XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Translation Taskforce?

Guest Azrael Strife

Just to sum up, here's a list of what we have, not sure whether some of the members are available or not, specially those belonging to the Forum Members group (except for Paladin, I see him around :D)

PORTUGUESE - FLATRON, SUPSUPER

FRENCH - DIPSTICK, TSEREVE (RUDIMENTARY), CAPUT, PALADIN

SPANISH - AZRAEL

POLISH - JUDGE DEADD

CHINESE - YUANJIANGNI

HEBREW - CAPUT, REIST

FINNISH - PUASONEN

GREEK - KAFROS

RUSSIAN - GORYNICH, CENTURION (PROOFREAD)

DANISH - MIKKER

HUNGARIAN - CENTURION

Edited by Azrael

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Azrael,

I think Flatron said he can translate into brazilian portuguese and SupSuper into portuguese (from Portugal). So, we got one translator for each language. But, I can help you translating into brazilian portuguese too. Just say if I´m in.

See ya!

Just to sum up, here's a list of what we have, not sure whether some of the members are available or not, specially those belonging to the Forum Members group (except for Paladin, I see him around :D)

PORTUGUESE - FLATRON, SUPSUPER

FRENCH - DIPSTICK, TSEREVE (RUDIMENTARY), CAPUT, PALADIN

SPANISH - AZRAEL

POLISH - JUDGE DEADD

CHINESE - YUANJIANGNI

HEBREW - CAPUT, REIST

FINNISH - PUASONEN

GREEK - KAFROS

RUSSIAN - GORYNICH, CENTURION (PROOFREAD)

DANISH - MIKKER

HUNGARIAN - CENTURION

ελληνικός? Right? Do we really need that? :P

If needed I can translate to Dutch, but I prefer my games in English so I won't do it for myself :P

Oh, and French and German if really needed... though I wouldn't really trust myself with that :D

Edited by j'ordos

PORTUGUESE - FLATRON (BRAZIL), LATE MR. DOUGLAS (BRAZIL), SUPSUPER (PORTUGAL)

FRENCH - DIPSTICK, TSEREVE (RUDIMENTARY), CAPUT, PALADIN, J'ORDOS (UNWILLING :P)

SPANISH - AZRAEL

POLISH - JUDGE DEADD

CHINESE - YUANJIANGNI

HEBREW - CAPUT, REIST

FINNISH - PUASONEN

HELENIC - KAFROS

RUSSIAN - GORYNICH, CENTURION (PROOFREAD), J'ORDOS

DANISH - MIKKER

HUNGARIAN - CENTURION

DUTCH - J'ORDOS

Edited by Azrael

If needed I can translate to Dutch, but I prefer my games in English so I won't do it for myself :P

Oh, and French and German if really needed...

First of all, it is NOT RIGHT :P

1) "ελληνικός" is an ADJECTIVE used in order to describe MASCULINE NOUNS, i.e. ελληνικός καφές (hellenic coffee), ελληνικός γαμιάς (in free translation, greek lover, έτσι astral? :P :P :P) etc...

In order to describe the language (which is feminine btw), you should use "ελληνική γλώσσα". Usually, we use the "neutral gender" for languages (and MANY other things), so we could say "Ελληνικά" in order to describe the hellenic language

2) You should use a CAPITAL "ε", this should give us Ελληνικά, or Ελληνική γλώσσα (Hellenic language)

If you think that comment #2 isn't important, then I could also say in english (as a full and correct sentence):

"my english are very well indeed! you got in to the rost? do you think we have the lowers for fun?!"

aaaand, WHY IS GREEK LESS IMPORTANT THAN DUTCH OR GERMAN OR FRENCH??? :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Φάε χαλαρόπιτα! :P

Edited by kafros

so....the result of that means hellenic=greek, or did I miss something?

Also, j'ordos, check Az's list - it definitely says russian....

Finally, I can't understand that ....for lack of a better word....gibberish you were spouting.... I could not say WHAT language it was, except it seemed like russian.

Oh, and French and German if really needed...

First of all, it is NOT RIGHT :P

1) "ελληνικός" is an ADJECTIVE used in order to describe MASCULINE NOUNS, i.e. ελληνικός καφές (hellenic coffee), ελληνικός γαμιάς (in free translation, greek lover, έτσι astral? :P :P :P) etc...

