XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Do You Have Enforcer?

Robo Dojo 58

Do you have X-COM: Enforcer?  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You wasted 5$ on it?!? I didn't pay more than 50 cents for the first copy, and for my second, I got as part of a package deal (it had mechwarrior 3 and its expansion, and enforcer, and serious sam all for 5$ plus .50 tax! :)) Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

• 3 months later...
I like how they can stick the word "X-COM" on something and expect it to sell... i have to admit it was fun for the first 10 minse... but it reminds me of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games since its more important to collect the word bonus then it is to actually complete the mission quickly... Any way it's sad when the manager at EB just gives you the game when you buy your 3rd copy of HALO... <_<

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have it.... I liked it for the first 5 seconds, until I skipped the intro and heard the Scientist speak his first words. MY GOD, SOMEONE KILL THE BRAIN CELL THAT THAT VOICE IS STORED ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nevertheless, It was OK.

• 2 years later...

Just received Enforcer in the mail today. $0.99 (game) + $5 (Shipping & Handling) = too good to pass up. Brand new to boot and I had to crack the seal on the box as well as the jewel case. That's always a good feeling, ain't it folks? :D

It's going to take a while to get used to the controls. All that darn strafing cuts down on the enjoyability IMHO. Whoever thought of a fixed point of view for a shooter should be shot twice with the flame thrower. Exploration is what makes a game fun. Anyhow, does anyone know if a paperback or PDF manual was ever released? All I see is a readme in the game folder and the short manual in the CD sleeve so I suppose my answer would be no. ;)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie
spelling

I've only got the manual in the cd jewel case too. No PDF on disc.

As you play the game, you'll find that the game's probably not complicated enough to warrant a comprehensive manual. You've just got to know what buttons move the Enforcer, which button fires the weapon, and learn how to numb yourself to Dr. Able Standard's litany of lines (or just switch them off). ;)

By the way, if you're going to play all the way to the end, play on the hardest level or else the game will end at one of the mid-bosses. Or was this just for the easiest level? In either case, the enormous number of respawning enemies on the harder levels is lots of fun considering the insane amount of damage some of the later weapons can do. Technically it also makes it easier as you'll get more health drops (if I remember correctly, some enemies drop these when "Enforced") , so if you upgrade those you'll generally last well enough.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I thought I'd give the game a spin on my new(ish) laptop since it has been a while. A few things to note:

I cannot play the game with DirectX Acceleration. It's X-Com UFO on new computers all over again. It has to be played in Software mode to get any reasonable - well, playable - speed. Madness - you'd think they'd solved the speed sync rates by now. Oh well.

Anyway, a few notes I'd bash out.

There are way too many guns to choose from. Don't spend your time activating or upgrading them all on your first run through. Upgrade a select few weapons that you'll know you'll be using a lot. The flamethrower, unavoidable though it is, should be upgraded a bit so that you can rely on it and not have to go hot streaking to upgrade it until it's useful. The blade launcher should be maximised right away for its ability to home enemies and pick up data points. It's a boon for mob situations. What weapons you upgrade later depends on you. Also don't skimp out on the Doctor's choice upgrades, as I think the second or third upgrade in nets you an autocannon replacement for the laser rifle. Very useful for the insane amount of enemies that show up on timed survival maps like the hovercraft ride and a blade launcher hasn't spawned nearby.

I just wish the escape portal wasn't timed so that you can explore the map before leaving. Otherwise just leave the hopeless civilian or the last teleporter alone and go searching for treasure.

It's generally semi-mindless fun, I admit. ;)

- NKF

Thanks for the info and tips NKF, much appreciated! I played Enforcer a little bit over Christmas and it is fairly enjoyable. Don't know if I'll ever get good at it, but it wastes time nonetheless. :)

- Zombie

It's easy to master - just make sure you get used to double tapping a direction to make Enforcer leap. This so you know when NOT to use it. I found I did a few too many side flips while balancing on ledges and right into bottomless pits ... :D Otherwise the leaps don't really achieve anything - although they are a fun way to enter the exit portal.

You know, after beating the game and cycling back to the start (and unlocking an even higher difficultly mode), something did occur me. It might be worth playing through on the easiest setting and defeating the not-quite-final-boss-boss just for the research.

Research is carried over into the new game for the current profile, along with any data points that you did not spend. You'll lose all the upgrades you've made to everything, but you keep the research. Since researched is unlocked sequentially, there's no real need to go to particular levels to get the research you missed. Just get the research balls and fill up any gaps you missed. Once completed, any additional research upgrade balls you pick up will convert into a +1000 data point bonus. Playing on easiest is also a great opportunity to test out some of the stranger weapons and just have fun.

This way you can jump right into the harder difficultly settings with access to everything at your fingertips, and only have to gather up the data points to upgrade them - the research ball's giving +1000 points is also quite a boon.

The thing with all the various weapons is that the more weapons you have unlocked, the more likely you'll run into a weapon you do not want in the thick of battle and the lower the probability that the weapon you want will appear. Time and time again I picked up a Vibroblade (not a bad weapon by all accounts, mind you) when I absolutely needed my grenade launcher (useless at first, but an utter joy to use when fully upgraded - and useful against tough opponents). It's not so bad on the easier levels, but on the harder levels it's better to keep a very narrow weapon set.

I guess there is strategy in this game after all. It's just not quite the same. ;)

- NKF

Edited by NKF

• 1 year later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.