XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND - COMPLETED SFX - Laser : PEEEOWWWW! not

hippyjon

okay, im starting work on this. Deimos had the idea of using the sound of a flash (from a camera) recharging as a kind of charging up noise for the laser. unfortunatley i havent got any recording equipment yet so if anyone could get a sample of it then thatd be top :)

ill try not to upload too many versions on this one ^_^

Hi!

I tried to record my flash charging up but I need an environment with less noise... damn it's too hot in here and I need all kind of fans running or I think everything will burn up... I hate summer :(

I'm gettin new equipment soon, I'll try to record it then (yeah, hwat I need is conditioned air :( )

Micah, the BFG is kind of the thing I was thinking but if you read below you'll understand what I wa trying to acheive.

Xcen, A friend of mine does some voice over work and radio advertising and he uses his computer. How he does it is he gets a thin cloth (like a cleaning cleaning cloth and places it over the mike. That kills breath sounds and stuff but keeps clarity of his voice. To muffle any outside sounds he uses a thick blanket or duvet over himself and to hear his stuff you'd think you'd think it had been recorded in a studio. Maybe that'd help with your capturing the sound?

Disclamer, I'm not going to be responsible for any ridicule you guys get from talking to your computer under a duvet. In fact I'll deny you exist :D

To the concept for the sound.

I was thingking the sound should be like noise an SLR 35mm camera flash makes. That sort of a bass poof noise as the flash goes off followed by the capacitors rechearging, that increasing pitch whistle. The increasing pitch noise it the capacitors charging.

Say four capacitor whines for the rifle, maybe timeshifting each one by a few microseconds to get the effect of multiple capacitors followed by the 'DOOF' noise of the weapon discharging. The discharge noise could well be quite bass intensive, ok not earth shaking but something that'll feel good to fire :)

For the pistol the bass should be lifted by quite a bit and the heavy laser should have a heavy bass effect to it. Maybe put extra capacitors in there maybe eight?

For the hit of the laser, the visual effect will be a very bright flash and the noise should reflect that, have you ever heard lightining close up? Apart from being incredibly scary (I'm speaking from personal experience, about 30ft away from me) the sound is really unique. I'll try to describe it as best I can. It's like the air is being split apart its an incredibly violent noise like instant ripping of paper the size of a house. Tie that into a large spark jumping a gap and you've got the sort of sound it makes. Its bloody loud too :D

In reality there wouldn't be a pause between the laser discharge and the hit but I'm thinking for the purposes fo the game the sound could be a second long. In that there's a click of the trigger (barely audible) capacitor charging, and laser discharge 'DOOF' (sorry, I like that sound ) followed by the hit noise.

We'd need two sounds for each weapon, one without the hit noise and one with as some shots won't hit anything.

for laser sounds, i like PSU! [img]http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/laser3.gif[/img]

generaly, everything you said should sound good deimos. only thing i disagree on is the pause between the shot and the hit sounds, from reading the laser/plasma thread it seems its gonna be a short lived static beam visualy so there isnt room for a second long pause between the shot and hit sounds.
i do like the idea of having two sounds though, but the hit sound should start at most 0.2 secs after (probaly less) and be a seperate event. im thinking that the panning on it (since it origionates from a different place in the battle screen) should distinguish it from the firing shot.

just out of interest, is 3d sound going to be implemented? cus thatd be cool

[quote]for laser sounds, i like PSU![/quote]

whats that?

Sorry if that sounded wrong, I meant the whole sound should last at an absolute maximum a second. If anything the pause between discharge and hit should be a fraction of a second. That would have to be tweaked to fit with the visual effect. Of course having the actual laser sound and the hit sound seperate will help bigtime. :)

ok, cool. going to start work on that now. cant find a decent lightning strike either (presumably cus anything that loud would just clip all to heck). i'll use it as a guideto what it should sound like though.

oh yeh, and i will post unfinished versions since everyones comments are really helpful. as long as it doesnt get on anyones nerves :)

with PSU i mean, try saying pesu, very quickly. Sounds like a laser effect?

