XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Tftd Research Bug Fix

I'm working on a program to Fix TFTD games that had hit bugs in the research.

my TFTD Bug Fixup Uitl checks for the MC Reader, Sub Construction and Aquaplastics bugs.

For example if you finished the MC Lab with out having the an MC reader in Stores. runing resfix game_x will check for MC Labs being complete. if it is and MC reader is not avalible it marks MC reader availible for research.

Right now it does not check for an MC Reader or Sub Construction to be in your base stores. I plan to add this later, to keep with how the DOS 2.1 beta works.

If you have xcomtuil installed resfix runs automaticly after each combat on your current game.

-Blade FireLight

Edited by BladeFireLight

With my version of TFTD there's also another bug.

If one doesn't have a DeepOne corpse inside the base storage, research on Aqua Plastics doesn't become available, even if research on DeepOne corpse was already finished and there's plenty of aqua plastics in storage (which means don't sell one a deepone corpse until you start research on aqua plastics or else :) ).

Would your program be able to fix this bug too?

Also, when the program must be used, in the begining or later in the game?

Would your program be able to fix this bug too?

Also, when the program must be used, in the begining or later in the game?

it's used to fix a broken save game or automaticly after the next combat once the bug apears.

I will add detection for Aqua plastics in the next release

right now im rewriteing the code to make it more reusable on editing other aspects of xcom.

-Blade FireLight

You cannot get aqua plastics until after a deep one corpse is researched, so there's no way that you can research aqua plastics before obtaining a deep-one corpse. (There's no need for aqua plastics to be present, either, strangely enough, unlike some of the other buggier research items)

Hmm, unless, of course, this was a bug that was in editions prior to the TFTDv2 update.

Bladefirelight, could this patch possibly be incorporated to run in between calls to the various executables like Xcomutil? This would mean simply entering a battle and exiting from a battle to fix any errors that may have occured with your research.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

You cannot get aqua plastics until after a deep one corpse is researched, so there's no way that you can research aqua plastics before obtaining a deep-one corpse. (There's no need for aqua plastics to be present, either, strangely enough, unlike some of the other buggier research items)

- NKF

I'm not sure if I was clear enough, so I'll try again.

After starting research on a corpse, one can simply sell the corpse and the research will continue until the project is finished.

In the case of a DeepOne corpse, the presence of such corpse is needed for two consecutive projects, "DeepOne corpse" and then "Aqua Plastics". If I initiate the first project and then sell the corpse, I'm in trouble, even if I finished the research on it, since I can't start a very important project, "Aqua Plastics", needing the same researched corpse.

My version of the game is an older one, v 1.x, DOS version

I've just tested it in the sequence you've mentioned, and I got aqua plastics, with or without the corpse (or Aqua plastics, for that matter) in storage by the time the Deep-One corpse research was completed.

As I use a V2 patched copy, I'll take it that it's a version problem. Have you tried updating it with the TFTDv2 update?

- NKF

Bladefirelight, could this patch possibly be incorporated to run in between calls to the various executables like Xcomutil? This would mean simply entering a battle and exiting from a battle to fix any errors that may have occured with your research.

- NKF

The patch zip contains a bat file that is called by xcomtuils runxcom.bat after every combat.

so if you use xcomtuil it does this already

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi BladeFireLight,

I've used your patch, but somehow it didn't work. I'm using a gold version of TFTD with a loadfix for WinXP. What I can't research is Alien Sub Construction and the Manta tech line. Even using the patch. Is there something I need to do in-game to make it work? The patch reports it was able to fix the bug, but still no show in the research menu.

• 1 year later...
Hi BladeFireLight,

I've used your patch, but somehow it didn't work. I'm using a gold version of TFTD with a loadfix for WinXP. What I can't research is Alien Sub Construction and the Manta tech line. Even using the patch. Is there something I need to do in-game to make it work? The patch reports it was able to fix the bug, but still no show in the research menu.

I got the same problem too. Patched the game but no Alien Sub Construction option in research menu.

Here is my save

GAME_7.rar

• 3 weeks later...
Hi BladeFireLight,

Try the attached file. First extract project.dat with WinRAR. When placed in your savegame folder, it will queue the Ion Armor research topic, which seems to be the point at which the research tree is broken (Ion Armor->Mag Ion Armor->Manta [in addition to other reqs]). Finish your current research first, then save and copy this file into the savegame folder. I ran into the same snag and this worked perfectly. Hope it helps.

project.rar

• 4 months later...
Hi BladeFireLight,

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm still having the same problem with sub construction and I'd really rather not start over and run through 6 more months (in game time) just to get a Manta sub. Is there anyone out there that knows the kinks of it? or has a savegame with the manta research beginning?

-Jester

Have you done all the research necessary to obtain the sub construction? Or did you do all that before getting the sub construction store item at the research base?

- NKF

• 1 month later...

