XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Commits intended for Xenocide Main

Mad

This thread is intended for independent contributors to PX. If you would like to contribute to PX, but you know you won't be able to commit on a regular basis, please post your work in this thread.

By posting in this thread you automatically put your work under our CC-Share alike license, for Project Xenocide to use it, as described in the following license:

The code of Xenocide is copyrighted by the Creative Commons (CC) under the Creative Commons Legal Code (CCLC). This basically means that anyone is free to download the source code and related materials that it creates (with the exception of a distribution fee, if there is any). The "code" includes images, text, sound, music, etc., that is included in a copy of the works that are collectively called "Xenocide." As a project member, you acknowledge that all submissions you make to the project are licensed by you, to Project Xenocide, under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License. This process ensures that you retain ownership of the work, while granting us as Project Xenocide the right to use and/or modify your submission, provided we give you credit and release our work under the same license or a similar license that share the same spirit. This applies to all submissions you make, regardless of their incorporation into any Project Xenocide release. Your submitted work cannot be used by any other party without your written agreement.

For a full discourse on the CCLC, please visit this site:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/

The Project Xenocide development team will take your work into serious consideration.

Please also have a look at the concept art / fan art thread.

Edited by Mad

Hi,

I've attached a piece of work for review by the dev team. It's the beginnings of a icon based Hud system for the GeoScape.

Hud.jpg

At the moment it will draw icons for

• Outposts (with indicator if base has an aircraft ready for intercept)
  • Aircraft
  • Known UFO's

Hovering over any icon will show the name of that object and will fire the standard 'Mouseover' sound effect. For the moment I've commented out the geoMarker calls.

All icons are drawn using XNA RoundLine, which has some nice (if limited) drawing tools.

I'm new to 3D and XNA so the hardest part has been trying to work in , rather than wedge in, the code in to the geoscape. This is in addition to trying to figure out what all that 3D code does! There is a lot in here I need to improve (The 3d -> screen pixel transformation is a bit of a hack and wont scale at the moment), it's mainly meant as a way for you to see the concept.

I'd appreciate any feedback you have or any optimisations you feel can be made, and whether or not you think it's worthwhile me continuing. SVN patch file is attached to this post.

Be gentle!

GeoHud.zip

This is some nice work, thank you! I very much like the idea with the mouse-over information. I see two potential problems here: first, one might loose oversight - as it sometimes happened in UFO, so maybe you could print the name of the object (UFO-232, Base Europe1...) in small letters below or above the icon itself, enhanced statistics/information would be shown at mouse-over, and second, we were going for 3D icons, so you can actually see a UFO/Base indicator on the horizon before the ground it is over is visible. I have not tried/reviewed your patch (that would better be done by someone from PRG), so it might even do this, but if not, do you think you could include something like it?

Edit: Maybe you could also have a look at http://www.projectxenocide.com/images/geos...rtgeo12-800.jpg and the rest of our gallery. There are quite some designs in there we always wanted to integrate/have, but never found the time to do.

Edited by Mad

I had a quick look at it, and I must say, it looks promising. However, icons should not show if they are on the side of earth facing away from the camera/user. If anyone is interested, a "nightly" build is available over here, however, as usual with untested software please be careful with this. It could even make your PC explode. Or steal cookies from your cookie jar. Or transform your PC into a Zombie. I have just skipped through the code. And as usual nobody but yourself is responsible for anything that might or might not happen after you download this. :)

Edit: Zip was broken - fixed it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Edited by Mad

Hi,

I've attached a piece of work for review by the dev team. It's the beginnings of a icon based Hud system for the GeoScape.

I'm new to 3D and XNA so the hardest part has been trying to work in , rather than wedge in, the code in to the geoscape. This is in addition to trying to figure out what all that 3D code does! There is a lot in here I need to improve (The 3d -> screen pixel transformation is a bit of a hack and wont scale at the moment), it's mainly meant as a way for you to see the concept.

I'd appreciate any feedback you have or any optimisations you feel can be made, and whether or not you think it's worthwhile me continuing. SVN patch file is attached to this post.

