XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Pistol

[color="red"]Note: Found this in the Laboratories, And thus was mergethed
- Best Regard.... RustedSoul[/color]

T-37 Heavy Pistol

Since the sixteenth century, soldiers have been carrying pistols to supplement their ability to preform in combat and act as a backup to their primary weapon. Pistols, by their very nature are designed to be light weight and versatile weapons used only in close quarters or emergencies.
The design of the T37 Heavy Pistol can be traced back as far as early 1968 when the government of the United States of America authorised the funding of a research project to develop a powerful, light weight and highly accurate pistol to aid American Troupes combat the spread of communism in Vietnam. The first pistol of the ‘T’ series to see combat was the T-03 in late 1969.
The series was highly imperfect in this early stage and many qualified men lost their lives because the weapon jammed in the midst of combat.
Somehow the early prototypes were recovered and the design was refined, the primary failing of the T-03, was an inconsistency in the development of the barrel of the gun. Individual bullets would catch in the barrel and chip, making following bullets increasingly likely to catch, until a bullet would simply jam in the barrel and the test subject would be killed or injured and left for dead.
During late 1970 the T-07 was released for combat trials, initial successes in the T-07 later turned to casualties as the new highly reactive formula of gunpowder used to increase the velocity of the bullet began to cause premature discharge of the ammunition in supply depositories across the test area. Needless to say, spontaneous discharge of ammunition in a room full of munitions and explosives can, and did result in the many deaths.
The next member of the series ‘T’ pistol to see combat trials is the
T-13 in late 1972, unfortunately for the combatants of the time the weapon had become even more of a death trap, defect in the new bullets led to serval of the weapons exploding during the process of being fired and serval men lost arms, or worse.
The war in Vietnam was laid to rest in 1973 and so was the ‘T’ series of weapons.
The project was revived in the early twenty first century when the global anti-terrorism crusades began, The ‘Collision of the willing’ made extensive use of the T-29 in combat listing the weight of the weapon as a disadvantage. As the war intensified and technology advanced the researchers working on the net ‘T’ series pistol began to experiment with new methods of bullet acceleration.
The relatively new magnetically propelled bullets technology was seen as the ultimate step forward in terms of the ‘modern’ weapon.
Within a matter of months The T-35 was tested in combat and quickly became the bane of terrorists every where.
It was serval more years before the T-35 was refined in to the modern T-37 and it is likely that the ‘T’ series weapon will exist for many more years and evolve even further.
The T-37 pistol boasts the most advanced features of any pistol anywhere in the world. Using an advanced infrared exposure technology in combination with a sophisticated AI driven target acquisition system gives the T-37 unparalleled accuracy among the pistol weapon class.
The superconducting magnetic acceleration coil is driven by a state-of-the-art heavy Cobalt battery, housed in the base of each clip. Housing a battery in every clip insures that the pistol never depletes its energy reserves.
The T-37 has become popular among paramilitary groups of late because of its availability on the open market, it low price and because capable of mounting three types of ammunition, the standard bullet, armour piercing bullets and antipersonnel bullets making this the ultimate creation in small-arms hardware.

This is my creation! It belongs to ME! :LOL:
Feel free to tell me i suck (if you think i do)
I'd like you feedback. if i endup in the creative texe department i need to be told i suck if i do! Edited by RustedSoul

Hmm, how about you write up a pistol ctd and post it on the x-net section of the workshop.

Overall pretty good. You probably want to include fluff text though ex: "These pistols are the best when a bug gets up close and personal"-Pvt. Rookie

You may want to include a more compact dev history (or not) and more information on the workings of the gun.

Are you saying that this particular pistol is like a mini railgun (magnetic propulsion) ? Not that thats bad, but im curious.

Hey -

What he's saying here is that he wrote up this very nice entry before he was aware that we are using the SOCOM as the standard sidearm. Unfortunately, since we are using the SOCOM and it is a well defined and known weapon, we will need to base it in its current (although perhaps a more futuistic) reality.

That said, I'm sure that some of this entry could be incoporated into a proper SOCOM one.

Gold

• 2 months later...
i could'nt find a human pistol concept anywhere,
so if it's already done just delete this thread ^_^ and i'm sorry for your troubles.

here's a rough draft

feedback for improvments are definately needed :D

Updated.. re written a little
spelling misstakes: fixed, i think i got them all
wordwrap

*UPDATE* this version is outdated check further down the page ^_^ * Edited by RustedSoul

Pretty nice. Currently the pistol (model) is based on the socom I think, so you may not want to deviate too much from that.