I'm taking a wild guess, but I think you'll need a lobsterman Navigator to continue to the alien sub construction. The navigator leads to the magnetic navigation, which also produces the mag ion armour.

What have you researched so far?

Edited by chowchow

Sub Construction requires three things. Sub Construction (store item), Zrbite and Transmission Resolver.

The Sub Construction store item needs to be at the research base when you complete the last of the other research items. Usually you'll get some from a USO recovery, so don't sell them all off until you've done the research.

To actually build the new subs, you'll also need to get the Mag Ion Armor. This varies slightly depending on whether you've applied the v2 patch. (Note the Collectors Edition of TFTD is already v2). The main difference being how you get Mag. Navigation. In pre-v2, you had to get a lobsterman navigator to get Mag. Navigation. In V2 and upwards, it should become available for research once you've got a sample.

- NKF

I think we play different versions of the game :) I found this file and followed the sequence that leads to Alien Sub Construction, I just changed the order of Magn. Ion Armor and Transmission Resolver. First I researched TR and then MIA, but Alien Sub Construction was at my stores for all this time. That's very strange for me. Never could finish the game of all this bugs.

--------------

UPD:

Oh! hahaha, sorry for all this disturbing stuff... Just found my own mistake - I forgot to research Zrbite!

Edited by SleepyWu

• 1 year later...

I researched a live deep one before I researched the corpse, and got nothing.

So I researched the corpse, then the plastics, then armor, and ion beam accelerators, but ion armor isn't appearing in the list of research.

Is that something this patch fixes?

You have to research another live Deep-One after you've done the Plastic Aqua Armor and Ion Beam Accelerators. It's the act of completing the research on the live Deep One with all the prerequisites present that unlocks the Ion Armor for research. Most annoying indeed, but not a problem at all once you've gotten the hang of it and know exactly when to research the right items.

Bladefirelight has a made fix for it. You can get it off Strategycore's file section. No, actually let me do the legwork for you. Here:

http://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/index.php?dlid=232

That should solve the one or two other major points in the research tree that need exact requirements or you might miss them forever - and make the game impossible to win.

- NKF

I've captured another live deep one, but it didn't appear in the research menu. I tried the patcher you linked but it doesn't detect any bugs. Is there anything else I can do or am I screwed?

That's one of the problems with Deep Ones - there are occasions where they don't show up again if you've researched them. I had a feeling the research tree fixit would've cleared this.

How far into the game are you and what sort of research have you done? One possible solution is to reset all of your research back to what it was at the start. Follow these steps:

- Make a separate backup of your game so that you can recover it if what we try here is unsuccessful

- Start a brand new game and save it.

- Copy the research.dat file from the new save's directory and overwrite the one in your current game

This should reset your research topics so you can start over. It won't stop you from producing equipment you've researched and using it. The only items you need to research to use again will be the alien weapons.

If that doesn't have much effect, try copying the projects.dat as well, which holds the list of current projects being researched.

By the way, if you're using the dos version, I highly recommend getting the v2.1 patch before trying the above. That has the added advantage of clearing up an issue with the MC-Reader research.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I'm only in the middle of May, I've got all the stuff before Ion armor researched + Gauss up to heavy gauss clip and all of the sonic weapons + thermal shock launchers added in with random aliens.

Also, MC Lab + MC Reader and the aliens I needed to research them

I've got 100 scientists working round the clock so I think I may be able to do that, but first I'll have to get some replacement weapons.

I'll post the results tomorrow sometime

Edited by Mustang

Let it be known that on June 1, 2040, the X-COM research computers suffered a catastrophic failure and all data was destroyed. Along with this, everyone has suddenly forgotten everything they've learned about alien technology.

It worked perfectly, I just had to finish a cruise ship mission before I could try it. Hopefully I can finish sonic cannon + cannon power clip in time for the next mission

Thank you very much, NKF

Edited by Mustang

I've found another alternative.

This editor allows you to edit your base's alien containment, just go in and add a Deep One Terrorist and you should be fine.

http://devisraad.com/xcom/xcom.htm

The bug seems to make the live deep ones totally unrecoverable but the editor forces it to be there and available for research.

Edit: I just confirmed it with the save I kept from before I wiped my research tree. Using this editor to add the Deep One will fix the bug.

Edited by Mustang

• 5 months later...
Hi BladeFireLight,

Try the attached file. First extract project.dat with WinRAR. When placed in your savegame folder, it will queue the Ion Armor research topic, which seems to be the point at which the research tree is broken (Ion Armor->Mag Ion Armor->Manta [in addition to other reqs]). Finish your current research first, then save and copy this file into the savegame folder. I ran into the same snag and this worked perfectly. Hope it helps.

Thanks, enzo519!!! I?ve downloaded the file and it worked to me (I couldn?t get the Ion Armor because I?ve researched the Deep One Terrorist before the Ion Beam Accelerators).