XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Good Bye X-com.

I've never posted on these boards before, I was just a lurker grabbing the goodies, tips and what not.

After unsuccesfully trying to run the X-Com Apoc abandon release on WinXP, I decided to start a fresh new X-Com (Gold) game and after finishing it doing a TFTD game. To my utter shock, awe and absolute panic, I discovered an year of distance since my last X-Com game rendered X-Com unplayable, maybe it's a DirectX update, windows or ATI driver (or anything else for that matter) but now it is impossible to play the Battlescape and "Intercept" UFO's as those two parts of the game are running on LIGHTSPEED, Battlescape animations set to 1 almost run on normal but the map scrolling is ridiculous, curiously the Geoscape speed is pretty much normal, CPU slowdowner's didn't help at all.

So, after many years of unparallel fun, unmatched by any present-day game, I am forced to retire and quit X-Com. :Tantrum:

Well, I still have the playstation version of X-Com:UFO, but the awfull controls and long loading times are a huge drawback, and I can still try these abandonware DOS versions of X-Com and TFTD with DOSBOX but I prematurely announce my retirement because judging from my luck at getting Apoc to work (never reached playable state) I doubt I'll ever play X-com or TFTD again. :boohoo:

Good bye X-Com, I feel as if a part of me has just died in an unexpected tragic and painfull way, I will never fully recover from this departure and I'll have to live with a knife in my heart and a blood stain on my soul, never shall I experience the amount of fun we once shared, oh dear X-Com, how painfull this is, to know, we'll never meet again, It's the same feeling I had when I broke out with my first girlfriend, so long ago and I still remember, will I remember you too X-Com?

Yes, you shall rest forever in my mind, every day, every hour, every minute, I shall think of you, and remember all the joy, for that I am gratefull, thank you, thanks to every single person involved in the process of making X-com possible and the community patches/mods/editors authors and hosts, thank you for making my life better, for some time, better than anything else could ever do.

X-Com you were the best part of my gaming life, with you I lost my fear of the dark, with you I grew stronger and braver, in you lied my faith in mankind. Thank you X-Com for always sticking with me, thanks for helping me through light and dark, we've made it far, not far enough, not as far as I would've wanted, but we've reached the top of the mountain, and it can't get any higher than this, it is now time we take separate ways, you stay here at the top where you belong, above all other games, I shall go down, slowly, fight the apathy with your cheerfull warm memories at heart, for every single second of fun you provided me with I shall fight sadness and overcome dissapointment with the gaming industry, for I know you will be waiting for me, not in my hard drive, but in the afterlife, you and me shall meet once again, and I shall live for this day, do my best to be worth of you again, I shall earn it for you, for this I shall never consider suicide, I cannot rush it, I know I don't have that power, you are out of my reach for the time being, I will live through this and grow stronger, as we did together long ago.

Farewell, to all the members of this forum, I wish good luck with the games and enjoy all you can while you can, I shall now walk back upon the shadows of the lurking world and prepare myself for the long hard lasting journey ahead, with the X-Com flame inside me, I shall be able to overcome it and in the end, who knows, maybe one day I will return here with a hundred million dollars to announce I have bought the X-Com license and started the remake of Ufo and Tftd, untill then, Good-Bye X-com.

http://nouse.php4hosting.com/images/3/depression.jpg

Hey, there's no point in parting with X-Com, I'm sure there's more than one method to still play it.

I know ATI videocards can make your game crash, but still, there might be solutions.

How about DOSBOX, is it working?

Can you have dual boot with Win98?

Can you buy a $50 old junk Pentium?

I'm sure it's something.

Anyway, hopefully you'll manage to play it again :)

Don't give up! I used to be in your situation.

I recently got xcom apocalypse and i was unable to make it work until yesterday. make sure you use dosbox and increase the cycles. that could be a problem.

Just don't abandon xcom after all the years of joy it has give you. :(

• 1 month later...
Don't give up! I used to be in your situation.

I recently got xcom apocalypse and i was unable to make it work until yesterday. make sure you use dosbox and increase the cycles. that could be a problem.

Just don't abandon xcom after all the years of joy it has give you. :(

X-Com 1 and 2 works very well under DosBox, but I had to install X-Com 3 in my Win98 partition. It worked marvellously there.

Funny thing is, the windows version of X-Com 1 I found in a couple of abandonware sites didn't work very well, time went super fast and crashes a lot. I was lucky to find a DOS version of it elsewhere. And as for TftD, I've always had the DOS version on CD :)

Edited by dark2025