4 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:02 PM

Has anyone figured out how to slow down the clock? And I already know about mo'slo. I want to slow down the clock on the geo world screen. Not the whole game.

I'm running it on a 486/100 system, and the seconds are still flicking by too darn fast. If I use mo'slo, I can slow it down some, but then of course, the whole game slows down, specially the ground combat part.

I was just wondering if anyone figured out how to affect the clock without affecting the whole game.

Thanks
Captain Chaos
"Oh crap, you mean that was a good guy?"

#2 Kratos

Kratos

UFO2000 Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:01 AM

I would think the clock is fast because the game is fast. :P

Maybe try dosbox?

Edited by Kratos, 15 September 2006 - 09:01 AM.

#3 grommet

grommet

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 04:45 PM

DOSBox is NOT gonna run well on a 486...but if you put it on a much faster computer, it would work...it does let you speed up/slow down the number of cycles that the emulated PC is running at, so you should be able to 'tweak' the speed. But on a 486, DOSBox will be hella slow, no matter what you do....

If you keep using the 486, see if it still has a 'turbo' button...486s were the last to really enable/have this feature, which could be used to slow down in geoscape (turbo off) / speed up in battlescape (turbo on)...though I'm not sure if a 486/100 would still have this, and turbo off might be TOO slow...

Grommet

#4 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:38 PM

And here I've been thinking my Pentium 133 was too slow for UFO!

Have you got Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 on the system? Try running X-Com through that. It should eat up a fair chunk of your system resources and slow down the game considerably. It's worth a try.

Also, try looking for old slowdown utilities, like Moslow. That was designed for running under dos - although you might have to perform a few clever tricks to get it to run UFO's main batch file.

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 17 September 2006 - 11:42 PM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#5 Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:13 AM

Well, I'm running DOS 6.22 on the 486. So DOSBOX is not an option. ;) I guess I'll make do with the fast clock.

I tried running it under mo'slo, but if I turned it down too much, EVERYTHING in the game slowed down, not just the clock. So I guess it's programed to run that fast anyway.

Thanks,
Captain Chaos
"Oh crap, you mean that was a good guy?"