XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Field Medical Kit

EDIT: PLEASE NOTE THE XENOCIDE NAMES HAVE NOT BEEN DETERMINED YET FOR EVERY ITEM OR UNIT IN THE GAME, REFERENCES TO NAMES WHICH ARE THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OF ATARI OR OTHER COMPANIES BY INDIVIDUAL PROJECT MEMBERS IS NOT CONDONED BY THE PROJECT AND THE PROJECT DOES NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR SUCH ACTIONS. INDIVIDUALS SHOULD REFER TO ENTRY NAMES AGREED TO BY THE PROJECT, AND IF SUCH A NAME DOES NOT YET EXIST THEY SHOULD USE A SUBSTITUTE IN [bRACKETS]. THANKS!

Medikit:

This case contains all that it is necessary to have under the hand for administer first aid and to stabilize the state of a soldier on a battlefield. It makes it possible to stop the haemorrhages, to calm and to stimulate a soldier quickly during the combat in order to give him a chance to be left there.

But cares will have in any event being managed after the return to the base.

Edited by Breunor

You should include details about each type of treatment available, including some medical terms like the chemicals being used, but most important is to describe what each item does in the game so the player isn't confused. You don't want to say "increases morale score" exactly, but describe it so there's no confusion either. Also I would include how it's injected (hypospray), what it might use to determine the injuries/symptoms, etc.

I will write all my texts again and again, it is just the begining.

Medikit:

Since the Second World War, every soldier carry a medi-kit and in 60 years, this object evolved considerably, passing from simple limps out of iron with a genuine tool with the point of modern medical and surgical technology.

This case contains all that it is necessary to have under the hand for administer first aid and to stabilize the state of a soldier on a battlefield. It makes it possible to stop the haemorrhages, to calm and stimulate a soldier quickly during the combat in order to give him a chance to be left there.

The soldier must hold the medi-kit in a hand and approach wounded more close possible being able to look after it.

There are three uses possible for this case of care:

1.Hemo-patch, can ask for several application of hemo-patches to stop the haemorrhage. 2.Valium, a soldier can panic during a combat, one or more applications can be necessary to make him recover its means.

3.Stimulate, a doze of this Synthesis Adrenalin would awake a horse, so a unconscious soldier or tired can thus recover energy to continue his mission.

The quantity of material and drugs are very limited, use the medi-kit with parsimony.

Don’t forget that cares will have in any event being managed after the return to the base.

“The life of a soldier is due sometimes only to one medi-kit.” Cpl FaceHugger.

...every soldier carry a medi-kit...

Every soldier carried a medi-kit.

...in order to give him a chance to be left there.

Huh?

...and approach wounded more close possible being able to look after it.

I think you meant "most close possible to be able to look afer him.

IIRC Syntax Error's native language is german, so I wouldn't worry about specific grammar issues right now. Once we have the full content in place, we can go back and fix any grammar items we find.

The part about "in order to give him a chance to remain there" I think means "allows the soldier to remain on the front line".

I think the last point should be worded to say, "The hand-held med-kit requires direct contact, so the user must stand over the wounded soldier."

Edited by Breunor

I am not german! :cussing:

I come from Belgium and speak french, english, dutch and swahili :happybanana: .

Quote: The part about "in order to give him a chance to remain there" I think means "allows the soldier to remain on the front line".

No, i mean: "If you use Medikit and you will probably come back alive"

Maybe i should speak about the small diagnostic screen.

you should take a look at the current model of the medi kit. the thing you've said seems to refear to those first-aid boxes. its sort of a injector pistol. look for it in the image/movies discussion.

when i think about it, i think we should rename medi-kit to medi-injector, or medi-gun or something more like the model. it sure isnt a kit :)

Edited by mikker

Sorry Syntax, no offense meant, I've had lots of new members PM me and I've lost track of who lives where. Besides, I didn't say you were german, only that you spoke it... ^_^ I only meant that english might not be your native language, and that lots of comments about small grammar mistakes in the translation aren't going to move things forward right now.

That linked pic is very close to the current model, I think just the handle is being tweaked right now. Working on a new name for the device is a good idea, medi-kit should be replaced at some point. MediGun sounds good for a placeholder, I'll update the CT list with that until something better is found or it's decided to stick with that.

I agree that a description of the display would be a good addition.

I can write something about the grenade and the smoke grenade, can i?

Don't worry about the the length of my texts i will modify them several times and add new ideas.

But i would like to know if my academic english is correct.

What is your opinion?

Here is a copy of the text with grammar corrections, if this is what you're asking:

Since the Second World War, every soldier has carried a medical kit of some sort. In the last 70 years[remember, it's 10 years from now], this device has evolved considerably. Starting with simple iron splints it's now a genuine tool at the peak of modern medical and surgical technology. (not sure if splints is what you meant there)

The hand-held MediGun contains everything necessary to administer first aid and stabilize a soldier on the battlefield. It makes it possible to stop hemorrhaging, calm the mentally distressed, and chemically stimulate a soldier quickly during combat. The MediGun gives our soldiers a second chance to walk off the battlefield, rather than be carried out in a bag.

The MediGun must be held against the wounded soldier to be used. This device has three uses:

1.Hemo-patch; several applications of cauterizing agent to stop severe bleeding.

2.Valium; one or more applications can be necessary to help a soldier recover their mental faculties.

3.Stimulant; a dose of this Synthetic Adrenalin would awaken a horse - a tired or unconscious soldier can thus recover enough energy to continue their mission.

There is a very limited quantity of drugs available - use the device with parsimony. Use of a MediGun only stabilizes a soldier temporarily; additional treatment is typically necessary upon returning to base.

“The fact a soldier is still alive is due sometimes only to one MediGun.” Cpl FaceHugger.

Yeah that's good! Seem to be made by professionals :beer:

But the valium annoy me.

What could we write instead of valium?

Super Anti-depressor?

Synthetic Marijuhana?

Euphoriant?

And maybe we should add Painkiller in the line called Hemo-Patch?

"New Generation Painkiller, paralize the pain censors in the brain" or something like that...

MEDIGUN MARK IV:

Since the Second World War, every soldier has carried a medical kit of some sort. In the last 70 years[remember, it's 10 years from now], this device has evolved considerably. Starting with simple iron splints it's now a genuine tool at the peak of modern medical and surgical technology. (not sure if splints is what you meant there)

The hand-held MediGun contains everything necessary to administer first aid and stabilize a soldier on the battlefield. It makes it possible to stop hemorrhaging, calm the mentally distressed, and chemically stimulate a soldier quickly during combat. The MediGun gives our soldiers a second chance to walk off the battlefield, rather than be carried out in a bag.

The MediGun must be held against the wounded soldier to be used. This device has three uses:

1.Hemo-patch; several applications of coagulent agent to stop severe bleeding, the hemopatch contains a very high capacity of coagulation molecule, a new generation painkiller that paralyze pain censors in the brian and a disinfecting solution.

Note: a light insensibilization of the ends of the members is always possible, a new version of this anti-pain is being studied.

2.Calming; one or more applications can be necessary to help a soldier recover their mental faculties.

3.Stimulant; a dose of this Synthetic Adrenalin would awaken a horse - a tired or unconscious soldier can thus recover enough energy to continue their mission.

MediGun Mark IV must be reloaded in laboratory in order to avoid any risk of contamination. Indeed, of many cases of contanminations of wounds were brought back at the time of the use of MediGun refillable on the ground.

There is a very limited quantity of drugs available - use the device with parsimony. Use of a MediGun only stabilizes a soldier temporarily; additional treatment is typically necessary upon returning to base.

“The fact a soldier is still alive is due sometimes only to one MediGun.” Cpl FaceHugger.

thats nice, though calming is pretty general. remeber that they come from 1 champer only, so it would proberly be better to make it 1 drug.

what about: emotion stabilizing drug = ESD.

also you might specify the use of it, as currently it ain't a gun (its used as an ordinary medi kit). you should add some info on injection (theres a thread somewhere), as well as some sort of describtion on the screen for the selection.

I'll look up a good term to use for "calming" that would be appropriate. I have a degree in Psychology, I might as well put it to use occasionally...

And what about LSD ?

I need to see how the Medigun could be use in the game before i explain its use.