Also, You may want to include a developement history, and think of some quotes, for instance: "This pistol kills greys good!" -Sgt. Hick from bumf*k Idaho.

You also need to include an effectiveness blurb at the top (seperate from the rest of the text) This is so that people who don't want to read all of our excellent CTDs can read just that blurb and then get into the game without being handicapped.

Other than that, you may want to give it an XM-# designation because that seems to be what we are using for the personal weapons. (This may change at any time though.)

To find numbers/names/designations etc, you can look for the xenocide-xcom name dictionary thread. The name dictionary is under constant revision, so if you have a better name than what is listed, let me know somehow and I will work it in (or start a poll on it) :D

Welcome to the Creative Texts Department. You may want to post in the ctd updates thread so that Bruenor (whom is acting ctd leader until GreatGold returns from his "business...") can update the assets list so everyone knows you are working on the pistol.

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='Oct 22 2003, 03:10 PM']Welcome to the Creative Texts Department.[/quote]
^_^ thanks, i hope i can help

i took a look at your heavy_laser3.rtf to get an idea of what you wanted and i managed to produce this.. LOL sorry about the names i'll put some more thought into later

edit *File is now outdated, please check further down the page" Edited by RustedSoul

I don't know if 3.87 mm bullets are a good idea for pistol, IIRC the berreta 9mm is still the most popular handgun in the world. Assault rifles are becoming 5.56mm now, and I don't think 3.87 mm bullets would be very effective. But I don't know all that much about weaponry. You probably know more than I do. Also, automatic fire and a large amount of kickback in pistol form would probably be very bad for the users health. And I don't think any pistol would be superior to 70% of the worlds rifles, largely because rifles will almost always have the advantage of being more accurate (even if the rifle itself is less acurate, it will always be a more accurate weapon due to it's general design, unless it is sugnificantly worse). Also, any powerful pistol design can generally be trumped by a more powerful rifle design since the rifle has a stock which spreads the force of kickback accross the user's shoulder. Edited by Ancalagon

I must say that I love it. But 3.87 mm does seem a bit small, maby up it to 4.7 (what the g11 uses) or 5.7 (what the FN P90 uses)

Other than that and some minor spell/grammar checks and you should be good to go! :)

two non-grammatical problems that I can see:
1. You might not want to say "gave me" a report since I don't know how these are going to be presented. I don't know whether these are supposed to be reports from a head scientist or just general reports from a group of staffers. (You can definatley use "we recieved a report" if you want to or you could say something even more general such as "according to blah's report. . .")

2. I think you might have been right on the better than 70% of rifles bit, it sounds a lot more useful when it's that superior. Also 70 % of the worlds rifles are probably not very wonderful. Although it's hard to compare rifles and pistols directly since they are generally used for different purposes. You could try making a more specific comparison, such as the pistol is more powerful than x% of rifles.

Overall I like it.
I especially the emphasis on it being a close range weapon. The quote at the end was also good. I think it's pretty much ready.

ok thanks to everyones feedback i believe i'm starting to see the error in my ways.

3.87mm -> 4.7mm (trying to not to outshine the xm-8 rifle)

70% -> 66% trying to give it a more realistic number without making it sound less important

"You might not want to say "gave me" a report since I don't know how these are going to be presented"
(agreed ^_^ now been changed to..)
Today, Trooper Wun'hunglo presented us a written report detailing the performance of the XM-6 under combat conditions with these so called...alien beings

( I hope this is better ) ^_^

i'll post a final attempt within the next few days

to make sure i don't miss anything please feel free to give more feedback
thankyou :D Edited by RustedSoul

Hmm intresting. You may want to state what it is a hybrid of though

"The XM6 is a 9mm beretta/glock hybrid" or something. Other than that, I see no signifigant problems except that the second "we are currently taking this weapon under review" line is redundant.

13 VERY MINOR problems:

1. The first letter isn't capitolized. (I told you they were minor).

2. You need a "," after "damage".

3. "It's sole flaw is these" should be changed to "It's sole flaw is that these"

4. (just a suggestion) In the next sentance, you might want to change "protected" to "armored".

5. (just another suggestion) In the "less of an issue when compared with firepower" bit you might want to change it to "less of an issue when compared with firepower and ease of use" since "ease of use" is one of the major reasons x-corps would use pistols (it's hard to use a rifle in close quarters).

6. "earths" needs to be changed to "Earth's".

