Photo

When they made X-Com, they just got it right...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 frighteous

frighteous

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:53 AM

when x-com was designed and made, it was one of those things in life they just did the right way, and as a result, us super geeks relish 15-20 years later replaying the single player game in a multi player world. That's how good x-com was and is, the only other game that I like as much in terms of uniqueness and originality is everquest, and it's funny because so many other games have tried to emulate both xcom and eq, heh...

Well, here's to hoping they come out with another game similar to x-com,

random events
alien bases
soldiers improving
panic, berserk
night/day
make soldiers have real attachment as the game goes on, as in ufo 1...stats all must be raiseable and promotions frequent..this is why xcom1 is scary

Okay, and as my first post I'd like to just say, I am addicted to X-Com on such an unhealthy level that I actually told my girlfriend of about a month now, that "I'm installing X-Com on your laptop honey, don't worry I'm only going to play for like 45 minutes..."

Haha :)

#2 Fomka

Fomka

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:41 AM

Hello!

...replaying the single player game in a multi player world. ...

May be your addiction to UFO 1 can be cured by another X-COM remake :)
If you are interested in replaying the game as Alien against human (not AI) opponent, there is UFO: The Two Sides project.

#3 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:52 AM

To be honest, this game is bug ridden and doesn't quite do a lot of things right or in a logical manner. It gets a lot of stuff wrong. But that's something a fan is allowed to say. ;)

Yes, definitely room for improvement but I agree it still manages strike a nice balance of game elements that keeps up coming back to it. It's simple yet complex. Complex yet simple.

Have you noticed how they leave out a lot of stuff that's present in other games, like personalities for the individual units, and for the most part a story (or at least a scripted narrative). Because there are these gaps, our mind fills in them for us. Imagination's a powerful thing.

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 05 April 2011 - 02:54 AM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#4 yarrow

yarrow

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:57 AM

I tend to agree with NKF

unfortunately XCOM 1 and especially XCOM2 are buggy :(
some bugs CAN even prevent you from completing the game !!!
see ufopaedia.org for details :)

I my opinion both games are sooooo ( :D ) replayable because of ... the randomness

- missions seems to be similiar to each other ... but are not exactly the same
each simple grenade thrown can end with slightly or totally different grenade position

- the same with soldier stats/names
- ............. with alien executing their missions ( like terror missions )

( this list could go on here <_< )

thats what makes the difference, and so much fun
at least to me ^_^

yarrow

#5 oldfan

oldfan

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

Hopefully UFO 2 Extraterrestrial will be a good game and similar to X-Com

#6 Sorrow

Sorrow

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

I started playing it again and I have to say that I'm shocked that over a decade no one managed to at least recreate the atmosphere and gameplay of X-Com 1/2. New games manage to get everything except the interface worse.

#7 itworks

itworks

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

I started playing it again and I have to say that I'm shocked that over a decade no one managed to at least recreate the atmosphere and gameplay of X-Com 1/2. New games manage to get everything except the interface worse.

It's almost two decades though.

1994 + 17 = 2011

The classics from the 90s are still unsurpassed. Not only talking about X-Com now. I guess it has something to do with the intense commercializiation and the move towards consoles.

#8 Sorrow

Sorrow

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

It's almost two decades though.

1994 + 17 = 2011

The classics from the 90s are still unsurpassed. Not only talking about X-Com now. I guess it has something to do with the intense commercializiation and the move towards consoles.

This too. But unlike with the others, X-Com isn't dependent on giant budgets. And yet people who try to make new X-Com games either make low profile engine emulators that never get finished or make remakes with poor graphics, poor mechanics and poor atmosphere in general. They seem to be unable to graps what made X-Com good. It's probably because they haven't played Laser Squad.

#9 SSFSX17

SSFSX17

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:30 AM

After playing the original for a few hours today, as well as having played and finished many of the successors, I think the best thing about the original X-COM is that it does not try hard to force the player to play the game in a certain way.
- If you consider troops expendable, you can play the game that way. If you want to protect your troops and cultivate veterans, you can play that way too.
- If you want to rely on pleasing countries to raise money, the game supports this. But, if you want to focus on a core area and sell alien artefacts and laser cannons for money, the game lets you play this way too thanks to the score system.
- If you like using accurate fire from long ranges while kneeling in cover, the game's rules support this. But, if you want to just use a lot of heavy weapons and blaster bombs, the game's rules support this too.
- Maybe you will get lucky and discover how to use psi-amps before meeting any powerful psionic aliens. Or, maybe you will get unlucky and meet a dozen Chryssalids on a routine terror mission.
- The fact that a single-battleship-capture game has been done by somebody shows how flexible the game can be. In the remakes, such as for example UFO: Extraterrestrials, such a game would be impossible since they have more strict rules for escalating the alien war effort.
- Last but not least, the original X-COM is like a quick roguelike / coffee-break game once you understand it. The remakes tend to be focused on being serious "balanced" games that require you to think hard.

Even so, the fact that there is effectively a whole genre of X-COM-like games, produced largely by fans, can only be a good thing. The remakes are fun in their own way.

#10 Sorrow

Sorrow

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:08 AM

After playing the original for a few hours today, as well as having played and finished many of the successors, I think the best thing about the original X-COM is that it does not try hard to force the player to play the game in a certain way.
- If you consider troops expendable, you can play the game that way. If you want to protect your troops and cultivate veterans, you can play that way too.

From what I've seen, a lot of remakes tries to force the cultivate veterans option - with stuff like immortal soldiers or simply making the game much less deadly.

Last but not least, the original X-COM is like a quick roguelike / coffee-break game once you understand it. The remakes tend to be focused on being serious "balanced" games that require you to think hard.

I've noticed that X-Com1 is much quicker to play than let's say Apocalypse. Unlike Apocalypse it doesn't try to force players to do several tactical missions a day.