Be gentle!

GeoHud.zip

Thanks for the submission. Sorry for delay in getting back. (I don't vist the forum much I'm afraid.) I'll try to have a look at the patch in the next day or two and get back to you. A small comment, have a read of the documents in http://svn.projectxenocide.com/xenocide/xna/trunk/docs, starting wih aa-readme, they should give you a good overview of how the code works. Other than that, if you've got any questions. PM me.

Cheers,

David

Edited by dteviot

This is some nice work, thank you! I very much like the idea with the mouse-over information. I see two potential problems here: first, one might loose oversight - as it sometimes happened in UFO, so maybe you could print the name of the object (UFO-232, Base Europe1...) in small letters below or above the icon itself, enhanced statistics/information would be shown at mouse-over, and second, we were going for 3D icons, so you can actually see a UFO/Base indicator on the horizon before the ground it is over is visible. I have not tried/reviewed your patch (that would better be done by someone from PRG), so it might even do this, but if not, do you think you could include something like it?

Edit: Maybe you could also have a look at http://www.projectxenocide.com/images/geos...rtgeo12-800.jpg and the rest of our gallery. There are quite some designs in there we always wanted to integrate/have, but never found the time to do.

Hi and Thanks!

I'm currently looking into how to occlude the icons based on the camera position (which I'm thinking may be a function similar to calculating where the night texture is applied). When I can work out if they should be 'visible' or not, i might then half-tone and reduce the size of the icon, and turn off blinking. Hopefully this should indicate it's position 'behind' the globe without cluttering the screen with brightly coloured flashing dots.

Also, one other artefact of having the icons drawn in this manner, is that the clickable 'hit-box' for a given geo-object is then consistent whatever the view level is set to. i.e. if a 20x20 icon is drawn over the geoposition, that will be the clickable areas for it, whatever the zoom level. I'd noticed than when on max zoom, the hit box for an object was quite a large area.

I might have to go off-line for a week or so and read the basics about all this matrix (schmatrix!) stuff first to fully understand the code and write a proper function to do it. If you have any links to good articles on this that would be great!

Hi all,

This is where I'm at currently.

Icons will now occlude when on the opposing side of the Earth from the camera. Rather than dissapear completely, they get a small colour coded blip to indicate their position.

Forward View...

UpdatedGeoHud.jpg

..and from behind...

theotherside.jpg

The icons don't come out to well in those screen shots, but they are a lot more visible when you see them blinking on-screen.

Some other changes made:

• All objects now show a multi-line descriptive text underneath the time advance buttons giving detailed info, and will show a smaller tool tip directly underneath the object. ( And now I'm thinking that Although the text is a good use of the space, a flashcard for the object would be even better. Imagine an old style Interception Window or Base Layout view being displayed there. )
  • The red and blue dots on either side of the xcom base icons indicate wether there is a craft ready and waiting capable of either interception or recovery respectively.
  • Ufo's have seperate crash/flying icons.
  • All icons now spin when you hover over them.

I'll add another patch soon, just finishing off the first set of basic icons and making sure that code is upto scratch.

Very nice! Good work! If I may: maybe you could make the icons "behind" the globe a little smaller, they still seem pretty large to me. And maybe have a look over here his icons are mostly like yours, but the rectangular have a little more flair, maybe this could inspire you gfx/design wise.

Hi and Thanks!

I'm currently looking into how to occlude the icons based on the camera position (which I'm thinking may be a function similar to calculating where the night texture is applied). When I can work out if they should be 'visible' or not, i might then half-tone and reduce the size of the icon, and turn off blinking. Hopefully this should indicate it's position 'behind' the globe without cluttering the screen with brightly coloured flashing dots.

Sorry for delay in responding. Had a busy week at work, and have been ill the last couple of days.

Observations/Questions from examination of post on Tuesday.

1. What is the copyright on the Roundline code?

2. CreateHudIcon()'s "Recovery" option doesn't appear to be used, and it's not clear what the "Intercept" does. (Well, it draws another line on the icon, but what does it mean?)