...Maybe its just me...

LOL yes it was that i was after! :D :D :D

maybe a bit sloooower, and it might even work?

I've tried adjusting it! i found some amazing sounds! hehe!

...but i like the music of the 80's better :rolleyes:

sorry, we're keeping away from dodgy synth sounds here ;)

if you like that kind of thing get stomper hyperion, its a funky little freeware analoge drum synth, then you can tweak to your hearts content :)

hmmm....it sounds more like something for the stun rod, like a massive energy jolt, not like something for the laser weapons...

Yeah I'd agree with mikker there. At the moment there's no way around the fact that it's a flashgun. Have you had any luck with the capacitor charging noise yet? I think if the charging whine goes in front of the initial flash sound withouth the raising pich noise after it it might be better.

I was rifling through my old cd's (I've gto too many:)) and found some zips of FX sounds. I obviously kept them as they'd come in handy one day. Anyway here's the first one. Hopefully there'll be some useful base sounds in them for use on the project.

i recently got dsl and have discovered the joys of playing bounce on half life against 15 people with virtualy no lag :D:D... so i'll try again with the laser sound propaly soon, honest :rolleyes:

anyway, this ones better, if its no good for the lazer im sure we could find something for it. Edited by hippyjon

Guest Jim69
I am really crap at explaining noises, but oh well, I'll try :unsure:

I think that if the last sound posted was the second part of the sound, kinda like a release, with some kind of charging noise b4 it would sound pretty damn good.

Sounds like a chain hitting a fence post (metalic)... :huh: ...maybe when I hear the whole sound (charging and firing) it will sound more like a laser...this is for the laser_take3 that is

rev, i got that idea too. the camera charge idea is really cool. for 3 automatic it could charge once in the beginning and then fire the 3 bursts.

just commenting on some ideas. while i was reading it i was thinking how they would do 3 round bursts. i thought it would be too slow if you charged each one, but im not sure.

sorry ive been so lazy recently, its too hot for me (:Blush: <=== me being too hot)

anyway, i thought id better get back into it so here is my latest completley new attempt at the laser firing noise

:laser:

Might try lowering the frequency some and maybe extended the end so it fades off more slowly. It's a little bit uncomfortable to listen to atm.

Of course, that might make it good for an alien attack sound of some sort.

• 2 weeks later...
hey thats not bad, not sure about the double attack though, played with your version, see what you think...

definatly easier to listen to (than my version i mean :D)

edit: newer and better version below. Edited by hippyjon

Definitely better. I added the double attack because something
seemed to be missing. It ended up sounding like a blaster from
Star Wars. I couldn't decide if that was a good or bad thing..

It still doesn't seem quite right. I can't put my finger on it though.

Moving in the right direction though.

• 4 weeks later...
Woah late reply Deimos: we're talking about too many goddamned fans running here :) a cloth won't help though it's a good trick.

Hippyjon: I just got a camera I'm gonna try to sample sounds with that and work with it a little...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Laser 5 is cool. I like the discharge-ZORTCH sound to it. It sounds like a laser rifle. I wonder, how would it sound with a light gust of wind? Like the air is getting heated by the laser? It might be a nifty thing for the heavy laser.

ok, modified it for the laser cannon. i have a feeling the pistol is going to be a pain...

edit: latest versions of cannon rifle and pistol below. i also think that the attatchment was 32-bit... please feel free to shoot me if i upload 32-bit sounds, they won't play on most things. (or at least let me know) Edited by hippyjon

• 1 month later...
If you need some weapon sounds maybe you should visit [url="http://www.a1freesoundeffects.com/weapons.html"]A1 Weapon Sound Effects[/url]. These sounds are free for non-commercial use and because Xenocide is to be a non-commercial project this means that there should be no problem with copyrights or sth like this.

• 4 weeks later...
Big lasers make noise.
Electricity on the starting end, and everything suddenly melting on the receiving end. :)

The air itself might make some noise with really powerful lasers, but I'm not a laserologist. :rolleyes: