XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Cool Reaction Shots

Awww yeah reaction shots some like them some dont

but if you get a cool reaction shot post em here

MARK LOCATION (Country)

UFO TYPE (Size)

ALIEN TYPE

YOUR X-COM SQUAD ARSINAL (Heavy, Medium, Small)

mine is:

ARTIC

Large Scout

Sectoid

Medium

Ok mission started i landed right near the Cross shaped ufo

got out

8/10 of my guys got out

all under my SHIPS Cover of wheels

end my turn

Hear tons of foot steps and doors whoosing ( only 4 Doors inside of large scout)

alien turn ends

my turn

1 of my guys startes to walk over to the empty spot near the LEFT SIDE OF THE UFO BOTTOM SPOT!

end turn

2 aliens walk out of the edge of the ufo LEFT CROSS POINT

my guy fires

Miss

Fires

Miss

ALIEN FIRES

HIT

My guy fires HIT

1 alien gos back into shadows

other stays (OUT OF TU)

facing right

i shoot him

i prime grenade

i throw grenade

kills other alien

TURN END

then

near the door an alien steps out WAR BEGINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

alien fires repidly with his Plasma Rifle on auto fire

my guys fire back 1 by 1

alien fires auto at 1 guy in open killing him

other 1 of my guys fires INCINERARY Rocket at him killing him

on other alien walkes out with stun launcher

doesnt even get to fire or turn body

3 of my guys fire their Laser Pistols at the same time (NEVER SAW THIS BEFORE!!!! odd must be glitch cause disc is all scratched up)

alien dies MISSION ENDS

i give those reaction shots a 8/10 because some of them miss

SRY FOR LONG POST!

Ah reaction shots. A staple combat action that raises two important defensive stats. TUs and Reactions. Since I've used so many attacks of opportunity over the years, it would be impossible to recount any specific occasion.

I can name a few fun scenarios that are fresh in my mind.

One favourite is something like a soldier with a standard pistol using opportunity shot to pelt an alien to death from 19-20 tiles away. That's just within the soldier's visual radius in full daylight.

Or worse still, the ones that have no hope of working, but sometimes do. For example you start the turn with a series of aliens in front of you - then you end the turn right away. When you regain control, your soldier may be at deaths door, but there's a small heap of corpses lying around the soldier. This is a stupid way of doing it, but fun to watch if it succeeds. Not recommended for normal games for obvious reasons.

Bad reaction shots that miss their intended target, but end up dealing more damage to the alien forces as a whole. Like firing off a reaction shot at an alien only to hit the alien carrying a blaster launcher, or a leader sectoid (effectively reducing their psi advantage). This is especially relevant to the rocket launcher. Imagine firing a rocket, missing and and watch it fly off into the distance. Finally, it strikes a wall next to a small cluster of aliens. Brilliant. These shots make plain vanilla attacks of opportunity that connect on the first try look very boring in comparison.

- NKF

• 1 month later...

I got one better, and it just happened about five minutes ago(before I lost my squad AND my base a few "days" later).

USA

Large Scout

Sectoid

Medium/Heavy

I had the large scout surrounded, with my "sniper" and rocket-man about 8 squares away from the door, off at right angles, so there would have to be two reaction shots by the "little grey men" to kill them. Make a long story short, craft door opens. "Sniper" takes her shot, kills. Second sectoid takes it's shot, kills my sniper. Walks out the craft door. Rocket-man takes HIS shot, rocket MISSES the Sectoid and flies into the UFO, causing multiple deaths(at this time I was unaware of how many).

I kill the sectoid outside the craft, then make my way inside...to be greeted by three sectoid corpses, one of which had my favorite toy, a blaster launcher(would have been the next one out, btw).

I got killed by another Sectoid who was outside the craft(took my squad from behind...ewwwww - ugly mental picture :P ), so while it was a once-in-a-lifetime reaction shot, I at least got to see it happen. Now if only I could get half as lucky with life LOL!

Damn, I wish I could have recorded that shot, cause I STILL don't believe it happened.

