XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Alien Breeding

kafros

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
people thought there were pron in this topic. Alien breeding and all, you can't blame them. :P Edited by mikker

Just a few comments on your CTD. Hope they're helpful.

1: Much of the first paragraph seems rather unnecessary; Terran breeding is something (hopefully) known to every adult at the very least, and doesn't therefore need to be defined, indeed, most certainly would not be defined in a report by a head scientist to the leader of X-Corps.

As such I would recommend removing this section in its entirety, and reworking other information as relevant into other paragraphs.

2: Your reference to the alien groups is as "primates". Primates is actually the term reserved for the Terran ape family, and I would suggest correcting this term to "advanced humanoid".

However, given the absence of genitalia, visible or otherwise, on most of these creatures, this would not lead towards an assumption of "normality", given that at this point several aliens would have been encountered and most likely researched as well. This carries over to paragraph 2, where you can apply this knowledge: "Most aliens we have encountered show little physical variation between individuals, and on closer investigation, appear to be genetic clones."

3: In Paragraph 2, mentioning Vipers and Spawn was nicely done, however (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), on researching Alien Reproduction, you would actually already be required to have actually captured the devices that facilitate this process? If this is the case, then "hints" of alien breeding being more sinister would be less "hints" and more "having researched this extremely obvious device it's pretty obvious". ThumbUp.gif

4: Paragraph 3: I'm not sure on how common it is among the CTD descriptions to include fluff texts in the middle of a report, but it is standard practice, feel free to ignore me here, but this entire report seems out of place in a Head Scientist's report, particularly for the players, who might not want "John Twitch" to be involved in their game. Equally, the player is most likely well aware that it was recovered in a ground assault, this doesn't really need repetition, though it might be helpful to say where they are typically found instead.

If you want to incorporate "soldier descriptions" then this might be better achieved either at the end in fluff text, or in a passage such as "on first encounter, the troops referred to these devices as (giant incubators), and this seems to be an accurate description blah blah blah....".

5: "This is another proof that verticulant tissue is used in cloning." is poor grammar. "Further proof" etc. would be better. Otherwise, it's fairly good technobabble. However, I seem to recall the "Alien Origins" research mentioning the extreme threat and limitless number of the alien invaders. "This indicates that they pose a far greater threat than we imagined." rather contradicts such a notion. It might emphasise the threat, and "prove without a doubt that attrition simply won't work against them" or something as a possible alternative?

6: The last paragraph is a good explanation why cloning isn't practiced, and reads well.

7: Previous versions of the fluff text I felt were more succint and to the point, which was good. In this current version: 1: a soldier wouldn't really say "embryos". "Little alien babies" maybe. 2: The first five, and last two lines are completely pointless for a fluff text, which is preferably short, sharp and to the point. Simply the order to enter, and the reference to what is seen makes for a far better flavour text.

@Sinscale: Welcome pal, and have fun in here, we are a wonderful 1337 t3@m after all =b

@Proofreaders: It seems this lil thread needs some humour... Just after talking about misc stuff, tsouf!, 5 new posts :P :P :P :P

Bring the b33r b@b3 :beer:

Edit: @Sinscale: We can put flufs in the "middle" of the report, and in the end (which is the important one)

[edit:]Sin-clair... dunno how I got that idea :P LOL

Edited by kafros

Actually, it's not that surprising... On the average, it appears that threads in the Active CT forum have a rough ratio of 10 views to every post... That's because most of us reread each draft about five times before posting comments

You forgot to mention the five times we edit our posts... or maybe that's just me? :P

And before bringing the beer, kafros, just to make sure, is everyone here old enough to drink? If not, we'll just conveniently leave some bottles over here and hope no one accidentally drinks them. ^_^

And Sinscale17, nice commentary- I like what I see! Keep up the good work, soldier. =b

Edited by Astyanax

Sheesh, what heresy! :NoNo:

Don't you understand that beer is a sacred libation for the nourishment of the everlasting soul? How... how could you deprive the essence joy and laughter from your fellow dedicated compatriots in the CTD's gaping maw of literary cornucopia? Oh, woe is me, for there is no beer for me... :Cry:

:P :P :P

ALIEN BREEDING

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Research/Alien Breeding

In order to completely understand the severity and the very kind of the alien invasion, we must first comprehend the alien species themselves. The full understanding of the alien physiology, the alien anatomy and the way these aliens reproduce, will aid us in this endeavour.

kind?, how about "nature"?