7. You need a "," after "millitary personel"

8. Wow! governments have banned all commercial sale!! that seems kind of strict! :D Seriously though, the baning sales sentence needs to be changed to "For this reason, governments worldwide have banned commercial sale of the weapon and prohibited it's use by civilian and household security corporations." You might also want to add a "however, " at the beggiining of the next sentance.

9. The comma after magnetic force concept should be changed to a pereiod and the next letter capitolized.

10. The comma after "when a cartridge is fired" also needs to be changed to a period and the next lettwr capitolized.

11. After the "sliding back along magnets" bit, the first letter of the next sentance needs to be capitolized.

12. After "4.7 mm shell" the comma should be a period and the next letter capitolized.

13. X-corps [b]is[/b] currently reviewing. . . there is only one army corps of engineers and only one x-corps. The word corps is not plurral.

"-Private Wun'hunglo (MIA)" Poor Private Wun'hunglo, may he rest in peace :boohoo:. (by MIA you mean Missing in action, right?)

Good job!, I couldn't spot any non-grammatical problems. I like it. ^_^

EDIT: 13 minor problems, not 6. Edited by Ancalagon

• 3 months later...
yep sorry, i let this hang for a bit to see if anything was to further develope. Since there have been no futher additions i'm assuming all are pretty much happy with it, and i'm considering it finalized pending proof read.

so basically things have been slightly rephrased, corrected & pimped into Wordpad.rtf :D

Edit.. *This file is now outdated, Please check My next post for the Current version thankyou* Edited by RustedSoul

Very fine work :D

^_^ ta Andy

dammit stats, I swear It will never finish :rolleyes:

[XM-6 "Perforator" (SOCOM)]

STATISTICS
Shot type: Accuracy: TU Cost:
Auto [60%] [54%]
Snap [60%] [18%]
Aimed [78%] [30%]

Damage Armour Piercing [26]
Clip Size [12]

The XM-6 is a 9mm beretta/Glock hybrid, featuring better handling, damage, and rate of fire. Its sole flaw is that these features come at the expense of accuracy. The XM-6 produces penetration that inflicts severe bodily harm to most light and medium armored alien species, making it a reliable alternative when dealing with less resilient alien lifeforms.

“Today, Trooper Wun Hung-Lao presented us a written report detailing the performance of the XM-6 under combat conditions with these so called...alien beings. If this report is indeed correct, all military personnel should be immediately equipped with the XM-6 so they can effectively deal with close quarter situations. Accuracy under these circumstances is less of an issue when compared with firepower and ease of use, meaning that the XM-6 can play a significant role on the battlefield. Until alternate weaponary is produced, I will be recommending the XM-6 to the review board and all military personnel" -Department of Logistics (Tom.J Fergus)

The XM-6 tactical pistol is Earth's finest achievement in the side arms industry. Used worldwide by law enforcement, military personnel, and small portions of organized crime, this side arm remains unmatched by any other pistol manufactured on Earth today. Because of its firepower and high rate of fire the XM-6 is vastly superior to approximately 66% of Earths rifles, making well over half practically redundant. For this reason, governments worldwide have banned commercial sale of the weapon and prohibited use by civilian and household security corporations. However, even though strictly enforced policies are maintained, the XM-6 continues to find its way into the hands of criminal organizations.

The XM-6 combines a classic recoil based principle with a magnetic force concept. This idea makes function smoother and more reliable. This newly designed system begins its operation when a cartridge is fired. The force created by the cartridge sends the bolt sliding back along magnets. By placing these magnets on the bolt and on the bolt chamber, magnetic repulsion is created. When the bolt slides backward it uses this magnetic repulsion as a non friction cushion, increasing the bolts momentum and effectively reducing maintanence. Once the rear spring has fully compressed, a pin attached to the trigger piece temporarily locks the bolt in place.

To keep this pistol in league with most modern rifles the XM-6 fires a depleted uranium 4.7mm shell. The heat produced by this cartridge is absorbed by modern heat dispersing alloys woven into the barrel. Due to the reasonable ammount of kickback produced, laser sights are considered unreliable and sole use of notched sights incorporated above of the pistol is recommended.

"I can't wait to take this baby into the combat zone again, clearing out a house is a breeze. The facial reactions of the aliens that get hit by it are a pure Kodak moment, even more so are the house owners when they see their furniture. If I ever see one of those large aliens i've been hearing rumors about, i'm going to give it a taste of the Ol'XM-6." -Private Wun Hung-Lao (Missing In Action)

Edit *[color="blue"]THIS FILE [u]IS[/u] THE CURRENT VERSION[/color]* Edited by RustedSoul

Was the Ivan [b]P. Freely[/b] thing deliberate? If not, I would change it to Freeman, or Freedman or something else. If you don't know what I mean, read it aloud. If you still don't know what I mean, look up the word "pee" at dictionary.com. If it was deliberate, you can leave it in, otherwise, it might be a good idea to take it out, as it's a bit immature.

