XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Apocalypse/xp Mouse is slow

Guest Jeremy

I'm using vdmsound to get xcom apocalypse to work in xp, however the mouse movement is very slow, smooth but slow, like the mouse speed is moved down once I run the game. Anyone know how to make the mouse speed faster for this?

Jeremy

Yea, it is at 100% in windows, the mouse speed in game is about 40% slower then it is in windows, I need to go up another 25% but I'm already maxed under the mouse speed settings in windows xp.

Ok.. I'm sorry there, I did not see how you were looking at my question. My delima is that even if I speed up the windows mouse speed, it does not speed it up enough while in game. For example, when the mouse speed is at 100% in windows, in the game the mouse speed moves like its at 40ish %.

Guest Warpexplorer

search the web for a little dos utility called mousectl, I think it should fix your problem. I found it here:

http://files.chatnfiles.com/Netware%20Supe...S_UTIL/UTILITY/

then just a line to the autoexec that either vdmsound loads or the default autoexec.nt, that looks something like this :

C:\Mouse\MOUSECTL.COM 6,8,15,15,15

and that should do it....

This works for me. I have XP pro on a 1.4 ghz P4, and I installed xcom3 with the fix3, and vdms. I installed mousectl.com into the vdmsound diectory and added this line to the autoexec.bat for VDMsound

C:\Program Files\VDMSound\MOUSECTL.COM 60,80,150,150,150

the numbers represent the mouse acceleration speed. (6x, 8x 15x) I experemented with the numbers until I got a speed that I liked.

if your mouse is to fast or slow with these numbers, then either decrease or increase then numbers

• 2 months later...
Guest matdjam

i got very confused over all that, but i managed to get the jist of it eventualy first i put MOUSECLT.COM into the XCOMA folder then I edited the xcom3.bat file to include the MOUSECLT.COM under the dosdrv command as shown below...

@echo off

fakecd .. /L:D >nul

xcom3_cd.com

dosdrv

MOUSECTL.COM 02,03,04,06,06,06,06,06

xcomapoc.exe SKIP

rem Uninstall process

xcom3_cd.com

fakecd /U >nul

mode co80

cls

echo.

echo X-COM3 Apocalypse from Alex-God.

echo Don't forget Microprose Corporation...

thanks for the help now i can enjoy xcom again

• 1 month later...

If you disable your autoscroll option, how do you scroll then? With arrowkeys? I have the same problem and it really eats me from inside.. Well, I'm not bored to tftd yet so I have something to do but the bouncing autoscroll keeps me away from apoc.

By the way, I know I can scroll with arrowkeys but it doesn't feel good, actually, it geels gooFY.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
uhh... how do i edit the xcom3.bat?

your right click on it and choose edit :)

it will look something like notepad

Edited by Mark0

im running xp on my 799 mhz. ( yay i just finished building my 2600 athlon, waiting for cable to use though)ok, LISTEN TO THIS. when i first installed xcom apoc i did it on my friends comp that has xp, i had the same problem, really really slow mouse movement. it had an optical mouse ( i doubt this matters) and now i downloaded all the files on my 56gay, and this time i installed it right ( :D ) and for some reason i dont have the mouse problem on this computer, optical mouse, it works perfectially.

• 1 year later...
The Mouse2kv patch fixed it for me. Now if only I could get the sound working...

What's wrong with vdmsound?

The Mouse2kv patch fixed it for me. Now if only I could get the sound working...

What's wrong with vdmsound?

I don't think anything's wrong with VDM, I think I just fubared something myself. You see, sometimes I might hear the crackling of fire or the occasional menu beep, but everything's all...er...inaudible-like. I'm trying to find out what I'm doing wrong, but so far to no avail. Hmm...

I already went to the Setup screen and input the 220 7 1 deal, but apparently something's not "clicking" right here.

Edited by The Master Maniac

• 2 months later...

I fixed the slow mouse problem with MOUSE2KV.

I just had to add this line with "mouse2kv......." in xcom3.bat between these other lines like that:

xcom3_cd.com

dosdrv

---> mouse2kv.exe 640 480 8 8 xcomapoc.exe <---

xcomapoc.exe SKIP

It works ok on my xp system now. And the sound is also working fine. I just can't hear the music. Is there any place where I can download the music files so i can enjoy the game with "full options"?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest Jangi

Once you have downloaded and installed VDM and anyone of the recomended mouse utls, you also need to change your mouse settings.

Under pointer options, Speed up the cursor and un-tag "pointer precision"....and your mouse should work fine.

I just had to add this line with "mouse2kv......." in xcom3.bat between these other lines like that:

xcom3_cd.com

dosdrv

---> mouse2kv.exe 640 480 8 8 xcomapoc.exe 

xcomapoc.exe SKIP

It works ok on my xp system now. And the sound is also working fine. I just can't hear the music. Is there any place where I can download the music files so i can enjoy the game with "full options"?

The music file is about 600 megs, last time I checked. ;)

• 10 months later...
Guest Guest_Lem3k_*
I used to use the same mouse thing although getting it to speed up has never worked for me even after changing numbers, now i dont have a .bat file to edit, im quite confused about this, is there any other way to speed the mouse up?

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest

xcom3_cd.com

dosdrv

---> mouse2kv.exe 640 480 8 8 xcomapoc.exe  <---

xcomapoc.exe SKIP

ufff at least... thanks for this.. :D My mouse going really FAST!!! YEAH!!!!!!!! JUPI!!!! =b =b =b XCOMA I come back to you!!!!

PS. If you will use new DOSBOX, you will be able to play this game without this all zip files.. with sound, and other things like that..... but at my XP I can't doing saves under this dosbox... :(

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1

sometimes you need also unpack http://www.xcomufo.com/x3cdfix.zip to game dir....