First sentence, I suggest "In order to fully assess the true threat of the Alien species and understand very nature of the Alien invasion..."

“In Earth, mammals and primates (including humans) reproduce via mating. The gametes are combined (and so their chromosomes, which are actually the genetic information needed in order to produce a new organism), and produce the zygote. Then, one of the parents (usually the female) keeps the zygote inside his body. The zygote multiplies itself, becomes a fetus, and eventually grows-up into an offspring. This method of reproduction is the most efficient one in predator species, as the fertilized egg is fostered and protected until fully developed into an offspring. Other earth organisms reproduce with different methods (laying eggs in the ground, burying them etc).”

Extract of article taken from “Wukuspedia, The online knowledge vault”

Most of the species the alien army consists of are advanced primates. This suggests that they should reproduce in a way similar to ours. In the contrary, X-Corps scientists were surprised by the results derived from the recent studies on the way the aliens reproduce (codenamed for sort “Alien Breeding”). Most of the alien species do not actually reproduce in any natural way. That is, in a way we are used to. In fact, only two of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”: the spawn and the viper. The latter lays eggs, while the former infects other species with a toxin which transforms the infected individuals into Spawns. In addition, all the other alien species seem to be almost 100% genetically and physically similar. These facts leaded us to the assumption that aliens actually clone themselves.

Actually, they don't consist of advanced primates. Artopods and Terror-Disc are mechanical, Vipers and Raptors are kinda reptilian, Cloaks we cannot tell what the heck they were, Spawns are genetically engineered weapons, Greys might be evolved primates.... very evolved...and perhaps, Satyrians are.... I don't know. But of all species maybe one or two at most are highly evolved primates.

Spawns' reproduction method can hardly be called "natural", specially since they are not a natural species, rather a completely artificial creature.

“We have discovered a strange room in an alien supply craft. It was full of strange cylindrical devices, in which some kind of alien embryos were located. We are unsure about the purpose of these chambers, but we’ve surely found something new and interesting. The Techies back at the lab will actually love to conduct research on these things, although they are quite exasperating in my opinion …”

- Extract of mission log written by Captain John “Twitch” Avery, after a salvage mission

Was there an Alien reproduction item found inside UFOs in X-Com? I really don't remember if there was or wasn't. Two quotes in the beginning of the text, I'd prefer that any sort of fluff text be at the end.

This chamber, recently captured during a ground assault operation, mostly consists of cybernetic control consoles and devices which we call “incubators”, as it is a very fitting description. The whole system is indeed complex, but nevertheless efficient. Incubators consist of a nutrition-rich liquid in which foetuses in various stages of development were suspended. The liquid ensures a rapid growth of the embryo inside. We have so far been unsuccessful in removing the liquid from the containers without disrupting power flow and damaging the device, as both the incubator and the liquid require a constant addition of energy, which is provided by a direct power connection to xenium reactors. While conducting research on an incubator, X-Corps scientists found some verticulant tissue in the fluid, but no verticulant tissue was found on the foetus. This is another proof that Verticulant tissue is the main factor in alien cloning. In order to produce a whole organism with different cell types, the aliens must feed Verticulant tissues with different DNA strings (probably “in vitro” at their bases), which make the cells transform into various body parts, as i.e. vital organs and skin. The foetuses are then placed in incubators in a breeding chamber, in order to have the energy, nutrients and growth-safe environment (indispensable premises for their complete and successful transformation) provided by the incubators. It isn’t safe to grow the foetuses in ships, as they need a safe environment like an alien base, so that the aliens will be able top solve any malfunctions of this hi-tech equipment.

"tissue" is somewhat repetitive. I don't fully understand why the liquid cannot be retrieved without damaging the device. Complexity doesn't imply ineffectiveness, that "nevertheless" makes it sound like so. I feel like using a Xenium Reactor would be way too much for an incubator of some sorts.