LSD? has a nice ring to it, but does it mean anything?

the gun mecanism was based on the startrek healing thinggy that musheed the medicine through the skin.

for the use, we could either:

1)as the original, only next to.

2)limit the spray to only 4-5 squares away, though 100% acc.

Are you talking about (LSD-25)(d-lysergic acid diethylamide)? Can't use that, don't know about other countries, but Acid is an illegal drug in the USA, don't want to use it in a game children play. Besides, the soldier might have a Bad Trip, and will start shooting imaginary aliens instead of real ones...

You can use Animethylphenitine(AMP) for a synthetic stimulant mixture. It's a combination of methylphenidate(ritalin) and Amineptine. Ritalin is a stimulant used to treat ADHD, Amineptine is an antidepressant that is no longer used by most contries because of the side effects and abuse potential. We can say that researchers have worked on new classes of psychotropic medications, and found this mixture has few physical side effects, but results in a near frenzy state when used on normal-functioning subjects(remind anyone of Jacob's Ladder?). When used on unconscious or near-catatonic subjects however, it brings their functioning up to near normal levels for a short while. This makes it effective in short term combat missions, so long as follow-up medical attention is given once back at base due to the resulting "crash" as the drug wears off.

You have to be adjacent to a soldier to use the MediGun, since you have to touch the target with it. That's how the original game worked IIRC.

Edited by Breunor

For the calming entry, you're looking for antipsychotic medications. The problem with them is that they tend to take a relatively long time to have an effect, ususally several days or even weeks. So we can create another mixture that would normally be avoided, but it's a combat situation and lots of things are tested when necessity dictates.

Chlorpromazine, Haloperidol, and Olanzapine are all antipsychotics with commercially sold brand names, which we should avoid. Same with Ritalin above, we'd used the technical name for it. Anyway, a mixture of these drugs could be used to bring a soldier out of a psychotic episode much faster than normally possible. How about calling it Chlorzipine or something like that. Like the stimulant entry above, this could be listed as a "highly experimental" medication, meaning civilian medical agencies would never allow it to be tested on humans without years of testing. Perhaps these mixtures are just starting animal trials, but X-Corps researchers were able to get the technical papers and have jumped forward in an attempt to save lives.

These are just some ideas for including some real technical stuff in it, but not required in any way. Use what you like from it. :D

OK, here we go:

1.Hemo-patch; The hemo-patch contains a large quantity of coagulation agents suspended in a platelet-rich gel, capable of stopping severe bleeding. Painkillers inhibit pain receptors around the wound, and a antibiotic solution prevents the onset of infection. Note: light numbing around a treated area is possible, but normal sensation returns after several days.

2.Antipsychotic; A highly experimental combination of Chlorpromazine, Haloperidol, and Olanzapine, Chlorzipine is used to bring a soldier out of a psychotic episode much faster than normally possible. While effective in returning a soldier to a normal mental state during combat, this treatment requires detoxification within 24 hours to avoid central nervous system damage.

3.Psychotropic; Animethylphenitine(AMP) is a synthetic stimulant mixture consisting of methylphenidate and amineptine. A dose of this synthetic adrenalin could awaken a horse - a tired or unconscious soldier can thus recover enough energy to continue their mission. Follow-up medical attention is recommended due to the potential "crash" as this medication wears off. WARNING: Do not administer this stimulant to normally functioning subjects, a frenzy-like state has been observed when used excessively on test subjects.

hehe... that last sentence made me think of a fluff text.

"He went completely wild. He swung arround two heavy cannons fireing at a group of aliens, while he shouted "die alien scum!". he ended up accidently swallowing a granade where he tried to pull off the pin with his teeth."

Or, "He kept screaming that he was Cornholio, and needed TP for his bunghole... what's a Cornholio?"

Reference to a cartoon called Beavis and Butthead... this is Cornholio:

cornholio.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Red text indicates additions, orange text indicates deletions, and blue text indicates comments.

MEDIGUN FIELD MEDIKIT MARK IV:

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Weapons/Field Medikit Is "weapons" the right place?