3. Using strings to set mode for CreateHudIcon() is crude. Enum is preferred technique.

4. Duplicated code, for detecting mouse near an icon and putting up the object's text in DrawUFOIcon(), DrawAircraftIcon() and DrawOutpostIcon(). Should be pulled into own function.

5. GeoHud.cs has no copyright notice.

6. I'll also add, I suspect a simpler, more flexible, and more efficient way of drawing the HUD symbols would be to use a sprite map. (Similar to how text is done.)

Note, until copyright is answered, I can't add your code to the SVN repository.

Hi and Thanks!

Sorry for delay in responding. Had a busy week at work, and have been ill the last couple of days.

Observations/Questions from examination of post on Tuesday.

1. What is the copyright on the Roundline code?

2. CreateHudIcon()'s "Recovery" option doesn't appear to be used, and it's not clear what the "Intercept" does. (Well, it draws another line on the icon, but what does it mean?

3. Using strings to set mode for CreateHudIcon() is crude. Enum is preferred technique.

4. Duplicated code, for detecting mouse near an icon and putting up the object's text in DrawUFOIcon(), DrawAircraftIcon() and DrawOutpostIcon(). Should be pulled into own function.

5. GeoHud.cs has no copyright notice.

6. I'll also add, I suspect a simpler, more flexible, and more efficient way of drawing the HUD symbols would be to use a sprite map. (Similar to how text is done.)

Note, until copyright is answered, I can't add your code to the SVN repository.

Thanks for the feedback. Roundline uses a Microsoft Public Licence which appears to be very similar to the one referenced in this thread. But i'll look into point 6 which may render roundline usage moot.

The recovery and intercept options are intended to indicate whether an outpost has a craft that is ready for interception (fuelled and armed) or a craft that is ready for recovery (fuelled and can carry passengers). If you look at the latest screen shot, these are now red and blue blips on either side of the outpost icon.

3-6 I'll pickup.

Thanks again for reviewing it, appreciated!

I think the licenses are compatible. We don't use patents, so that section is off, share-alike is common in both licenses. We impose non-commercial, but we use the Roundline source as a library (right?). As long as we don't modify roundline, we won't have a problem.

That's of course my personal opinion, and I'm no lawyer.

It occurs to me a better example of the use of a sprite sheet is the equip soldier screen (which is done entirely with spritesheets.)

See: trunk\Xenocide\Source\UI\Scenes\EquipSoldier and trunk\Xenocide\Source\UI\Screens\EquipSoldier

I think your 100% right in suggesting sprite maps, after about an hour of looking into it, it's so much easier to use . I'll look equip screen example, I'd been looking at some other web examples, but hadn't occurred that we be using it in-game somewhere.

Cheers!

Attached SVN patch will persist sound options.

I've added a new class to Utils.cs called GameFiles, this contains methods found in LoadSaveGameScreen.cs which I used as the basis for the load/save methods. I've tried to make it as generic as possible, it's only missing writing the SaveGameHeader data, which I wasn't sure was relevant in this scenario. If you think this is heading in the right direction, I can update LoadSaveGameScreen.cs to use this.

Some questions on this

• Do the folder and file paths belong in the string resources file?
  • I've assumed that not being able to load/save an options file is not a fatal error. Is there any existing log file where details of IO problems can be written too? Should it wipe an option file if it detects an older version?

I have some changes out on the project file from the GeoHud work, so didn't include this in the patch. You'll need to add Source\Model\GameOptions.cs to the project.

SaveGameOptions.zip

I tried the nightly build with PezzA's geoscape icons. They look ok, though I would suggest that when the icons are behind the globe, the icons should more opaque. if not possible, then just take it out entirely. it made the whole experience confusing. Edited by gu35s

Updated version of GeoHud is attached, it's still a working copy.

