XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Issue #139 Base Facilities Texturing

Vaaish

Well here is my server... I was thinking a cluster of those in the corner instead of that ugly box... The transperant part is going to have glowing suircitry in it embeded in glass...

A single one is 125 polys

Server_001.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it looks cool but is that even feisible in a current tech +10 setting? maybe instead of glowing circutry try putting standard looking computer racks inside.

I was thinking that maybe the circuits are suspened in some sort of coolant liquid... There was a show on discovery channel about a liquid that behaved exactly like water... right down the the specific heat capacity except that it didn't conduct electricity, so maybe X-Corps uses computers that are no longer cooled by fans but instead circuits submerged in that liquid directly?

If not I can always put vanila looking ones in there...

Oh and I finished the unrawp; I told you vaaish that I was swiching gears :P Im going to start texturing the body while the discussion with the curcuits gets sorted out...

Server_002.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

Alright this is all I got so far... Im going to call it a day... im beat...

Server_003.jpg

hehe... yeah I haven't had a chance to look the microscope over yet. had company all weekend and didn't get anything done :)

I could see some sort of liquid cooling. but to work I think it wold require the components and circutry to be sealed against the fluid to prevent shorts with contact points around the areas that generate the most heat to act as transfer points. maybe enve have it as some from of supercooled liquid to keep the temperatures down.

I could see some sort of liquid cooling. but to work I think it wold require the components and circutry to be sealed against the fluid to prevent shorts with contact points around the areas that generate the most heat to act as transfer points. maybe enve have it as some from of supercooled liquid to keep the temperatures down.

Actually if you submerge a complete PC in curent-transformer oil, it still works perfectly (and you don't want to take it out... ever - it's extremely sticky... :P )

You could try something like these:

1)http://www.pyramid.de/e/produkte/server/cl...uid-cooling.php

2)http://www.rittal-corp.com/it/cooling/liqu...g/lcp/index.cfm

3)http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/y...73_1907_7862471

Humble opinion: #2 layout and #3 coolness xD.

You could also find interesting comments here!

Cray computers are a wonderful example to study...

Here is the microcope station that is in the corner... if anyone wants to they can texture it :D

While I will re-make the server...

Ok looked at the microscope and I think that this will work quite well. THe 3ds can be imported into Blender and seems to retain its UV coords while i am concerned at if blender can export back to 3ds retain the coords I don't think it will be necessary. Anyone can load up the model in blender to see how it is unwrapped and use the to guide the texture painting in photoshop. After you are done we should be able to just apply the texture in 3dsMAX and it should fit correctly. There should be no need to retain the 3ds or reimport the 3ds into max to retain any material settings.

going this route means we can open texture creation to anyone woth the appropriate skill set and not worry about if the final mapped model will be usable.

because of this I would propse teh change that unwrapping the facilities be a priority, even if we can get one or two unwrapped out in front of the one being worked on it will allow more folks to work on the facilities at a give n time.

Edited by Vaaish

This is something that I was thinking to put in there... didn't quite turn out the way I wanted to but it gets the idea across

Server_004.jpg

Hmm true... I will save that style for the alines then...

How about this? actual server racks... a bit thin though... this matches the style of X-Corps that has been set with the laser weapons...

I removed the glass on one to better see the geometry

Server_005.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

In the mean while, I got some more texturing done on the main body

This was originaly suposed to look like the cray super computer... but I guess I got a little carried away :P

Server_006.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

I think they are.... how about expanding the glasss encased section to fill the center section too that way you can have larger racks and make it a single unit. If you do that the try making that cushon looking bit you currently have in the background of teh center into a stip lighting so it "glows' might add more of the "power" feel.

about power.... hmmm, well alot of crays don't send the power signal either... in fact several of them send more of a "bench" signal.

Edited by Vaaish

My original idea was that those "Racks" would look like a huge glowing city, not sure if that describes it, but imagine something that gives you the impression that the scale is huge... Then I added those spaces and it rolled down from there...

