10 replies to this topic

#1 Xer0

Xer0

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 09:49 PM

Low on cash? Those nations sigining secret pacts with the aliens? Well, look no more to outside help, and start liquidating your assets!

A heavy plasma economy has been an extremely large help to me financially. That is, selling all your heavy plasmas and heavy plasma clips. After accumulating a large number of heavy plasmas throughout the game, just sell them all. You can easily gain over 20 million purely from this, with each heavy plasma selling at about $144,000 each.

This is a very effective strategy, since you will probably not need many heavy plasmas to begin with. Having a squad of about 6, you really don't need the 70+ heavy plasmas/clips that you have in surplus. Start selling, and soon money will not be much of an issue to you, which is a big bonus later on in the game.

#2 Mark0

Mark0

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:13 PM

u forgot something
more space in general stores :rolleyes: :P

#3 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:26 PM

Heavy plasmas are your cash lifeblood. Period. The government funding can be left for paying for your base costs, salaries and leases. Producing and selling equipment helps, though it pales in comparison to a quick collection of heavy plasmas from a raid on a UFO or alien base (a 'resource raid').

The barest minimum you should keep is one gun and clip per soldier and that's that. In fact, if you use lasers as a go-between, you don't even need to stock any heavy plasmas. Just grab the heavy plasmas that you need in the battlefield. There's plenty. They grow off trees. Everyone and their great grandmother thrice removed has one. ;)

All the other heavy plasmas will just clog up your stores when the base gets attacked. Very bad if you really want some of the more primitive weapons, like stun rods and rockets.

All excess plasma rifles and pistols should be sold off as well. However, if you plan to use either weapon, be sure to hoard the ammo, as these weapons become very scarce as the game progresses.

Mind probes are also good for decent cash bonuses, as they tend to be very profitable (very!) and you only ever need one or two for the whole game (give or take).

Power units and navigation units are also a good source for cash. You only need to keep 1 power unit and 1 navigation unit per hybrid aircraft that you plan to build, and add an extra power unit per Avenger.

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#4 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:19 AM

Heheh, I already sell my equipment/corpses after every mission. The extra money is unbelievably good. It's possible to have 7 other radar bases by the middle of March if you sell alien equipment. :) (with HWD by the end of the month)
Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#5 Micah

Micah

Colonel

• [[Administrators]]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 01:02 PM

I prefer to build a storage base and accumulate hundreds of heavy plasmas and thousands of alloys and elerium, but then I've also been called a packrat at times :)

#6 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:09 AM

I prefer to build a storage base and accumulate hundreds of heavy plasmas and thousands of alloys and elerium, but then I've also been called a packrat at times :)

and after cydonias gone, you use it for ship missions some 10 years later? :)

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#7 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 04:15 PM

I wouldn't say heavy plasma are your cash life blood "period". I'd say your factories producing their safe/reliable/at-no-cost 24 M$/mo/factory are. Funding from nations and from "loot" should simply be seen as bonus. That's not to say you dont get a ton of money from ground missions, I just prefer not to depend on that. Once done with the early game I go on ground missions for 2 reasons:

1 ) because I must (inflitration for example),
2 ) to gain experience.

I prefer to assalt small UFO's for experience rather than large ones as they have small crews and so the missions are safer so to speak. Afterall, the point of the mission as I said is to train; the dead make poor students. Loot nabbed in the course of this should be seen as bonus and nothing more. I'd try to never depend on ground missions for meeting budget; of course exraordinarily bad luck might make you take that gamble a particular month, unless of course you budget for that too.

The backbone of your funding should be the sale of laser cannons. That being said I'd agree that the sale of heavy plasma are the best/chief funding vector for unbudgeted asset winfalls. One should plan how much alien stuff the organization will need when you are "fully" set-up (including strategic reloads). Beyond that, of course, sell, sell, sell.
Posted Image
I'm starting to like the heavy cannon more and more.

#8 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 04:59 PM

The heavy plasma economy (and a bunch of other things, like extra UFO components and other UFO widgets that don't have any practical use) is perfect if you've got a steady supply of supply ships (you just cannot avoid making that pun). After that, funds and returns from manufacturing cannons is pretty much pocket change. I mean, by then, you'll have so much money that you won't even know what do with it all! I must admit that this is the lazier method that tries to achieve a lot by performing as little as possible (and you also end up developing very good strategies against supply ships).

Production of laser cannons (or if you're lucky, fusion ball launchers, to use up the huge pile of alloys) and selling them for profit is highly useful in the early stages of the game where funds are scarce (particularly if you aim to get hundreds and hundreds of technical staff as soon as you can). I suppose with massive teams of 250 - n (where n = workspace) engineers at several bases churning out laser cannons can pull in a pretty hefty profit.

Well, I guess it really depends on how you go about attaining self sufficiency. Anything to get away from relying on the government funding and to get to a point where money is no longer an issue.

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#9 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:05 AM

Yes, the goal should be to be independent of governement funding. Once in that situation, preventing infiltration is simply a matter of pride and nothing more since I seem to be the one blessed with a version of Xcom where governements come back.

Early on (ie before you have laser cannons and the manned facilities to produce them in large numbers) I'd also agree that "loot" is more-or-less your main source of funding; what else is there really (please see my "When to stock-up on engineers" thread :sly: ). Of course in this case such missions would fall under the "missions I must do" category. :sly: But once I'm in a situation where such missions are not /musts/ I prefer they stay that way, and factories help to make that happen.

There is one thing I'm sure we'd 100% agree on: manufactiuring UFO Navigation for profit is a baaaaaad idea. :rolleyes:
Posted Image
I'm starting to like the heavy cannon more and more.

#10 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:01 AM

I get tons of money. Every month, sell a bunch of heavy plasma, corpses, and extra power sources and navigations(i don't think anyone ever needs 20) and i become a super rich cool guy
Top Secret Xenocide Status report

BF2 Hackers =5SF= have busted
]sD[ Engageo <-- couldn't get him banned though, no screenshot of him ingame
]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image
I hate spider solitaire...

#11 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:28 PM

Of course, who needs more than one corpse anyway... Better sell it to science :D
The surplus weapons/alloys/navigation/ are all pretty easy to obtain, so I'd say to keep a bare minimum.
I do remember a particular game (wayyy back, like ten years ago when XCOM came out) I used to have a base with 200+ engineers churning out (each month)hundreds of Heavy Plasma Guns (if I remember correctly, they don't cost Elirium to build?), and then sell them for a hefty profit...
Imagine my suprise when that particular base was attaked. Since I'd forgotten to sell them for a few days, I had like 75 Heavy plasma and absolutely NO amno...
Since this was prior to TFTD, the neat little button to see what's next in the equipment screen did'nt exist yet, so there was no way I could get my soldiers equipped in time... :explode:
It really was a case of reloading 2 minutes before the base was attacked, to sell all those excess guns I imagine those guys taking the guns in a hurry while a Battleship is comming right on top of them... :LOL:

suffice it to say, manufacturing and loot selling clearly outshines any other source of financement after a few months ^_^

I get tons of money.  Every month, sell a bunch of heavy plasma, corpses, and extra power sources and navigations(i don't think anyone ever needs 20)  and i become a super rich cool guy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"You're just jealous because the voices in my head only talk to me."

"I only think this stuff up ..
then I have to write it down so it doesn't corrupt the rest of my brain.. "

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened.
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy)"