XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Unknown Weapons?

Ok, picture this. Some dude has never heard of a grenade. Ever. Then one explodes near him. He'd be absolutely terrified. Now apply this to the game...

Someone in another topic suggested three topics per gun. Use, principle, and manufacture. Use and manufacture had uses, but what about principle? Other than opening up the other two, it doesn't seem to be any use. Maybe alien weapons that have not been researched in such a way cause a slightly greater morale hit when an ally is killed, or when the soldier is injured by them. When the principle of the gun is understood, then this morale penalty is removed. This would potentially simulate the fear caused when the guy next to you is vaporized by a green blast of light from a weapon you don't understand. I don't see any problem with this, aside from the possibility of rookies panicking faster. Just don't get them killed so fast.

Any thoughts?

Understand your point here... But then again, Soldiers are very well trained to keep cool even if they are fighting something they don't really know what is. Panic? Sure I am in the Army myself and I know for sure that I would not enjoy seeing a pal get turned into sludge from a plasma blast. But then again, would I panic? Or would I fight harder? In an X-Com point of view, you are fighting something unknown, and you know that if you lose, the world is doomed. Could it not be made a random thing instead?

While I was writing this I started to think about the ranks.... What about making abilities for people with rank? Like to inspire moral, give certain modifiers and such?