Guest Syntax Error

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MagicAndy
oo! oo! can I help?!! :wave:

Finally, a UFO remake!

If you have vacancies in creative writing/manual/documentation count me in!

Also if you need music composition/artwork etc ill give it a go (sorry I can't program or model).

Right, all you need to do is register, which I believe you have done. Now all we need is a helpful admin *whistles*

One project recruit needed here please!

(Give them a while :D thay will get here sometime)

Once you are a recruit you will be able to post in the Workshops where we do the majority of Xenocide work.

Now, music compositions and artwork are needed more than CTD work at the moment, so if you do those first and work on creative texts on the side, that would be good.

Welcome to Xenocide!

What kind of music are you looking for?
What format does it have to be in?
Are SFX needed?
Whats your take on "borrowing" music and SFX from other games?
I want to help in any way, programing ( :huh?: ) Its been 3 years since ive done anything serious so i doubt i could help there. However, Ill look around and see if i can get back on track.
Creative writing seems to be full, so no help there.
Cant draw, sorry.
Is there anything else that needs to be done?

I've been following this project for about six months or so and after seeing some of the earlier versions in action I decided I'd love to help out in the Creative Writing department. I've played through the first three Xcom games and the majority of the spin offs; the first one is definitely the best.

[quote name='NickJones' date='Jan 25 2004, 10:24 PM']What kind of music are you looking for?
What format does it have to be in?
Are SFX needed?
Whats your take on "borrowing" music and SFX from other games?
I want to help in any way, programing ( :huh?: ) Its been 3 years since ive done anything serious so i doubt i could help there.  However, Ill look around and see if i can get back on track.
Creative writing seems to be full, so no help there.
Cant draw, sorry.
Is there anything else that needs to be done?[/quote]
The sounds have to be royalty-free, meaning that they are legally free for us to use in a non-profit organization (Xenocide). Sorry, we can't just steal sounds from other games or movies.

NickJones, contact Raven Squad and HippyJon for sounds that still need to be secured.

You've both been promoted to recruits. Edited by Micah

Heya,
I'd love to help the project in someway, preferably background text ( :idea: ) and related fluff.....can do that :)
Played xcom 1-3 loads (interceptor scared me and the fps was barely a fps let alone xcom...) and often end up making backgorund fluff for all sorts of games (nothing I get paid for tho :) )

Basic programming bits I could have a go at too, but no promises there! :rolleyes: Edited by Treyguard

Hello everyone!
I stumbled onto this website/project a little while ago and all I have to say is OMG! This is the greatest thing EVER! I would LOVE to help out in anyway I can... with all of your consent and persmission, of course. ^_^
A little bit about myself:
I'm an almost-graduated Aerospace Engineering student from Ottawa, Canada. Because of that, I'd be good at adding my technical two cents on all of the technology CTs and stuff. Futhermore, I write technical documents 24/7, so I know ALL there is to know about that sort of stuff.
My programming skill (although existant) is nothing to brag about, so I don't know how much help I'd be in that sense.
And, of course, I've been playing the XCom games for years, but that should go without saying if I'm here. :D
Hope I can help!

Foozy

I'm sure you can help. Soon, a helpful admin will make you a recruit. Then, you'll be able to post in the workshops. The workshops are where we do the majority of the work on xenocide.

Programmers of any skill are required more than writers, so if you can program and do a little Creative Writing on the side, that would be great.

But if you'd rather join the CTD, you should take a look at the assets list: [url="http://www.projectxenocide.com/ctassets/creativetext.html"]CTD Assets list[/url]

That tells us what is done, and what still needs doing in the realm of the CTD. If you want to work on an already in progress CT (Ex: Interceptor) you should contact the person writing it. Often, they will just hand the CT to you because they don't have time for it at the moment.

Also, you should base your Text on whatever art concept there is, because the text is always going to get changed to fit the art, not the other way around. <_<

Welcome to Xenocide!

Hey Nixnihil,

Welcome to the group, once you're promoted to recruit you can look around the Workshop/X-Net forum at current texts, and there's a list there showing what still needs to be done.

I moved your post with attachment into the CTD X-Net forums.

Edit: also moved your first two attachment posts into off topic/artwork forum so others would see them. Posting work here gets limited review as this is mainly an administrative thread for membership.

