XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Morale & "ranks"

Exo2000

Something I've noticed a lot in unbalanced number games (such as my 3v15) was the tendency for the outnumbered team to succumb to morale failure, despite supposedly being elite commandos or whatever. So here's something I was thinking of to compensate;

Morale & Ranks

Ranks work like you would expect. They alter morale total and the impact of things on morale. Ranks would be set under the gender/appearance areas and range from Rookie to Commander. Rookie being the lowest, Commander the highest. Rank could also bestow small statistical boosts, but increase the cost of a unit (perhaps significantly) to compensate, based on the unit's base cost, multiplied by some amount based on the rank. Thus a Commander-level unarmoured soldier will cost more, perhaps, than a Rookie-level flying suit, but a Commander-level flying suit will cost even more.

Commanders would also get bonuses to their health and 'absorbance' of damage to make sure they don't die too easily, of course. :wink1:

Example;

3 Commanders are pitched against 1 Commander and 14 Rookies.

One of the first team's Commanders is killed. Each of the enemy Rookies recieves a significant morale boost for killing a high-ranking enemy. The 'ally' Commanders are a little bit angered by this, but keep their cool.

However, the next turn, the enemy Commander is knocked off. The Rookies start losing their cool - they just lost a really high ranking officer! Some may even panic or be extremely shaken. Those who actually see or hear the Commander kick the bucket are hit the worst and may just panic straight away. Those not so close by will still know, but may not be so badly shaken. Naturally, the two ally Commanders get their morale up again. They just knocked off the enemy officer and are now only faced with a bunch of untrained and quite possibly routing rookies.

i favour a different method of morale handling that would be easier to implement:

A unit will ONLY lose morale if he/she:

-Hits one of your own men

-Is shot/shot at

-witnesses the Death of a team mate (within soldiers view only)

A unit will GAIN morale if he/she:

-Hits/kills an Enemy Agent

-Witnesses the death of an Enemy agent (within soldiers view only)

-Witnesses a Panicking Enemy agent (within soldiers view only)

Edited by Sporb

i favour a different method of morale handling that would be easier to implement:

A unit will ONLY lose morale if he/she:

-Hits one of your own men

-Is shot/shot at

-witnesses the Death of a team mate (within soldiers view only)

A unit will GAIN morale if he/she:

-Hits/kills an Enemy Agent

-Witnesses the death of an Enemy agent (within soldiers view only)

-Witnesses a Panicking Enemy agent (within soldiers view only)

adding to this list, if there were ranks of soldiers. witnessing the death of your leader

would be a major blow to the squads morale.

of course i enjoy the idea of ranks, as they could fit in nicely with the campaign idea i've been tossing around

(if anyone has played Necromunda or Mordheim games workshop games you can see how ufo could be adapted to a similar ruleset)

but at this point in time ranks/classes don't feel as important to input as fixing other issues, adding medkits, etc..

like the ideas tho!

If you read the source code, there is already some system resembling this. I think it's in squad.cpp or whatever the name of that file was.

i thought he was making a joke because its already implemented. <_<

as far as i know its implemented sorta. Troops make use of Morale but i dunno in which situations. I know that shooting at them makes them loose morale and that they regenerate a certain amount each turn but im not sure which other situations decrease it.

As for reading the scource code, good luck with that, i could never follow where it was going.

Edited by Sporb

I didn't mean any major overall changes in how morale is handled currently, just that ranks would act as a kind of modifier or mutator to total morale, and the impact of these events on your soldiers. A Commander under fire won't crack as easily as a Rookie under fire, etc.

The system you [sporb] described is pretty much already in place, I see no need to change how it's handled in the basics. Soldiers definitely lose morale when teammates are killed, and regain morale when enemies are killed.

And there's no way in heck I'm touching the source code. :P

Edited by Exo2000

• 4 months later...