8 replies to this topic

#1 tgfx

tgfx

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 07:45 AM

<_< I downloaded the X-com1 from the link provided and was wondering if anyone has the real alien screems and sounds????

#2 Micah

Micah

Colonel

• [[Administrators]]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 09:43 AM

As opposed to the fake ones? I possess 3 different versions of UFO Defense: 1.2, 1.4, and CE. All of the sample#.cat sound effect files are identical. If something sounds worse, blame it on your sound card and go dig up a sound blaster 16 isa card :P

#3 tgfx

tgfx

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 11:38 AM

:beer: I have soundblaster 32 pro so now i dont think it me card. Just thought that it may have been diff from the original game.

#4 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 12:55 PM

It seemed as though they changed the alien death sounds to me. In ce, when I kill a sectoid, he makes a lame "uhhh" sound that sounds like a big ballon. In the original dos version, they had that really cool sound that was like a screech.
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#5 Apocca

Apocca

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 02:00 PM

Those sounds from defense are way ugly. Dos version sounds are better indeed. Although I have a new soundcard now which makes the intro sound so bad :(. It doesn't even make the voice sounds in the intro anymore. You know the "Warning, UFO located". Geoscape sound is also better than the defense version.

#6 Pallidar

Pallidar

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 10:09 PM

I don't think the CE version has the new sounds. That, or my integrated soundcard can't play properly.

I mean, the intro movie sounds was wayy better. Mutons screeching, and that "Warning, Warning, UFO Located" was just cool.

Now, bleh. Still, its X-Com.

#7 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 04:37 AM

The CE still has all original sounds (the intro sound too), as Micah said, and I also tested it a while ago, they're just not being used anymore :wacko:
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#8 Micah

Micah

Colonel

• [[Administrators]]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 08:20 AM

Right, you can take a sound editor, like cooledit, and find all those sound effect and music files among all the midi and sample.cat files, but the game isn't using them. I think this was a change that was instituted with the v1.4 patch for the old dos version (which the CE is partially made of) and which everyone knows messed up the sound in the game. You could experiment by copying some sound files over the others, but that could come out really bad. Otherwise, you'll have to get a copy of the floppy version 1.2, which I'm sure I can find a link for if anyone was interested in the it.

#9 Sgt. Thematic

Sgt. Thematic

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:47 AM

The CE still has all original sounds (the intro sound too), as Micah said, and I also tested it a while ago, they're just not being used anymore :wacko:

This appears to be the case in Amiga CD32 UFO:EU (Tactical md5sum c910e6235fcc2295df89c659e6da1187) as well, except the samples are in IFF 8svx format. I do not hear them in-game.
"The guerrilla band is an armed nucleus, the fighting vanguard of the people. It draws its great force from the mass of the people themselves. The guerrilla band is not to be considered inferior to the army against which it fights simply because it is inferior in fire power. Guerrilla warfare is used by the side which is supported by a majority but which possesses a much smaller number of arms for use in defense against oppression." - Che Guevara