XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Uv-mapping And Normalmaps

rincewind

Hi,

while debugging the seams for the globe, I got quite a good read about texture seams in bumpmapping, etc.

Here's just one thing to look out for: When you have non-continous texture coordinates on an vertex (e.g. one face has different coordinates than the other), you have to make sure, that the direction of increasing U (or V) is not exactly the opposite. If that happens, you get very weird artifacts when applying bumpmapping to that mesh.

So basicly, don't have something like this

where X is your vertex and the arrows are the directions of increasing U (or V) for the faces.

This is for example easily done when mirroring a texture, etc.

Don't know if that explanation was understandable, if not, please ask.

Greetings,

Rincewind

...while debugging the seams for the globe, I got quite a good read about texture seams in bumpmapping, etc....

I am eager to learn how to do that sort of debugging. Could you teach me?

:wacko: Meant to say, use the biggest debugging tool out there. Google and Google Groups...

come again? :huh:

Here we got, don't have a vertex where you start from the same point in the texture and then go in opposite directions on the texture on the different faces.

Happens almost only when you mirror the texture.

Rincewind

So in effect, the usual way of mirroring half of the mesh, including the texture is not feasible here? (Not exactly a bump map, but...)

1.jpg

But this would be? The legs and arms and such may remain mirrored?

2.jpg

Edited by fidel_