XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND - Music Asset List

Raven Squad

Okey Xcen made somekind of list what music is needed, but i cant find it. So i made list what music is required. :boohoo:

-[b]Intro Music[/b]

Have to wait till intro is done, then implement music to it

-[b]Main Menu Music/Other Menu music[/b]

WIP by me

-[b]Planetview [/b]

Done

-[b]Interceptor battle music[/b]

Done

-[b]Base view music[/b]

Free

-[b]Xenopaedia Music[/b]

Done

-[b]Entering ground battle[/b]

WIP by Xcen

-[b]Ground battle[/b]

Done

-[b]Entering Terrorsite/alienbase[/b]

Free

-[b]Groundbattle win[/b]

Free

-[b]Groundbattle lose[/b]

Free

-[b]Total Loss[/b]

Have to wait till loss video is done, then implement music to it

-[b]Total Victory[/b]

Have to wait till victory video is done, then implement music to it

-[b]Final battle[/b]

free

-[b]Credits[/b]

Done

quick edit:
Just noticed that i have given wrong impression with this done and free system. In my head i just thought everybody knew what i was thinking :Blush: .Xenocide will use more than one song and that done means that there is atleast one song for that event. So u can make varios battlescape song or interceptor songs , tho filling the gaps is our main concern now. Edited by Raven Squad

If anyone would like to hear my few songs, please let me know. They are mostly instrumental, some are completely. I created them using eJay, so if anyone has eJay Dance 4, I can send the origianal code, which is only kb, not mb in mp3 format. Also, then you can tinker around with it. I have created some with eJay SE2, which came on a demo disc from PC Format November 2001, if that helps. They all are dance songs; I only have 3 basic songs so far, but I have vastly modified them into almost different songs.

It is just that ejays music isnt copyright free. Samples in that program is copyright protected if i remember correctly. If u used ur own samples that would totally different story.

I know music isn't my forte but if might it be best to stay away from metal/rock as a lot of people aren't into it. I don't know how many games have had a successful time with metal/rock in the soundtracks as they're usually really crap. Not saying that stuff submited to xenocide will be but we have to cater for everybody's tastes so it's probably better to use stuff that no one will mind listening to.

You're all gonna think, hah Deimos hates rock/metal but you'd be wrong ;) I'm a big fan of all types of music, it's just the one type that of music that has made otherwise good games sound cheesy is metal. Some recent examples would be the new Mechwarrior game on the xbox, certain driving games 'feature' metal type music. I don't know why but as game music Metal just doesn't work.

If possible can we stick with a militaristic instrumental industrial style and work from there?

For the intro, the best thing to do with it would be to wait till we've got visuals so whoever writes the intro music can score it to the visual. Same thing goes for any of the other cut-scenes and outro movies.

Entering ground battle I think would be best suited to a pre mission build up music that plays on a sense of tension. Something that says 'come on, hurry up the aliens are attacking'. Tense but not too fast.

Battlescape music I think would be best suited by an 'adaptive mix' (for those not up to speed on the term look in the other thread to the links on gamasutra). Firstly starts out with a tension building dark 'go find the bugs' which would switch to 'oh crap' music when you spot an alien and so on.

I agree that a terrorsite mission should be fast paced and high tension music, but I think that alien base music should be 'ailen'. Something that un nerves the player, soft low key stuff maybe even in a different key to the other music. Just something to really weird the player out. Make it feel like they really don't want to be there.

The one thing I see missed here is the Mars base, For that I'd reckon a variation on the alien base music would work, only more alien. We'd need two variations on that one for the above ground battle and one for the inner base music. Something that would counterpoint the game over music or the game win music.

If anyone has played Alien vs. Predator and Doom on the playstation and listened to the music in those, I think music in that sort of style would be incredible for alien bases and the Mars base.

Oh right, oh well. I was just cooking up a great 'alienifyied' piece of music too. Oh well, I may submit it as a 'could have been' later in the day.

HANG ON!!!!!!

I have dug out the manual, and it reads, ahem:

'You may claim ownership to the composition of such Derivative Works created by you with the Software and are entitled to make such Derivative Works available to the public, however you are NOT entitled...' to sell it or otherwise.

Basically, it should be ok to use in Xenocide, because it is not for sale??

Well Dipstick :) if u hold copyrights then it is possible to use it in Xenocide. U should save it as ogg and post in Music section. Info about can ogg can be found from [url="http://www.vorbis.com/"]http://www.vorbis.com/[/url] . Then we can listen if u got what it takes :) .

Deimos yes i forgot about mars base adding it now. Edited by Raven Squad

personaly, i hate heavy metal music, and such. NO offence, music is music. But heavy metal just don't fits as bagground music. Like in X-com: EU, geoscape music, when it suddenly gets the bursts, i could get crazy by that.

Don't take it wrong, i love rock music, but not heavy. Acturly, there are a few heavy songs, that i find good, but they are not bagground music. Edited by mikker

Okey no metal or rock, but can we have electric quitars pleeeease :D ?