Since the Second World War, every soldier has carried a medical kit of some sort. In the last 70 years [remember, it's 10 years from now], this device A medikit is a device?  Suggest: “medical technology” instead of "this device" has evolved considerably. Starting with simple iron splints it's it is now a genuine tool at the peak of modern medical and surgical technology. (not sure if splints is what you meant there) This last sentence is a bit odd.  Suggest: “Long ago, field medics often had to make do with the meager supplies contained within a medikit: crude surgical tools, simple iron splints, and ragged cloth bandages.  Today, the Field Medikit Mk IV provides our soldiers the wonders of cutting-edge medical treatment without having any prior medical knowledge! *"

* Use of a MediGun Field Medikit only stabilizes a soldier temporarily;. aAdditional treatment is typically necessary upon returning to base. Moved from the end of the text.

The hand-held MediGun portable Field Medikit contains everything necessary to administer first aid and stabilize a soldier on the battlefield. It makes it possible to stop hemorrhaging, calm the mentally distressed, and chemically stimulate invigorate? a soldier quickly during combat. The MediGun Field Medikit gives our soldiers a second chance to walk off the battlefield, rather than be carried out in a bag. I think the last line can be improved for more emphasis: “The Field Medikit Mk IV gives our soldiers second chances out on the battlefield; it could mean the difference between our boys coming home on their feet or them coming home in a bag."  The latter half could even be made into a quote attributed to some field veteran and used as the fluff text?

The MediGun Field Medikit must be held against the wounded soldier to be used. This device has three uses functions?:

1. Hemo-patch; T: the hemo-patch contains a large quantity of coagulation agents suspended in a platelet-rich gel, capable of stopping severe bleeding. Painkillers inhibit pain receptors around the wound, and an antibiotic solution prevents the onset of infection. Note: light numbing around a treated area is possible, but normal sensation returns after several days.

2. Antipsychotic; A a highly experimental combination of Chlorpromazine, Haloperidol, and Olanzapine,. Chlorzipine Where did “Chlorzipine” come from, and what about the other three drugs? is used to bring a soldier out of a psychotic episode much faster than normally possible. While effective in returning a soldier to a normal mental state during combat, this treatment requires detoxification within 24 hours to avoid long-term damage central nervous system damage.

3. Psychotropic; A: animethylphenitine (AMP) is a synthetic stimulant mixture consisting of methylphenidate and amineptine. A dose of this synthetic adrenalin could awaken a horse – and allow a tired or unconscious soldier can thus to recover enough energy to and continue their mission. Follow-up medical attention is recommended due to the potential "crash" as this medication wears off. WARNING: Do not administer this stimulant to normally functioning subjects;, excessive use has induced a frenzy-like state has been observed when used excessively on hysteria in test subjects.

There is a very limited quantity of drugs available - use the device with parsimony Cpl. Face’s suggestion: "There is a very limited quantity of drugs available: use the device sparingly and only when absolutely necessary.”

Moved the following sentence from two lines above: The MediGun Field Medikit Mark IV must be reloaded in a laboratory in order to avoid any risk of prevent contamination. Indeed, of many There had been numerous cases of contanminations field infections of wounds were brought back at the time of the use of MediGun refillable on the ground from the usage of the field-refillable MediGun Field Medikit Mk III[/color].

“The fact a soldier is still alive is due sometimes only to one MediGun Field Medikit.” Cpl FaceHugger.

Edited by Astyanax

• 2 weeks later...

FIELD MEDICAL KIT

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Equipment/Field Medical Kit

Since World War II, every soldier has carried a medical kit of some sort. In the last 70 years, this piece of medical technology has evolved considerably. Long ago, field medics often had to make do with the meager supplies contained within a medikit: crude surgical tools, simple iron splints, and ragged cloth bandages. Today, the Field Medical Kit Mk IV provides our soldiers the wonders of cutting-edge medical treatment without having any prior medical knowledge

Please note, however, that usage of a Field Medical kit only stabilizes a soldier temporarily, additional treatment is generally necessary upon returning to base.

The Field Medical Kit contains everything necessary to administer first aid and stabilize a soldier on the battlefield. It makes it possible to stop hemorrhaging, calm mental distress, and chemically invigorate a soldier during combat.

This marvel of medical science must be held against the wounded soldier in order to provide treatment. The Mark IV has three available functions:

1. Hemo-patch: the hemo-patch contains a large quantity of coagulation agents suspended in a platelet-rich gel, capable of stopping severe bleeding. Painkillers inhibit pain receptors around the wound, and an antibiotic solution prevents the onset of infection. Note: light numbing around a treated area is possible, but normal sensation returns after few days.

