XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Current Build Controls

Guest Guest_HeliumFreak_*

Hey

First off id like to say im very impressed with the current build it looks very nice. One minor niggle that id like to change is the control of the world.

Traditionaly with the mouse moving the world around you would click on a location and "drag" that location towards you. Currently the mouse seems to be set up to move the world away from you. This is very unnatural. Could this be changed at all please?

If there is an option for doing this sorry for the post.

Ok example.

1. Look at the earth.

2. Move your mouse over the left side of the planet

3. Left click and hold and move the move to the right.

This should "drag" the location of the mouse towards the centre of the screen.

However it doesnt. Doing this moves mouse location further away. Which is completely not natural at all. The idea is you move the mouse "left" to get something and "right" to drag it back.

Like if you moved your hand left to get a glass, youd move it right to bring the glass back. This "natural" method is used in all modern games that require you to move a camera around with a mouse. RTS games where if you want to move closer to a location you left click on the location and "drag" it (and the mouse) back towards you. And if you want to move further away from a location you left click and push the mouse away, to push the camera back.

:)

I really cant explain it better than that. However trust me it should be the other way around :) Anyone who is a serious gamer will know that.

Seriously what cant be grasped? Have you all never played a game before that required you to move a map or camera with a mouse?

Go play some games!

Go play command and conquer generals.

Go right click on the land scape and move your mouse forwards (As in, "pushing the camera away") on the pad. It will move the camera backwards. Then right click and move the mouse backwards (As in, "Draging the camera towards") on the pad. It will move the camera fowards.

A natural camera is meant to move in the oposite direction to the movement of the mouse.

Seriously what cant be grasped? Have you all never played a game before that required you to move a map or camera with a mouse?

Go play some games! 

Go play command and conquer generals.

Go right click on the land scape and move your mouse forwards (As in, "pushing the camera away") on the pad. It will move the camera backwards.  Then right click and move the mouse backwards (As in, "Draging the camera towards") on the pad. It will move the camera fowards.

A natural camera is meant to move in the oposite direction to the movement of the mouse.

Take it easy :beer:

I think we've all played some games (otherwise we wouldn't be here).

Basicly what you are saying is that we should we should invert the direction of movement when you drag with the mouse on the earth, right?

As the navigation-method is not set in stone, yet, I guess we can still discuss on that. Once we have proper picking (e.g. determining the coordinates of the point you clicked on the earth), I would rather have the old X-Com style navigation. That is to rotate the world so that the point you right-clicked on gets centered.

The current navigation system was just put in real fast in order to be able to look at the earth from different directions.

Your point has been noted and will certainly be taken into account when discussing the navigation issue.

As an additional note, thanks for the input, we always welcome stuff like this, as a fresh view from someone that hasn't seen the GUI for so long always results in very interesting insights.

Greetings,

Rincewind

How could click drag make the planet turn in the direction opposite that you are dragging? Does Xenocide even have this? I though it was click-center?

Thanks for the replys guys. Didnt mean to sound harsh but i thought this stuff was common sense ? Its been used in 99% of games since i started playing 14 or so years ago. Even Dune2 had it.

I was going to suggest inverting the mouse however that would make the mouse movement wrong. But yes inverting the camera movement would solve it also.

The only other niggle about the control interface is the earth controls at the bottom right. They are simply far too sensitive and the earth spins too fast. Although i assume that can be changed easily as well.

However if your going to have the mouse control there especialy with dragging the earth around. Is it really worth having the controls to move the earth? Sure itll be "traditional", however its abit out dated now and is it really needed?