So we arent good enough to images, movies, [b]MUSIC[/b], sounds, discussion :P ? Well back to my dark corner :) .

hehe electric guitars are ok.

Just not too crazed. You know, it IS possible to make classic music on an electric guitar` ^_^

Yeah too much heavy music will make most people crazy. I think: shoot for more atmospheric music,
but add more upbeat/heavy elements into intermediary parts (going into the alien base/crash etc). I'm
coming up with a somewhat heavy trance track with the interceptor battles in mind (no guitar in it
so far though). It would probably be best if we stick to a very ambient soundtrack for the geoscape
and battlfield. I think the song included with the demo is a very good baseline.

One difference I was considering was changing the Cydonia battlescape music around to:

Marscape: Ambient (very alien sounding with a touch of militaristic drums)
Alien Command: Hard Trance (melodic with touches of guitar, and also somewhat militaristic)

I think changing the music on the last mission makes it stand out more.
:rock:

• 1 month later...
I was just reading about Bjorn Lynne, who's making the music for Worms 3D.
And "TEAM 17" says:

[i]"- Bjorn has been careful to avoid thick textures or 'walls of sound' which are very tiring on the ears in the long run. So the production is fairly sparse and it even goes completely quiet for a second or two occasionally."[/i]

Mayby that is something we should keep in mind, not tiering our ears to much
:explode:

I was hoping that we would use a more classical piece as intro music. I think that it gives a lot more atmosphere than a trace song.Trance can put of a lot of people too, you know.

I agree with Jolly. Quiet periods can be used when everything is very tensed, and "walls of sound" should be avoided at all costs. WOS also removes the dark atmosphere, in my option.

[quote name='Cubik' date='Jul 22 2003, 06:28 AM']I was hoping that we would use a more classical piece as intro music. I think that it gives a lot more atmosphere than a trace song.Trance can put of a lot of people too, you know.

I agree with Jolly. Quiet periods can be used when everything is very tensed, and "walls of sound" should be avoided at all costs. WOS also removes the dark atmosphere, in my option.[/quote]

I agree with the possibility of using more orchestrated (as in
similar to classical) music, but trance has it's places too. Of
course if we wanted to be like all of the game developers, we
could make it all alternative and a few years from now, it would be
like what watching the Transformers movie is like now. Better
with the volume all the way down. But then again.. Toto might
do it for free now.

My point is, any type of music will put some people off. The best
thing to do is try to match the style to what is needed.
Something that many classic video/computer games got right that
is sorely lacking these days is making the music stand out when
it should and fade to the background when it should do that.

I'm not sure if I can think of any realistic alternative to trance
for upbeat music. Trance can be very dark.. check out LSG/Oliver
Lieb and Tim Shuldt. -Chris

• 1 month later...
Just read all this post coz I am bored until my bath runs, classical is fine 4 atmos. When it comes 2 interceptor battles it doesn't work so well, however it is possible. The best examples of music are often in films that don't have a 16 song completly unrelated soundtrack, also in MGS2. They use the same methods in both, and films like the ones I am talking about ( can't think of 1 off hand ) set the atmos the best, so maybe a little research into this kinda thing would be good. I'll try and think of a film that had good scores in it. And any metal would do my head in, tho I doubt we can sneak ne of my music in either, D&B and Hiphop don't fit in well with an alien game -_-

A film with a GREAT soundtrack would be 'A Clockwork Orange' by Stanley Kubrick (is that one still forbidden in the UK film theatres?) Another one would be 'Lost Highway' by David Lynch, and my third pick would be either 'Seven Samurai' by Akira Kurosawa, or 'Apocalypse Now' by Francis Ford Coppola. Plenty of others, I know, but for the kind of atmosphere we're trying to get I think these come close.

edit : of course, the dune2 music would be great too :naughty: . Edited by j'ordos

Heh, it was, it got rereleased about 2 years ago. That is one quality film :LOL: Doubt we could include a Singing In The Rain whilest beating a Sectoid with a comically shaped statue tho :LOL:

Apocalypse Now did have good music, I may ave 2 dig that out and watch it again sometimes coz the theme is simular, like dealing with insanity and the stresses of war etc.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I think my Xenocide2 sample could fit the Groundbattle win scene and my Xenocide1 sample could fit Entering Terrorsite/alienbase or Cydonia. What do you think? I might have to make them a little shorter though since the scenes aren't very long, or maybe it will take longer to load in Xenocide or the songs could be played a little longer?

Here's a suggestion for a shorter version of the second one in case it fits the game scene better:

[url="http://www.magnic.com/viktor/Xenocide2-short.mp3"]http://www.magnic.com/viktor/Xenocide2-short.mp3[/url]

Anyway, it would be easier to come up with names and ideas for the songs if we finalize the scenes they're meant for.