2. Antipsychotic: a highly experimental combination of Chlorpromazine, Haloperidol, and Olanzapine. Clozapine is used to bring a soldier out of a psychotic episode much faster than normally possible. While effective in returning a soldier to a normal mental state during combat, this treatment requires detoxification within 24 hours to avoid long-term damage central nervous system.

Did a little research on the drugs, they are correct, except the last one, I corrected it, Clozapine is another antipsychotic.

3. Psychotropic: animethylphenitine (AMP) is a synthetic stimulant mixture consisting of methylphenidate and amineptine. A dose of this synthetic adrenalin could awaken a horse – and allow a tired or unconscious soldier to recover enough energy to continue the mission. Follow-up medical attention is recommended due to the potential "crash" as this medication wears off. WARNING: Do not administer this stimulant to normally functioning subjects; excessive use has induced a frenzy-like hysteria in test subjects.

There is a very limited quantity of drugs available: use the device only when absolutely necessary

The Field Medical Kit Mark IV must be recharged in a laboratory to prevent contamination. There had been numerous cases of field infections from the usage of the field-refillable Field Medical Kit Mk III.

“The fact a soldier is still alive is due sometimes only to one MediGun Field Medikit.” - Cpl FaceHugger.

“The Field Medikit Mk IV gives our soldiers second chances out on the battlefield; it could mean the difference between our boys coming home on their feet or them coming home in a plastic bag." –Jeff Connely, medic.

• 2 years later...
FIELD MEDICAL KIT

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Equipment/Field Medical Kit

Since World War II, every soldier has carried a medical kit of some sort. In the last 70 years, this piece of medical technology has evolved considerably. Long ago, field medics often had to make do with the meager supplies contained within a medikit: crude surgical tools, simple iron splints, and ragged cloth bandages. Today, the Field Medical Kit Mk IV provides our soldiers the wonders of cutting-edge medical treatment without having any prior medical knowledge

Please note, however, that usage of a Field Medical kit only stabilizes a soldier temporarily, additional treatment is generally necessary upon returning to base.

The Field Medical Kit contains everything necessary to administer first aid and stabilize a soldier on the battlefield. It makes it possible to stop hemorrhaging, calm mental distress, and chemically invigorate a soldier during combat.

This marvel of medical science must be held against the wounded soldier in order to provide treatment. The Mark IV has three available functions:

1. Hemo-patch: the hemo-patch contains a large quantity of coagulation agents suspended in a platelet-rich gel, capable of stopping severe bleeding. Painkillers inhibit pain receptors around the wound, and an antibiotic solution prevents the onset of infection. Note: light numbing around a treated area is possible, but normal sensation returns after few days.

2. Antipsychotic: a highly experimental combination of Chlorpromazine, Haloperidol, and Olanzapine. Clozapine is used to bring a soldier out of a psychotic episode much faster than normally possible. While effective in returning a soldier to a normal mental state during combat, this treatment requires detoxification within 24 hours to avoid long-term damage central nervous system.

3. Psychotropic: animethylphenitine (AMP) is a synthetic stimulant mixture consisting of methylphenidate and amineptine. A dose of this synthetic adrenalin allows a tired or unconscious soldier to recover enough energy to continue the mission. Follow-up medical attention is recommended due to the potential "crash" as this medication wears off. WARNING: Do not administer this stimulant to normally functioning subjects; excessive use has induced a frenzy-like hysteria in test subjects.

There is a very limited quantity of drugs available: use the device only when absolutely necessary

The Field Medical Kit Mark IV must be recharged in a laboratory to prevent contamination. There had been numerous cases of field infections from the usage of the field-refillable Field Medical Kit Mk III.

"The fact a soldier is still alive is due sometimes only to one MediGun Field Medikit." - Cpl Marc "FaceHugger" Johnson.

"The Field Medikit Mk IV gives our soldiers second chances out on the battlefield; it could mean the difference between our boys coming home on their feet or them coming home in a plastic bag." - Jeff Connely, medic.

Edited by Mad