Also, you might want to change Department of recources to something more official sounding, like "Department of logistics".

Other than that, it's great! Edited by Ancalagon

Ay.. it was deliberate, Was trying to encourage the reader to read between the lines with small subliminal gestures. I felt this would help add atmosphere into the game for those who read the final paragraph.

yes I agree, it was somwhat childish.. changed x2 thankyou :D

Hmm...
Just something I'd like to clear up...

I'm assuming that:
[quote]Private Wun'hunglo (Missing In Action)[/quote]
is a Chinese?

The way you stuck all the words in his name together makes it seem more like an alien's name than a Chinese name...

Generally, Chinese names have three separate words in 'em, one's the surname, the other two's the erm... first name...
using my name as an example:
Lim Tzu-Chan
or
Tzu-Chan Lim
my surname is Lim, and by using the hypen "-" to link the other two words in my name, I can safely put my surname in the front(Asian style) or put it in the back (western style) and still be more or less sure that most people will get which is my surname. I'd suggest you use this nameing convention.

BTW, is that a particular chinese name you're trying to spell out by anyway?

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='Feb 2 2004, 04:11 PM']I believe he is trying to make a jest on an old proverb (One testicle hung low)

So it would be:

Wun Hung-Low (Missing In Action)[/quote]
and....what does that mean?

When cleverly disquised it can be cute, but seeing how we have minors participating in the project we obviously want to keep this type of thing PG-13 at least.

Make it Wun Hung-Lao and it can stay, Lao is pretty close to low phonetically, and can pass casual inspection.

[quote]That he was hung with a long rope?[/quote]

NO it's not a nasty thing, it's an english play on words using an asian sounding name

errmm how do i say this without it becoming distasteful and ensuring everyone that it's not a derogatory remark..

think testicles, now with your [u]'hand'[/u] slap your inner knee :Blush:

that's about as far as i'll go with it here LOL,
If you still don't understand, don't try to. Just bear in mind that it is harmless fun at nobodies expense

INFO: Wun Hung-Lao is missing because he used his pistol against a larger alien which had better armour. Edited by RustedSoul

[quote name='RustedSoul' date='Feb 4 2004, 07:38 PM']INFO: Wun Hung-Lao is missing because he used his pistol against a larger alien which had better armour.[/quote]
A reaper perhaps? Or even better...a Muton! Or a chryssalid! Or a cyberdisk! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Many thanks Ancalagon :D . I hope that I can learn from the corrections and spare everyone the proofread next time around.

:LOL: Syntax, nah that was the draft m8. I used that because i was unsure of the name ATT

yes, the names for the equipment and weapons havn't been voted on yet

• 4 months later...
I wouldnt make the pistol a 9mm or base it on the berretta, the berretta 92f was accepted into the us military after a very one sided trial, in practice it is overcomplicated compared to much of the competition, heavy compared to many of the polymer framed hks and glocks and with a lower magazine capacity than the lighter glock 17. Theres also serious doubts about its long term durablility.

The SOCOM is a .45 (11.45mm i think) this is a much more effective round against an unarmoured enemy, a 9mm round travels fast and tends to overpenetrate, i.e. it can pass through a target, less energy is transfered to the target, people have been shot with 9mm rounds which have passed through them and left them still standing, a .45 on the otherhand is fat and slow (relatively slow!) this allows the round to pass more energy into the target, even if it possesses less in total as the round will lodge into a target, this gives rise to a large shock displacement effect which in turn gives the round greater knockdown qualities.

i think the pistol should be stated as a .45 or preferably in metric.

It's a military weapon 10 years from now, If i was'nt treating it as so I would have just said depleted uranium 4.7mm Hollow Point shell. The reasons why most police use 9mm solids is because there is a lesser chance of outright killing & mangling the target, also it's slightly more accurate & cheaper to produce (so much for police brutality :rolleyes: ). On top of that, the text is in the spirits of x-com which had Armor Peircing rounds as its damage type.

however, if anyone else wants a depleted uranium .45 slug please state so, it won't bother me to change it. :D

Game balance would require a lower magazine capacity than current 9mm's, whereas a say, 14 rnd .45 magazine would be pretty good and wouldnt look like something lower tech than todays weapons, id say a ceramic or cermet round would be better than Depleted Uranium, a full load would make a DU pistol unmanagably heavy, a ceramic round would be extremely hard but without the weight (think carbide cutting tools) and a cermet (ceramic particles in a metal matrix) round would be easy to manufacture aswell with better armor piercing qualities.
I you wanted to go low tech a tungsten cored shot or even better a tungsten sabot round would be good, but once again would be heavy by comparison.
Im against the berretta/glock hybrid part on grounds that they are brandnames!

