XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xenocide.0.2.0.1740

tonyt

Hi, I have downloaded the latest "installer" Xenocide.0.2.0.1740 when it is unzipped and I try and run it I instantly get the windows standard crash/error window and the game does not run.

How can I post the error log with out typing out the entire error log? I it wont let me cut and paste it, typing it out will take me several days to do!

Thanks

Just do a screenshot (hit Print Screen on your Keyboard.

I have tried that button nothing happens

That is right. You will get no response by the system that something happened. But anyway, the picture you see at the moment of pressign the button will be frozen into the clipboard and can be copied (via paste or ctrl-v) from there in any application of your liking.

Just do a screenshot (hit Print Screen on your Keyboard.

I have tried that button nothing happens

That is right. You will get no response by the system that something happened. But anyway, the picture you see at the moment of pressign the button will be frozen into the clipboard and can be copied (via paste or ctrl-v) from there in any application of your liking.

ok got it tnx here is part of the error log :-

New_Wordpad_Document.rar

Edited by tonyt

That sounds like a CeGui error, the error message is telling that you have to execute End to close a shader execution bind before trying to begin a new execution context for another shader pass. Definitely not a Video Card problem, can be that specific video card with the XNA renderer from CeGui though.

Greetings

Red Knight

Please post what type of graphics card you have. It might not be able to use the shader.

This was it. The graphic card was a very old one AGP 4X I don't even remember the reference.

I succeed to install it on a Windows XP x64 with a better graphic card.

Now every thing feet.

Thank you for this demo, the game is awesome.

If you need help with the French translation I can handle.

=b

• 2 weeks later...

Instant crash similar to above;

I downloaded from StrategyCore and when I tried to start the game, immediate error window (with no error message) saying that the windows was shutting down the program.

I tried to reunpack the file with no change. Then I went to the Xenocide main page from link at StragegyCore and I downloaded that file (same file) installing it ontop of the previous with no change.

After coming to the forums here I made sure I installed XNA and .net and the game went a step further upon restart, now I get the following error:

Exception: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

StackTrace:

at ProjectXenocide.Xenocide..ctor()

at ProjectXenocide.Man() in C:\Users\Jasin\Documents\Xenocide

SVN\XenoXNA\Xenocide\Source\Program.cs:line42

Thanks,

Albert - PariahSolo - eastwoodaen

I had been looking up into that error code, and it is associated to dlls not found. Make sure you have both .Net 2.0 and the XNA Refresh redistributables or the XNA Game Studio. BTW we found out by another user that the Loading paths with non standard characters do not work on XNA, so please test the following:

Unpack the game on the C:\Xenocide

Make sure that you have 5 .dll files and 1 .exe

Run the progress release

If fail, report the complete stack trace in this thread.

Thanks in advance,

Greetings

Red Knight

Ok, let me try not to sound like a noob because I am unsure what you mean by 'unpack'. I can think of two different meanings in this case, the first is to uncompile the game using a separate program. The second would be to take a look at the files in the Xenocide directory. Since I have read abut but have never uncimpiled a game I will assume you meant the latter.

My Xenocide directory has five .dll files (CeGui, CeGui.Renderers.Xna, Cegui.WidgetsSets.Taharez, FMOD and fmodex. I only see one .exe (Xenocide) but there is 12 other files (5 .pdb and 3 .xsd) and two directories (Content and Resources).

The next step (run the progress release) is stumping, other then starting the game I have no clue what you mean.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Albert - PariahSolo - eastwoodaen

Guest Azrael Strife

Decompiling is, as far as I know, pretty impossible, otherwise we'd have the X-Com source code ages ago (by impossible I mean impossible to get it right or unpractical).

By unpack I think he means... install, probably.

Azrael, decompiling in any bytecode world (like .Net and Java is far from imposible. For .Net you only have to get Reflector from Lutz Roeder if you want to inspect the decompilation of Xenocide source ;) ).

Albert, by unpack I meant that you can unzip the content of the release (that it is a .zip). As a side note, do you have experience with compiling and debugging?

Greetings

Red Knight

Hey Red,

Okay I unpacked the game (fourth time, 1st since installing XNA) and am still getting the same error.

Sadly, I have no experience with compiling and debugging, I have just been around for a while reading in various forums how people (mods) play with game code to make them jump through hoops.

One thing that the other day got me crazy (when I tried to debug a prototype implementation that we are doing with Supsuper) is that apparently some sound cards disable the audio card if they dont detect a speaker plugged in. I didnt reported that bug yet to David, but make sure that your sound card works as expected.