It's remove's roundline and all icons are now based off Spritemaps (many thanks to gu35s for his artwork!). I've tried to make the occluded icons a little more subtle, see how it plays for you. The only icon it isn't drawing at the moment are landed ufo's. Couldn't quite see how to work that out, but will plug away at it. Also, all items have hover over text shown underneath the time controls now. For most this is just the name for now, the aircraft has a little more details on it.

I've not included the project file as it has other changes, so you'll need to add the following files to the project.

Content\Textures\GeoScape\iconSpriteMap.png

Source\Utils\SpriteMap.cs

Source\UI\Scenes\GeoScape\GeoHud.cs

Let me know what you think!

GeoHud3.zip

dteveiot,

Can i ask you a question about this...

1. the animation will always rotate until roll over and the rotation stop in it's track. no revert to original point.

2. the ring does not show at all and when rollover, the ring will fade in or zoom out from center with animation. then fade out or zoom into the center.

3. make a separate set for rollover so animation remains but when rollover, the neon lit up. that was supposed to be for the neon (not new neon) build but it ended up spinning instead. though now I know those icons don't work at all.

I totally agree with what gu35s is saying. But to manage a transitional effect (rotating to a certain point, or scaling up the outer spinning section of an icon) would require maintaining some sort of state of the icon across geoscapescene calls. Is there any whizz-bang way of doing this in XNA or would we need to introduce some sort of state for the icons. If so, where would you put it? Should the geohud maintain it's own state for each object. Or should I create an IGeoDisplay interface that each of the Geo object value types can implement and use to store the state?

Here is my model of a fire hydrant and its tga made in blender its only the low poly version with no textures.

Fire_Hydrant.zip

I guess your low poly is more than enough - after all it will "only" be a part of a larger map, thank you!

Edit: If you could provide a texture at some point this would be perfect. But don't worry if not, we'll find someone to texture it.

Edited by Mad

Here is my model of a fire hydrant and its tga made in blender its only the low poly version with no textures.

Fire_Hydrant.zip

I guess your low poly is more than enough - after all it will "only" be a part of a larger map, thank you!

When I get home today ill work on a high-poly version.

Low, Med, and High Poly vase no textures.

Vase.zip

Thanks, keep it coming, we need lots and lots of such small environmental items! You could also post modified versions of each theme, like 4 different versions of vases etc. Not every home looks the same.

I've stored your work in our svn for future use.

Edited by Mad

If anyone else is interested, we need tons of textures (especially textures!) and models! Just have a look over here and look if something tickles the little (or big) artist in you!

If you would like an overview first, please have a look at the artwork department progress sheet.

Edited by Mad

Five vases all different styles with no textures.

Vase_Package.zip

P.S. I hope you don't mind but Vase_00 is a remake of my old model so it would fit the type of style modeling I'm using right now. I also plan to learn how to texture sometime this week. :)

Edited by Zero Energy

Five vases all different styles with no textures.

Vase_Package.zip

P.S. I hope you don't mind but Vase_00 is a remake of my old model so it would fit the type of style modeling I'm using right now. I also plan to learn how to texture sometime this week. :)

Great thanks. Don't mind the remake, it is easier to administrate for me this way. And texturing would be great! :)

• 1 month later...

Introducing the all new and improved Psi Amp 3000!

Everything the Psionic trooper needs!

Featuring!

High class light weight titanium, for those nasty alien bites.

Adjustable straps to fit all sizes.

Classy elbow spikes, good for jabbing.

Our patented hands free design for easy movement and uses of your hands.

Duel AEHD Holographic displays.

A Built-in Psionic Amplifier with an amazing 500 meter range!

Good for lefties and righties.

Latest models come with your very own personal air conditioning unit.

Why delay get yours today be the coolest trooper on your base hurray!

Only $9.99 with shipping and handling.

Some assembly may be required

Straps not included.

Ok back to reality. This is my version of the psi amp. I wasn't sure how close we are sticking to the original so designed to amp to fit on the arm leaving the hand free. In the game it will probably still take up the hand inventory space but not have a accuracy penalty.

Ive added a pic of where it will be located on the arm.