I am going to try and post what I meant later when I re-think what is it that I actualy wanted

Edit: Here is a quick mock up... and by god it looks exactly the same as the "Alein" one... and that is a texture of an actual city O.o

Server_007.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

• 3 weeks later...

I refuse to put a boxy server in there >.

How about this one? a more traditional looking cray server, without being too boring and boxy...

Server_008.jpg

Just a progress update letting you know im not just keeping my chair warm...

Unrawped, starting texturing 152 polys (Dont think it needs an image, nothing special, made sure no stretching UV help is alot of help :P thanks fuxor)

Personally, I like the "cityscape" style computer. Perhaps we can use it in the UFO/Alien bases?

thats my thought, it'll go well with the alien architecture. Its just too out there for a 10 yrs pluss human base though.

Sorry for no updates latley, didnt have any time; school started and I have work as well that leaves very little time for anything else...

Alright, heres an update; I decided to do the bump and specular maps first (They seem to be always done first by others as well, and I think im the only one still using hand made bump maps instead of normal maps O.o)

This is a brazil render with the bump and specular maps, it appears smudgy beacuse of the image quality (Don't want to have amazing quality that will lag a 56er to death on a single picture)

Server_002.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have a small question, I forgot if it was answered already, so sorry in advance...

For all the facilities are the doors seperate entities? or are they a part of the model itself, and will be animitated individualy?

Finished the server... By itself it looks alright, but when in the lab it seems a bit out of place...

Could be that it is alot higher res then the lab, and it could be the black texture on it...

Server_003.jpg

Lab_012.jpg

sorry I'm a bit late, I've not been able to connectto the forums for a few days for some resason. I think it looks good, just change the black in the server texture to a grey thats just strong enough to make it different thant the other grey and lets get that microscope done and ship it. as an example look at the cryotubes and see how their contrast is. Edited by Vaaish

• 4 weeks later...

I havn't posted in I don't know how long....

Heres something to be improved. The small segment looks nice, but it's plainly visible that the wall is much thinner due to geometry trying to fit the axis. Attached the pic to illustrate what I mean. It would make it look much better (seems too shakey to me, right now).

pleasechange.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

Just retweaking the entire thing...

Table is Black, like the chemistry benches in most universities...

Walls are a diffrent texture

For the "Chalkboard" Can someone please take a couple of pictures of the x-net and main view? I tried with fraps but it didn't want to co operate...

Going to add Long drawrers for the table; increase the contrast in the Alien tubes to match them more with the server...

And I still have to do that microscope...

Lab_013.jpg

New specimen tube texture that matches the server, complete with all the bump, gloss and glow maps...

Lab_017.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

The tubes are supposed to look like they have condensed water on them; as bubbles wouldn't make sence as a texture, since it is just in 2D...

I guess I can scale down them a bit, but I will need a new refrence image...

Im still working on the consoles, and the screen, I just need alot of screenshots from the X-net...

Lab_018.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

Finished texturing the microscope (Diffuse, Bump, Gloss, Glow)

Finished texturing the Lab itslef (Diffuse, Bump, Gloss, Glow)

The only thing left to do is texture that TV, which shouldn't take long...

After that I will do a good render... and move on to the access lift...

Lab_021.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@mike: black work benches are used in modern universities; they have a matte finish, and resist almost all spills (Strong acids, bases etc...) So I thought that something like that would be more "Traditional" compared to the techy things around...

Fixed the smoothing groups

Fixed some import errors

Unrawped the lift

Will start texturing...

Lift_001.jpg

well, okay, but I think it looks very bland, personally. It added ALOT to it when the small outer trim was there before, but if you say so...

well, okay, but I think it looks very bland, personally. It added ALOT to it when the small outer trim was there before, but if you say so...

I think it looks really nice in black, high-techy :D

• 3 weeks later...

Lookin' good!

One thing though, is the text "Access lvl 1" supposed to be on the outside of the module, where no one will be able to see it? :)

Or is the module surrounded by a corridor instead of earth/rock/concrete?