XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Creative Text Writers Post Here

Guest Syntax Error

Guest Syntax Error

If you need a french translator, you can count on me, i ll do my best.

I know every details about UFO (enemies, weapons, story, ...)

But i would like to write texts in english, i have a lot of ideas.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll have to register an acount here if you want to help out, and then an admin can give you recruit status, giving you the ability to contribute in the workshops.

If you're registered you can also PM project members, and if you're looking into writing up descriptions, storylines or whatever, I'd think it's best to contact Breunor for now.

There are no process for translations so far, but it will be added in the future. Keep your eyes open, there will be an announcment about it.

Admins, maybe it is worth to put some announcement in the lobby, as I have seen 2 such requests this week.

This is a CTD issue I should think. They should figure out what they want to do. Programming should interface with them with respect to dealing with "funny" characters.

It is mutual issue. Progs and CTDs needs to work out the common process on how what is written/translated is used in what is coded. For example, where to look for French files?

Also, Arts are involved too, because there might be adjustments in UI layouts (for example, German translation does not fit on the button).

Good God J'ordos is actually swaggering! :o
Why when I see jordos' post I think about pirates? <_>

:huh?: *2

@Stewart: Just what about my post do you consider swaggering? I didn't even know you could understand Dutch? :o

Or do you consider me typing in my mother tongue swaggering? :blink:

@Mamutas: you probably have some (very) good childhood memories watching pirate films :P

I cant beleive it.... Xenocide Project..... :D

i was dreaming about it.... a new version on x-com : ufo....

hey.. if i can do anything to help... it would be a pleasure....

i can translate english - french ...

or maybe write some music.... i have ******* good idea for music... :rock:

of all kind... but if you like techno stuff i would be in heaven... :Blush:

hit me back....

i m not a great programmer but i am an artist and i like x-com over all....

Dear people of the Creative Writing Department...

I have recently found this forum, but have long been following the development of Xenocide, it seems as the project evolves it needs more writers, I'm willing to do both story-line writing and writings of small stories to go into for instance guides and manuals... I have previously published both poetry and shortstories but not about anything Sci-Fi, actually my normal area of writing is philosophy, etics and moral...

I speak and write Danish, English and German, so I could also help translating what has already been written, and deliever my own writings in all languages, not that I think there will be much need for Danish...

Christian

P.S. I see that I already got blue colour thingie, is there anywhere I can read about who has got which colours and why...

Edited by X-Clu-Zif

A post in the "contact the admin" forum has everything you need.

Here is the gist of it though

Newbs with 0 posts= Green :)

Members with one post= Aqua

Project Member recruits= Blue

Project Members=purple

Moderators=Pink

Global Moderators=Red

Admins=Orange

Banned=White

Googlebots & Plantiffs=Black

Project members and recruits can post in the workshops. The majority of work in xenocide is done in the workshops. For instance, the CTD, of which I am a part (and you will be eventually) does most of its work in the X-net and story parts of the workshops. Here Clicky, Clicky is a link to the CTD assets list (so we know who is working on what.) You may want to check out the art assets list too, to see what you are going to base your CT off of. For instance, say you are doing the plasma cannon, you would look at the model and base your text off of that. If you want any help, just ask one of the seniors, or one of the CTD members for assistance.

Welcome to Xenocide!

Ohh yeah,Here is the link to the art assets list.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm. I see.

As part of the CTD, you will work on the story, and the descriptions for items/technologies. Are you comfortable with that? To start with here, Clicky, Clicky is the CTD assets list where it says who is working on what. Once you are done with a text, post it in the X-net workshop (or the story workshop if it belongs there) to let us give it critique. You should check that your text conforms to the model (if applicable) because the text will get changed before the model.

You will soon be made a recruit, so you will have the ability to post in the workshops and contribute to xenocide discussions.

Welcome to Xenocide.

The first part was posting in here stating your intention to help so the appropriate admin can elevate you to recruit. Like I mentioned in the PM you can then see the working forums and see which items are available to work on. You can pick whichever entry you like to work on, just realise that changes are sometimes required to match changes in other entries it might be based on, and there will be lots of comments by other members about content. Everybody has their own perspective, so just be aware that your first draft might receive lots of comments and can evolve quite a bit. If nothing on the list catches your eye let me know and I'll pick a name from my hat. ^_^

Guest Historian

Hey all,

I've just noticed this project and I'm hyped up to help.

I'm pretty good with english and I'd like to think I'm very creative.