Just throwing a few suggestions around.
Ad.D Edited by kchickenlord

bullets need weight to penetrate, but still remain light enough to reduce drop.
I don't think ceramic would work, however the "cermet (ceramic particles in a metal matrix)" has me kinda interested, aswell as the tungsten.

brandnames, it's kinda hard to use a weapon comparison without resorting to using them.

M8, please continue to throw suggestions around, it helps iron out inconsistencies and it's refreshing to see new members getting stuck into development. :D

ceramic works alright, been done, although you're right in saying a heavier round would have greater effect, depleted uranium combines both hardness and weight, but for a pistol probably too much weight, a round coated in a hard ceramic and with a heavy core made of something cheaper than DU like tungsten would have good ballistic properties while being lighter and more importantly, cheaper.
(on a side note the right coating could have a similar effect to teflon coated rounds which can pierce modern bodyarmor)
If the game was set a bit further forward i would suggest a very low calibre, say 4 or 5mm sabot round as an armor piercing round, and if shotguns make an appearance i would suggest sabot rounds for them.
Hollow points generally reduce penetration but are devastating against soft targets, i once witnessed a phone directory almost disintegrated by a hollow point after a jacketed round pinpricked it (although the exit was slightly more impressive), it would be nice to have both types of ammo for different targets but the choice is probably overcomplication, anyhoo, nobody waits to load the correct ammunition when a 7ft tall alien with a plasma gun pops his head round the corner!!
Cermets are sometimes used in cutting tools and can be very hard, sintered metal composites are a similar idea with porous metal (compacted metal powder) impregnated with another material, like cobalt in lathe cutting tools, but its really much easier to simplify it and have a solid core heavy core with a hard coating.

would have thought ceramic might shatter aswell, don't know. I only have access to solids, Hp's and softpoints, I think you'll enjoy the results of the softpoints on live targets :D
maybe the ones with the pointed plastic tips aswell, don't normally use them, I find them a slight waste of dosh.

oh the things i could do with the right knowledge and access to materials ^_^

Though i'm fairly happy with the DU 4.7, considering the size, its weight would be balanced. However, i've noticed in other ctds DU is used a fair bit and should probably be sparsed out.

Since its only a minor point to change I'm happy to consider it, heck i'd probably even consider a titanium/cobalt tipped round with a tungsten backing, then nudge the size up a bit. Are you willing to pass on some resources? if so, you can just pm them to me :devillaugh:

Ceramics is a massive area, and while they are generally very brittle there are exceptions, but ceramic coatings could make a softer material much harder, like a jacketed round, i agree with you about the DU, it is used quite a lot in the texts.

I think simple is the way to go, tungsten is tried and tested and DU is rather more expensive.
You could use a few catch phrases to fluff out the text for the round,

Another thought is a round with a hard core but a soft jacket, the round would hit and the core would be the part that would penetrate the armor, there are rounds such as this with aluminium and plastic rounds with the hard core either nearer the rear of the round or exposed and forming the tip, the soft jacket would mushroom like a normal round (especially, this would allow the round to have knockdown power greater than a solid round but also great penetration).

Another type of round would be the high velocity, light round, increasing the velocity has a greater effect than increasing mass when it comes to penetration, the question is whether such a light round would have performance at range.

Ill come back to this after i cook dinner :D

Heres a thing i scribbled, better than my descriptions, the core is not connected to the base, the base should be either a dome or a rounded out cone shape and there would be curves all over the round, but im not gonna try and draw anything like that in paint, i dont have any packages on this pc at the moment anyway.
They a use honeycombed aluminium alloy in larger rounds but i dont think its worth bothering with.

it would be nice if i could test all this, but the fact of the matter is i can't. i had a similar idea to this when I was building the RL ctd.

m8 i've really enjoyed this :( , but I feel we should focus our efforts on other tasks. Particularly those which arn't currently fit for V1.

meanwhile, there's no harm in me tinkering with it. If you wish to continue this discussion, i'd be more than happy to via the pm system.

Best Regards
- The Rusty one

• 6 months later...
PISTOL
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Weapons/Pistol

Since the sixteenth century, soldiers have been carrying pistols to supplement their ability to perform in combat and these act as a backup to their primary weapon. Pistols, by their very nature are designed to be light weight and versatile weapons used only in close quarters or emergencies.

The design of the T-37 Heavy Pistol can be traced back as far as early 1968 when the government of the United States of America authorized the funding of a research project to develop a powerful, light weight and highly accurate pistol to aid American Troupes combat in Vietnam. The first pistol of the ‘T’ series to see combat was the T-03, in late 1969.
The series was highly imperfect in this early stage and many qualified men lost their lives because the weapon jammed in the midst of combat.
Somehow the early prototypes were recovered and the design was refined, the primary failing of the T-03 was an inconsistency in the development of the barrel of the gun. Individual bullets would catch in the barrel and chip, making following bullets increasingly likely to catch, until a bullet would simply jam in the barrel and the test subject would be killed or injured and left for dead.
During late 1970 the T-07 was released for combat trials, initial successes in the T-07 later turned to casualties as the new highly reactive formula of gunpowder used to increase the velocity of the bullet began to cause premature discharge of the ammunition in supply depositories across the test area. Needless to say, spontaneous discharge of ammunition in a room full of munitions and explosives can, and did result in many deaths.
The next member of the “T” pistol series to see combat trials was the T-13 in late 1972, unfortunately for the combatants of the time the weapon had become even more of a death trap, defect in the new bullets led to several of the weapons exploding during the process of being fired and several men lost arms, or worse.

The attacks in Vietnam ware laid to rest in 1973 and so was the ‘T’ series of weapons.
The project was revived in the early twenty first century; the researchers working on the ‘T’ series pistol began to experiment with new methods of bullet acceleration.
The relatively new magnetically propelled bullets technology was seen as the ultimate step forward in terms of the ‘modern’ weapon.
Within a matter of months The T-35 was tested in combat and quickly became the weapon of choice among military around the globe.
It was several years before the T-35 was refined in to the modern T-37 and it is likely that the ‘T’ series weapon will exist for many more years and evolve even further.

The T-37 pistol boasts the most advanced features of any pistol anywhere in the world. Using an advanced infrared exposure technology in combination with a sophisticated AI driven target acquisition system gives the T-37 unparalleled accuracy among the pistol weapon class.

The superconducting magnetic acceleration coil is driven by a state-of-the-art heavy cobalt battery, housed in the base of each clip. Housing a battery in every clip insures that the pistol never depletes its energy reserves.

The T-37 has become popular among paramilitary groups of late because of its availability on the open market, it low price and because capable of mounting three types of ammunition, the standard bullet, armor piercing bullets and antipersonnel bullets making this the ultimate creation in small-arms hardware.

“Nothing like the good old T-37”
-Lieutenant Jacques Dulac.

• 1 month later...
This text relies too much on history rather than in the functionality of the weapon, part of the history has to be chopped, especially the part of Vietnam.
Also, target-acquisition AI and being a railgun is too much for a standard pistol.

PISTOL

Since the sixteenth century, soldiers have been carrying pistols to supplement their ability to perform in combat and these act as a backup to their primary weapon. Pistols, by their very nature are designed to be light weight and versatile weapons used only in close quarters or emergencies.

The design of the T-37 Heavy Pistol can be traced back as far as early 1968 when the government of the United States of America authorized the funding of a research project to develop a powerful, light weight and highly accurate pistol to aid American Troupes combat in Vietnam. The first pistol of the ‘T’ series to see combat was the T-03, in late 1969.
Somehow the early prototypes were recovered and the design was refined, the primary failing of the T-03 was an inconsistency in the development of the barrel of the gun. Individual bullets would catch in the barrel and chip, making following bullets increasingly likely to catch, until a bullet would simply jam in the barrel and the test subject would be killed or injured and left for dead.
During late 1970 the T-07 was released for combat trials, initial successes in the T-07 later turned to casualties as the new highly reactive formula of gunpowder used to increase the velocity of the bullet began to cause premature discharge of the ammunition in supply depositories across the test area. Needless to say, spontaneous discharge of ammunition in a room full of munitions and explosives can, and did result in many deaths.
The next member of the “T” pistol series to see combat trials was the T-13 in late 1972, unfortunately for the combatants of the time the weapon had become even more of a death trap, defect in the new bullets led to several of the weapons exploding during the process of being fired and several men lost arms, or worse.

