XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Delegate Mission

Guest Azrael Strife

I personally enjoyed much the Delegate Mission option in UFO:Aftermath (in fact, it's one of the only things I enjoyed). I mean, I like a good battle (especially in Real Time), but there are times I just want to finish a research and a terror site or crash site interrupts my patient wait and it just annoys me, especially in the later stages of the game when an UFO pops every five minutes. We can have the AI calculate the probabilities of success and casualties, maybe make the odds a little harder for not being there to guide the troops. I wouldn't mind losing a quad of rookies if I'm not there to watch :P

Excellent thought, especially considering X-COM weeds through so many rookies too during the recruitment phase. I think they should end up some place(s) special. Besides, they've presumably been briefed about the war if they were initially considered good enough to be offered a role in the organization to begin with - I say put their knowlege to good use even if they didn't quite make the cut for your landing crews.

You could simply say that another certain arm of the traditional militaries were set up to augment X-COM, handling those crash sites or situations that would have spread you too thin otherwise but at the cost of some success/failure rate plus prestige/funding and salvage rights if you didn't do it yourself.

Thinking about this a second, this part makes sense. Imagine that a country got in some successes using these washouts, it starts to make sense their drop in funding isn't a result of infiltration at this point, but a perception change to one of "So what are we paying X-COM so much for?"

I like it, but if the costs to having or using the option has some interesting consequences attached.

I don't know what you referring to, but I think the point of this though was that to use it meant you'd forgone control in the hopes of garnering some favorable outcome. To rely on it early game might help, especially during infiltration attempts until you've built up, but to rely on it a lot should mean a negative elsewhere. Reduction of funding would be the most favorable negative here if used too much I feel. Countries signing pacts with aliens doesn't have to be the sole reason for funding cuts in my opinion. It might be the inevitable outcome for some, but before that, there's probably all sorts of diplomatic and military stuff going on behind the scenes you can't always be there to force a change.

The idea sounds to me like a decent stop gap sort of measure a person might use, just enough to get a graph point to change ever so slightly in a positive direction while you were doing something else. At the same time, realize that a country could still remain on good terms with you, yet feel (if your using this method way too much) that it could handle the alien threat without you. This would be an interesting development indeed.

Actually I thought this was an auto-resolve option for battles, instead of playing out a standard battle.  You let the computer play the battle for you to save 10-20 minutes.

Exactly :), Snakeman, have you played UFO:Aftermath? When you had a mission which was not plot-critical, you could either ignore it, intercept and send troops, and delegate mission, when you delegate a mission you send military troops AI-controlled and they fight for you, I was thinking that for Xenocide.

Oh, I haven't experienced the autoresolve thing in a game that I can recall (I'm sure if I think long and hard about it I might have and not known it). In any case, I suppose that's what I mean. I was just picturing it as a pop up if you clicked a crash site and/or terror site, and if the option was there, you could choose 'delegate'/'resolve using locals' or some such terminology, but you'd get the results right away.

Az, naw, I can't say I've managed to get my mits on Aftermath. I'm still sort of in this financial bubble where I haven't been able to upgrade to a new computer in quite some time, so there's many a game I have on my list come time to raid the bargin bin :)

On the plus side, I've snuck a few games on my mom's computer to try out whenever I can stop by. One of those games, Galactic Civilizations (pretty decent game) was on my shelf collecting dust for almost a year :)

The autoresolve in Jagged Alliance 2 was best i have seen... It had all essential information in single screen, and you could affect the strategy in adequate level. If your soldier was badly wounded, you could order him to retreat, or call the whole squad off if they started to get losses. The battle itself was not displayed, but soldier face pictures and essential info next to them. Time was running and pauseable, the sounds played on backgroud.

• 2 months later...
It was good in JA2. I like the auto-resolve idea with xcorp craft, but there should be a penalty somewhere. They should fight a little worse and/or funding changes. In JA2 I would usually do a better job than the auto-resolve, but the "AR" is so much faster...