XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Anyone Know What Happened To X-command?

Spaceman42

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, didn't catch this topic. x-com.co.uk is not xcommand, but rather xcom tactical command. Here's a comment from XTC's main page:

"Site Downtime... Just a quick note to say that the nasty virus the swept the internet at the weekend was the cause of the downtime and much twiddling of thumbs by you die-hard forum regulars

Apparently, the congestion has only recently... erm... decongested, and it obviously affected a few internet exchanges near where this server is located.

Hope it doesn't happen again, if it does, there's not much I can do about it Have fun!"

xcommand is right here:
[url="http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~xcom/"]http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~xcom/[/url]

• 5 months later...
here's the site history ^_^ .

XCom was released about the same time as when the internet had started to become popular. The first major XCom presence online was Kasey Chang's Game Nexus site, which covered XCom. Kasey wrote a huge strategy guide for the game, and soon after wrote one for XCom: Terror From The Deep. XCommand, or rather 'that un-named XCom page', popped up in mid 1996.

In it's time, it was in charge of by Pete Shinners. Soon after Pete's site's release, XCom Apocalypse Web (now XCom Universe) and XCom Apocalypse Central came online. They were the best resources for XCom: Apocalypse on the net, although the newly renamed XCommand covered the news more. In late 1997/early 1998, the XCom scene had a very tough time. Pete was tired of XCom Apocalypse and moved on to a Grim Fandango site, Leo (the webmaster of XCom Apocalypse Central) couldn't continue his site because it wasn't generating enough revenue to pay the hosting bills, and Mack got bored of XCom Apocalypse Web.

This was about the time I popped up. I created an XCom site, where I posted my XCom Lego creations. I opened my site late January 1998, only a few days after I got the internet (I had previously accessed it at the library).

Soon afterwards, a group of XCom fans (including myself), who used to congregate on the XCom Apocalypse Central forums, decided to create a new super site: XCom Central. It was created, although updates were scarce, the huge team collasped, and eventually the site died (although it's still online today, somewhere). In the mid first half of 1998, I came across a stocks and shares forum discussing Microprose, and I noticed something called XCom: Alliance - I'd discovered a new game! Soon after, four screenshots were released at E3. That was an exciting moment. Soon afterwards, I emailed Pete Shinners, asking if I could salvage what I could of XCommand, and carry on the name. He said yes. I created XCommand: The Sectoid Haven, which had several different variations of names over time. Then Dave Ellis popped up, asking for user-input on XCom: Interceptor. The rest is history...

Late in 1998, it was announced that XCom 6, later revealed as XCom: Genesis, was being created, and it would be the XCom game we all wanted. It was not to be. In late 1999, Hasbro (who bought Microprose earlier that year) sacked the development team. XCom: Genesis was gone. A dream was over.

In 2000, we were all recovering from the shock. At least we had XCom: Alliance... Or do we? The word is that it too has been canned. So, now we're waiting for Dreamland, the Mythos Games project which will be XCom in spirit.

Guest Jim69
Yup, Alliance has been canned. BTW, I learned not too long ago something about Aftermath: All terrain is UNDESTROYABLE :o

Hardly in the spirit of X-Com, I much prefered creating my own route from A to B, and bringing down whole buildings was definatly fun in Apoc :LOL: