XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Some Are Born Killers.

Not sure if this is the forum this belongs in, but figured you guys may find this funny:

Some soldiers take dozens of missions to turn into the leather hide, tough as nails, chew you up and spit you out machines of destruction you see today.

http://www.itsclan.com/trooper.jpg

And others, are born with it.

http://www.itsclan.com/recon.jpg

Note the 4 missions, 22 kills. That's an average of 5.5 kills per mission. He's almost caught up with my highest kill count soldier (shown above), and he's only been on FOUR. Yes, FOUR missions.

The reason for this? Well, the T at the end of the name stands for "Trooper", the R stands for "Recon". Recon are the guys who start out with 60 TU's and high reaction scores (usually).. I send them infront of the pack and use Snipers and Troopers to pick off long range threats, or to bust through doorways and pick off immediate threats, then pop back out and let the troopers sweep the room for them. In other words, I use them as fodder.

Gorokhava has always been one of my favorite troopers.. A tough egg from the get-go, he surprised me with his ability to make his shots count and squeeze out of dangerous situations by the skin of his teeth..

Bouissou on the other hand didn't start out exceptional. He barely met my standards for a recon man, and really, the only reason I gave the position to him is because he had high TU and he was a rookie. 4 missions later he has the second highest kill count at that base. Sure, his stats aren't as impressive as Gorokhava's, and he doesn't have as much experience under his belt.. But I've never seen anybody walk out of (or into) so many sticky situations and somehow manage to mop the floor with any alien standing in his way with nothing but his trusty laser pistol, and alien grenades!

The last mission I took him on was a standard Supply ship raid.. Floater supply ship bounces onto my radar and I raid it while it's on the ground to keep it in tact.. I sent out my tanks first and scoped the area, cleaned it up, then punched a hole in the side of the supply ship with a blaster bomb for an alternative enterence.

Then, I send my two recon guys around the hole, supported by one trooper with high reactions.. End round, then have my recon step in to clear the area..

My first Recon guy steps in, kills a floater directly behind the wall next to the hole in the hull.. Then takes reaction fire from his other side, knocking his health down a bit.. I step him back out of the ship and call in a medic to patch him up. Meanwhile Bouissou steps in, takes out the floater that shot on his buddy.. Looks around a bit, seems clear, so steps back out.. End round, Bouissou heads back in, this time alone (his buddy is getting stitched up).. 2 Floaters by the lift, one facing Bouissou and takes a reaction shot, misses, second one standing on the lift itself looking in the other direction. Fire on the first, first shot drops him.. second two land in the wall behind him. Fire 3 more shots at the second floater, drop him as well..

A few rounds later, Bouissou is clearing the bottom level of the ship when he has a floater walk in the engine room door, fire three shots directly into him.. Bouisou takes NO REACTION FIRE, even though he had over 20 free TU's. Instead, he eats the plasma for breakfast, takes 0 damage from the whole flurry, the Floater about $h!ts a brick, and realizes he has no TU to run very far away with.. So he steps back out the door. My turn, Bouissou loops around the hole in the engine room walls made by the original blaster bomb, turns to the floater that just tried reading him his eulogy, and puts a burst of laser pistol shots into his back. Another notch on his helmet.

So, Bouissou calls in the reinforcements (as if he needed any), as the lower level is clear.. Next round he steps on the lift to see what's going on upstairs.. Strangely, he can't move up because there seems to be another floater standing above him trying to come down. I click the [1], Bouissou shoots up through the lift, circumsizing the non-genitilia having floater, and leaving him to lay on the cold steel UFO floor, questioning his reasoning for standing on the lift in the first place.

That was all for that mission.. The mission before was an alien base raid, where Bouissou threw an alien grenade ontop of a snakeman in one of the alien food display rooms. Little did he know, snakeman had 2 friends standing behind him. Chalk up another three kills for Frenchie.

I'm almost considering renaming him.

So, anybody else have similar stories/soldiers?

Edited by EtherImp

Same here--most of my original squad survived (somehow). My success story was simply in conserving precious TUs for reaction fire, only moving my guys maybe one or two squares ahead each turn when I know bad guys are about, and keeping them seperated just in case some alien schmuck tries to get wise in chuck a grenade. Usually, a marauding Muton that storms out of the UFO against a squad of soldiers without enough TUs to defend themselves means a couple needless casualties, but that same Muton who parades out the door to meet a squad of soldiers wielding Heavy Plasma rifles and lasers, with everybody packing enough TUs to squeeze off a couple of good shots... Well, let's just say that sticking to slower, more deliberate troop movement is the better tactic.