There is 2 versions of the Amp named double and single. Double has 2 blades on the elbow and single has 1 blade.

Psi_Amp.zip

Edited by Zero Energy

I think the mk3 is more practical.

How do you visualize it? What parts will it consist of?

The picture of the mk1 with the arm was just to show you where it is to be placed on the arm. Sorry if that confused you, I was just being lazy and didn't feel like making another quicky arm for the mk3. but anyways for you I did another arm.

Psi_Amp_mk03_High_Poly_Example.jpg

The entire thing will consist of the main body, the 2 holo-screens, and the straps.

As for using it, the interior of it is lined with a skin sensitive material that allows the trooper to interact with it mentally. It also has the holo-emiters that display the battle field in 3D and detect enemy movement.

The picture of the mk1 with the arm was just to show you where it is to be placed on the arm. Sorry if that confused you, I was just being lazy and didn't feel like making another quicky arm for the mk3. but anyways for you I did another arm.

The entire thing will consist of the main body, the 2 holo-screens, and the straps.

As for using it, the interior of it is lined with a skin sensitive material that allows the trooper to interact with it mentally. It also has the holo-emitters that display the battle field in 3D and detect enemy movement.

Nice! So this psi-amp will also work as a replacement for the movement detector? Will the user be able to perform a "remote attack" on a target he can't see but whom he can detect via the psi-amp?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello PX team, I have spoken with some of you so you know who am I. For the rest, my name is Carlos and I am another X-Com fan who wants to join the project as a programmer.

Here are two patches.

The first one is very small, it only updates Psi Skill at the end of the month and has a Yes/No dialog to confirm removing a soldier from Psi training.

It contains two diff files, one has some "hacks" to test the functionality better:

PsiSkillUpdate.diff:

- Modifies Xenocide/Source/Model/Geoscape/XCorp/XCorp.cs, to handle end of month Psi Skill update.

- Modifies Xenocide/Source/UI/Screens/SoldiersListScreen.cs for two reasons:

- Add a "In Psi Training" entry to the attribute list, I think this is a bit of a hack too, but is probably the best place to show that information at the moment.

- Add a Yes/No dialog when removing a soldier from Psi training. Note there is a ToDo in there that should be taken care when "In Psi Training" is removed from the attribute list.

- Adds an entry to Xenocide/Resources/Strings.resx, for the Yes/No dialog text.

PsiSkillUpdateWithHacks.diff:

- Same modifications as the above file.

- Modifies Xenocide/Source/Model/Geoscape/GeoEvents/MessageBoxGeoEvent.cs, so the time doesn't stop when an UFO is detected. This makes easy to reach the end of the month.

- Modifies Xenocide/Source/UI/Screens/SoldiersListScreen.cs, comments out the "Debug.Assert(false)" when populating the attributes list, this is because currently not all statistics are handled before the default clause making impossible to open the Soldiers Screen from the base and thus testing Psi Training. The other option would have been adding all missing statistics to the switch, but for testing purpose this was faster and eventually all statistics will be handled properly.

The second patch is a bit bigger, it implements finding a missed location for a shot.

- Modifies Xenocide/Source/Model/Battlescape/Combatants/Orders/ShootOrder.cs:

- Implement the proposed logic for finding a miss shot location with the exception that the radius is capped by the Manhattan distance from the shooter and the target. This code could be written in many different ways, I chose to go trough all cells from (-radius, -radius) to (+radius, +radius) and check if they are closer than radius. Another possibility could have been going trough cells that are in fact in range, this can be achieved with simple code but needs to check for repeated cells, e.g. (+0, y) and (-0, y); or have a complex and ugly code that handles cases with 0 distance for some component separately.

- Some small modifications along the file to ensure that hitting another combatant actually hurts it.

- BUG FIX: Added a check when killing a combatant so there isn't an achievement recorded when you kill someone from your own team. For XCorp only killing aliens are considered achievements. For aliens currently it only checks if victim isn't an alien, hence killing a civilian will give him an achievement. This may not be the intended behavior but is better than getting achievements for killing friends or civilians at will.

