XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Alien Artifacts Research

Rwn

• 1 month later...
I can see not putting the research tree into the manual, and make the player figure out what to do. Do you also not tell them they have to build alien containment, catch a particular alien alive, and research it to win the game? Or only tell them that much and let them catch every one to figure out which it is? Do you tell them they need a navigator, as well as a commander? Consider all the games out there that have research trees. I can't think of one that doesn't tell you what each part does, and the dependencies between each. You could do it here, but imagine all the help requests as people can't figure out what to do to win.

IIRC I've seen a game which only told you what research options are once you've investigated the previous item on the list. e.g. Interogate a Leader and it tells you there is a research item "Cydonia" that requires interogating a Commander. So you know "what's next" and you know what the requirements are. Does that make any sort of sense?

You could even make it more complex so that when you have a tech that requires two child techs to have been investigated you might learn of a requirement that you don't even know exists yet. Also some could have no precursors - so you have techs that you only know you can investigate once you've recovered a specific item.

Although expert players will know the tech tree and presumably it will be available too from unofficial sources I think that sort of feature is fun because half of the original stuff is about working out what the problem is so you can work out a solution.

You could even make it more complex so that when you have a tech that requires two child techs to have been investigated you might learn of a requirement that you don't even know exists yet. Also some could have no precursors - so you have techs that you only know you can investigate once you've recovered a specific item.

*coffalienweaponscoff*

^_^