XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Graphical Problem

Guest Darkdragonman

Guest Darkdragonman

So I've followed both guides (on the main site and by Mark0) and I've made a lot of progress in getting the game to work. The game opens, sound works fine. I've installed all the cracks, including the SVGA one. I editied my config.sys for the files=20 and buffer= 20. I'm running XP and have an actual CD copy of the game fully installed. I've also changed all the .BATs and the xcomapoc.exe to run for Windows 95 with 256 colours.

I'm getting one last problem though. When I open the game it looks like this:

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/9084/apocxc8.jpg

I tried to find the answer in other topics, but no luck. Any help anyone? PLEASE!

Looks like garbled graphics. Try shutting down any and all running programs (this includes those in the system tray). At least in the first two games, certain programs running in the background can mess with graphics. See if that works. :wink1:

- Zombie

• 1 month later...

I HAD the same problem when I installed x-com 3 again a month or so ago. I can't remember what happened to fix it in the end. I already had the latest drivers for my graphics card (NVIDEA). I already had two files that were to fix the svga problem.

I checked the forum and downloaded the svga fix files again. Aside from that, I can only remember tampering with the files and settings.

I know one thing for sure: When I finally got it to work properly, I suddenly didn't have any music in the game any more. I still have sound but no music.

I can work without music. I cant, however, work with F**ked up colors. It hurts my eyes trying to look at it.

I've done svga, reinstalled, done svga again, and nothing.

I've got a Radeon X1950 pro if that helps. recently upgraded, so thats probably it.

Well, I managed to fix it- not so much a "fix" as an alternate method. I ran Apoc with Dosbox. Problem solved.

Edited by Steelion

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem the OP described, with corrupted graphics palette (also a Radeon X1950) running in native XP

(no DOSBOX), using VDMSound. (VDMSound seems to be unrelated, I get the same graphics corruption without sound enabled

at all, just talking about the method I use to get it working).

I have posted more detailed info in this thread:

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...t=0#entry166632

I just wanted to plead, if anyone out there with some technical know how can help figure this out.. It's clearly just a simple

case of pointing to the wrong palette info. Running the game in XP w/ VDMSound is far superior to DOSBOX on my system.

I can't imaging having to slog through how slow and stuttery it is in DOSBOX, even should I ever get it to not lock up every

5 minutes. And I have done extensive work with DOSBOX, including messing with scalers, sound options, memory options,

cycles, you name it. It simply does not work well, if at all. It's hard to continue messing with that when I have it running

superbly with VDMSound, and the only remaining obstacle is this graphic palette corruption.

If anyone can help, please, I beg you.. I'm sure more people will experience this in the future, with newer video cards, and

greatly appreciate some kind of fix. Please, anyone who has knowledge that can help, please do so. I am willing to provide

any info I can, and help test any programs to determine the problem and fix the issue. It seems to me it's just a matter of

getting the palette info correct, and it'll work like a champ.

Edited by Whiplashr

I also had problems, i could see the intro but after that it quitted,

then in dosbox i enabled "enable input/output control" in the mount tab and it worked.

Colours are ok, i'm using a Geforce 7950 GT and i put render mode in the general tab

to ddraw mode and cycles in environment to 25000

I also had problems, i could see the intro but after that it quitted,

then in dosbox i enabled "enable input/output control" in the mount tab and it worked.

Colours are ok, i'm using a Geforce 7950 GT and i put render mode in the general tab

to ddraw mode and cycles in environment to 25000

I appreciate your reply, but this isn't related to DOSBOX, I am trying to play the game natively in XP with VDMSound

because it works nearly perfectly like that, and in DOSBOX, it's a sluggish lockup fest at best. I have spent numerous

hours trying every kind of tweak for DOSBOX and to no avail. It's also hard to continue messing with that when I just

need to fix this palette corruption to have the game work nearly perfectly with VDMSound.

When I do play in DOSBOX, the colors are fine. This only happens when I launch the game from XP instead of launching

it in DOSBOX. Whether sound is enabled or not, it still does this palette corruption. I've tried all the stuff to force 256 colors

and 640x480 and all that. Nothing helps. It always comes up with the wrong color palette. But the game graphics appear normal

otherwise, and the game runs great. Just the psychadelic color scheme.

Edited by Whiplashr

• 1 month later...

Reinstalling doesn't do it. I bought a new computer last summer with a Radeon X1900 series card, and now I'm getting this problem too. The file I'm executing to start the game is a shortcut to a .bat file with the following text, according to instructions found on this forum:

@echo off

dosdrv

mouse2kv 640 480 8 8 XCOMAPOC.exe SKIP

I took the "SKIP" off after reading that it turned off the intro video, and the intro movie plays now and transitions to the game just fine. Perhaps another clue to solving our graphics problem: the intro movie's colors work correctly.

I'm glad this forum is still active!

• 3 weeks later...
Reinstalling doesn't do it. I bought a new computer last summer with a Radeon X1900 series card, and now I'm getting this problem too. The file I'm executing to start the game is a shortcut to a .bat file with the following text, according to instructions found on this forum:

@echo off

dosdrv

mouse2kv 640 480 8 8 XCOMAPOC.exe SKIP

I took the "SKIP" off after reading that it turned off the intro video, and the intro movie plays now and transitions to the game just fine. Perhaps another clue to solving our graphics problem: the intro movie's colors work correctly.

I'm glad this forum is still active!

I only had this problem after installing the SVGA patch.

before installing the patch the pallete appears fine for me, but sometimes in-game I get graphic corruption which clears when i move my mouse around the corrupted area

my laptop often had a flickering problem, but saving and reloading fixed that easily.

Well, just keep at it.

if needed just download a torrent version, its clear you are using the Dos version.

The collectors addition seems to run fine without much error.

I have the dos on Cd and it doesnt install on my xp, so I cant speak much from experiance on Xp with a Dos version :(

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd throw this out there:

I was having problems getting mine to work as well. It seemed I could only get it to run with good graphics and no sound or vice versa. How I fixed it, though, was to go into DOSBox, mount the drive then do Alt + Enter to get full screen (key step), and then run the file.

It would only work if I did alt enter BEFORE running the vdms game file. If I did it after the game ran it would screw up in game and not scroll properly nor play sound.

XP with Radeon 1900.

Hope this helps someone. It sure drove me nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

I found myself afflicted by this frustrating ... problem.

Half a year ago, when, with great trouble I managed to get Apoc running on XP (without sound, though - I am perfectly willing to play it without anyways), everything was fine, I shot lots of aliens and Cultists and the world rejoiced.

Now, half a year later, I start the game - to alleviate the never-ending boredom plagueing me - and find myself confronted with a nightmareish mess of colors.

Which is bad.

Of course, reading through these forums let me arrive at one point: My Graphics card (ati radeon 1650) is responsible.

Before any of you ask, yes, I have tried dosbox. But while it works on dosbox with the colors intact. I still have no sound AND, because my pc is old and the cpu is not the best it could be, it is intolerably slow and laggy. As in 3-frames-per-second-and-100%-cpu-usage laggy. Which takes the fun out of the game - no sound AND horrible stuttering = bad.

I've tried everything my mind could come up with - including creating an entire virtual pc solely to play x-com apoc on (but it refuses to even START, mangy reprobate program that it is. not even on win98 -_-""")

If /anyone/ here has even the slightest hint how to fix this annoying color distortion, I shall build an altar for you, complete with a almost-real brainsucker on top.

A very, very depressed c :(