- Modifies Xenocide/Source/Model/Battlescape/Team.cs:

BUG FIX: Check if a combatant is dead before bleeding him, without this you can start a battlescape and kill some other XCorp friends and click on the finish turn. If at least one of them died he will be removed from the terrain. At the end of the turn, when bleeding, the system will try to remove him from the terrain again and the "Debug.Assert(combatant.CombatantId == cells[index].CombatantId);" will fail.

I didn't remove any of the "ToDo"s I implemented, I did this so it can be easier to compare the actual code with the reasoning behind it.

I'm looking forward hearing any suggestions, comments or corrections you may have, hope you like it.

Thanks, sorry for the post being very long,

Carlos

PsiSkillUpdate.zip

MissedShotLocation.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for my absence.

Work has been brutal the last month (and will be for probaly the rest of the year. There's a multimillion dollar contract we're trying for, and we need to have the software ready by Christmas, or it's off.)

As for my spare time, I got a copy of Overlord, and it's _REALLY_ addictive.

PsiSkillUpdate.diff:

I've accepted the PsiSkill patch. However, I do have a couple of comments.

• I haven't accepted stopping time when a UFO is detected. (In most cases, we DO want time to stop, however we could add a cheat code to disable this. Also note, your change stopped time when ANY Geoscape event occurred.)
  • I believe commenting out the Assert in SoldiersListScreen.AddStatistic() was wrong fix. The Debug is a saftely check to tell us when we've added a new stat and forgotten how we're going to display it. The correct fix is moving the fatal wounds completely (and probably stamina left) completely out of the Statistics and into it's own class. However, for the time being I've just added them to the "do not display" list.
  • The Tachyon Emissions Detector and Psi Facility should not be in the base by default, while putting them in makes testing Psi easier, they shouldn't be there for a normal game. (That is, it's fine to put them in for testing, but you shouldn't check them in as part of the base image.)

The second patch is a bit bigger, it implements finding a missed location for a shot.

Good catch with the bleeding out bug. However, I think a better place for the "if dead, don't check for bleeding" test is in Combatant.Bleed(). It's an encapsulation thing. Bleed() should know that dead people don't need to bleed. Team.onendOfTurn() doesn't need to know.

I've accepted the Missed Shot Location code. In DamageCombatant() I'm not sure we need to record Alien success for experience. But I guess it does no harm to do so, in case we ever do use it.

Also note, please supply unit tests for your additions, when possible.

Edited by dteviot
bad request for unit tests.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys...

I wonder if this thread is still active.

I am an experienced 3d artist and i would like to contribute. If anyone could post any advice what's needed the most ( models , textures, UVLayouts) I will gladly try to make it happen.

I would really appreciate any hint how can I best serve the idea of the project.

Cheers...

Greetings :)

As I've said to Queenhunter in another thread:

The only active FOSS projects at the moment (that are worth their salt) are UFO: AI, UFO2K, ufo tts, xcom origin and openxcom. You should probably head over to UFO tts or UFO AI, as they are the most near-completion projects.

Xcom origin is also promising, and misiek clearly bets on that project :)

I presume that sometime Xenocide's C# branch will be merged with the C++ one, which in turn will be optimized in terms of developer productivity (less dependencies, latest version of libraries etc). Until then, focus elsewhere, but don't forget about us :D

Guest Azrael Strife
Greetings :)

As I've said to Queenhunter in another thread:

The only active FOSS projects at the moment (that are worth their salt) are UFO: AI, UFO2K, ufo tts, xcom origin and openxcom. You should probably head over to UFO tts or UFO AI, as they are the most near-completion projects.

Xcom origin is also promising, and misiek clearly bets on that project :)

I presume that sometime Xenocide's C# branch will be merged with the C++ one, which in turn will be optimized in terms of developer productivity (less dependencies, latest version of libraries etc). Until then, focus elsewhere, but don't forget about us :D

You cannot merge a C# branch with a C++ branch.