Not to nit-pick, but aliens do not carry Blaster Launchers on any ships other than Battleships. (They also carry them on Alien and X-COM base missions as well as on Cydonia). Small Launchers yes, but not Blaster Launchers on a Large Scout. ;)

- Zombie

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The funniest reaction shots are those with explosions, sometimes good, sometimes bad. In my last game, I had a troop with a blaster launcher take out a snakeman with reaction fire. It was unreal. He was lucky to be alive, he was just outside the blast radius. Good times.

Bad times? Let's just say I get the feeling that AC-HE rounds are nice for some things, but largely overrated. My troop carrying the AC decided that it would be a cool idea to reaction shot the sectoid that stuck his head out of the large scout... forgetting that I had three guys right by the door ready to move in. All three died. Not cool at all, no sir.

Aye. When there is a chance of reaction shots, be careful of the weapons your guys are using. Area effect weapons can be dangerous as it catches multiple targets at once. Usually I dump the HE weapons for something a little more conventional like AP or Laser when my men are camped outside of a UFO. Of course, once you get Flying Suits the AC-HE rounds are great for storming a UFO. That armor is basically impervious so you can go in with your guns-a-blazin'! :)

- Zombie

But at that point if you have flying suits you probably have heavy plasma and inside UFO is all close range combat, so you are less likely to miss.

You are even less likely to miss with area effect weapons, and that has the bonus of hitting more than just the one target. Small packs of easy enemies like snakemen can be blasted to bits easily with a good burst from the autocannon - and with a power suits you can easily bathe yourself in your own explosions and not feel a thing. Even against mutons, they aren't too shabby.

You can also use it like grenades to hit enemies around corners that you know are there but cannot see. Plus you can take advantage of ceiling shots to neutralise any campers in the command deck of the larger ships.

Granted I wouldn't have everyone armed with one - I want some loot too. ;)

- NKF

UFO Type: None (Terror Mission)

Alien Type: Sectoid

X-Com Squad Arsenal: Medium

This is an old story... but anyways...

One of my guys walks out to be killed by an alien.

Another walks out to be killed by an alien.

I end the turn afraid.

Gunshots, civilians dying, the usual...

... but then a sectoid walks up to the craft,

throws a grenade inside which--

Guess what? Startles my rocket man.

He ends up killing over half

of the people in the ship.

So, the turn ends.

I kill the alien, move outside of my ship,

see one other alien but run out of TUs,

and end the turn.

I am greeted by the explosion of an alien grenade

which actually landed underneath the craft

which in turn kills the rest of my men.

I was young and dumb, and don't even know how it all happened. Thank you rocket man! Thank you!

Edited by Unique

:master: Good point!

You are even less likely to miss with area effect weapons, and that has the bonus of hitting more than just the one target. Small packs of easy enemies like snakemen can be blasted to bits easily with a good burst from the autocannon - and with a power suits you can easily bathe yourself in your own explosions and not feel a thing. Even against mutons, they aren't too shabby.

You can also use it like grenades to hit enemies around corners that you know are there but cannot see. Plus you can take advantage of ceiling shots to neutralise any campers in the command deck of the larger ships.

Granted I wouldn't have everyone armed with one - I want some loot too. ;)

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...

I 1st played XCOM:UFO in the mid-90's and now I got it back again;

On experienced difficulty, and a billion dollars to begin with, I was having no trouble thrashing the invaders.. Then the etherals came!

They came in May, I think. Now I cant remember if it was shot down, or apprehended. But what I do remember is I assigned my avenger (my only1) carrying all my highest rankerz.

supplyship.

Etheral.

sectopod

I wasn't aware lasers were needed for sectopod. And my cowards kept turning on his mates.

So I spread them from the start. Going past houses and shooting everywall so I could spot the lurking eth's.

When I finally came to the last (leader) eth', he took my Commanders mind and I shot him.

The de-breif screen came up and told me that Commander Ed Horton was MISSING IN ACTION!

poor poor Ed..