• 3 weeks later...
hi im new here :)

my name is max but my "alias" i syncope i´m a producer (tho i dont like this word :-) from vienna/austria... im into all kinds of electronics (you know the genres :P :dnb, house, techno, nujazz, whatever :-) but i also do some orchestration
im not very professional yet as far as it concerns writing the score for a whole orchestra (im still learning alot :-)... but i can easyly orchestrate an existing score coz i own the vsl (vienna symphonic library) since a few weeks (and i really wanna use it all the time :) it´s a heck of a work but i love it...

im good in the electronic genres i´d call myself professional in this styles tho this is quite subjective (who defines "professional :hammer: )

i didnt read everything bout the project yet but as far as i understood there are several free screens and parts... which is a pitty coz i´d love to do music and athmospheres for the groundbattle (which always was my favorite part of ufo)

so if you got work for me just tell me (i´d love to do the intro sound)

cheers max

Just thought posting this here also, so it would be noticed

Just noticed that i have given wrong impression with this done and free system. In my head i just thought everybody knew what i was thinking .Xenocide will use more than one song and that done means that there is atleast one song for that event. So u can make varios battlescape song or interceptor songs , tho filling the gaps is our main concern now.

[quote name='ATeX' date='Jan 15 2004, 08:29 AM']I got an idea! :D

Why not all the musicians make one track for each part of the game and let the people do a poll (for each part) for all these compositions.  :wink:

That way we'll definitely have the best track in the game :D[/quote]
But, like Raven Squad just said, we want more than one song for each segment of the game. We don't need to pick the best; just do your personal best, make it through a little critique from the project members, and if the song fits a part of the game, we'll probably use it. The more, the better.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey music department, I wanted to let you all know about [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3567&hl="]this thread[/url], pointing to a web-based X-Net interface that's up and running. I've included a streaming music player, and have linked several songs you've been posting in this forum. I resampled them to something like 96kbs mp3 format to save on space, but as you update current songs or make new ones send me a link to the file and I'll add it in. I know we're using ogg format in the game, but I had the best luck with the embedded player using mp3 for this page.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
I'd like to suggest that as music is created and reviewed, that perhaps the first post in this thread could be edited to include links to the music? So once member X submits music for a certain area, it's reviewed and stored up on the server, then it's linked here. That gives people an idea of what's been done so far and what needs to be addressed yet.

You could have threads labeled: Planetview Music, Battleview Music, Interception Music, etc. Submissions could be posted in there. How does that sound?

I know this may not sound 2 good of a suggestion after hearing all these movie soundtrack ones. But games like warcraft have instrumental music, what about the starcraft soundtrack? Anyway it's just my thought but companies like blizzard have great sound teams and their games have (almost all) been best sellers. I'm not advertising the company but still you should check out some of the music they have for their games as inspiration (eerie music try diablo, diablo 2). Just my thought :sly:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I know it's a bit naive question, but will there be a possibility to use your own music something like in GTA, where while driving a car you're listening to radio and wow... that's my favourite song, because I set a playlist using mp3s from my hard drive and now I can listen to thousands of different titles and not just 10 or 20. My point is that no matter how good music there is in the game people will eventually get fed up with it. So is there such option in the game.
And another thing is that mp3.com will soon be reopened. As far as I remember before it was shutdown there had been plenty of really cool music. Why not ask some people for their permission to use their music in the game. It would definitely save time and sound team could focus on in-game sounds.
I'm just a thought. :happybanana:

Ah well, I think it has been asked before to be able to have an mp3 player inside the game so u could change the music whenever u get fed up with it. I'm not shure but I don't think that the final will be put into 1 single file so that there won't be a music directory. The thing is... in this game, they want to use OGG VORBIS instead of MP3 because OGG is freeware. So, I'm also not shure about the support for MP3 there...

I think it's something that might be considered yes :)

First if we want to use MP3 we have to pay royalties, so that is out of the question, OGG will be the format. On the other side, certainly not for V1, but we are looking forward to use context aware music soundtracks so the system wont work that way.

About asking in MP3, anyone is free to donate their work for the project use, however we have an explicit policy of not ask (bother) people on behalf of Project Xenocide because that can be considered harrasment. The same applies to past members, we do not under any circunstance, ask them to come back; no matters how important their work is. It is their choice not ours.

Hope that clarify both issues.

EDIT: some grammar.

Greetings
Red Knight Edited by red knight

• 2 months later...
I'm new to the project and am just looking around. First, is there some way I could download the existing music, to get a good feel for it? And second, I see a fair number of cries for classical orchestration in this thread. That's what I do! Personally, the style I had in mind, in thinking about music for the project, is a cross between [url="http://www.billbrownmusic.com"]Bill Brown[/url] and the original [i]X-COM: UFO Defense[/i]. Does that appeal to anyone? I can produce samples of what I mean if it does sound appealing.

You can find a lot of the music here:
[url="http://www.projectxenocide.com/public/data/audio/music/"]http://www.projectxenocide.com/public/data/audio/music/[/url]
here:
[url="http://www.projectxenocide.com/public/audio/"]http://www.projectxenocide.com/public/audio/[/url]
and in various threads which are rather difficult to find at the moment because they're in the unsorted forum.

• 5 months later...