Greetings

Red Knight

Guest Azrael Strife
Azrael, decompiling in any bytecode world (like .Net and Java is far from imposible. For .Net you only have to get Reflector from Lutz Roeder if you want to inspect the decompilation of Xenocide source ;) ).

As I said, by "impossible" I meant it is simply not practical, because if it is and you know how I'd love you to hand me the X-Com sourcecode via decompiling the game :)

As for Java, I believed Java code was something called "middle-code" or something like that? interpreted code by a Java Virtual Machine, as far as I know Java code is open source, so you need not decompile it.

edit: Windows Vista is written in C#, isn't it? what prevents people from decompiling it and obtaining the source? there must be something else to it, I'm positive Microsoft would not release an OS which source code can be obtained that easily.

Edited by Azrael Strife

1) Vista is written in C++.

2) You can deassemble ANYTHING, the point is that it's quite difficult (it depends on the measures taken) to make any useful high-level code from that. You don't have any "variable names", only strings used in the code. In addition, there are many tricks to obsfucate assembly code

3) There isn't really a "middle-code", you can find these two:

a.)

Bytecode is a binary representation of an executable program designed to be executed by a virtual machine rather than by dedicated hardware. Since it is processed by software, it is usually more abstract than machine code. Different parts of a program are often stored in separate files, similar to object modules. Bytecode is called so because, historically, most instruction sets had one-byte opcodes, followed by zero or more parameters such as registers or memory address

b.)

In computer science, an intermediate language is the language of an abstract machine designed to aid in the analysis of computer programs. The term comes from their use in compilers, where a compiler first translates the source code of a program into a form more suitable for code-improving transformations, as an intermediate step before generating object or machine code for a target machine.

c) Java Virtual Machines use bytecode, the dotNet framework uses an IL. There's no use getting in more depth now, we're too offtopic anyway (these posts could be moved in a new thread actually, if a mod would be that kind :))

4) And about the open-source part, Microsoft supports the Mono Project which wants to provide the linux platform full support of the .Net framework.

Edited by kafros

Guest Azrael Strife
1) Vista is written in C++.

Interesting, and strange.

2) You can deassemble ANYTHING, the point is that it's quite difficult (it depends on the measures taken) to make any useful high-level code from that. You don't have any "variable names", only strings used in the code. In addition, there are many tricks to obsfucate assembly code

I'm aware, should I quote my two previous posts?

As I said, by "impossible" I meant it is simply not practical
3) There isn't really a "middle-code", you can find these two:

a.)

Bytecode is a binary representation of an executable program designed to be executed by a virtual machine rather than by dedicated hardware. Since it is processed by software, it is usually more abstract than machine code. Different parts of a program are often stored in separate files, similar to object modules. Bytecode is called so because, historically, most instruction sets had one-byte opcodes, followed by zero or more parameters such as registers or memory address

b.)

In computer science, an intermediate language is the language of an abstract machine designed to aid in the analysis of computer programs. The term comes from their use in compilers, where a compiler first translates the source code of a program into a form more suitable for code-improving transformations, as an intermediate step before generating object or machine code for a target machine.

Yes, exactly what I meant by "middle-code", the quotes were because I did not remember the exact name.

c) Java Virtual Machines use bytecode, the dotNet framework uses an IL.

I was incorrect about the open source part, what I meant was:

One characteristic, platform independence, means that programs written in the Java language must run similarly on any supported hardware/operating-system platform. One should be able to write a program once, compile it once, and run it anywhere.

This is achieved by most Java compilers by compiling the Java language code halfway (to Java bytecode) ? simplified machine instructions specific to the Java platform. The code is then run on a virtual machine (VM), a program written in native code on the host hardware that interprets and executes generic Java bytecode.

There's no use getting in more depth now, we're too offtopic anyway (these posts could be moved in a new thread actually, if a mod would be that kind :))

Let us not commit that horrible crime.

4) And about the open-source part, Microsoft supports the Mono Project which wants to provide the linux platform full support of the .Net framework.

I never mentioned anything about it, and I don't see why or how MS would support anything open source or linux.

• 3 weeks later...
i get the exact same error as PariahSolo

I'm running vista 64 with a 8800 gtx

I've installed XNA runtime and .NET Framework 3.0

DirectX 9.0c wer already on my computer.

1. Xenocide uses .NET Framework 2.0, not 3.0, make sure you have framework 2.0 installed.
    2. Install/Reinstall the latest version of the XNA 1.0 Refresh redistributables.
    3. Install/Reinstall the latest version of DirectX 9.0c redistributable. It needs to be the December 2006 release or newer. (Note, there are several versions of DirectX 9.0c, the December 2006 added some components that XNA needs.) Do NOT trust any version of DirectX 9.0c that was installed as part of any game, as the games usually don't install all the pieces.