In order to describe the language (which is feminine btw), you should use "ελληνική γλώσσα". Usually, we use the "neutral gender" for languages (and MANY other things), so we could say "Ελληνικά" in order to describe the hellenic language

2) You should use a CAPITAL "ε", this should give us Ελληνικά, or Ελληνική γλώσσα (Hellenic language)

If you think that comment #2 isn't important, then I could also say in english (as a full and correct sentence):

"my english are very well indeed! you got in to the rost? do you think we have the lowers for fun?!"

aaaand, WHY IS GREEK LESS IMPORTANT THAN DUTCH OR GERMAN OR FRENCH??? :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Φάε χαλαρόπιτα! :P

1. Pity :(
    Looks like I'm in need of some more Greek lessons then :)

2. I know, but occasionally I don't bother with capitals. Besides, if it's an adjective it should not be a capital epsilon :P (well, maybe it does in Hellenic, wouldn't know that)

Plus I never said any language was more important than another. True, I did question the need for a Hellenic translation, but then again, I also did for a Dutch translation :D

Всем привет

thanks. :)

nazdrovje! :beer:

Edited by j'ordos

Κάτι τέτοια λέμε Καφρέ και μετά δεν αφήνουνε της γυναίκες τους μόνες να έρχονται Ελλάδα LOL

Well if i herd right in some time will see first computers based on Hellenic language :Deal: :D

@ Dipstick: No comment... O_O

@ Astral: Κάφρος ρε μάστορα, Κάφρος! :P :D :)

@ J'ordos:

1) Don't worry, I can be your tutor for free :D

2) You got exactly the point about about capital E.

@ All:

Well, I haven't met many XCom fans in Hellas. I have to admit that most people don't even know what X-Com is... Let alone X-Corps :P :D

So, it would greatly help the x-com fan community by providing more fans, greek ones!!! And, it will be easier and maybe funnier for greeks to have a game in their mother tongue. That's my point. And last but not least, quite a few people don't know english (or not as good as they should). On the other hand, most germans/dutch for example do know good english.

Indeed, we are a bit :OffTopic:.

Edited by kafros

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply and approval of my request. I won't hassle anyone, only volunteers are needed, so I hope they will contact me instead :)

So, does anybody want to see you native language supported in the game (if the translation is not yet available) and also your name listed in ufo2000 AUTHORS file? ;)

I have yet to think up a phase 4,

Can you say... binary?

:devillaugh:

(proofreading a CT in another language... in binary... THE HORROR!)

Edited by mikker

• 4 weeks later...
I speak Hungarian. I'm American but my mom and my two half-brothers are Hungarian, so I learned it from them because we speak Hungarian at home. I might have some problems with getting the marks over the letters right, I never properly learned how to write Hungarian.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the offer - I will be drawing up a list for translation very shortly, the time has nearly come for the translation taskforce! :jawdrop:

I know, I know -calm down dear, its only a commercial! :devillaugh:

(If you are from the UK, you should get this - please don't kill me :blush1: )

Guest Azrael

Yes, it's just a commercial, we're still no where near translations yet, a lot of proofreading to do before we even get started.

Edit by dipstick: Really? I am of a different opinion actually.... :NyaNyaNya:

Edited by dipstick

Well, IMO, we wouldn't need to proofread texts in order to translate them... Edited by mikker

as it is right now, I believe we will be spotting a lot of consistency errors and stuff while proofreading, so that should probably be finished before translating :)

I can be part of the german translating force, too. I am german, after all LOL

I do not think that ALL proofreading has to be completed in order for a specific text to be translated - this way, the translation can be staggered somewhat.

Anyhow, from what I have been hearing, there isn't that much to proofread? Nevertheless, timescales shift more often than the San Francisco fault line....

Guest Azrael
Well, IMO, we wouldn't need to proofread texts in order to translate them...

Oh, but we do need them.

I do not think that ALL proofreading has to be completed in order for a specific text to be translated - this way, the translation can be staggered somewhat.

Anyhow, from what I have been hearing, there isn't that much to proofread?  Nevertheless, timescales shift more often than the San Francisco fault line....

Hmm, actually there is a fairly large amount of texts to proofread, if we change a part of the text (not just grammar), the change will have to be reflected on the translation.

• 2 months later...

Nådada! 16 fra korsør, lige blevet færdig med skolen med 10,2 i snit ;)

Men der er jo et forum til os danskere, så måske sætte snakken over i et sprog de andre kan forstå? ;)

Feel free to speak behind his back....uhhhh, I mean, please don't :D

As was said, I would do it with a cup of coffee/tea whichever is your preference, and if I could speak danish I would join you...