I still use 7 of my original squad, while, currently, the other 4 survivors remain hospitalized for a good while because of an incident involving a Sectoid and a blaster launcher. I finished the game, only to go back to an original save I had tucked away some time in early March, I reunited myself with my fallen squadmates (who hadn't exactly stayed alive in the previous game). Yoko Fujimoto, my primary starting badass who began with a respectable 65 TUs as a recruit, developed into a truly fearsome, rugged soldier, alongside Ivan Ivonovich--a commendably accurate, hardy trooper suited to playing with the big guns. The rest of them, Brett Davies, Shigeru Yamashita, and a few others, eventually grew into effective warriors, as well, through careful planning. Keeping your guys alive surely pays off, it seems.

At any rate, Yoko seems to have had the toughest time of all the X-Com soldiers, always seeming to get herself in and out of trouble in the blink of an eye. Yes, she's been shot more times than I can count, nearly blown up by a blaster bomb more than three times now, she's had grenades thrown at her--heck, she's even been shot a couple times by comrades going berserk. Yet, somehow, she survived it all--no reloading required ;) (I used to do that years ago, but now I realize that it defeats the purpose of the game).

Now if only Jungo hadn't taken a plasma burst in the face in the first mission, I'd really be in business...

What's rather ironic is that neither of these soldiers have the best stats, all around.. Yet they are both very good soldiers. One has been with me for a few months, the other for only 4 missions, and they both clean alien clock whenever the opportunity presents itself. I do have a couple of other reliable soldiers I like to take into battle, and a FEW soldiers who have been with me since the beginning (or darn close), but I have split them all up between my 3 strike bases to even out the ranks.. I don't like sending all Captains Colonals and Commanders into battle at once. And yes, you're right.. You have to save atleast a handful of TU's at the end of each turn. Another good idea is to keep your soldiers returning to cover at the end of each turn, and even better yet, have somebody designated to watch their back with full TU and high reactions. This almost gaurentee's a reaction shot.

Any of you have soldiers who just surprised the heck out of you with their excellence in battle, despite their stats? (Like Bouissou?) :)

I do remember this one guy--er, what was his name (he's dead now, to be sure)...? Uh...well, the guy had a good 50 TUs (not incredible, but not very good either), but, get this, 35 stamina. 35! That's terrible-rific! He would inevitably run out of energy every turn! Well, on one crash site mission, I left him to sit near the Skyranger, where he used reaction fire to take out 5 Snakemen by himself before getting killed. A suprisingly heroic way to go, huh? Oh, and let's not forget about good ol' Siggy (who I haven't gotten on this second run-through, unfortunately).

• 10 months later...
i routinely get men with a firing accuracy of over 75 - thats some hard core rookies. seems the tradeoff is that there all girl's blouses

• 5 years later...

Honestly?

I don't get many born killers.

Last full runthrough a while back I did get a heck of a born survivor.

Lyudmila Andianov. Got her in my first batch of ten. Matter of fact, she was the first of my first batch. 1A on the Skyranger in my second attempt at an ironman game. Now, that should be a death sentence.

Only it isn't. Even gets promoted the first time out. And, despite being my first responder to, well, pretty much anything, she doesn't bite it. Base raids, fine, UFOs, fine, everything, just fine.

This includes one of the standard disasters, the first big Sectoid terror mission. 50% fatalities, leaving the tank out of the math to keep it simple. One of the survivors spent the whole mission wetting himself in a corner. Two died on routine outings not long after. The commander spent the whole thing fighting.

Next mission, though, is the one that confirmed the immortality. First Snakeman terror of the run. Night mission. Fortunately, I have 2 sets of flying armor and a tank. Unfortunately, the tank dies to reaction fire right off the ramp, and one of the two people in flying armor only has one mission under his belt. I then send the commander down the ramp.

The reaction fire bends around her and instakills the poor schmuck behind her. So, I got two guys to go into the field, while my Colonel, this crazy ruskie who murdered a fellow X-Com operative in cold blood in one of his first missions, watches the skyranger. Since I got only 2 troopers, I do sniper/scout. Only, I make the dumb mistake of having the vet be the scout, and the rook the sniper. Commander gets tagged every few turns, but it's all quickly patched, making good progress.

Then the rook gets tagged. Once. Crumples like a newspaper. Commander wipes out the last few snakes in a minimart to win the day, no trouble.

Needless to say, she survives to Cydonia. And brings a blaster-bomb launcher.

best rookie ever met?

hmm ... actually I play ironman most of the time now

so it doesn't really matter to me if it is super-soldier or just an poor one

every one has it uses, even as a expendable ;)

I remember from memory, its stats were:

firing acc: 70 ( max -> ...... ) I prefer snipers :) right afer psi ^_^

strength: 39 ( 40 is max ) high explosives heavily are used by me

psi strength 99 ( 100 is max ) no comments :D

and ... no, he ( or she can't remember ) didn't survive much, about 5-6 missions

cause was slaughtered in blaster bomb explosion on alien terror mission with ethereals

yarrow

• 9 months later...