Great potential was found in this method of reproduction, because with this factory-line system, the alien invaders generate the various alien clones they need (soldiers, scientists, pilots, engineers etc) in a medium period of time. Many scientific and military agents suggested using these chambers in order to easily and efficiently clone troops. The possibility of using these devices in order to provide rapid production of X-Corps soldiers has been rejected due to a variety of problems. Setting ethical issues aside, we are left with overwhelming technical issues. The incubators need a great quantity of common earth power in order to start their operation and maintain an optimal growth state for the embryo. If we intend to use Xenium, the operation and maintenance of the incubators is also highly inefficient cost-wise. Last but not least, we can’t acquire the great quantities of Verticulant tissue needed for this kind of reproduction, as it is dangerous to capture/grown live verticulants, difficult and costly to sustain them and practically impossible to collect the large quantities needed for cloning many soldiers. Nonetheless, feeding DNA strings to all these verticulant tissues is a time-consuming and expensive procedure.

That's good, it has to be perfectly clear that in no way we can clone ourselves the way they do.

Further research has also shown that these incubators also have a device that plants cybernetic implants in the brain of the freshly cloned aliens. With a specific procedure, these components upload racial memories and all scientific, technical or combat information into the blank mind of the reproduced creatures.

Sergeant Spoons: Johnson, Granger, take position left of the door. Olli, Carter, right. Jackson, Meeko, you go in when I give the mark.

Granger: Command Acknowledged, Squad Leader, we're moving in.

Olli: Ready, sir!

Carter: I’m set, sir!

Johnson: All set, Sir. Ready to proceed.

Sergeant Spoons: Green to go, move in girls!

Jackson: I’m ins… Damn, what the heck is this room?

Meeko: Big tanks with floating alien bodies… and embryos! Ugh!

Jackson: Try Eeugh! That thing is greener and uglier than my snot!

Meeko: I guess it also smells worse than your fart Jackson!

Sergeant Spoons: Hey girls, just stay alert!

-Ground Assault Team Alpha - Mission Log

I don't quite think that this fluff is appropiate, it's got no real point, and the fart part promises to make Red Knight unhappy with this text :(

It still needs some work, much rewording to do as well, but progresses well, good job =b

"Oh, so it's just cloning, not anything else? Why'd you call it 'alien breeding' and scare me like that! I'm waaay too old for that, you hear?!"

a little more innocent, but funny?

Err... Azzy?

Just for your information, but the ugly buggers we call Spawn did have a "natural" start... Since Spawns and Vipers show up together, it was decided that Spawns are to Vipers as Dogs are to us...

Check out the Viper thread, and where it refers to Achidnas, replace with Spawn...

Same comment goes for your Alien Origins text actually... I never did figure out why you were saying that Spawns were the ultimate genetic bioterror weapon until now...

That's my Alien Goal, I don't know, I was sure they were, they do not seem anything natural, as their toxin is especially made to target us. Well then, it is a natural creature, but sure as heck seems like an artificial one to me.

That's my Alien Goal, I don't know, I was sure they were, they do not seem anything natural, as their toxin is especially made to target us. Well then, it is a natural creature, but sure as heck seems like an artificial one to me.

I'm not too sure about the "..especially made to target us." part, as from my reading of the Viper CT and the Spawn CT, anything with enough biomass can and will form a Viper...

There was also talk about making a fluff that had an infected mice become a minature spawn...

I'm not too sure about the "..especially made to target us." part, as from my reading of the Viper CT and the Spawn CT, anything with enough biomass can and will form a Viper...

There was also talk about making a fluff that had an infected mice become a minature spawn...

I'm just of the opinion that the thing that the Spawn does to the cells can only be caused because the Spawn's toxing is highly specialized to affect a certain species cells, it is a too drastic transformation. But no point discussing this, that is just my idea of what the spawn should be like, but it's your text so I'll bow before your ideas :master:

You should have posted in my Alien Goal and Alien Abductions about that incoherency, I'll make sure to read your texts and make it compatible :D

Edited by Azrael

Oh, sorry then, I assumed they were yours. The point is that they were completed and my texts are posterior, so I will make them fit but will not completely agree with the completed ideas..

edit: oh, they are Cpt. Boxershorts and Anthraxus, right :)

Edited by Azrael

• 3 weeks later...

Riiiiiiiiiiight, LORD AZRAEL :NyaNyaNya: :NyaNyaNya:

I'm waiting for all proofreaders and CTD members... But, it seems that there aren't any more ideas, and this is my CTD anyway, right? I'm the one in charge to complete it :\

I've been really busy in RL these days. School, competitions (biology/chemistry/Informatics/Lysi@s)... Hopefully, I'll have much more free time after the end of this week, and I'll provide some nice work :)

Edited by kafros

The point is that they were completed and my texts are posterior, so I will make them fit but will not completely agree with the completed ideas.

Is there anything I should keep in mind while writing my CTD except the Celatids? :Coffee:

Guest Azrael
Riiiiiiiiiiight, LORD AZRAEL  :NyaNyaNya:  :NyaNyaNya:

I'm waiting for all proofreaders and CTD members... But, it seems that there aren't any more ideas, and this is my CTD anyway, right? I'm the one in charge to complete it :\

I've been really busy in RL these days. School, competitions (biology/chemistry/Informatics/Lysi@s)... Hopefully, I'll have much more free time after the end of this week, and I'll provide some nice work :)

Proofreaders? Those would be Astyanax, Dipstick and me, and we have complete texts to proofread. Besides, don't expect a proofread here, we only do that with complete texts (ocassionaly Astyanax enjoys doing it in active texts, however :P)

If you are busy, it's ok, but from your PM in Pardus I assumed you were just waiting for more comments, don't worry :)

Yes, it's your CT, are you afraid someone's gonna take it from you? :P

Except my comments, I think this was going pretty well :D

But you'll have to write another CT for that! :naughty:

would that text, by any chance, need a fluff?

"Hey guys, check this out, I can make my Creative texts glow!" - Rookie writer Azrael, recently deceased from astyanaxation.

Note: The original size of the creative texts was 'slightly' enlarged to reduce the proof reading hazard.

OK, enough of the spam, back on topic :naughty:

LOL! That's still pretty good, kafros. :)

It's weird, I thought my new avatar didn't take... hm, I'll have to check it when I get home. Maybe I'll change it back so you won't have to make another gif. :P

Edited by Astyanax

ALIEN BREEDING

In order to fully appraise the true threat of the Alien species and understand very nature of the Alien invasion, we must first comprehend the alien species themselves. The full understanding of the alien physiology, the alien anatomy and the way these aliens reproduce, will aid us in this endeavor.

“In Earth, mammals and primates (including humans) reproduce via mating. The gametes are combined (and so their chromosomes, which are actually the genetic information needed in order to produce a new organism), and produce the zygote. Then, one of the parents (usually the female) keeps the zygote inside his body. The zygote multiplies itself, becomes a fetus, and eventually grows-up into an offspring. This method of reproduction is the most efficient one in predator species, as the fertilized egg is fostered and protected until fully developed into an offspring. Other earth organisms reproduce with different methods (laying eggs in the ground, burying them etc).”

Extract of article taken from “Wukuspedia, The online knowledge vault”

X-Corps scientists were surprised by the results derived from the recent studies on the way the aliens reproduce (codenamed for sort “Alien Breeding”). Most of the alien species do not actually reproduce in any natural way. That is, in a way we are used to. In fact, only one of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”, which is the Viper, as it can lay eggs. Morlocks and Greys are evolved primates without reproductive organs, Artopods and Terror-Discs are mechanical, Cloaks are a complete mystery, Satyrians and Raptors are surgically and genetically enhanced, Spawns are genetically engineered weapons and Vipers would more likely be described as reptilian. In addition, all the other alien species seem to be almost 100% genetically and physically similar. These facts leaded us to the assumption that aliens actually clone themselves.

After a crash site mission, a strange chamber was discovered in the alien supply craft, which was full of strange cylindrical devices, in which some kind of alien embryos were located. This chamber mostly consists of cybernetic control consoles and devices, which we call “incubators”, as it is a very fitting description. Incubators consist of a nutrition-rich liquid in which fetuses in various stages of development were suspended. The liquid ensures a rapid growth of the embryo inside. After a deep analysis of both the incubator device and the contained liquid, we have discerned a complex electronic structure. Complicated circuits, accurate sensors and nutrient regulators are all operating automatically and effectively. The most mentally stimulating feature of the incubator is nanotechnology! Nanomachines were detected in the liquid, repairing the fetus’s tissues and cleaning the liquid itself. We have so far been unsuccessful in removing the liquid from the containers without disrupting power flow and upsetting the operating balance, thus damaging the device, as both the incubator and the liquid require a constant addition of energy, which is provided from the incubator’s energy battery and is recharged by the ship’s Xenium reactor. While conducting research on an incubator, X-Corps scientists found some verticulant tissue in the fluid, but not on the fetus. This is yet another proof that Verticulant tissue is the main factor in alien cloning. In order to produce a whole organism with different cell types, the aliens must feed Verticulant cells with different DNA strings (probably “in vitro” at their bases), which make the cells transform into various body parts, as i.e. vital organs and skin. The fetuses are then placed in incubators in a breeding chamber, in order to have the energy, nutrients and growth-safe environment (indispensable premises for their complete and successful transformation) provided by the incubators. It is not safe to grow the fetuses in ships, as they need a safe environment like an alien base, so that the aliens will be able top solve any malfunctions of this hi-tech equipment.

Great potential was found in this method of reproduction, because with this factory-line system, the alien invaders generate the various alien clones they need (soldiers, scientists, pilots, engineers etc) in a medium time period. Many scientific and military agents suggested using these chambers in order to easily and efficiently clone troops. The possibility of using these devices in order to provide rapid production of X-Corps soldiers has been rejected due to a variety of problems. Setting ethical issues aside, we are left with overwhelming technical issues. The incubators need a great quantity of common earth power in order to start their operation and maintain an optimal growth state for the embryo. If we intend to use Xenium, the operation and maintenance of the incubators is also highly inefficient cost wise. Finally yet importantly, we cannot acquire the great quantities of Verticulant tissue needed for this kind of reproduction, as it is dangerous to capture/grown live verticulants, difficult and costly to sustain them and practically impossible to collect the large quantities needed for cloning many soldiers. Nonetheless, feeding DNA strings to all these verticulant tissues is a time-consuming and expensive procedure.

Further research has also shown that these incubators also have a device that plants cybernetic implants in the brain of the freshly cloned aliens. With a specific procedure, these components upload racial memories and all scientific, technical or combat information into the blank mind of the reproduced creatures.

"Oh, so it's just cloning, not anything else? Why'd you call it 'alien breeding' and scare me like that! I'm waaay too old for that, you hear?!"

- Major Tommy J. Fork

"only one of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”, which is the Viper, as it can lay eggs.... Spawns are genetically engineered weapons and Vipers would more likely be described as reptilian."

Vipers named twice.

"After a crash site mission, a strange chamber"

could be recovered from a landed UFO too, or alien bases.

"only one of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”, which is the Viper, as it can lay eggs.... Spawns are genetically engineered weapons and Vipers would more likely be described as reptilian."

Vipers named twice.

Damn, forgot to change that one :D

"After a crash site mission, a strange chamber"

could be recovered from a landed UFO too, or alien bases.

Indeed, I have to make it clear. Although I was sure I did.... :\

green means "needs correction" (just to deviate from the standard red, orange, blue color scheme :P

ALIEN BREEDING

In order to fully appraise the true threat of the Alien species and understand very nature of the Alien invasion, we must first comprehend the alien species themselves. The full understanding of the alien physiology, the alien anatomy and the way these aliens reproduce, will aid us in this endeavor.

“In Earth, mammals and primates (including humans) reproduce via mating. The gametes are combined (and so their chromosomes, which are actually the genetic information needed in order to produce a new organism), and produce the zygote. Then, one of the parents (usually the female) keeps the zygote inside his body. The zygote multiplies itself, becomes a fetus, and eventually grows-up (1) into an offspring. This method of reproduction is the most efficient one in predator species, as the fertilized egg is fostered and protected until fully developed into an offspring. Other earth organisms reproduce with different methods (laying eggs in the ground, burying them etc).”

