XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SPAWN: Merged Topics

NOTICE!

As a general informal announcement, we're asking that the various concept threads for the aliens focus more on posting concepts right now, rather than requesting tweaks to other artist's concepts. Rather than taking each concept and tweaking it as it comes in, let's leave it up to the artist to present their idea, and if you'd prefer a change to it, either modify the posted image to show what you mean (and that becomes another concept), or PM the artist about getting the files if that would make it easier to do. Some threads have lots of posts with tiny tweaks to essentially the same concept pic, which makes the contect very cyclic.

Thanks!

Also, please read:

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums//index.php?s...?showtopic=2355

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

Here is my shot at the Spawn. C&C welcome. I have no idea where to put this thing and was too lazy to paint a bg so for now he's in the grey abyss that all of my monsters reside in. hehe.

http://www3.telus.net/web_project/Pics/xenocide/spawn.jpg

The spindly shape fits with these things quickly forming in the human host and bursting out. Insect-like speed too, which fits.

For those wondering why we're looking at this again, we never received the models for the previous concept, so we're having to start over on this.

Nice concept fux, do you see this thing dropping to more than 2 legs when moving? I think it would look good that way, but still be able to stand on 2 when attacking prey.

We're revising the design to assure that all of the alien concepts and models are brought up to the same exacting standards of the recent designs.

The way the legs are configured I don't really see it crawling... I don't suppose that it would be out of the question, though.

Hmm... I was at a loss for what to do with its hands and feet. The reason I went with pincers is because the original had them and they are the furthest things from hands that are still hands.. but also resemble blades. I wanted to create an ambiguity between the hands and feet- as much as there is between the 'hands' and 'feet' of crustacea or apes. The feet are very similar but slightly different. To be honest, I am quite happy with the hands and feet the way they are... Other than how I have them, I don't see how I can change them without changing the hands.. and don't get me wrong, I'm not very partial to the pincer design- but to what?

There is a great danger here in making this thing look like a genestealer of WH40k fame (which it already partially resembles, to my embarassment) or a xenomorph from aliens. The resemblence would only increase if the creature was thicker. Part of the problem is that it's already a genestealer/xenomorph in function- only the effects of the seeding are much more rapid.

Suggestions as to alternate forms of the hands and feet are welcome.

Edited by fux0r666

Maybe a splayed pincer to add something like a heel to it or working with the ankle to make it look less like a bent out of shape hand.

or try adding a spur to the back of the foot for support.

Thinking about it the biggest issue with the feet is that they don't seem to provide the necessary support to keep the critter from falling over backwards. If it were able to stand upright it seems as if its balance would be extremely fragile.

• 3 weeks later...