The attacks in Vietnam ware laid to rest in 1973 and so was the ‘T’ series of weapons.
The project was revived in the early twenty first century; the researchers working on the ‘T’ series pistol began to experiment with new methods of bullet acceleration.
Within a matter of months The T-35 was tested in combat and quickly became the weapon of choice among military around the globe.
It was several years before the T-35 was refined in to the modern T-37 and it is likely that the ‘T’ series weapon will exist for many more years and evolve even further.

The superconducting magnetic acceleration coil is driven by a state-of-the-art heavy cobalt battery, housed in the base of each clip. Housing a battery in every clip insures that the pistol never depletes its energy reserves.

The T-37 has become popular among paramilitary groups of late because of its availability on the open market, it low price and because capable of mounting three types of ammunition, the standard bullet, armor piercing bullets and antipersonnel bullets making this the ultimate creation in small-arms hardware.

“Nothing like the good old T-37”
-Lieutenant Jacques Dulac.

I agree with Az's assessments: too much history, too little function, and it's too powerful (it's using electromagnets and a targetting system?!) for what it's supposed to be: a (mostly) dinky peashooter. Also, why would there be so many different guns in the "T" class, especially if revolutionary changes were made? Wouldn't they be a new class of weaponry? (I'm not a gun nut, so don't shoot me :))

here's my version. it contains something from eveyone, I think :)
I tried to

[quote]PISTOL

Since the sixteenth century, soldiers have been carrying pistols in combat, mostly as a backup to their primary weapon. Pistols by their very nature are designed to be lightweight and versatile weapons used in close quarters or emergencies.

The basic setup of the T-37 Heavy Pistol is very classical: A handle for gripping the weapon contains the ammunition and the main casing contains the firing mechanism and barrel. The components have been carefully balanced to create maximum stability while firing.
The details show the advanced technology of this weapon. The ammunition consists of caseless rounds, for decreased weight and almost no danger of jamming the loading mechanism. The newly developed propellant "gum" molded onto the projectile is triggered by an electric discharge, eliminating the need for a firing cap. The chamber of the gun has been reinforced and fitted with an airtight seal to function as the "casing". The save in mass was used to increase the amount of propellant and bullet, thus increasing the damage delivered.
The counterweight slide moves on an almost frictionless system using the energy of its own momentum to power a magnetic rail, reducing wear and tear and thus prolonging the lifespan of the weapon.

The T-37 is the newest and finest in small sidearms. Although many veterans have expressed concerns about using a wepon that has not been "tested" in "at least one World War", it has been chosen for its superior firepower, as well as the very promising caseless ammunition system, which has been shown to jam next to never in laboratory and field tests. We believe that our soldiers will need these properties in dealing with the threat at hand.

“Nothing like the T-37 for hunting deer. Or buffalos. Or elephants, maybe. But I personally would use grenades for that”
-Lieutenant Jacques Dulac.[/quote]

LOL the fluff, that is REAL humour, here! LOL

although delete 'for gripping the weapon ', i think most guys knows what handles are for :P also delete 'and the barrel', i don't think it fits, or sounds right, for the matter.

'The newly developed propellant "gum" molded onto the projectile is triggered by an electric discharge'

i don't really get this one, first: Wouldn't gum count as a casing, and second: isn't gum a little far fetched?

'The counterweight slide moves on an almost frictionless system using the energy of its own momentum to power a magnetic rail, reducing wear and tear and thus prolonging the lifespan of the weapon.'

If it uses a magnetic rail, it IS frictionless. Although i doubt that you could power the slide using only the power of the bullet...

'expressed concerns about using a wepon that has not been "tested" in "at least one World War" ' I don't get this, does the veterans want to use outdated ww2 weapons? why? that doesn't make sence.

'as well as the very promising caseless ammunition system, which has been shown to jam next to never in laboratory and field tests.' Repeated of the previous.

With pistols: Yes, they do, Mikker.

The Colt .45 pistol has been used since 1911. The 9mm round has been used since 1901.

And, when you're left to using a pistol, you want the older, dependable, reliable model more than anything newfangled.

I agree that some of the paragraphs feel a bit awkward. The second paragraph, especially.

Here's my suggested rewrite of that paragraph.
Original:
[quote]The basic setup of the T-37 Heavy Pistol is very classical: A handle for gripping the weapon contains the ammunition and the main casing contains the firing mechanism and barrel. The components have been carefully balanced to create maximum stability while firing.[/quote]
Revised:
The classic yet technologically advanced T-37 Heavy Pistol's design consists of a rubberized plastic grip, a precision crafted nickel-steel barrel, along with a fine-tuned hair trigger, all of which have been perfectly balanced for combat or sport.

Or something like that. It's not that great.

Night.

[quote name='mikker' date='Mar 2 2005, 06:00 PM']LOL the fluff, that is REAL humour, here! LOL[/quote]

glad you like it :)

[quote]although delete 'for gripping the weapon ', i think most guys knows what handles are for :P also delete 'and the barrel', i don't think it fits, or sounds right, for the matter.[/quote]

yep, you're right. honestly I just couldn't thik of anything else at the moment. I think AlienInBlack's rewrite is far better.

[quote]'The newly developed propellant "gum" molded onto the projectile is triggered by an electric discharge'

i don't really get this one, first: Wouldn't gum count as a casing, and second: isn't gum a little far fetched?[/quote]

well, "gum" sounds wrong, alright. the principle behind caseless ammo is that the propellant is solid, and just has the projectile in front of it. in normal ammo, you have a metal casing around it, which contains a powdered propellant and directs the force (i.e., it prevents all the energy from going into any direction but "front"). I used "gum" because I wanted to give the feeling that it has been molded, but gum does sound too... gum-like :blink:

[quote]'The counterweight slide moves on an almost frictionless system using the energy of its own momentum to power a magnetic rail, reducing wear and tear and thus prolonging the lifespan of the weapon.'

If it uses a magnetic rail, it IS frictionless. Although i doubt that you could power the slide using only the power of the bullet...[/quote]

no, actually, apart from superfluidity in certain substances at near-zero temperatures, NOTHING is frictionless. :P
it uses "its own momentum". so what I'm saying is that the slide starts moving, inducing an electric current in the magnets, which creates a magnetic field, which lifts the slide. at the same time the slide slows down, because of the induction and because of the magnetic fields. all the system does is waste kinetic energy :) which is exactly what is intended. and a nice side-effect is that the slide is lifted a tiny bit from its rail, so friction is reduced. I can't find any logical flaw in it... perhaps someone else can :hammer:

[quote]'expressed concerns about using a wepon that has not been "tested" in "at least one World War" ' I don't get this, does the veterans want to use outdated ww2 weapons? why? that doesn't make sence.[/quote]

as penta said, this is soooo close to truth... it's basically a kind of "hidden fluff". veterans do have a liking of weapons that have been in use for a really loooooooong time. this is just a very slight exaggeration, and one that is highly probable, too :D

[quote]'as well as the very promising caseless ammunition system, which has been shown to jam next to never in laboratory and field tests.' Repeated of the previous.[/quote]

oh, right. I just tried to sum it up in the last paragraph, but I'll have to re-phrase that. I'll post the next version soon :blush1:

okay, here it is. I elaborated a bit on the reduced-friction system, and worked in your corrections. hope I didn't miss anything :)

[quote]PISTOL

Since the sixteenth century, soldiers have been carrying pistols in combat, mostly as a backup to their primary weapon. Pistols by their very nature are designed to be lightweight and versatile weapons used in close quarters or emergencies.

The design of the T-37 Heavy Pistol is very classical: A rubberized plastic grip contains the ammunition clip, while the main casing contains a precision crafted nickel-steel barrel. The components have been carefully balanced to create maximum stability while firing.

The details show the advanced technology of this weapon. The ammunition consists of caseless rounds, for decreased weight and almost no danger of jamming the loading mechanism. The propellant is molded directly onto the projectile and triggered by an electric discharge, eliminating the need for a metal casing and a firing cap. The chamber of the gun has been reinforced and fitted with airtight seals to function as a blast chamber. The save in catridge mass was used to increase the amount of propellant and the bullet mass, increasing the damage delivered.

The counterweight slide employs a novel reduced-friction system. When the weapon is fired and the slide starts moving backwards, induction coils convert part of the kinetic energy into an electric current powering the magnetic rail buffering the slide. By this, the system acts as a magnetic brake as well as reducing wear and tear, prolonging the lifespan of the weapon. The recoil is considerably softened.

All in all, the T-37 is the newest and finest in small sidearms. Although many veterans have expressed concerns about using a wepon that has not been "tested" in "at least one World War", it has been chosen for its superior firepower, as well as the very promising caseless ammunition system, particularly because of the low danger of jamming. We believe that our soldiers will need these properties in dealing with the threat at hand.

“Nothing like the T-37 for hunting deer. Or buffalos. Or elephants, maybe. But I personally would use grenades for that”
-Lieutenant Jacques Dulac.[/quote]