XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART- Rocket/GAIA Launchers

Cubik

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jim69
That looks quality, is it based on the anti-tank rocket launcher the military uses? If so, when animating I think it would be cool to have a blow back behind the weapon, as would happen in real life. You would only use it directly in front of another troop exactly *once*. :D

• 6 months later...
Hey guys and gals, this thread is for posting work on the rocket launcher, blaster launcher, small launcher and the ammo for each. Rather than putting everything into "human guns" which makes for a long thread, this will hopefully make it easier to find things. To start, I've made a low-poly rocket launcher based off of cubik's earlier concept, he isn't around any more and never posted the model itself. It is 190 triangles, uses a 64x64 texture that weighs 5kb. IMO this should work well in the battlescape, I've included a pic you can see as well as my very rough estimate as to the maximum size in-game. Not much detail to see at that size... I've uploaded the 3ds and png files to the ftp server, if anybody wants to play with it. Next I'll work on the higher poly version.

baz.jpg

Edited by Breunor

an examble of a blaster/stun bomb. The ploycount is 2400. Nice and smooth :D

rocket launcher looks good.

blasterbomb.jpg

Edited by mikker

Coolio, what do you think of incorporating some of the wicked curves on the alien grenade pic in that? It looks good.

Here is the almost modeled, high-poly, rocket launcher. It'll be about 1200 polys when finished. I'm on the fence about the shoulder rest though, it seems a bit too bulky IMO. I think a thinner version would look better, maybe make it look like a thin metal piece with some padding attached. We'll see how that one looks. I also upgraded the scope to something like the OICW version. :D If people like these changes I'll update both models.

1.jpg

I say the shoulder rest is too bulky. In fact IIRC the LAW doesn't even HAVE a shoulder rest. It's not like these things are kept in the firing position at all times.

I'd say make it pretty thin.

Yes, this is the rocket launcher, the modern equivalent of a bazooka and/or RPG launcher. Here's the trimmed down shoulder harness, I've seen pics where just the front curve is there to help hold it in place, but I just put the whole thing in. Also got the trigger in there. The other main thing is that most real launchers have the sight set off to the side rather than on top, but I figured you could fire it with either arm so on-the-top would be the best option. Hopefully I'll get it textured today, and will update this pic.

Edit: Texture is about half done, 1236 polys on this. I like the shoulder rest better here too.

1.jpg

Edited by Breunor

an examble of a blaster/stun bomb. The ploycount is 2400. Nice and smooth  :D

Just to give you a heads up, you may want to look at the alien guns thread before making that design mikker.

Edited by Anglachel

I'm planning on going into that thread as well as the others and pull posts out related to this topic, it's on my to-do list. ^_^

That never ending to do list, better get to work on mine. :crying:

I have no problem with mikker doing the BB, but I already tried a similar design. Sorry I didn't mention it sooner mikker when I first saw it.

I have an idea for the Blaster Launcher: the blaster bomb is fixed by the soldier on the launcher like for the RPG7 (probably with magnetic fasteners and the bomb has to be programed with a digital screen).

http://www.planetquake.com/wworkshop/images/rpg7_high_poly_04.jpg

I like the rocket launcher and mikkers bomb would make a great blaster bomb IMO

Just to give you a heads up, you may want to look at the alien guns thread before making that design mikker.

Woops, tottaly forgot about that (had the file stocked up as an alien granade design somewhere...).

Hey, what about we use both? I'll find something diffrent for my design and use it for the small bomb, and you can use yours for the blaster bomb

Woops, tottaly forgot about that (had the file stocked up as an alien granade design somewhere...).

Hey, what about we use both? I'll find something diffrent for my design and use it for the small bomb, and you can use yours for the blaster bomb

Which design? I posted like 7. The football shape was thrown and a frisbee design was suggested, but the topic died.

This late in my vacation, I don't think I would have any design done before school starts again.

Edited by Anglachel

If you could post with the models you made attached as a zip Anglachel, perhaps Mikker or someone else can continue working on them, or just recreate them based off your pics. We can use some ideas for blaster bombs and stun bombs, both alien weapons so they can have some exotic looks to them perhaps. For the stun bomb, I'd make it look like a detonator that gives off some type of electrical field, shocking everyone in its range perhaps. Just a thought.

hmm.....then the stun bomb could have some visual external force field generators? This could be a good idea, and take away the ball shape look of the original.

I go on vacation for a few days :)

Brunor, I think that the shoulder harness on the rocket launcher still looks awkward. Maybe something like the attached image.

Syntax: I think it looks way to much like a modern day RPG it was based off. It needs more alien influence as well as a more substantial look to it.

post_29_1072295155.jpg

Syntax: I think it looks way to much like a modern day RPG it was based off. It needs more alien influence as well as a more substantial look to it.

Me too, I think you should look at the craft fusion launcher and go from there. The blaster launcher should be a big and bulky weapon IMO.

There's a couple of things I think I should add..

If you think a scope is required with the rocket launcher, I would put it at the side of the carry handle, closer to the tube because it sits on the shoulder and the soldier woudn't be able to site through the scope with the rocket launcher on his shoulder. I think players will notice the scope appearing far above the forehead of the troops that are carrying the rocket launcher..

And I think you should flesh out the pistol grip a bit.

Perhaps you could add a section that can be pulled out to protect the firer from the rocket's backblast while firing prone to increase the length of the launcher... so it would be portable to carry onboard a troop transport but would look more like a modern rocket launcher when deployed.

There's a couple of things I think I should add..

If you think a scope is required with the rocket launcher, I would put it at the side of the carry handle, closer to the tube because it sits on the shoulder and the soldier woudn't be able to site through the scope with the rocket launcher on his shoulder.  I think players will notice the scope appearing far above the forehead of the troops that are carrying the rocket launcher..

