XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Abort Mission

Do you 'really' use abort button?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Judging from "How often do you load" thread lots of people load their games after each human death. I heard about things like "Turn 1st, I leave skyranger, scope Ethereals... I think I'll try to fight them. Alien Turn: MCing, lots of dying, berserking. Turn 2: I hit abort button". Personally I hit "Abort button" even in the 1st turn, to minimize my loses, or rather to avoid them. Sometimes I just know I have no chance to beat the enemy, and it's better for me to escape.

TFTD seemed to be really tough, and had really twisted Tech Tree. It happened to me to kill aliens/stun them at terror sites, and just return to base, because they were necessary for my research. (Deep One corpse for Aqua Plastics :cussing:)

I only click the abort button when I need to get somewhere (such as an alien artifact site or Cydonia. :D)

Sometimes I misclick the abort icon, when I'm really trying to end the turn, but I can't help that. :)

i click the abort mission when i'm down to my last soldier and i don't want to lose the skyranger. soldiers are only $40 000, but a skyranger is $600 000!

Losing points depends on what type of mission it is. Terror missions and TFTD's artefact sites cost you points if you retreat.

There is one peculiar use of the dust off command. If your base gets attacked and you know you will never be able to protect it, surrendering will actually minimise your losses. When a base is lost, everything just vanishes and your score is not penalised. The only negative scores you'll get will be from losing your soldiers. So if you surrender, the base just vanishes. Fight and the base vanishes and you'll also suffer points for every soldier lost.

Evacuating from a mission has a number of uses.

- You're facing an enemy that's far superior than you are. (darts vs. lobstermen, for example).

- You're abandoning all the goodies and aliens in the field to abduct an alien (like a snakeman navigator, or something important like the deep-one).

- You just cannot be bothered with the mission.

- You're doing so bad that you just want to save the Avenger.

- You're stealing a new weapon sample that you don't have yet. (such as DPL launchers in TFTD. Just grab one from a colony, unload it and dust off).

- You're performing a surgical strike on an alien base populated with a species you don't like (such as ethereals). You just go in, blow up the command tables, and get out. Mission over.

- You're raiding a base/colony for resources or just for the experience.

- The Last Alien Syndrome. Just gather everything you can, and drag all the unconscious aliens you want captured back to the ship/exit pads and dust off.

The only time you do NOT want to abort is at the last mission, unless you're doing it to move a small team through to the next area.

- NKF

one soldier left never works for me, as he/she is usually panicking like crazy and ends up running towards mortal danger. :chickenrun:

I mostly abort to minimize my losses against Sectiods/Cyberdisks in the early game and Ethereals when I can't handle them yet.

There is a way to keep that last agent in the skyranger.

Weigh him down with really heavy equipment. Dual Autocannons, plus 1 in the backpack? He's not going anywhere. ^_^

• 4 months later...
Easy Question. The Transport must be saved and everybody else is expandable. only the pilot (aka last person alive) gets to be a mouse and run. It would be better if they made an option for reinforcements because when i realy get going in a base i usually have 2 transports so you should be able to send the second one out to help.

Yeah, well, it's pretty easy to know if you're losing the mission... Once half the team is knocked out, it's a matter of deciding if you can do it with what's left... I usually spend far more money replacing tanks than skyrangers... I end up selling my first skyranger once I have 2-3 Avengers... :D

I guess aborting a mission is only good when you have no chances of winning: eg. unbeatable ennemy with your tech level, or no more amno, or if you only got 1-2 men standing... But that should be extremely rare, as even a blaster bomb can't kill all your guys once they're deployed...

i never retreat i will stay untill all my men are either under alian control or dead :explode: . If i only have one man left i will run him back to the sky ranger and wait for the alian bastereds to come and get me you can win that way it ups your odds just that tinny little bit

Yep, Never give up! Never Surrender!! :D

The only thing I found problematic with this tactic, is that you can't abort the mission if there's an alien standing on the landing pad... ^_^

So you gotta make sure they DON't stay alive that close...

And be prepared to wait out a few hundred turns... That is, unless your guy gets MCed first... :LOL:

Has anyone thought of how retreating can be used to your advantage? Not every 'victory' has to be with total annihilation.

No?

Oh forget it then. ^_^

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I was going to use abort (for the first time) a couple of weeks ago but the last few soldiers died just a turn before they could get to the skyranger.

I thought it was quite funny as it was so unpredictable so i might as well tell the tale:

It was my first mission with the Snakemen for my superhuman game and unfortunatly it was a terror site at night :whatwhat:.

But things went well for the first dozen turns. Killed alot of snakemen with minium loses and have secured nearly the whole map with only that market type building to explore.

I then began to think "Where the heck are all the civilans? and what about those sneaky chryssalids??!"

The next few turns i proceded to the market building and saw a chryssalid lurking behind a few vegatable stalls in the dark. "ah" i thought "The last alien i believe".

I got my rocketman and decided to nuke the room so the rest of my guys can shoot him without scenary being in the way. Well the chryssalid died with no problems and i proudly pressed the end turn button waiting for the victory screen.

Instead it went to the "Enemy turn" screen to my amazement :huh: . Soon it showed swarms of chryssalids coming through the market door zombiving around 4 of my 9 soldiers :cussing: . I then knew what happened to those poor 10 civilians :whatwhat:

I then had to look at the sad situation, That im going have to fight around 15 chryssalids in order to win. I knew that was going to be nearly impossible with only 5 soldiers armed with 4 rifles, 1 rocket launcher with 1 grenade and high explosive each.

I began to fall back with my troops laying traps like timed explosives so i can atlest slow down the swarm. It wasn't much of a success as all it did was rip the zombies skins off and killed 2 damaged chryssalids.

A few turns later with only a few squares from the skyranger with now only 3 soldiers alive with hardly any ammo left. I decided it was time to just run(every man for themselves) and didn't bother wasting TUs shooting with the few bullets they have left.

Well lets just say chryssalids liked the taste of fast food :LOL: .