Welcome to the team! Edited by Breunor

IMO = In My Opinion.
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

Don't worry, I have learned these shortenings here too ^_^

And you'll see at least me use AFAIK and IIRC a lot: As Far As I Know, and If I Remember Correctly. Check out [url="http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/"]http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/[/url] for more variations.

LOL breaunor.

ILTNMMAMOTCHYCFAPMSFTJ
I'd Like To Nominate Mike Meyers As Moderator Of This Conference. Honestly, You Couldn't Find A Person More Suited For The Job

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='blehm' date='Feb 22 2004, 12:03 AM']do i post here to become a recruit too, i posted in the other forum also[/quote]
You post your desire to be a xenocide worker in the Rectuitment center. Where doesn't really matter. One of the admins will see your post eventually.

i want in...btw i am Puerto Rican so if there isnt someone doing a Spanish version, i wanna help! also my Japanese is okay, so if you want we can do that too.... i might be able to even convince my wife to help out with Konji(Japanese Symbols) characters or just keep it Romanji(Roman Alphabet)....

Greetings =)

I would like to add my "app" for becoming a creative writer for the xenocide project :)
(I like to speak in my ol' joking manor, so plz don't worry about the many smiley =D)

Due to the fact that I've only got limited knowledge in Programming and a little bit more knowledge in Modelling (even though I've got tools), I think would be best to show what I could do to help the project.
I've played nearly all xcom titles besides Xcom-Interceptor with my life and soul - like many of us hehe.

[b]Example of what I can do[/b]
I enjoy writing much, especially sci-fi stories :D
I guess the best example is here:
[url="http://www.mediaminer.org/fanfic/view_st.php?id=15244"]http://www.mediaminer.org/fanfic/view_st.php?id=15244[/url]

194 pages of a scifi fanfic which I write nearby (and it's not at the half yet =)).

If there was one thing about Xcom Apoc/Ufo that inspired me, then it would be the Ufopedia texts with the images you see along with researched items.
I'm american, but I live in Germany, so translation to german is also not a prob for me =)

I would love to get in touch with others of the project, including music (like music ^^), image (like to draw and develop the weaponary things) and programming team =)

Hehe
I dont wanna sound like "teh badass dude that knows everything" - I'm a noob afterall :unsure:
Learning things alone could take a century - and I think its best to learn-by-doing along with a project that you like to do.

So I hope I can assist :D

So long
The Groovechampion

Groovie can be contacted with:

Email: md_geist2002 at web.de
AIM: EL SPARKI 2003

:ph34r:

I notice that you have already been elevated to project member recruit. This is good. It allows you to post in the workshops where we do the majority of the Xenocide work.

Programmers are currently required the most, so if you can program at all, please contact Red Knight. (Via PM or Email) Or Mamutas

Sound artists are also needed, so if you want to do that, contact Raven Squad via PM or Email.

If you want do do art, contact Deimos or Breunor.

If you want to work on the CTD like myself or dipstick, contact Breunor.

[quote]i want in...btw i am Puerto Rican so if there isnt someone doing a Spanish version, i wanna help! also my Japanese is okay, so if you want we can do that too.... i might be able to even convince my wife to help out with Konji(Japanese Symbols) characters or just keep it Romanji(Roman Alphabet)....[/quote]

If you want to start translating you can always check the creative assets list
[url="http://www.projectxenocide.com/ctassets/creativetext.html"]http://www.projectxenocide.com/ctassets/creativetext.html[/url]

and the x-net data base viewer
[url="http://www.projectxenocide.com/artassets/viewer/xnet.htm#"]http://www.projectxenocide.com/artassets/viewer/xnet.htm#[/url]

I started some work in french on this tred
[url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3665"]http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3665[/url]
You can also post your work there.
[b]Important[/b]
Keep in mind that the text can change between now and release.

Kelfka

Like everyone else in this topic, I'd like to work on Xenocide as a project member recruit. I'm terrible at writing resumes, so this is going to be rather informal.

I am a good (the happy medium between ego and modesty) writer, with a passion for science fiction, X-Com, computer gaming, and writing in general. I don't have any special programming or artwork skills, although I do have a very good vocal range, for when it becomes necessary to record voices(human and alien), but neither do I have any objection to criticism, cooperative writing efforts, or completely altering my first draft until it's completely unrecognizable.

