XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xenium; New Name Suggestions Please

RustedSoul

I know some of you may have grown attached to Xenium, but I really don't want to see all the work that everyone here has put in jeopardized over an innocent coincidence.

Can we have some new names suggestions, or atleast explore possible alterations to the current.

I must say, that I think the idea of changing the Xenium name at this point is foolish at best, idotic at worst. The idea of calling it Xenium comes from the idea that this item is completely alien to our way of thinking. I think that the name (proposed by Cpl. Facehugger I believe) best captures the idea of this alien crystaline power source.

The response "Why not?" is, to be completely blunt, rude. At this point the name has been used throughout the entire project and (at least in my mind) has become part of the Project Xenocide mythos. Unless we have a really good reason for changing it (copyright infringment, court ruling, or government research into real Xenium, etc.) I think that we should stick with the current name.

Who decided to up and change it anyway?

I will fully admit that I may be biased in my backing for the current name, as I wrote the Xenium entry (with heavy input from Cartesian). I am certainly not trying to offend anyonw, though this post may come off a bit... passionatly. I will back whatever name that the project decides on. But, come on.

"If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

I must say, that I think the idea of changing the Xenium name at this point is foolish at best, idotic at worst. The idea of calling it Xenium comes from the idea that this item is completely alien to our way of thinking. I think that the name (proposed by Cpl. Facehugger I believe) best captures the idea of this alien crystaline power source.

The response "Why not?" is, to be completely blunt, rude. At this point the name has been used throughout the entire project and (at least in my mind) has become part of the Project Xenocide mythos. Unless we have a really good reason for changing it (copyright infringment, court ruling, or government research into real Xenium, etc.) I think that we should stick with the current name.

Who decided to up and change it anyway?

I will fully admit that I may be biased in my backing for the current name, as I wrote the Xenium entry (with heavy input from Cartesian). I am certainly not trying to offend anyonw, though this post may come off a bit... passionatly. I will back whatever name that the project decides on. But, come on.

"If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

I agree with Denevive, I just don't understand why have we been using this name and now all of a sudden we decide to change it for a different one, I think Xenium is perfect, and changing it would be, IMHO, a mistake. About the "Why not?" response, I consider it as insufficient :rolleyes: (might consider it rude, but I honestly don't think that was RS' intention :) )

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5841

1- my first post practically illustrates, more/less, that my intent is exploring possible avenues. (New names, possible tweaks..)

2- the response "why not?" / "Getting down to business" is not rude. Do I need to further butter my replies in order to democratically view the arguments against?

In my opinion, if they have a mod for XBox so be it... anybody can track Xenium in the forums for like 1 or 1 and a half year... On the other hand ours is just a game element, no conflict here.

Closing thread and probably going to the Alien Containment in a couple of days. If this is a proposition for a course of action I want an appropriate vote of the issue as it is pervasive for the whole project.

Greetings

Red Knight

Edited by red knight