XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Issue #184: Information For Strategycore Site

Guest Azrael Strife

A draft for the information that is going to be presented in the Strategy Core website. A team has to be assemblied to write and proofread the information.

The required information is: Objetives, Small History of the Project, What we do, Why we do it, expected system requirements, latest progress release. All else that you think can be useful add it.

I'd say a team of 3 would be ideal, and all we could pull out, seeing how many active people we got lately :P So, I need two volunteers (I'll work on it), who's up? I think dipstick would like to work on this, anyone else? :)

right then, I am taking this , but I will be happy to listen to any suggestions that people may have though. This thread can be used for that purpose, or my PM box is open :) ^_^ Edited by dipstick

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What do you think? Anyone any additions to this? Maybe someone from PRG could have a view on this too? Thx!

Project Xenocide is developed by an international group of individuals endeavoring to recreate the spirit and feel of Atari's (formerly Microprose) turn-based strategy classic: X-COM: UFO Defense in a new game entitled "Xenocide". The game is placed in a Universe similar, but not equal to the X-COM Universe. Every single piece in this Universe is created from scratch by the developers, so,  although everything is inspired by the original X-COM series, there will be no things that are exactly like in the original game. In addition to state of the art graphics and sound, Xenocide will feature deep insights in both, Alien and Human technology as well as motivations.

Using the Ogre graphics engine Xenocide is designed to allow true 3D support on multiple platforms - namely Windows™ 98, 2000, XP and Linux™.

Although the game is still under development, we are trying to accomplish, that a system with a Pentium IV 1000 MHz or AMD Athlon 1000 MHz equipped with a minimum of 256 MB RAM and a GeForce 2 or Radeon 7500 class graphics card will be sufficient to play Xenocide.

There are official alpha releases from time to time, to document our progress. Nevertheless, these releases are still limited and should not be expected to be playable demos.

Please feel free to visit us at http://www.projectxenocide.com and look around in our forums!

A detailed FAQ as well as documentation on the development and the latest development news can be found at the Project Xenocide Wiki: http://docs.projectxenocide.com/.

Guest Azrael
What do you think? Anyone any additions to this? Maybe someone from PRG could have a view on this too? Thx!

Project Xenocide is developed by an international group of individuals endeavoring to recreate the spirit and feel of Atari's (formerly Microprose) turn-based strategy classic: X-COM: UFO Defense in a new game entitled "Xenocide". The game is placed in a Universe similar, but not equal to the X-COM Universe. Every single piece in this Universe is created from scratch by the developers, so,  although everything is inspired by the original X-COM series, there will be no things that are exactly like in the original game. In addition to state of the art graphics and sound, Xenocide will feature deep insights in both, Alien and Human technology as well as motivations.

Using the Ogre graphics engine Xenocide is designed to allow true 3D support on multiple platforms - namely Windows™ 98, 2000, XP and Linux™.

Although the game is still under development, we are trying to accomplish, that a system with a Pentium IV 1000 MHz or AMD Athlon 1000 MHz equipped with a minimum of 256 MB RAM and a GeForce 2 or Radeon 7500 class graphics card will be sufficient to play Xenocide.

There are official alpha releases from time to time, to document our progress. Nevertheless, these releases are still limited and should not be expected to be playable demos.

Please feel free to visit us at http://www.projectxenocide.com and look around in our forums!

A detailed FAQ as well as documentation on the development and the latest development news can be found at the Project Xenocide Wiki: http://docs.projectxenocide.com/.

First, X-Com is Microprose's, not Atari's, the fact that Atari may or may not have bought Microprose doesn't matter, they didn't develop it :) also, the current owner of X-Com's copyrights is Take Two, not Atari.

Remove the minimum system requirements, we never know when that's going to change and I don't think we are aiming at a specific ones?

I'll look into expanding the info, as we chatted about :)

I would like to add sth. about the history, but I can't find any dates... :-/

Project Xenocide is developed by an international group of individuals endeavoring to recreate the spirit and feel of Microprose's turn-based strategy classic: X-COM: UFO Defense in a new game entitled "Xenocide". The game is placed in a Universe similar, but not equal to the X-COM Universe. Every single piece in this Universe is created from scratch by the developers, so,  although everything is inspired by the original X-COM series, there will be no things that are exactly like in the original game. In addition to state of the art graphics and sound, Xenocide will feature deep insights in both, Alien and Human technology as well as motivations.

There are official alpha releases from time to time, to document our progress. Nevertheless, these releases are still limited and should not be expected to be playable demos. The latest release can always be found at http://docs.projectxenocide.com/index.php/General:Changelog.

We just talked about this yesteday at irc. Our releases can't be called "alpha" releases. Term "progress release" is better one :)

I thought we wouldn't release any public "progress releases" anymore? Only alphas once in a year or sth. like this...? Or are these now calle progress releases?

I can't say anything offical, but when speaking purely with what does "alpha" mean, we should not call our releases as "alpha" releases for a long time. When we have working battlescape etc, we might consider that we are near "alpha" stage.

This is just me. What you guys decide in PR department, it's up to you, but this is my professional opinion :)

- Garo

I can't say anything offical, but when speaking purely with what does "alpha" mean, we should not call our releases as "alpha" releases for a long time. When we have working battlescape etc, we might consider that we are near "alpha" stage.

On that I agree. Ok. So we'll call them "progress releases". (At least if it's for me to decide ;) )

More comments please! Anyone able to add some nice sounding tech features for gfx or sound around? :)