XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Is It Just Me?

Cpl. Facehugger

I notice it all the time :P It's because the forums are on a virtual account on a mysql server that handles a lot of databases, and when a few of the other dbs get really busy, the rest go down hill until the host pulls the plug on the malcontent db. It's all about $$$ and a dedicated mysql host with a good all around package costs more money.

I had a lot of this problem a while ago but haven't had that even once for a week or two! Am I just lucky and have been here on silent times? I don't know. Edited by Nyyperoid

I try and do something about it in a few weeks. Part of the problem is really being able to tell if a particular service suits our needs until after I've paid them money... most offer a 30-day money back guarantee, but that would be a hassle throwing the forums on a different server every day until I find a good one.

I'm usually on each weekday sometime between 13:00gmt and 21:00gmt, and notice significant slowdowns at various times. I'm sure it's due to load balancing, but there's always the price/performance comparison. You reach that sweet spot where a 25% performance boost cost 50-100% more, and only gets worse. Is the hosting in North America, or is the actual server somewhere else? It might be worth looking at where most regular/heavy users are located and see about hosting in that region to avoid international segments, which tend to be bottlenecks. That might be cheaper than trying to get more bandwidth from the existing host. Guaranteed QoS can be pricey. But I'd support using project donations to boost server performance if it gets to where there is regular lag or problems. If it's a matter of an extra 10 bucks a month to get good access, that would be worth it. But having the cash on hand to get a critically needed app is wise too.

The current host is in Virginia. The problem resides solely in the mysql server on which the forum data (the text and user info) reside. It's a virtual server on which approximately 200 databases are stored. When ONE of those accounts gets really busy, we all suffer until their plug is pulled by the host.

So, the problem is not bandwidth, but the state of the computer which stores the database. We could, for example, go all out and pay for a dedicated mysql server, but that would not on be severe overkill, but also cost a lot of money. I'll probably aimed for a semi-dedicated one that only hosts around 10 accounts, but the problem is finding one that really lives up to the host's claims of performance. As I said, it is a priority and I'm researching it.

hmph. I guess you mean this

"forum is moved and can be found currently from here" thingy.

I suppose you'll get that xcomufo.com/forums address back soon?

Now it's something like 66.98.220.50/~xcomufo/forums

I will try to check the site at various times today, and let you know how it goes. It's pretty early yet, so saying it came up really fast isn't too helpful at this point. Thanks for putting in the effort to have it moved to a new host Micah, I know that can be quite a hassle if things don't go perfectly.

So far this forum has worked fast after the change. Before it was like:

1. Pushing a button "add reply" for example

2. waiting for 5 seconds

3. Something starts to happen and I get to the answer screen

After the change there hasn't been a single waiting period. That 5 second waiting period has gone.