Somone from CTD can add that information to the download and FAQ pages? Specialy the red and bold parts ;)

Greetings

Red Knight

apart from the red parts its already there. anyway, added.

Perhaps I misunderstood you, but I don't see the part in red.

Also, if you're going to update http://www.projectxenocide.com/downloads.html you might like fix the typo in minimum spec.

Xenocide will run on a GeoForce FX 5200, and up, not a 6200 and up.

Also, if you're going to update http://www.projectxenocide.com/downloads.html you might like fix the typo in minimum spec.

They are not written in red, but they are in there. (in the FAQ) I don't really see a reason to update the downloads section. There is no false information there, and if someone really should get problems, it is written in the FAQ in a way that everyone will understand it.

As for the GeForce thing, I know that it is running in GeForce FX5200, but when I told you guys that it would run on my FX5200 without problems the general opinion was to keep it on the higher specs anyway.

But ok. If you think it would be better to show the lower specs, I can change that part.

They are not written in red, but they are in there. (in the FAQ) I don't really see a reason to update the downloads section. There is no false information there, and if someone really should get problems, it is written in the FAQ in a way that everyone will understand it.

As for the GeForce thing, I know that it is running in GeForce FX5200, but when I told you guys that it would run on my FX5200 without problems the general opinion was to keep it on the higher specs anyway.

But ok. If you think it would be better to show the lower specs, I can change that part.

My suspicion/concern is that most people are going to go straight to the downloads page, without even reading the FAQ.

And they're just going to read the first entry in the downloads (without reading the lower ones.)

So, in order to reduce "potential recruit frustration", and the team's time spent answering these posts, I'd like the information put where it's most likely to be seen.

Note, the second entry (which announces the PR 0.1 release) does mention December 2006 DirectX, but it doesn't mention don't trust the game installs. And based on the number of posts we've seen on the forum where people have done this with directX.

My suspicion/concern is that most people are going to go straight to the downloads page, without even reading the FAQ.

And they're just going to read the first entry in the downloads (without reading the lower ones.)

So, in order to reduce "potential recruit frustration", and the team's time spent answering these posts, I'd like the information put where it's most likely to be seen.

Note, the second entry (which announces the PR 0.1 release) does mention December 2006 DirectX, but it doesn't mention don't trust the game installs. And based on the number of posts we've seen on the forum where people have done this with directX.

Yes, I know it does not mention that they should not trust games. I thought it to be too wordy for the webpage. But I can put it in of course if you feel it is necessary.

Guest Azrael Strife
And make it RED :P

*sigh* if you guys really want this... But I take no responsibility for offending design.

I personally was kidding :) highlighting text in red *and* bold is, as you said, offensive design (IMHO)

And make it RED :P

*sigh* if you guys really want this... But I take no responsibility for offending design.

I personally was kidding :) highlighting text in red *and* bold is, as you said, offensive design (IMHO)

I know you were kidding, but anyway, i will make it bold, although I think in this design even bold text is offensive.

• 3 weeks later...
See attachment for the error I'm receiving when opening the latest Xenocide build.

You're probably missing one of the dependencies.

• .Net Framework 2.0 (not 3.0)
  • XNA Refresh 1.0 Runtime Distribution
  • DirectX: DirectX 9.0c from December 2006, or newer - be careful to not use a DirectX shipped with games, as these often lack some files

My guess is .Net Framework 2.0

• 1 month later...

i belive this same error might have been brought up but i'm quite sure i got all the needed stuff installed

theres the error msg and the folder can be seen too, might have messed up in there, also if theres any way i can check if i have the needed stuff installed that would be cool

thx for any help, from what i've been able to see the game looks amazing so far good work :)

EDIT: nvm that other stuff found the problem a link to all the stuff needed would have been nice :P

here i'll help out:

Net Framework 2.0 -- http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

XNA Refresh 1.0 Runtime Distribution -- http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

DirectX 9c -- http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html

10 -- http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

correct me if link is wrong plz

xerno_error.bmp

Edited by darkwars

i belive this same error might have been brought up but i'm quite sure i got all the needed stuff installed

theres the error msg and the folder can be seen too, might have messed up in there, also if theres any way i can check if i have the needed stuff installed that would be cool

thx for any help, from what i've been able to see the game looks amazing so far good work :)

OK, just for our records.

1. How could we make the dependencies more obvious? They are on the same web page as the download.

2. Did you manage to get it running in the end?

3. Did you figure out what was missing? My guess is wrong version of DirectX 9.0c, but it would be good to confirm, so that next time someone reports that exact error message, we can tell them exactly what's missing.

Thanks.