Extract of article taken from “Wukuspedia, The online knowledge vault” (A)

X-Corps scientists were surprised by the results derived from the recent studies on the way the aliens reproduce (codenamed for sort “Alien Breeding”). Most of the alien species do not actually reproduce in any natural way. That is, in a way we are used to. In fact, only one of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”, which is the Viper, as it can lay eggs. Morlocks and Greys are evolved primates without reproductive organs, Artopods and Terror-Discs are mechanical, Cloaks are a complete mystery, Satyrians and Raptors are surgically and genetically enhanced, Spawns are genetically engineered weapons and Vipers would more likely be described as reptilian. In addition, all the other alien species (2) seem to be almost 100% genetically and physically similar. These facts leaded us to the assumption that aliens actually clone themselves.

After a crash site mission, a strange chamber was discovered in the alien supply craft, which was full of strange (3) cylindrical devices, in which some kind of alien embryos were located. This chamber mostly consists of cybernetic control consoles and devices, which we call “incubators”, as it is a very fitting description. Incubators consist of a nutrition-rich liquid in which fetuses in various stages of development were suspended. The liquid ensures a rapid growth of the embryo inside. After a deep analysis of both the incubator device and the contained liquid, we have discerned a complex electronic structure. Complicated circuits, accurate sensors and nutrient regulators are all operating automatically and effectively. The most mentally stimulating (4) feature of the incubator is nanotechnology! Nanomachines were detected in the liquid, repairing the fetus’s (5) tissues and cleaning the liquid itself. We have so far been unsuccessful in removing the liquid from the containers without disrupting power flow and upsetting the operating balance, thus damaging the device, as both the incubator and the liquid require a constant addition of energy, which is provided from the incubator’s energy battery and is recharged by the ship’s Xenium reactor. While conducting research on an incubator, X-Corps scientists found some verticulant (6) tissue in the fluid, but not on the fetus. This is yet another proof that Verticulant (6) tissue is the main factor in alien cloning. In order to produce a whole organism with different cell types, the aliens must feed Verticulant (6) cells with different DNA strings (probably “in vitro” at their bases), which make the cells transform into various body parts, as i.e. vital organs and skin. The fetuses are then placed in incubators in a breeding chamber, in order to have the energy, nutrients and growth-safe environment (indispensable premises for their complete and successful transformation) provided by the incubators. It is not safe to grow the fetuses in ships, as they need a safe environment like an alien base, so that the aliens will be able top (7) solve any malfunctions of this hi-tech equipment.

Great potential was found in this method of reproduction, because with this factory-line system, the alien invaders generate the various alien clones they need (soldiers, scientists, pilots, engineers etc) in a medium time period. Many scientific and military agents suggested using these chambers in order to easily and efficiently clone troops. The possibility of using these devices in order to provide rapid production of X-Corps soldiers has been rejected due to a variety of problems. Setting ethical issues aside, we are left with overwhelming technical issues. The incubators need a great quantity of common earth power (7) in order to start their operation and maintain an optimal growth state for the embryo. If we intend to use Xenium, the operation and maintenance of the incubators is also highly inefficient cost wise. Finally yet importantly, we cannot acquire the great quantities of Verticulant (6) tissue needed for this kind of reproduction, as it is dangerous to capture/grown live verticulants (6), difficult and costly to sustain them and practically impossible to collect the large quantities needed for cloning many soldiers. Nonetheless, feeding DNA strings to all these verticulant tissues is a time-consuming and expensive procedure.

- Major Tommy J. Fork

(1) "grows up" (no hyphenation needed)

(A) I know it's been said before, but why is this paragraph in here? at the very least it needs to be shortened

(2) "specimens" (is that what you meant? you listed all species before... I think the important issue is that the individuals are all genetically identical)

(3) "strange" used twice. perhaps "intriguing"?

(4) "mentally stimulating" sounds... weird.

(5) " fetus' " (no additional s needed)

(6) the name is "Ventriculant"

(7) "common earth power" ???

looks good. and it's really long, too... some people will be happy :)