XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Dosboz V.61 Supports Apoc!

Deathskull

whoa, this is great news, have to try that

how is the speed, is it playable?

I tried my old installation that has been messed with all kinds of cracks, cdfixes and w2k mouse drivers but it didn't work. I was able to make a fresh install from the CD through DosBox though. The intro works, with sound, there are some graphical glitches though. But after the intro the screen just flickers and it goes back to the DosBox D:\XCOMA prompt... I tried without sound but it's still the same. How come it works for you but not for me? :(

Windows 2000, I need a SVGA fix?

DosBox is a great program but u have to have a powerfull CPU. For Instance i have an old computer ( one of 2 comp in the house ) with 333 Mhz and DosBox runs pretty slow. Since i have Win Millenium (i know it sucks!) i can't play some old games but luckly ( :D ) i can play UFO Def and TFTD in it.

I have a 2.6GHz P4 C. It's funny that's it fast enough to play all current games but not fast enough for the old ones.

I don't get any errors, it just throws me back to the prompt

The DosBox prompt? .... i think i can't help u there. There was another link on this forum that talked abou DosBox u might wanna try i out.

When I try to start up Apoc, it changes resolution for a second, then throws me back to the prompt. Would that be the SVGA bug?

I can get the intro movie to start up, but that's about it.

Edit: I found out the problem was caused by a windows option. I went to the properties of my EXE, and disabled the "Close on Exit" option. It works now.

Edited by Robo Dojo 58

• 3 weeks later...
I have two Apoc installations one unmodified CD installation and one with the cd crack applied. The unmodified original installation does the jump to the DOS prompt that people are describing and nothing happens. The one with the crack runs the game fine (press ESC to skip intro or run it "xcomapoc skip") except I can't get the sound working yet. :/

• 3 months later...
Guest basagulero3d

yeah, sorry i havent regestered yet, but yeah...anyways

for xcom apoc running in DOSbox, would it be speeded up if i change the

files/buffers=20?

im running it on windows xp, p4 2.6

yeah, i used to play xcom apoc (purchasec copy) on my p75 running windows 95, even back then the fire and smoke made it seem a little bit sluggish and the sounds all jerky-ish, but anyhows...playing it on Dosbox, and getting the cpucycles is frustrating, i have it set at 1000cpu with 0 frame skip, sometimes its smooth, but it is still a bit sluggish? or is it just me, the time in the city map is weird, coz i cant tell the difference between doeble spped and 3riple speed, ultra fast is in fact super ultra crazy like speedy, its whacked, but my copy of xcom1 ce is giving me joy at the moment, so hopefully when the new version of dosbox comes out will make it nice and smooth =)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest
I can confirm that the downloaded version works with DOS-box, and is indeed quite slow. Equipping my agents and vehicles was a pain in the butt! But at least I've got plenty of time to think and react in real-time mode. I finished my first mission quite easily: as soon as I saw the enemy trying to run away, I was able to mobilize my other agents to cut 'im off at the other end of the corridor.

Ultra speed is supposed to be insanely fast. It goes 5 minutes at a time, as fast as possible. That's how you pass the days in Apoc. the 1/2 to 4X speed is for managing your fleet.

Try turning up your cycles. My P4 1.5Ghz can manage 7000 CPU cycles, with a frameskip of 2. Your computer could probably do better, too.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got it to work (run on window, surely indifferent for dosbox?; all memory option to max except first in auto, not close on exit, and set compatible timer in exe properties).

But it has no sound at all. I downloaded it from xcomdl.com. I know it has no music, but it ha sounds, I don't hear any and I can't run the setup. Any solution?

I finally got it to work (run on window, surely indifferent for dosbox?; all memory option to max except first in auto, not close on exit, and set compatible timer in exe properties).

But it has no sound at all. I downloaded it from xcomdl.com. I know it has no music, but it ha sounds, I don't hear any and I can't run the setup. Any solution?

run the setup in windows, and use settings : soundblaster,220,7,1

I can't do that.

If I try the setup.exe in dosbox it hangs; in windows (I use windows2k) it does the same than xcomapoc: goes full screen, hangs and I have to switch off the computer's back switch.

If I run win95ins.exe it says that I have to run install, but there is no install.* file in the whole xcoma folders.

I don't mess with Dosbox (though it unexplicably works for me, albeit a bit too slowly, as with Crusader)--instead, I just change to VGA mode at startup (press F8 when booting up). Whatever XP switches on/off exactly does the trick--the game runs without a hitch. Maybe you could try that?

Ultra speed is supposed to be insanely fast. It goes 5 minutes at a time, as fast as possible. That's how you pass the days in Apoc. the 1/2 to 4X speed is for managing your fleet.

Try turning up your cycles. My P4 1.5Ghz can manage 7000 CPU cycles, with a frameskip of 2. Your computer could probably do better, too.

The 2.6 Ghz Celeron isn't as fast as it's cracked up to be, or so I'm told--in fact, it gets about half the speed of some other 1.4Ghz processors (according to some game site or another--that was a while ago). I get all kinds of speed issues with my 2.6, even if I go cutting out unnecessary applications to save memory, so Dosbox doesn't run exceedingly fast. It's the frame skipping that will (hopefully) really save your speed, but even that doesn't help me much. Trying to get the game to run under windows seems like a better bet, as the game runs well enough on my computer to make compatability issues nearly transparent. Probably luck of the draw, I guess.

I don't mess with Dosbox (though it unexplicably works for me, albeit a bit too slowly, as with Crusader)--instead, I just change to VGA mode at startup (press F8 when booting up). Whatever XP switches on/off exactly does the trick--the game runs without a hitch. Maybe you could try that?

Tried and failed. :boohoo: For me DOSbox is going acceptably slow, but when I get ten aliens in sight at the same time... :rolleyes: :zzzzz:

• 3 weeks later...
The xcomdl's apocalypse, which is what  have doesn't have sound, I noticed in options the buttons that should be intended to switch on/off diferent kind of sound have no tags.

I've answered so late becaue I was waiting for my new computer to continue with it. The old was too slow for DOSbox + Apocalypse

It does have sounds, just no music, perhaps it is greyed out because you've set 'no sound' in the setup?

Edited by j'ordos