And I think you should flesh out the pistol grip a bit.

Perhaps you could add a section that can be pulled out to protect the firer from the rocket's backblast while firing prone to increase the length of the launcher... so it would be portable to carry onboard a troop transport but would look more like a modern rocket launcher when deployed.

Great ideas!

I agree with your edit Vaaish, but everybody is thinking this is the blaster launcher, it's not- it's the rocket launcher, which you start the game with, and is pure human technology. My main reason for sitting the scope on top was because you can arm the weapon in either hand, so if it tilts off to the right and you arm it in the wrong hand, it's really off. I can see seperating the carrying grip from the scope, and mounting the scope directly to the main body with a swivel-looking mount. The scope could be more substantial looking, and offer more cover for the users eyes. The main issue is the animation, you'd have to pass in code which hand is being used, and call the firing animation from that. Or the high poly model has it on one side, the the low poly model doesn't have it at all.

for a rocket launcher I don't think it matters if you are left or right handed. They are all set up for firing from the right hand side and the leftys just learn.

I can modify the xnet version to look like that, and just leave the scope off for the battlescape version. I meant that in the game you can equip your weapon in either hand, which would show up on the model. If the scope is set to just right handed use, having it show up in the left hand when equiped would look way off using a scope off-center. Hopefully will make some comparison models this week to see.

That can be easily solved, you can only use the rocket launcher with both hands.. It is not that crazy, who in their sane mind will try to use a rocket launcher with a hand and a pistol in the other (and try to fire them)...

Greetings

Red Knight

That was my concern, since you can use every item with 1 hand in the original, we'd be talking about a change in gameplay just so we could model the scope on one side of the bazooka (or any other weapon this applies to).

IMO the easiest choice without changing gameplay is to make the high detail model with the scope on the side and leave the handle on top perhaps, and have the low detail model without the scope but leave the handle.

Or you could just get rid of the scope entirely.

Or you could make two models! One with the scope on the right, the other on the left!

Or, you could just say that the scope is detachable, and you can place it whereever you want!

Hmm...

1: Make 2 models that are called with coding depending on which hand you pick.

2: Coding that doesn't allow the weapon to be attached to one hand.

3: Leave a scope off the low poly model.

I think option 3 is the obvious choice here...

Here's a modified rocket launcher without a shoulder rest.

Edit: In addition to the better looking grip and offset scope, I moved the scope back to a more realistic distance, matching real bazookas a little better. This reduces the chance of debris hitting the user and thus needing a face shield of some sort. I don't consider the scope's mount or the overhead handle done, wanted more input about good/bad before adding details in.

1.jpg

Edited by Breunor

the new handles cause it to look like an oversized cannon instead of a rocket launcher. I think the original way was better, again go back to what Cubik did I think his rocket launvher was effective. also Brin that scope in a bit more and kind of meld it into the body smoothly.

What about it having 2 handles instead of just 1? It could be the simple handle of the first draft. The mount for the scope would be a little more glorified as well, not just blocks holding it up. I see the idea of having the scope a little closer to the body as well. What about the main body? Here's a variation where the ends are shaped a little differently, I'll take the best of the last couple versions and work them together after hearing about this:

1.jpg

I do not like the changes to ends in that last one, it looks like something from the 1920 melded with a blunderbus.

The main reason I don't like the changes to the rocket launcher is that it looks outdated.

OK, so right now the consensus is for the design I posted on Dec 24, with the scope mounted from the side instead of on top, and the shoulder mount cut so that only the front half is there and it's built into the main tube more. Unless everybody disagrees, I'll also add a second grip, but keep both grips simpler than the last picks, I'll just add a small trigger guard to the trigger grip. The scope mount with be fancier, and to update the look a little more perhaps I can integrate some variations into the main tube, so the ends are a little more "technical/sharp" looking, instead of the simple flares.

Work's slow today, I'll see if I can get something done this afternoon without getting myself fired... ^_^

Watch, as Breunor makes 2 hours worth of tweaks only to have Milkshape crash, and he realises he didn't save the work... I would have had a screenshot for you, really I would... :blink:

What I had done was move the trigger handle back to just in front of the shoulder pad, and connected them together into 1 solid piece. Then I had a second grip further towards the front for balance, since a majority of the launcher is in front of the supporting shoulder. The real pictures I've found either have 2 grips or just 1 where the soldier is holding the main tube by placing his second hand on the side of it. I think it would make more sense to have the 2nd grip for stability (remember that it's not required that the soldier use both hands in the game, it's just for looks). The heavy cannon and rocket launcher concepts are significantly different, the cannon looks more like a .50 cal sniper rifle, and doesn't have a second grip because the front of the weapon is narrow enough to hold in your hand.

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I know you weren't being literal when comparing to the heavy cannon. ^_^ I can see where the previous 2 grip pic looked closer to a heavy cannon, probably because I had swiped the grips from our OICW model. :D Once I rebuild this concept (yet again!) I hope it will appropriate, so enough blabbing and back to modeling I go!

Here's the reincarnated launcher, including detail of the scope and mount. Comes in around 1500+ polys.

Edit: Uh, is it really a bad thing for the 1-shot rocket launcher to remind you of a 1-shot rocket propelled grenade launcher? :huh: Aren't they pretty much the same thing, firing a more advanced rocket that has different warheads instead of just an impact grenade? The only other launcher I'm familiar with is the box-shaped launcher that holds 4 rockets, but our launcher must be reloaded after each shot. Since this is supposed to be something our military organizations could be using in 10 years, I didn't want to make something too outrageous from what there currently is. I'm open to other ideas here, I'm just explaining where I'm coming from. This weapon is in the same category as the pistol and rifle, we want to use something very similar to what's soon to be in use.

1.png

Edited by Breunor