I can also come up with many different concepts for new weapons, armors etc

I'm also pretty good with new mechanics. I believe I can come up with some interesting novel stuff for this game.

Aaaanyway, is there any room in the creative Department for more?

Anyone I should PM? Anywhere I should post new ideas?

PS : Facehugger, are you the same as in the ufoaftermath.co.uk forums? If so you may remeber me (you gave me a thumbs up there)

:happybanana: --- I just wanted to put this in. It's just so funny :)

Step one was good, you posted your interest in the recruitment center; thanks (many people post wherever)!

Step two is get your free account here and then use it to reply to this thread. Then we can make you a recruit.

Always glad to have new enthusiastic members!

Once you're a recruit you'll have access to additional forums, including areas for creative text. Once you have recruit status, PM me for details, or just take a look around the forums to settle in.

Funny, I thought I had logged in as soon as I registered. Oh well

So this is my Alias

Btw, I have some programming knowledge (mainly C and some basic VB) can I help in any way? is the language you're using (OpenGL was it?) easy to grasp if you know C?

• 2 weeks later...
Nope, we're always recruiting, we ask if you're interested to post in here to let us know. You can become a recruit and contribute to the work in progress during a probationary period.

Ok.I'm willing to participate as a CW and as a music writer.

As far as programming skills are concerned I'm at a very basic level(Hello world!) :devillaugh:

Just tell me what to do and I'll try to help however I can. Cheers

Recruitment is never over. :)

What would you like to do?

At any rate, an admin such as Stew or Micah will make you a recruit soon enough. From there, you will be able to post in the workshops. Each is subdivided into basic categories (CTD, Art, Prog, and Sound/Music) so you know where to go if you are an artist for example. Of course, you can post where ever you want, but put all xenocide work into the proper forum please. :)

Welcome to Xenocide!

Hi.

I'm an XCOM addict. It was the first PC game I really got into, and I still play it through at least once a year!

I live in Australia and I'm 20 years old. I've just finished second year at uni (bach. of info. tech.) and would really love to help out where I can for the experience and fun of it all!

I think I would be best suited for the following areas:

* Creative Text ( :idea: )

- I have chosen English electives at uni, and scored very well this year (high distinctions), so I would probably be of most use here. I also have a strong familiarity with the XCOM story lines (1, 2 & 3). I'm also continuing on with English studies next year at university.

* Programming ( :unsure: )

- I have completed an advanced Java programming course at uni this year, as well as learning basic (VERY basic) C, Perl and TCL/CSH/Javascript. I don't know how much use I would be here, but I want to learn and get the experience of working on a project such as this to help my uni studies next year.

Cheers, please contact me ASAP (esp. by email) if I can be of any use to the project!

Lets see. Programmers of any skill are required. Hence, if you can program, even a little and then do CTD work on the side then please do that.

Anyway, an admin will make you a recruit soon enough. Then you will be able to post in the workshops, where the majority of Xenocide work is done.

Welcome to Xenocide!

P.S. Someone else can Email him. Probably RK or Mamutas (prog dpt)

Cheers.

Happy to help out where I can.

I'm also learning PHP on the side, but I guess that has no relevance to a project such as this =p

Oh, and is it just me, or is UFO: Aftermath quite unpopular on these boards? :D

I know is entirerly FREAKIN' hard, but surely it's the best we've got so far? :LOL:

Uh, I think Cpl. needs to have a conversation with himself:

Cpl.: "Well, where can you help Burge?"

Cpl.: "Hence, if you can program, even a little and then do CTD work on the side then please do that."

Just kidding Cpl...

Anyway Burge, welcome aboard, you'll notice you are now a recruit, so you have access to the Workshop forums where we are discussing items for version 1. There is a X-Net forum listed there, where most creative writing is taking place. I believe LordT has been doing some web design for the site, you might contact him via PM to see if you can help there as well. Welcome aboard!

• 3 weeks later...

Heya all,

I would really enjoy to help you in your project in anyway possible but mostly in the creative text department. I am a better than average writer, have lots of good and sometimes original (gasps!) ideas. I just like to use these damn computers, not understand them. I really enjoyed the original X-com and all tactical games (for the most part) with my favorites being X-com, and the Jagged Alliance series. If you need a fresh writer with some good ideas, I would be more than happy to be a regular contributor to the project.

Thanks,

ChonkE

Question of the Day:

"124 grains of jacketed copper and lead at 1050 fps or the 230 grain hardball at 850fps?"

I know which I'd pick,

Do you?

• 2 weeks later...
Once you have recruit status, the CT list will be visible, welcome aboard + pm response. :)