XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND - C MUSIC - Ufo Defense Battlescape Remake

ATeX

Just a simple example of what I think how battlescape music should sound. I didn't have very much time and because of that it has been made in about 1 hour. I tried to make it as freaky and open as possible to be supplementary for the whole battle scene. Try to picture it with those brand new graphics on the battlescene in the middle of the night.

It is based on the X-Com Ufo Defense BattleScape Song. I only used Absynth 2 and Cubase in case u want to know. But still, there's still very much to work on.

And please, listen to this with good speakers (and a good subwoofer). Very Important!! :wink: I made this with studio monitors and if u listen to it thru bad computer speakers, u won't notice the details :Blush:

EDIT:

MP3: ATeX - BattleScape v0.1

OGG: ATeX - BattleScape v0.1

Edited by ATeX

OMG you are a genius!! VERY nice! This is just excellent! And it brings great memorys of first feelings from ufo defense! :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master:

Very nice, I like the effects! It reminds me more of the music in X-com Apocalypse actually.

Hey a little of topic comment in here, however pretty important. Are you Sound Department guys uploading the sources of the music you make to the server??? That is really important, the same for specific samples you make and that.

Edit: BTW I am listening to it and it is very good. Loved the detail.

Greetings

Red Knight

Edited by red knight

OK, we need to seek no further, the winner is now known :)

Aaaahh, the joys of playing the old dos-version in the dark, with your fragile soldiers hunting some aliens in the jungle at night... :wub:

It's all coming back to me now :)

Now y'all know: Belgium = quality (well, at least occasionally :D )

Yeah, ATeX really has just what Xenocide needs :)

How big was that song file? I don't remember. Anyways I think it should be halved and made so that it loops well?

Yep, I'm very sorry but that song is a perfect loop -_- . It has been exported in Cubase which exports it's selection exactly to the millisecond :wink:

Maybe ur mp3 player is the guilty factor. Try something else. My wavefile loops like nothing else. :rolleyes:

Something very important now: the player may not get used to the sound. Therefor it is very important that a song is long enough and that it is very difficult to memorize.

I made a second version now. It's about the double of the previous one and counts about 8.08 minutes. I put some more effects in the second half. The first half is almost the same as the first version. Try it on a battlescape environment to see how it works ;)

OGG: ATeX - BattleScape v0.2

It's my player then, damn! :cussing:

Well anyways does anyone have an idea how to get that song working on previous ufos? That would be nice since I have no music on apoc now.

Second version sounds very good too, but i have few suggestions. U could add panning to the bass line and little less sound effects, they kind of lose their "scaryness" when they are played so frequently.

Just remember that remixes/remakes cannot be used in game due copyright issues. So make little chances to the basic tune, then i dont have any objections of using it ingame.

Nyyperoid. Just play it in winamp at the back round :) . I know its lame, but i dont think that there is any other way.

Edited by Raven Squad

Hmm.. Would it be hard to program (with visual basic for example) a "play" button which is always on top of every program. When you would push it, that song would start playing in loop and the button would change to "stop" button which would stop it when you push it. I bet this would be very easy! I'm solving this! (maybe not) Would someone be up to it? That would be simple solution to this..

Remixes can't be used, that's true. But keep in mind that a repetitive bassline can't be copyrighted. Especially one like this. So normally there won't be a problem with this one :)

I'll put some more time between the effects, great comment btw

The scaryness gets bigger when u hear something when u're not ready for it. Good point :D

A bassline however, may never be panned. I learned that from the very beginning I was mixing music. Read whatever that has got something to do with good mixing and they'll say that u may never put a direction to low frequenties. Maybe something else? :wink:

Maybe at least wait for the final version? :wink:

Fine, thanks. Of course I will add the author of the track and a link to projectxenocide to the credits section of the game manual :)

I'm sorry, don't want to add extra work for you, but is it possible to have a version of this track with reduced quality but also much smaller size with little or no effort?

The point is that its current size is larger than UFO2000 distributive plus data files from both original x-com and tftd demos :)

So I have an idea of including a smaller version in the main distributive, but it will be possible to optionally download a full version of battlescape track.

I have little knowledge about making music and formats for storing music, so maybe my question is silly, but can there be a MIDI version of this track, seems like MIDI files are much smaller?

Serge on the other side, using Midi will be far difficultier to integrate in code (unless you already have that ready) cause Ogg after the decompression step is raw audio... using the OggVorbis library for streaming is very simple just take a look at the sound manager in the old xenoengine code... And there are lots of other very nice audio libraries like FMod that do that job for you.

Greetings

Red Knight

Edited by red knight

Serge on the other side, using Midi will be far difficultier to integrate in code (unless you already have that ready) cause Ogg after the decompression step is raw audio... using the OggVorbis library for streaming is very simple just take a look at the sound manager in the old xenoengine code... And there are lots of other very nice audio libraries like FMod that do that job for you.

We already have support for MIDI files, you have guessed right :) But MIDI support is not perfect in Linux (for example when your soundcard does not have hardware midi, you will not hear anything), and MIDI format has some limitations as ATeX explained. Ogg vorbis is great for sound effects, but maybe it is a bit redundant for music.

Thanks for the information about FMod, it looks very cool at least from its description. It supports many formats and I will give it a try.

HMmm, yes, u can never get that quality with a medium general midi soundfont bank and a MIDI file. That's true. I'll make it less long and compress it more. How long do u want it to be?

If I get it right, sound track consists from some repetitive samples. Maybe there is some other format for storing music that is very compact, has a good quality and no restrictions such as MIDI? I have heared something about MOD, STM and other formats for storing music, how good or bad they are?

Well, I want a sound track that would sound good enough when played repetitively, with prefered size something about 500KB - 1MB. It can be done either by reducing the length of the track or by using lower bitrate or both. That will be a basic low quality sound track with the possibility to add a better music to the game by downloading optional sound pack (with no restrictions on size or bitrate).

Format is not that important, I think MP3 or OGG would be fine. But I still have a hope for some miracle and a more compact format for storing music :)

I would recomend using midis for the small soundtrack. IMO size 500-1000kb is enough for one mp3/ogg :) . Not whole soundtrack. Forget mods and all tracker modules if u dont know any skilled trackers.

500-1000KB was a pessimistic estimation (given that the size of current soundtrack is about 6MB)

Surely, the smaller size would be even better, 200KB is the size that would satisfy me completely (for a low quality version of the soundtrack) :)

Or maybe it is possible to break this track into a number of smaller chunks that can be played in some order?

Just checked FMOD library. It is really very easy to use and I can play just almost any audio format with only about 10 lines of code! But I don't quite like its license and the fact it is not open source. Another alternative I have found is DUMB library with OGG support plugin, it also can play lots of MOD-alike audio formats. It is somewhat more difficult to use, but I don't think it can be a problem. So I can add support for soundtrack in almost any format to ufo2000 in less than a day as soon as it is ready :)

FMOD library has one more cool feature, it can support OGG encoded samples in XM files. So it is possible to reduce the size of such soundtracks even more!

Is creating tracking music so different from what you are using for making music now (that's only a question, nothing more, OGG format is just fine for me)?

yes, it is a very very very big difference. I've worked with trackers a small time. But I almost instantly changed to Cubase the moment I got that program (that's about 7 years ago) So, for the moment I'm using Reason and Cubase with every kind of source of sound u can imagine

Here's a pic of what I got for the moment, all payed by working as a waiter :s

LOL atex you must be a good looking girl who gets a lot of tips then :wink:

What tracker can use ogg files?

I don't know if any tracker can use ogg encoded files, but files created by fasttracker2 (XM-format) can be conerted to OXM format with a tool from FMOD library. They usually become much smaller and can be played by any program using FMOD library.

Here is a link to FMOD download page: http://www.fmod.org/ifmoddownload.html

Search for oggmod.zip, it is a convertor. Resulting OXM-files can be played by FMOD media player, which can be downloaded from the same page.

I don't know if any other program can use these OXM files though, so keeping original XM files will be required, and they should be converted to OXM only when packaging them in the game distributive.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

I have just released a new version of UFO2000 which uses your soundtrack.

Please check AUTHORS file in UFO2000 distributive, your name is added there but if you want something to change, just let me know :)

I can't play ogg files :crying:

And I'm not installing that stupid winamp!