be that it IS possible, but it really gets your accuracy way down.

And I agree that it kinda looks weird to fire a rocket launcher with one hand and holding an autocannon in the other, though some might find that awesome.

Maybe, but personally I think it's unbalancing... -_-

For example; you can load a guy with two rocket launchers, then you get two shots and for the inaccuracy, no biggie, just shoot at the ground next to a alien, it won't miss that much then!

If he can still get out of the Skyranger that is... :hammer:

I mean, it was possible in Xcom, but how many times have you used it? (now that I think of it, I didn't use that!! :o ) *decides to launch xcom later tonight and kick some butt with dual rocketlaunchers :devillaugh: * Oh wait, he probably can't move at all with two launchers :crying:

Edited by j'ordos

you guys are beautiful! im going for an auto cannon (he loaded) in one hand and a rocket launcher (he loaded) in another! one, my soldier guy has 121 accuracy so i dont think that will be too much of a problem, though his str is only around 60 so he may needa bit of help with that, and even if they cant move, if they can take one step then they will improve, and improve a lot theyh will because they are god if you have auto cannon and rocket in hand. im going to fire auto shot and then the rocket, damn thats an awesome idea, ill report on my findings.

edit: my soldiers have 70 or 71 str, this seems to be the max, the max is probly 70 but i assume its the health bug involved, ill see if it goes up with my brilliant combonation :)

ok, i just played a mission and i have to say it was awesome! i gave the stuff to the character that represented me. he has 113 aim and 71 str. i packed him down with a rocket launcher and an auto cannon, two alien nades, and 3 belts of he for the auto cannon, oh and 3 large rockets in his backpack, and guess what? he only suffered 5 tu points. he had 81 tu's and at the start of the round he had 76. first it went off where i had one of my guys spot an alien person and then pwn him up. then we saw an other so i decided to try my combo thing. the alien was hiding in a building, and you know a good way to take out walls in buildings? you guessed it, shoot a rocket at it, so he did he shot his rocket with a snap shot and it was right on target. then he had like 40 tu's left and i had him do an auto shot with his he cannon, all shots hit and he killed him (was an eth) so... wewt! i think im going to start giving all my soldiers rocket launchers since im bored.

You're trying that in Apoc, right? If not you could be very dissapointed :naughty:

nope, normal ufo defence. oh and after he killed the alien in the building another was seen walking it in so i reloaded and shot my rocket at him and killed him ( i couldnt see the eth so i shot at the staircase but still got him) the i reloaded the rocket launcher, he then fired it in reaction shot but it missed the alien and hit the ufo wall, the alien was just at an angle so he wasnt hurt. then he fired auto cannons at it with no success. i was just holding down the turn button by now. then somebody decided to be a party pooper and threw an alien nade at him and he got stunned. damn these guys dont know how to party! :party:

i know it would be so much more fun if you could do both at once, but still this is pretty fun. in snap shot mode for the rocket i have 49 percent. and for auto shot in the cannon i have like 40 percent too.

Here's an idea. weapons are classed into three types. heavy, rifle, and pistol. Heavy refers to heavy plasma and laser, rocket launcher, blaster launcher, and cannons. simply put, they're heavy so you have to use two hands to carry them. no other choice.

rifles, well, you can carry them with one hand, but you're guy will incur a penalty. A major accuracy penalty. Rifles have no penalties or bonuses for being used with two hands.

finally, pistols are designed for one hand use. they have no penalty for being carried in one hand. and you actually get a bonus when you use a pistol with two hands.

using two ranged weapons at once gives you double fire option i guess. or maybe a straffe option.

I think this could balance weapon types.

I agree with warhamster...Like in diablo II, you couldn't, even how strong your charrecter was, hold 2 2-handed weapons at once. It was displayed, as a gray model of the weapon in the other hand.

But i will hold on to my akimbo shot idea. If you have 2 pistols (i don't know if you would be able to do it with 1 laser, and 1 plasma? I think so), or even 2 riffle (penelty AND bonus), you can akimbo an autoshot.

Here's a refinement of my earlier idea...

Heavies, you can only use them with 2 hands.

For rifles, you can't do aimed shots unless you hold the weapon with 2 hands. Snap shots are penalized for one handed fire. Auto shot is severely penalized for one handed fire.

Finally pistols, you can snap, auto, and aim without penalty for one hand fire. You get bonuses for two hand fire.

Arming two ranged weapons at once brings out double fire (2 snap shots at once) and straffe (2 auto shots at once) attack options.

And mentioning diablo, why don't we make the soldier screen similar to diablo's inventory screen. We have armor slot. Left arm, right arm slots. belt, legs, and back pack.

thas how apoc did it right? i thought i twas a burdon equipping each peice of armor on... but i did think it was cool that you could have different peices on.

Guest Jim69
Yeah, but u only had 2 do it once, so it wasn't that bad. I personally like the Diablo style inventory in a window that pops up instead of filling the screen. They probably only used the full screen coz of resolution constraints.

Guest Jim69

Sorry, should have ended paragraph there, I was just replying to c4t, shoulda made it more clear. I was just sayin it wasn't that bad to switch between armour, as far as I know its just gonna be a whole set of armour.

I meant the pop-up box inventory style instead of a whole screen, which seems kinda a waste, IMHO. However, there's always the opposite view, and it's fairly democratic as far as I've seen, so if a majority can come up with the better arguement then that is what will happen. Or so it seem to me, but I often indulge in a little too much :beer:

Edit: Ahh, I see why Diablo was mentioned now, nothing to do with what I thought it was. IMHO seperate armour modules wasn't hard to set up on loadout, but was kinda lame in Apoc.

But the armor is going to be like the original, am I right? So you choose for one type of armor for the entire soldier, not per limb.

Well, I believe it should be like that. We're just borrowing the interface if ever, just for convenience really.

:beer:

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I don't think this has been discussed before - I've done a quick search and only found it mentioned briefly anyway.

Firstly, I think if you have a pistol in each hand you should be able to fire them both with it taking the same amount of time with one.

Secondly, I don't know how it affected you in Enemy Unknown but if you have a heavy plasma or some other weapon that you really need two hand to hold properly, if you have, for example, the plasma in your right hand and a motion scanner in your left, your accuracy should be decreased substationally.

That's it. Bye.

-Sam

Ufo used the system you just mentioned.

The Akimbo pistol is a good idea, it was done well in apoc I think. Two toxiguns chewed through any alien in the game.

Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

LOL, didn't look 2 far then.

edit: Otherwise Rustedsoul wold not have had to attempt a failed merge of this topic 8 months later ^_^

Edited by RustedSoul

I believe you lose 20% accuracy when using a 2 hander with only 1 hand.

Firing two pistols simultaniously is more of a trick than useful practice. From a real-life perspective, you sacrifice a great deal of accuracy for very little change in stopping power; from a game-mechanics standpoint, you create a bit of an exploit if you don't heavily penalize (evil range modifiers).

Nope. Ever gone off to a range with moving targets and see what your fire/accuracy rates are with a pair of pistols vs. a single pistol?

If this were a FPS, I would say the "coolness" factor outweighs the efficacy issue; but since X-Com is a squad-based shooter with a strategic management element, I have to cast my vote for "no dual weapon use". :D

• 6 months later...

Dual weapon use should be reserved for mad close quarter :uzzi: fighting.

It doesn't really matter where it goes as long as you're at point blank range.

Though it would be more apropiate for squad weapons - SMGs, machineguns ect.

A squad weapon is smg. you should be fire even on the move and provide cover fire - it shouldn't be impossible to haul around 2 of those things and cover the entire corridor with a curtain of lead.

About the heatin issue - both laser AND plasma weapons should overheat. Lasers should overheat in a square based manner (the 2'nd immediate shot creates 2 twice as much heat and so on) while plasma guns should create more heat in a shot but have a linear heating (so each shot adds only the same ammount of heat).

Therefore a laser can operate better at short terms, but abusive use will quickly overheat it, while plasma will run on higher temperatures most of the time it won't jam/overheat as much...though you'll have to let it cool off before going trigger frenzy.

That way even during the late phases of the game conventional guns should have their own benefits - by the way discovering alien technologies should enable you to develop better conventional guns - developing them should take more time, since you can't just reverse engineer them, but they would be easier to manufacture and have statistics comparable to laser and plasma.

They won't do as much damage as plasma but should come close to laser.

If targeted shots get implemented their use would be even more: only lasers and conventional guns should allow true extremely critical hits - you just can't aim that good with plasma. To hit the eye or the small crack in the armor you need a precise laser or a gun with a fast bullet.

Opponents could have different statistics against laser, plasma and bullets - the later (X-com developed hybrid) conventional guns could have the highest penetration and the least damage - good for snipers, or SMG addicts.

It has been discussed that armors would have slots for equipment. Like nightvision, aimboost-zoom, motionscanner, psiequipment and other stuff like that. It could be nice to have such things in inventory screen like this.

• 7 months later...

As a half-reply to revenant4's post. Doing two heavy plasma's in both hands remainds me of the film "Eraser", with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I still remember the end scene where he took both "Railgun" rifles and shot the heck out of an Army truck, and it flew backwards.

That's be something, arming your Commander with two heavy plasma's, eh?