There, that's over with without too much blood or too many tears.

I'm interested in helping with Creative Texts.

I am also posting in the programmer's recruitment thread, and mostly want to program, but I have been told I am a good copy editor, and can pick out a lot of mistakes.

I'm not AS good at creative writing as I am at correcting it ( :blink: ) but if necessary I can contribute in that area as well.

Programming!? Excellent! Please focus on it!

An admin will make you a recruit soon enough, from there you should contact Red Knight or Mamutas for an assignment.

(the Project Member Recruit group is the only ones, besides full members and seniors that are allowed to post in the workshop forums where the majority of Xenocide work is done.)

Welcome to Xenocide!

Guest Azrael
Hello!, I'm Azrael and I'd like to help with the creative writing, also, I could help with an eventual translation to Spanish. I know all details about X-Com games, weaponry, aliens, storyline, you can count me in. Edited by Azrael151

You are now a project member recruit. You can post in the workshops where we do the majority of the Xenocide work. Check the X-Net section of the workshops for the new names list. Then, contact Breunor for an assignment.

Welcome to Xenocide!

Hi, i have been looking around the forums and am really impressed wiht what you are trying to achieve here.

I would love to help but unfortunately i have no programming skills and my artistic abilities are unfortunately only in RL not on a comupter medium so i offer myself up as a creative writer.

Luckily i have a very active imagination and have plenty of ideas and am more than willing to come up with creative text and compile them all together so that they are coherent and link together well.

Great, as soon as a senior member reads this, they'll add you as a Recruit.

In the meanwhile, read this: [url="http://www.projectxenocide.com/ctassets/creativetext.html"]http://www.projectxenocide.com/ctassets/creativetext.html[/url]

:)

Hello, well since i can't reply to the threat in lost and found [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3902"]here[/url] i figure i would reply here, by the way i am no programmer, and even less of an artist or musician, last time i was here i went into the Creative Text Dept, but right there and then i disappeared do to RL.

Right now i am willing to help but still have not gotten my life completly together, so i will only promise what i can offer and that is a part time helper.
I guess Creative Text will be the dept I also realized that the research tree has been updated with almost all of the names.

In any ase i hope to here for the boss,

and RK you don't remember me!!!!!!

Que cosas de la vida :) bueno

See you later guys.

I wish, yet I words cannot express my thrill for I have found this site.

I am very keen on taking part in such a marvellous project. I am convinced this XCom awakening, will be a game with soul, same as the original UFO is.

The great thing about it, is that it lets you express your creativity. It is unlike most other games wich have a "single solution" to the problem and a "single problem", in the UFO you have options and there is a lot of randomizing, wich is great for it makes it virtually an infinite game (You don't have to go to Cydonia!! This way my friend and I have played it beyond 2005!) ...

I shall better say no more, for I have to say too much.

I've been thinking A LOT, about "recreating" UFO long time before came accross Xenocide project, therefore you might find some of my "thinkings" useful.

Me and two friends of mine who are also VERY interested in the project, are willing to contribute the cause as much as we can. I guess writing and new ideas would be our terrain, for, unfortunately, programming knowledge we do not have...

cd12, Slovenia

Welcome. You had best check out the names in the X-net portion of the workshop (after am admin makes you a recruit) because we aren't using the old names due to legal snags. We would perfer it if everyone refered to the new names when talking about an item, so that atari/hasborg doesn't send their lawyers after us.

To get an assignment, contact Bruenor via PM. And check out the CTD assets list for information about what is done and what isn't. Also, try to familiarize yourself with the discussions in the workshops.

Soon, an admin will make you a recruit. Recruits and above are the only ones that can post in the workshops, where we do the majority of Xenocide work. You can tell when you are a recruit by your group. At the moment it is "Forum Members" When you are a recruit, it will say "Project Member Recruit."

Most importantly, Welcome to Xenocide. Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

• 3 weeks later...
Hey all,

This post is to indicate my interest in helping with the project. I'm primarily interested in helping out with X-Net entries, but could also help with general document-based needs. I'm an electrical engineering student, with a physics minor, so if scientific accuracy is required (or desired), I hopefully can add to that. I've also worked as a copy editor (strange enough for an engineer, makes more sense when you realize my mother was an English teacher), so I'm used to the revision process.

