XCOMUFO & Xenocide

it crashes all the time :(

Guest m00

hrm i really hate it!

I have the gold version of Ufo Defense (or better Enemy Unknown)
and it always crashes (quits to win 98) when i press the cancel button in the transfer screen :blink:

Does anyone have an idea what the reason for that could be?!
Did I need the xcom1fix.exe ?! cause i dont have it!

cya

yeah good idea but i didnt have this file!

I have solved the problem in another way by switching from the German to the English version! <_<

hrm but i would like to have the fix anyway. So can ya tell me how big it is
and where i can get it. (No, i haven t got the cd!) :ph34r:

cya

ps: put it on your download page! :rolleyes:

Well.... it IS on my downloadpage. It's been there for months. Click on the the Download link in the left frame, click on X-COM: UFO Defense, the fourth file down. Here's a shortcut to it:
[url="http://www.xcomufo.com/xcom1fix.exe"]http://www.xcomufo.com/xcom1fix.exe[/url]
It's about 4k in size. Place this file in the xcom directory and run it instead of "UFO Defense.exe"

-Micah
[email protected]
www.xcomufo.com

So i get the "Couldnt CreateProcess" Error!

But dont be afaid you have to tell me how i can solve this cause
I have found it at the download page, too.

So now it should work (I ll go and wreck some mutons i suppose)

good work admin :P

• 2 weeks later...
That "cannot create process" error happen when that fix can't find the executable. Make sure it's in the same directory as the "UFO Defense.exe". Also that .exe file (the one that launches the game) has to be that exact name (UFO Defense.exe) since the xcom1fix.exe was designed to assume it would be named as such.

If you're launching the game by running a shortcut that points the xcom1fix.exe then make sure the shortcut is set up right. Two things here. 1) the shortcut's "start in" field must be the path to your xcom folder. 2) makes sure it's in fact a shortcut to and not a copy of the xcom1fix.exe. The above paragraph applies also.

To make life easier just make sure your .exe (the .exe file that you normal launch xcom with. By default it's named "UFO Defense.exe" for the collector's edition. I've noticed however that one of the downloads, the newest addition to this site I think, use the launcher instead of the xcom1fix and the .exe file in question isn't named "UFO Defense.exe") file in your xcom directory is named "UFO Defense.exe" (without quotes of course), and make sure the xcom1fix.exe is in that same folder. Then try running the xcom1fix.exe directly from that folder. If it works there, but not with the shortcut you may have created, then you know the problem is the shortcut itself.

Hope that helps. Also you can click on that link that says "known issues" (or something like that. It's a link to info about the download) for some info about the error you're experiencing. Kindof says the same thing I just typed but explains it in a different manner.

I've the same problem. If I want to quit the transfer screen Ufo exit to desktop.
I found out that this problem is in the soldier.dat. It only happens when you have more than four bases. When you start the editor (you can found it on this side) you will see that your Soldiers aren't on the first base, they are on the last one. (in ufo thy are really on the first).
That's what I know, does anybody know the solution? :D

PS: I use the fixexe, and I tried to copy the soldiers, transfer them, or do anytging else with them, nothing work.

PPS: Does anyone understand what I mean, my english isn't good enough

[quote name='Guest' date='Oct 22 2002, 05:45 PM']I've the same problem. If I want to quit the transfer screen Ufo exit to desktop.
I found out that this problem is in the soldier.dat. It only happens when you have more than four bases. When you start the editor (you can found it on this side) you will see that your Soldiers aren't on the first base, they are on the last one. (in ufo thy are really on the first).
That's what I know, does anybody know the solution?  :D

PS: I use the fixexe, and I tried to copy the soldiers, transfer them, or do anytging else with them, nothing work.

PPS: Does anyone understand what I mean, my english isn't good enough[/quote]
Hi @ all

I,ve spending a lot of time to solve this Problem. And I have solved it!!!!

My english isn't very good, so if someone is interested post here and i wil try too explain it! :D

so far

cu

I found this night an easier way to do it, so I wiil explain this.
I've three saved games with this mistake. On two it works, the last one did not. I'm not sure why, but I try it every time.

Okay, lets go. the Problem is, that if you have only soldiers on the first or first two bases (me on the first two).

You have to build on every base a living quarter. At all bases there must be one soldier. But if you transfer know anything, it doesn't work. The thing is, you have to download the old ufo, yes the old dos ufo. Copy your actually savegame to your old dos ufo. Start it and transfer something to each base. Save the game and copy it back to the ufo se. Start the game and wait until the things you transferd have reached at the bases. Know you have to transfer the same thing to the bases. After this is done, you can transfer everything to the base.

Hope you understand, otherwise I try again to explain.

And, for last, it worked, I haved played my last game for several hours without crashing at the transfer.

so far

cu