1) Mind Shield trick is your friend, though even at 200 defense (cap) you can still be panicked.
2) Don't teleport when something has done a psionic attack on you. I did this and it caused me to be permanently panicked and unable to kill the psionic mob, and in building 2 it caused the Psimorphs to stun me. So far the Micronids favor panick while the Psimorphs favor stun (and yes they can stun you even with 200 psi defense).
3) Vortex Mines are great for shutting down the alien reinforcement pods. While you will need one mine per pod generally, shutting off reinforcements can make things a LOT easier on longer missions.
4) Entropy Pods/Dimension Missles have a very high turn rate. If you try to teleport before they connect and you don't do so behind a thick wall then the chances are high it will manage to turn around and hit you (I figured the turn rate would be slow and it would hit the wall while turning, silly me).
5) Carry a second Toxigun on you. Personally I did the first mission with only one, but there were times where having a second one would have made it a LOT easier to mow down the 5+ aliens that appeared (will also help deal with megaspawn when you fight them).
6) You don't need to max out your invin with Toxigun clips. For the first mission I only used 5 clips (the one in the gun and then 4 from my belt), and while later missions will have more aliens, you can sacrifice some clips for things like grenades to make the mission easier.
7) Bring at least 2 teleporters. This will allow you to make a quick retreat if needed, or allow you to teleport in, waste several aliens (like by dropping a mine or pulling out the second gun and laying down some heavy fire), and then teleporting out if you get overwhelmed.
8) Remember that the aliens have gear too. This means you can kill one, and then use their mine/cannon to destroy objectives or reinforcement pods. Also great for replacing a worn shield or spent teleporter rather than waiting for yours to recharge (or if it gets destroyed for the shield).
9) Micromanage your targets. Psionic targets should be first due to the danger of being panicked, followed by things with entropy pods and dimension launchers, and then pretty much anything else. Brainsuckers/Poppers should be ignored until they are fairly close to you (thanks to how fast the toxigun fires you can stop a brainsucker that is only one tile away from you, or one that is jumping in the air towards you. Poppers need to be stopped a bit farther out due to the fact that the explode at 1-2 tiles out).
10) The Marsec chest is great. It greatly increases mobility (something needed with a 1man army) and allows you to save your teleporter charges for when you really need them
I'll post some more tactics as I learn them and I'll try to upload a saved game of each building so that people can try out the one-man assaults.
Edited by Aknazer, 03 February 2009 - 04:55 AM.