I also, like I imagine everyone here, think X-com is high on the list of best games ever. I am looking forward to doing my part in creating a game that captures the heart, without the glitches and crashing.

Someone care to "recruit" me?

Dave

I won't be too original if I say that what you're doing is a fine job. Although making a game better then X-com I and II is almost impossible you seem to be able to achieve this goal. That's why I decided to join this incredible project and spend some free time on preparing documenation, x-com entries and maybe in future some programming stuff.
At the moment I'm a student of Applied Linguistics I speak fluently German, English and of course Pollish as I come from Poland. I learn a lot about descriptive grammar and all the other stuff. So I definitely what to write and how to write:) I'm planning to study computer science. Maybe in the future I will also be working on Xenocide's source code.
I hope that you'll give me chance to show what I can and that I'll gain some experience this way. Ohh. I'm so excited, while writing this message that my hands are shaking. Ok that would be all.
Jack

Firstly welcome to xenocide milesteq and Kikanaide. One of the admins will be along shortly and will make you into recruits and you'll be able to participate. If you want to have a read up of the ctd area in the workshops you'll get the idea of what we've done so far and what needs doing still. (Lots of work in the CT ;)) Breunor is the senior member you want to get in touch with if you have any problems. Best thing to do to let the rest of the team get to know you and vice-versa is to post.

Again welcome to xenocide.

Greetings,

I happened to run across the Xenocide project about a week ago, while I was searching for a complete walkthrough to Interceptor. (no dice there, it wasn't the most popular game, as I'm sure you're well aware... especially if you're saying 'X-Com: Interceptor... what?) After falling in love with the UFO models I decided to take a look around, and I'd like to help with the X-net entries. Having looked at which topics have been assigned and which have not, I'd like to take on the descriptions of the [Battleship] and [Supply Ship] UFOs.

As a side note, while my own writing falls into the realm of fantasy, I'm an avid reader of both fantasy and sci-fi, and I hope that I can contribute to this project.

If you're looking for a interceptor walkthrough, there's one on www.gamefaqs.com. But the problem with a walkthrough is that interceptor have very few set battles, so a walkthrough can only provide a bit of help with strategy and such.

Anyway, if you want to do those entries, go right ahead. You won't be able to post in the workshops until some helpful admin makes you a recruit, however. Just give them some time. Welcome to Xenocide!

Walkthrough for Interceptor? I can give you major tips, with the aid of the book that I have. It even goes into the formulae that the computer uses to calculate things and the things it cheats with....

Just PM me, or post in the forums.

Nah, I'm alright... it's not exactly that hard to beat, at least on Beginner. :D I just like reading the database entries on the various alien species and the technology. I suppose I'll just have to spend time and research things instead. *chuckles*

Cool enough then. I think I'll go look and see if anyone's crafted preliminary models of the [Supply Ship] or [Battleship], I know names are still being decided on for the ships... now to see if anyone's talked at all about concepts of what they should look like or do.

^_^ alright...
[quote name='bruenor']Hey JE, just head over to the Lobby/Recruitment Center forum to hop back into the mix.[/quote]

and so i'm here.. um.. yea I would like to get back in the mix. In the past(last year) I was fooling around in a couple things before some real life matters took away all my time. Things are sorted out now so I'd like to help out agian. I guess if you want to see what i've done in the past just look at all my previous posts. As far as some of my creative writing take a look at [url="http://www.meetpaulblack.com/"]my site[/url], here is one of the "stories" i've fooled with

[url="http://www.meetpaulblack.com/the_marriage.html"]The Marriage[/url]

if you want any other info feel free to ask :D

I'm interested in working on this project. I'm in no way-shape-or-form anything but a guy with an imagination. I can't translate any languages, or write the next American Novel. But I have a big imagination and a kid at heart mentatlity. Along with that I believe I have will and determination to contribute to something as big as.... I'd like to say the NEXT X-Com game.

Please e-mail me or send me a message, because I'd very much like to see how I could contribute.

If a senior member would like to get into more direct contact with me please send me a message using the following.

AIM: Icefenix54
MSN: [email protected]

Thanks for taking your time to read this.